cal's monster class deux

Alkiadt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842828871 said:

still a big fan of coach wyking but if he doesn't return texts & phone calls of walk on prospects, recruits & their aau/high school coaches it will eventually be damaging to cal basketball recruiting & limit the upward trajectory of his career

transparency of communication (disregard nobody)#


Really damaging stuff.
If you have an issue, why don't you call him personally?
Publicly posting this stuff isn't helping.
You're just a donor. Don't try to be anything else.
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?



yoga/meditation enlightenment (braun can't spell)#:bravo
89Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842828871 said:

still a big fan of coach wyking but if he doesn't return texts & phone calls of walk on prospects, recruits & their aau/high school coaches it will eventually be damaging to cal basketball recruiting & limit the upward trajectory of his career

transparency of communication (disregard nobody)#


Probably a quicker and more productive way to notify him, IF that is your goal. However, I'm not sure what the goal of your post was.
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
89Bear;842828885 said:

Probably a quicker and more productive way to notify him, IF that is your goal. However, I'm not sure what the goal of your post was.


how do you know that i didn't reach out to wyking (and o'toole) last week re: this issue?

not transparently dealing with issues is seldom the solution to anything, for those that think avoiding reality is the best course of action, my advice is don't read the monster
Bobodeluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842828793 said:

i don't got an ex

everybody loves shocky#


Good. You have already forgotten Martin.
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bobodeluxe;842828888 said:

Good. You have already forgotten Martin.


let's be real here, bobo, martin is not a curvy brunette yoga female with a flat stomach...still can't believe that trevin, juhwan & justice weren't named to the mcdonalds all american west team, that's just wrong

[video=youtube;Ik6wSjownnA][/video]
OldBlue1999
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Given the way the last recruiing cycle played out I wouldn't be surprised if Jones has legitimate reasons for distancing the Cal program from certain prospects.
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842828886 said:

how do you know that i didn't reach out to wyking (and o'toole) last week re: this issue?

not transparently dealing with issues is seldom the solution to anything, for those that think avoiding reality is the best course of action, my advice is don't read the monster


update: wyking did reach out to las vegas & communicated cal's position, something got lost in translation between them

forward & onward#
bearchamp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, Shocky's rant on Wyking and communication is just fiction. Nice.
parentswerebears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any word on when we will hear about assistant coaches? And I know its not, but the recruiting scene is very quiet right now. I am wondering what brilliance Coach is cooking up behind the scenes... Usually, Cal would have been mentioned with some of these transfers and recruits reopening their process. I am hoping that Jones is just a little more discreet than other coaches have been.
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
parentswerebears;842828916 said:

Any word on when we will hear about assistant coaches? And I know its not, but the recruiting scene is very quiet right now. I am wondering what brilliance Coach is cooking up behind the scenes...


late next week
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearchamp;842828914 said:

So, Shocky's rant on Wyking and communication is just fiction. Nice.


not at all, the problem got solved
Alkiadt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842828903 said:

update: wyking did reach out to las vegas & communicated cal's position, something got lost in translation between them

forward & onward#


Why am I not surprised?
socaltownie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
parentswerebears;842828916 said:

Any word on when we will hear about assistant coaches? And I know its not, but the recruiting scene is very quiet right now. I am wondering what brilliance Coach is cooking up behind the scenes... Usually, Cal would have been mentioned with some of these transfers and recruits reopening their process. I am hoping that Jones is just a little more discreet than other coaches have been.


Are we not in a dead period? I looked it up last week on NCAA. You can as well.
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
socaltownie;842828925 said:

Are we not in a dead period? I looked it up last week on NCAA. You can as well.


the dead period is april 10th-13th

coaches & recruits can still communicate by texts, phone calls & letters but cannot meet in person

there's a lot going on right now
socaltownie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842828931 said:

the dead period is april 10th-13th

coaches & recruits can still communicate by texts, phone calls & letters but cannot meet in person

there's a lot going on right now


I couldn't remember the precise dates.

Thanks for adding.
parentswerebears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
socaltownie;842828925 said:

Are we not in a dead period? I looked it up last week on NCAA. You can as well.


There is always stuff going on behind the scenes. Recruiting never stops, even during dead periods.
89Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842828886 said:

how do you know that i didn't reach out to wyking (and o'toole) last week re: this issue?

not transparently dealing with issues is seldom the solution to anything, for those that think avoiding reality is the best course of action, my advice is don't read the monster


If you did reach out to him privately, why the need to put it on blast here???

If people push you, your reaction is always, "Don't read my thread."
Didn't realize you pulled all the strings here on this public board...
parentswerebears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842828931 said:

the dead period is april 10th-13th

coaches & recruits can still communicate by texts, phone calls & letters but cannot meet in person

there's a lot going on right now


That is what I figure. I almost picture Wyking with a big board on a wall, playing out scenarios with 3x5 cards with recruit and transfer's pics and stats on them. Probably, though, its a spreadsheet.
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Go Bears!
parentswerebears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chapman_is_Gone;842828962 said:

LOL at this train wreck of a thread.


Wrong. It is an experiment in the collective consciousness, programmed by creators of the Matrix to see if irrational thought and speech can lead to positive feelings and "actions." It kind of went awry and became an experiment to see how much bad news and near misses a population can take before they start to go insane or change their behavior/preferences. Actually, that is the purpose of the entirety of Cal sports.
89Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
parentswerebears;842828969 said:

Wrong. It is an experiment in the collective consciousness, programmed by creators of the Matrix to see if irrational thought and speech can lead to positive feelings and "actions." It kind of went awry and became an experiment to see how much bad news and near misses a population can take before they start to go insane or change their behavior/preferences. Actually, that is the purpose of the entirety of Cal sports.


:bravo
Well done!
OzoneTheCat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
parentswerebears;842828969 said:

Wrong. It is an experiment in the collective consciousness, programmed by creators of the Matrix to see if irrational thought and speech can lead to positive feelings and "actions." It kind of went awry and became an experiment to see how much bad news and near misses a population can take before they start to go insane or change their behavior/preferences. Actually, that is the purpose of the entirety of Cal sports.


There is no spoon
Bobodeluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OzoneTheCat;842829002 said:

There is no spoon


So, the Monster thread should have stopped after the first one?
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OzoneTheCat;842829002 said:

There is no spoon


ozone, that's not true

[video=youtube;fd6aXM8WHGw][/video]

bad news is relative (not having a yoga/meditation practice is catastrophic)#
6956bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842828825 said:

both baker & sarr do not "want to risk their nba development" on an "unproven" head coach, martin & his track record of putting guys in the league was a key factor in their commitments to cal


What players has Martin "developed". He inherited Wallace and he recruited Brown and Rabb. Brown was a lottery pick the day he stepped on campus. Rabb also. However Rabb returned and is now no longer considered a lottery pick. Wallace is a unique player. A slasher that cannot shoot. And he is in the D league anyway. I think Martin had a guy at Tennessee who is in the NBA, but really he has not shown himself to be a "developer" of NBA talent. He has recruited some NBA level guys, but development not really IMO. Jones has been around some NBA talent at Louisville and he has been on staff during for one season with Wallace and Brown and 2 for Rabb. The "unproven " head coach part I get, developer of NBA talent I do not get.

If we are to believe that perhaps Wyking may be adding an assistant with NBA ties that could easily solve the development question. IMO the biggest part of development is committing to the skills and strength development laid out by the staff. And that part of development is as much on the player as the staff. If you want to find your way into the NBA then get to a program where you can play and develop on the court assuming you have the requisite athletic ability and size to play in the NBA to begin with. So did Martin really try and sell the total "Cal package" to these recruits or just tell em come play for me and I will get you to the NBA? Seems to me if these guys were sold on the total Cal package they would not have bailed so quickly after a coaching change. But that's just me thinking aloud.
6956bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tsubamoto2001;842828829 said:

If that's the case, recruiting for 2018 will be a challenge. Wyking is going to have to go up against some heavy hitters for Brown, Taeshon Cherry, etc. without having coached a game.


That is why his staff selection is so critical. Lots of guys can sell the academics, but you need really good recruiters to sell against Arizona, UCLA and Oregon and now Gonzaga in the west. If Wyking is able to secure an assistant with NBA ties (Theo?) it may help in recruiting NBA level types. I think very few coaches actually develop players for the NBA. The use players to win now. Any development comes from individual hard work and game experience. College coaches do not have the time to spend really developing players. But NBA coaching experience can be a big help with those true "one and dones" that Cal is attempting to recruit.
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
6956, let's be real clear here, the martin "development" of nba talent is the perception of sarr & baker, not mine...they are both young men that got handlers with agendas in their ears

wyking has coached up multiple guys at both louisville & cal (jaylen & ivan) that got minted in the nba
mikecohen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
south bender;842828867 said:

MC, I cannot fathom why you would make anything of Shocky's post, other than that it shows our narcissist to be a first class a-hole.


Ad Hominem attacks nauseate me. I like Shocky - a lot - in many ways, not the least of which is that I can feel free about communicating anything with him, and it'll get received and dealt with in, to me, always, a satisfactory way -- and, at least in my own mind, I don't have much tolerance for B.S.
6956bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842829056 said:

6956, let's be real clear here, the martin "development" of nba talent is the perception of sarr & baker, not mine...they are both young men that got handlers with agendas in their ears

wyking has coached up multiple guys at both louisville & cal (jaylen & ivan) that got minted in the nba


Not saying that you believe it. Just pointing out that it is a false narrative. Wyking probably had more to do with any actual developing than Martin, since he actually worked with the bigs individually. Martin can and apparently did sell that "perception" to Sarr and Baker.
Bobodeluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842829056 said:

6956, let's be real clear here, the martin "development" of nba talent is the perception of sarr & baker, not mine...they are both young men that got handlers with agendas in their ears


[ATTACH=CONFIG]6311[/ATTACH]
philbert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842829056 said:

6956, let's be real clear here, the martin "development" of nba talent is the perception of sarr & baker, not mine...they are both young men that got handlers with agendas in their ears

wyking has coached up multiple guys at both louisville & cal (jaylen & ivan) that got minted in the nba


I hope they have other advisers who can set them straight. Realistically, it's likely too late for 2017 prospects. I think they need to focus more on transfers and 2018. Wyking needs some strong recruiters on his staff. Any thoughts on how good O'Toole is at recruiting?
tsubamoto2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
6956bear;842829050 said:

What players has Martin "developed". He inherited Wallace and he recruited Brown and Rabb. Brown was a lottery pick the day he stepped on campus. Rabb also. However Rabb returned and is now no longer considered a lottery pick. Wallace is a unique player. A slasher that cannot shoot. And he is in the D league anyway. I think Martin had a guy at Tennessee who is in the NBA, but really he has not shown himself to be a "developer" of NBA talent. He has recruited some NBA level guys, but development not really IMO. Jones has been around some NBA talent at Louisville and he has been on staff during for one season with Wallace and Brown and 2 for Rabb. The "unproven " head coach part I get, developer of NBA talent I do not get.

If we are to believe that perhaps Wyking may be adding an assistant with NBA ties that could easily solve the development question. IMO the biggest part of development is committing to the skills and strength development laid out by the staff. And that part of development is as much on the player as the staff. If you want to find your way into the NBA then get to a program where you can play and develop on the court assuming you have the requisite athletic ability and size to play in the NBA to begin with. So did Martin really try and sell the total "Cal package" to these recruits or just tell em come play for me and I will get you to the NBA? Seems to me if these guys were sold on the total Cal package they would not have bailed so quickly after a coaching change. But that's just me thinking aloud.


Martin had 3 guys from Tennessee get into the League: Josh Richardson, Jordan McRae, and Jarnell Stokes. Not saying he was some great developer of talent, but he had more than 1 guy.
CalEnviroLaw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842829056 said:

6956, let's be real clear here, the martin "development" of nba talent is the perception of sarr & baker, not mine...they are both young men that got handlers with agendas in their ears

wyking has coached up multiple guys at both louisville & cal (jaylen & ivan) that got minted in the nba


Why all the hand-wringing about Baker and Sarr?

Baker seemed like he might have been regressing his senior year. Sueing and JHD seem to be getting better and better. They were both named All CIF Southern Section first team, while Baker was not, even though his HS teammate Matt Mitchell (class of 2018) was. Cal has had more success with kids on the rise their senior year, e.g., Ryan Anderson, Allen Crabbe, etc. If I had to choose one of the three to lose out on, it would have to be Baker at this point. We shall see how that plays out, though.

As for Sarr, well he looked like a project. And Cal is fine for bigs next season, but bigs obviously will be a 2018 priority.
bluesaxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You've crystalized the entire experience. Very nice.

parentswerebears;842828969 said:

Wrong. It is an experiment in the collective consciousness, programmed by creators of the Matrix to see if irrational thought and speech can lead to positive feelings and "actions." It kind of went awry and became an experiment to see how much bad news and near misses a population can take before they start to go insane or change their behavior/preferences. Actually, that is the purpose of the entirety of Cal sports.
Page 125 of 186
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.