cal's monster class deux

1,375,716 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
parentswerebears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bobodeluxe;842832884 said:

I would donate my change can if that would help.

Same here. Cal Basketball is one of my sources of joy. I am still looking forward to being at Haas, rooting.
mikecohen
Shocky1;842832863 said:

mike told a donor last week that the dedicated practice facility can still be built, the unvarnished truth is that williams & athletic development director jeremy wang do not have even a lead donor anymore or a realistic plan to getting this done because of their dysfunctional communication skills...if it couldn't move forward with a $10 million dollars lead donation, how's it gonna be built with no fronting money?

Given your ability to communicate directly with the AD and his minions, the thought that occurs to me is to ask what response they have when presented with the facts which would strongly indicate that their assertion that "the dedicated practice facility can still be built" ranks with those of "Baghdad Bob's" that the American military was nowhere near Baghdad, as the bombs and artillery shells were audible in the background with ever-increasing volume and frequency - although, of course, that assertion, carrying no time frame, is probably more-or-less irrefutable, albeit perhaps best understood with the added riposte: "In your dreams".
HoopDreams
Jordan Fines of the Cal softball team

[video=youtube;CfbHhImSy4w][/video]
mikecohen
HoopDreams;842832917 said:

Jordan Fines of the Cal softball team

[video=youtube;CfbHhImSy4w][/video]

Following Shocky by putting pretty girls on the Board, I see.
Big C
socaliganbear;842832880 said:

If the Associate AD for Development isn't developing for the revenue sports, why is he employed?

Sounds like there is a HUGE aspect of the job that his boss (the guy who hired him, presumably) just doesn't "get".
pierrezo
stu;842832790 said:

[URL="http://blogs.dailynews.com/preps/2017/02/26/boys-basketball-war-floor-senior-night-valley-set-sat-april-15-burroughs-high/"][COLOR="#0000FF"]War on the Floor[/COLOR][/URL]

There's a young man named Remy Martin on Team 1.
Shocky1
pierrezo;842832932 said:

There's a young man named Remy Martin on Team 1.

remy is one of the fastest guards in california & asu signee...he has had disciplinary issues at sierra canyon which prevented him from transferring to chaminade
Shocky1
welcome walk on 6' guard jacob orender, a transfer from the lafayette leopards

http://www.goleopards.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/jacob_orender_966931.html

his moms donna is the former commissioner of the wnba

jacob is not a dumb azz, he got a 4.6 gpa at fletcher high school (jacksonville beach, florida) & likes them curvy brunette yoga females with flat stomachs too...orender is gonna challenge my boy nick "lil yachty" hamilton as the smartest bear of them all

clothes are for losers#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world:gobears:
Shocky1
OdontoBear66;842832990 said:

Might I suggest (not knowing) that the major donors may be so upset with the academic stifling of athletic programs (call it the Barsky effect) that they see their only recourse as to that unhappiness being expressed in holding back funds. Not that I like the idea, but seems to me, their choice. The academic side has never seemed to see the parallelism between funding for sports and academics.

100% not accurate, have yet to meet a donor or season tix holder that didn't celebrate the academics of the #1 public university in the world

donors are concerned with the dysfunctional communication (we'll call you when we need money but ignore all other requests for contact) in a non sales culture that is perceived to be wasteful with money & also not honest re: the misuse of meb funds on operational recruiting costs while the athletic director puts it out there that "dozens and dozens of donors were contacted" re: the head basketball coaching search when that's not even close to be a honest statement

martin left berkeley because he was done with "amateur hour"
UrsaMajor
What about your giving a lead gift, Shocky?
socaltownie
Shocky1;842832996 said:

the misuse of meb funds on operational recruiting costs

To me the firing offense is this. Of all the things in the monster thread this is the one I put the most faith in cause Shock has been REALLY clear that HE and people he knows/worked with/sold contributed to this fund and it was initiated and done in a way to build long-term assests for the program (scoreboards, tutoring center/repainting Gold Court).

YOU DO NOT SPEND (Quasi) ENDOWMENT MONEY FOR ON-GOING OPERATIONS. Indeed, so mad about that violation of Higher ed fundraising/operations 101 that I had to do it in all caps. Frankly I don't know if it is Martin or Williams (though I suspect the AD) but you do NOT SPEND ENDOWMENT ONLY ON RECRUITING TRIPS.

There are a ton of other things Williams/BB administrators seem to have been failing but this one is paramount

(And why? Because those donors who gave in past are going to have second and third thoughts in the future because the $$$ is being spent on short term operations rather than long term capacity building).
Shocky1
socal, martin was very upset that meb funds which were intended as discretionary funds for the head coach were misused on recruiting operational costs

not as big a deal as the practicing at berkeley high school 3 times last season but definitely a factor in the dealmaker's decision to exit berkeley's "amateur hour"

did you notice that during his introductory presser in missouri that he made a point of praising the administrators within their athletic department?
SRBear
They're taking their que from the government on how to spread the money around.
SRBear
I'd praise someone paying me $3 mil, too.
socaltownie
Shocky1;842833024 said:

socal, martin was very upset that meb funds which were intended as discretionary funds for the head coach were misused on recruiting operational costs

not as big a deal as the practicing at berkeley high school 3 times last season but definitely a factor in the dealmaker's decision to exit berkeley's "amateur hour"

did you notice that during his introductory presser in missouri that he made a point of praising the administrators within their athletic department?

Yeah - but the only thing I don't know (and that is why I said likely mostly williams but maybe martin is if the conversation went something like this...."

dealmaker: I need to fly to X to go see the best new thing play AAU and be seen in the stands and talk with his folks at halftime
Uncommunicative Dolt: We are already over budget cause you have been really putting on the miles at $.70 cents per to go see games in Elk Grove
Dealmaker: But this kid is DOPE and has a great GPA and Shock LOVES him cause he can feather a four iron AND hit a baseline jumper. I really need to go.
Uncommunicative Dolt: We could use the MEB
DealMaker: Don't do THAT! It is double dope! But I need to go.
Uncommunicative Dolt: Well it is that or you stay home and practce at BHS.
DealMaker: Grumble <thinks to himself that mizzu is likely to be open and humidity might be a ***** but one can learn to suffer>
Shocky1
socaltownie;842833038 said:

Yeah - but the only thing I don't know (and that is why I said likely mostly williams but maybe martin is if the conversation went something like this...."

dealmaker: I need to fly to X to go see the best new thing play AAU and be seen in the stands and talk with his folks at halftime
Uncommunicative Dolt: We are already over budget cause you have been really putting on the miles at $.70 cents per to go see games in Elk Grove
Dealmaker: But this kid is DOPE and has a great GPA and Shock LOVES him cause he can feather a four iron AND hit a baseline jumper. I really need to go.
Uncommunicative Dolt: We could use the MEB
DealMaker: Don't do THAT! It is double dope! But I need to go.
Uncommunicative Dolt: Well it is that or you stay home and practce at BHS.
DealMaker: Grumble <thinks to himself that mizzu is likely to be open and humidity might be a ***** but one can learn to suffer>

you got some talent, so cal

the martin departure started when his oldest son (3.67 gpa) was wait listed for cal, in speaking with roberta it was very clear that keeping the family together in berkeley was a priority

i told this to mike williams at last year's basketball banquet & he didn't seem too concerned...i followed up with a couple of emails that of course never get any response at all

so then the martin's son enrolls at purdue & i told several confidants including my monster partner hoop dreams that this was dangerous times

to be honest with you, cal's administration never thought martin was gonna leave, they never bothered to speak with prospects like joe pasternak & dennis gates until it was too late (you don't get to know job candidates during the interview process, you talk to them months & sometimes even years in advance, professionals plan for all contingencies, "amateurs" just hope for the best)

coach wyking is gonna get the job done, he's assembled a remarkable staff with tim, theo & chris...recruiting is already ramping up for cal's started at the bottom class (2018)
socaltownie
Shocky1;842833117 said:

you got some talent, so cal

the martin departure started when his oldest son (3.67 gpa) was wait listed for cal, in speaking with roberta it was very clear that keeping the family together in berkeley was a priority

i told this to mike williams at last year's basketball banquet & he didn't seem too concerned...i followed up with a couple of emails that of course never get any response at all

so then the martin's son enrolls at purdue & i told several confidants including my monster partner hoop dreams that this was dangerous times

to be honest with you, cal's administration never thought martin was gonna leave, they never bothered to speak with prospects like joe pasternak & dennis gates until it was too late (you don't get to know job candidates during the interview process, you talk to them months & sometimes even years in advance, professionals plan for all contingencies, "amateurs" just hope for the best)

coach wyking is gonna get the job done, he's assembled a remarkable staff with tim, theo & chris...recruiting is already ramping up for cal's started at the bottom class (2018)

Here is the thing. I would have had a COW if Marin's kid had gotten in with a special waiver.

Cause, in terms of Net bottom line PROFIT, faculty that are bringing in NSF/grant money (and thus paying the 60% overhead "vig" to the university) are making MUCH more Net for the University than Martin. They don't get SQUAT in terms of advantages in the admissions process for their kids. Nor should they. But if you want to see torches come out and the long knives be stuck get a waiver for a coaches' kid.

Now I get for Martin that is probably new water. But it is the right thing at a Public university.

PS. Completely agree about the uncommunicative dolt. You have to work the final 4, coaches conventions, conference media day RELENTLESSLY and always need a short list of 3-4 revenue coaches on speed dial. You can take 3 weeks and butcher a search for the Golf Coach (BTW - we have a great one) cause in the end it just isn't that critical to the revenue of the department. You HAVE to hit a 2 iron FLUSH on the approach at Torrey South 12 into a stiff breeze everytime you do a search for a candidate in one of the 2 revenue sports.
6956bear
socaltownie;842833123 said:

Here is the thing. I would have had a COW if Marin's kid had gotten in with a special waiver.

Cause, in terms of Net bottom line PROFIT, faculty that are bringing in NSF/grant money (and thus paying the 60% overhead "vig" to the university) are making MUCH more Net for the University than Martin. They don't get SQUAT in terms of advantages in the admissions process for their kids. Nor should they. But if you want to see torches come out and the long knives be stuck get a waiver for a coaches' kid.

Now I get for Martin that is probably new water. But it is the right thing at a Public university.

PS. Completely agree about the uncommunicative dolt. You have to work the final 4, coaches conventions, conference media day RELENTLESSLY and always need a short list of 3-4 revenue coaches on speed dial. You can take 3 weeks and butcher a search for the Golf Coach (BTW - we have a great one) cause in the end it just isn't that critical to the revenue of the department. You HAVE to hit a 2 iron FLUSH on the approach at Torrey South 12 into a stiff breeze everytime you do a search for a candidate in one of the 2 revenue sports.

I wonder what Kyle Campanelli's and Quin Tedford's grades looked like. I know they were technically "walk ons" but really I bet they were given some special treatment in admissions. Campanelli was not a P-12 level player but was a better player than Quin Tedford. Maybe I am wrong. I get your point and it is well taken, but these sort of things happen lots of places including other public Universities. Not disagreeing with you just wondering aloud.
UrsaMajor
Don't know about QT or KC, but I do know of kids of 8 figure donors who got no special consideration and didn't get in. Cal is pretty strict about that sort of thing.

If Shocky is correct about the MEB (and I assume he is, since that's one thing he's involved in), then MW should be fired the day before yesterday.
Bobodeluxe
Yep, Cal is not Stanford. Did those coaches abuse the preferred walk on category? If they did, no wonder there is so much dislike for IA on campus.
HoopDreams
So a 3.7 GPA under represented minority can't get into cal on their own merits?
If that's the case, the problem is something else entirely
socaltownie
HoopDreams;842833259 said:

Remember Prop 215. Aint such a thing as a minority in cal admissions. Being the son of a multi-millionaire probably isn't helping on the hardship part of the essay. It is why SCT Jr. is probably much more likely to get into MIT, Cal Tech or Furd than Cal. Just is what it is.
HoopDreams
No I didn't know about prop 215, but I can guess what it is

socaltownie;842833265 said:

Remember Prop 215. Aint such a thing as a minority in cal admissions. Being the son of a multi-millionaire probably isn't helping on the hardship part of the essay. It is why SCT Jr. is probably much more likely to get into MIT, Cal Tech or Furd than Cal. Just is what it is.
socaltownie
HoopDreams;842833267 said:

No I didn't know about prop 215, but I can guess what it is

Ward Connely initiative. Barred using race as a preferential category for all state (and local) decisions. So it is an excluded factor in cal admissions. HUGE amount of effort thus has gone into work arounds so that the campus has some diversity.
OldBlue1999
UrsaMajor;842833251 said:

I do know of kids of 8 figure donors who got no special consideration and didn't get in.

Holy sh!t, that's shockingly stupid even for Cal. And they wonder why they have problems fundraising. At some point there are values and then there are guidelines. It's really not too difficult to figure out that to get what you need you're gonna have to at least be reasonable. If faculty really has a problem with this kind of thing then they're incredibly short-sighted and not nearly as smart as they think they are. I mean, do they want full endowments or not? Pay for play makes the world go 'round. Get over it.
socaltownie
OldBlue1999;842833283 said:

Holy sh!t, that's shockingly stupid even for Cal. And they wonder why they have problems fundraising. At some point there are values and then there are guidelines. It's really not too difficult to figure out that to get what you need you're gonna have to at least be reasonable. If faculty really has a problem with this kind of thing then they're incredibly short-sighted and not nearly as smart as they think they are. I mean, do they want full endowments or not? Pay for play makes the world go 'round. Get over it.

<sigh>. People REALLY should understand the laws of the state before opining on what is stupid. Cal would be doing illegal acts if it did that. And if it somehow got the law changed it is FAR more likely that the kids of union leaders would be forced upon the university rater than donors as that is the straw that stirs the current ruling cabal in Sacramento.
mikecohen

That's how Jared Kushner got into Harvard. It will be interesting to see what effect that will or will not have on the world.
socaliganbear

How is this something you didn't already know? If UC had legacy admissions our entire funding model would probably be different.
OldBlue1999
socaltownie;842833295 said:

<sigh>. People REALLY should understand the laws of the state before opining on what is stupid. Cal would be doing illegal acts if it did that. And if it somehow got the law changed it is FAR more likely that the kids of union leaders would be forced upon the university rater than donors as that is the straw that stirs the current ruling cabal in Sacramento.

What's the cite?
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842833259 said:

my lasting impression of joshua martin was meeting him at madison square garden (i sat on the floor, that's the shockster roaming the floor at the game's end like a clapping machine) along with his moms roberta & the rest of the family...he was reading a book during warmups oblivious to the epic match up with syracuse, we conversed at length re: his book & i was struck by soft spoken demeanor, his lack of interest in college basketball & his intellectual appetite with a thirst for knowledge

[video=youtube;_wDVF0Hlfj4][/video]

nobu central park#

joshua martin would've been a tremendous addition to the cal student body
socaltownie
OldBlue1999;842833319 said:

What's the cite?

Lets start with that the admission records can be AUDITED under state law. I can't even imagine what would happen if they uncovered legacy admits

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/03/29/state-audit-university-of-california-lowered-admission-standards-for-out-of-state-students/
socaltownie
and here is some more infomration
http://admissions.berkeley.edu/selectsstudents
OldBlue1999
Thanks, but I was hoping to read the statute(s) and more importantly the cases that make this illegal and shape the restrictions.
Shocky1
congrats to cal grads vanessa (haas biz school) & richard midgley (nba scout for the atlanta hawks) on the kinda early birth of their 2nd child damien miguel, that's not a very british empire sounding name but i dunno i guess that what happens when a guy from burgess hill marries a latina curvy brunette yoga female

yeah damien miguel is gonna be a handful, he's all grown up...lou & theo are gonna be unpaid babysitters that's for sure

cal's starting point guard (class of 2037)#
bearchamp
someone is surprised that an eight figure donor's child didn't get admitted???? Like eight figures is a big donation.
First Page Last Page
Page 135 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.