cal's monster class deux

1,376,472 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
rkt88edmo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearchamp;842833389 said:

someone is surprised that an eight figure donor's child didn't get admitted???? Like eight figures is a big donation.

Yes, that seems nonsensical if they are anywhere near the standards.

If UC doesn't use legacy as a category, why is it on the application (or at least it was mid-90s)
socaltownie
rkt88edmo;842833408 said:

Yes, that seems nonsensical if they are anywhere near the standards.

If UC doesn't use legacy as a category, why is it on the application (or at least it was mid-90s)

Not any more. The applications are actually evaluated blindly so unless you put it in your essay/personal statement it can't/won't be considered.
bearchamp
What is nonsensical is to think that one can buy one's child into Cal.
Sebastabear
Here is the issue. The State of California can't have it both ways. It can't both reduce funding for Cal from 90% to 10% over a few decades [U]and[/U] at the same time tie Cal's hands on doing what it can to raise money. No one is suggesting the the grossly unqualified applicants be given a slot at Cal. But if someone is on the margin this is a factor that should be considered. Every private school gives some form of preference to alumni families that can (and do) provide the school with significant donations. Every single one. If the State wants Cal, as a "public" school to be completely blind in admissions and to only admit the most qualified that's great (although, I would note there is a fair amount of subjectivity in all admissions decisions). There should be schools like that if we are truly a meritocracy. But then the State (and the taxpayers) have to pay up. They aren't.
socaltownie
Sebastabear;842833432 said:

Here is the issue. The State of California can't have it both ways. It can't both reduce funding for Cal from 90% to 10% over a few decades [U]and[/U] at the same time tie Cal's hands on doing what it can to raise money. No one is suggesting the the grossly unqualified applicants be given a slot at Cal. But if someone is on the margin this is a factor that should be considered. Every private school gives some form of preference to alumni families that can (and do) provide the school with significant donations. Every single one. If the State wants Cal, as a "public" school to be completely blind in admissions and to only admit the most qualified that's great (although, I would note there is a fair amount of subjectivity in all admissions decisions). There should be schools like that if we are truly a meritocracy. But then the State (and the taxpayers) have to pay up. They aren't.

This is the big "meta" debate right now. With state support being what it is should UC essentially "privatize" (the closest model is University of Michigan), throwing off the restrictions imposed by Sacramento even if it means no general fund funding. You summarize well some of the fault lines.

But another one is internal to the system. In such a world UCB, UCLA, and like UCSD thrive. But Merced, Riverside, Irvine, UCSC and possibly Davis and UCSB do not. Indeed, they struggle to maintain their status as research universities. Thus the serious quandry for which there is NO good answer (and which the Regents, as political appointees, have seen it in their interest not to resolve because of the threat to the system).

For example, as others have pointed out Cal with autonomy could solve a number of these problems relatively quickly. But the regents, knowing that and what it might mean for the system as a whole, do not provide said autonomy. Thus a big fat mess.
UrsaMajor
Back when Birgeneau was Chancellor, he went to the Regents with just such a proposal--that Cal and UCLA be considered "first among equals" and be allowed to charge a different tuition, and function more autonomously from the rest of the system. The reaction was so hostile that he was nearly fired and the campus punished by OP and the Regents. For a variety of reasons, the Regents want to brag about Cal and UCLA, but don't want either to favor them or to be seen as favoring them (for one thing, Cal's "radical" reputation doesn't play well elsewhere in the state, and as SCT points out Regents are political appointees. Even more hard to believe, currently a minority of the Regents are graduates of a UC; thus, they don't necessarily have allegiance to the university that alums might be expected to.
socaltownie
UrsaMajor;842833448 said:

Back when Birgeneau was Chancellor, he went to the Regents with just such a proposal--that Cal and UCLA be considered "first among equals" and be allowed to charge a different tuition, and function more autonomously from the rest of the system. The reaction was so hostile that he was nearly fired and the campus punished by OP and the Regents. For a variety of reasons, the Regents want to brag about Cal and UCLA, but don't want either to favor them or to be seen as favoring them (for one thing, Cal's "radical" reputation doesn't play well elsewhere in the state, and as SCT points out Regents are political appointees. Even more hard to believe, currently a minority of the Regents are graduates of a UC; thus, they don't necessarily have allegiance to the university that alums might be expected to.

I don't think it is (anymore) Berkeley's radicalism. Look at the delegation to Sacramento from LA - they might be MORE radical in cases than random people pulled off telegraph.

I think it is because Birgeneau's proposal threatens the 1960 schools. Riverside would fear getting starved. Ditto Irvine and UCSB. Possibly Davis. Definitely Merced. It is really a lot more regionally fueled conflict, IMHO, than a left-right split. One of the difficult puzzles for a UCB chancellor has is figuring out how to square off that circle (and probably noting that trying to support 10+ research campuses, even for a state California's size, is difficult at best and probably not that smart. Do you REALLY need 10 phD granting humanity departments? Probably not. But good luck with trying to push THAT through university politics.
Sebastabear
bearchamp;842833389 said:

someone is surprised that an eight figure donor's child didn't get admitted???? Like eight figures is a big donation.

Uh, yeah. Are you thinking of the right number of digits here? Or maybe you are being sarcastic and I'm missing it (although judging by your other post I'm thinking no).

For what it's worth, do you know how many donations Cal has received that are more than eight figures? In its entire history? The answer is one. From the Hewlett Foundation in 2007. You know how many gifts Cal has received that are between $50m and $99m? (which is also eight figures, by the way). The answer is also exactly one (Simons Foundation - 2012). So we have two private gifts of more than $50m... ever. An eight figure donor anywhere (but particularly at Cal) is a very, very big donor.
UrsaMajor
BP's gift was $500 million, although they wound up taking some back. I can't remember:how large was K-S Lee's gift?
Sebastabear
UrsaMajor;842833546 said:

BP's gift was $500 million, although they wound up taking some back. I can't remember:how large was K-S Lee's gift?

This is what I'm looking at. Just published last month. Possible they are excluding corporate research grants and just looking at foundations and individuals? In any event, only shows one 9 figure donation for us ever.

http://www.chronicle.com/article/Major-Private-Gifts-to-Higher/128264
socaliganbear
UrsaMajor;842833546 said:

45m?
Shocky1
onetime cal silent commit (to his uncle travis decuire back in the day) & true student athlete 4 star 3.8 gpa jaylen nowell reaffirmed his commitment to hometown washington over cal & arizona (romar's new deal)
Shocky1
jordan bell is the latest dropout joining dillon brooks & tyler dorsey with the we gonna get minted in the nba or be ****** in life roulette game, academics were never part of the plan

Shocky1;842831380 said:

tyler dorsey (and his dad) of the oregon basketball organization will sign with an agent & declare for the 2017 nba draft, earning a degree is never part of the plan in eugene

multiple nba sources have told me he will have trouble ("unskilled passer with streaky shooting skills at best") making any nba roster which will leave him looking for employment at the medford truck stop as a nite shift supervisor until he eventually marries a lot lizard & dies a slow painful death from contagious stds

heart of darkness (the secret sharer)#
Shocky1

what up, chase?

there's a lot of mutts in berkeley, hope you enjoy your official visit to the beautifully diverse san francisco bay area

love train#

Shocky1;842825573 said:

justice, glad to see you've updated your twitter today with a "go bears" & self description as a "cal commit '21"

yeah us mutts of mixed descent gotta stick together

cal's go all the way up class (2017)#:wave:wave:wave

Shocky1;842804761 said:

justice is a mutt, his dad is black & his moms is samoan...the fact that berkeley along with the san francisco bay area is one of the most diverse places on planet earth is kinda important to fellow mutts ivan rabb, derek king, kameron rooks, nick hamilton, stephen domingo, brandon chauca, koko kurdoghlian, brenden glapion, jason kidd, lou richie & myself

justice, check out the link below with quotes from phoenix suns head coach earl watson (he's black & latino) re: his view that all the trump racism is uniting people & that the next president of the united states of america could be a female of a "mixed race and it's going to be intresting to see who that person is"

us mutts tend to be the least racist people on planet earth, yeah i got my eyes on the next potus in 2020, she's gonna be a curvy brunette yoga female with a flat stomach...and that's a good thing, someone who could unite the citizens of america, right justice?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2016/11/12/suns-earl-watson-sees-new-us-unity-after-election/93742980/

real talk (what an incredible opportunity for tomorrow):bravo:bravo:bravo#
HoopDreams
[video=youtube;QzuvBn88Rss][/video]

[SIZE=2]assist from BearBackerinLA [/SIZE]

Shocky1
[video=youtube;UdGzlIEQHw0][/video]

shape of you (curvy brunette yoga female with a flat stomach)#:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo
mikecohen
Shocky1;842833729 said:

[video=youtube;UdGzlIEQHw0][/video]

shape of you (curvy brunette yoga female with a flat stomach)#:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo

Flat out Gorgeous. Question: Do hard rappers like it?
HoopDreams
yeah, me too.

Shocky1
mikecohen;842833730 said:

Flat out Gorgeous. Question: Do hard rappers like it?

no
Shocky1
80Bear;842833742 said:

I completed the survey. I thought they cared....

surveys, clothes, golf carts & sleeping are for losers

sounds like i may get my wish of a new seat neighbors instead of the spiekers

north shore hammock (wonder why)#
socaliganbear
Would be a bad look for Mike if they ditch their seats.
DrDanger
socaliganbear;842834033 said:

Would be a bad look for Mike if they ditch their seats.

Court side seats are way overrated.
socaliganbear
DrDanger;842834035 said:

Amazing bathroom access.
Shocky1
DrDanger;842834035 said:

who's your uber driver in salt lake city, pal?

doctors got funny cal stories#
mikecohen
Shocky1;842834004 said:

no

Trop de mal
Shocky1
2018 top 40 blue chipper shareef o'neal with the commitment to the donut boy of tucson

ira lee already recruited over (that was fast)#
dfresh
Shocky1;842834069 said:

2018 top 40 blue chipper shareef o'neal with the commitment to the donut boy of tucson

ira lee already recruited over (that was fast)#

Actually, it was Ira Lee who was instrumental in recruiting Shareef. They are very close.
Billy Bob
dfresh;842834101 said:

Actually, it was Ira Lee who was instrumental in recruiting Shareef. They are very close.

shocky will be the first one to left you know that he knows that. He has all the inside #sources#. #doughnutboy### Arizona## is an illegitimate institution## #cal is hindered by #academic requirements

LOL
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Congrats to Courtney for signing on with the Washington Mystics![/SIZE]

HoopDreams
Shocky1
Billy Bob;842834106 said:

shocky will be the first one to left you know that he knows that. He has all the inside #sources#. #doughnutboy### Arizona## is an illegitimate institution## #cal is hindered by #academic requirements

LOL

agreed billy bob & dfresh, i told you the exclusive wildcats breaking news re: elliott pitts raping his teammate's sister & allonzo trier's peds back in the day, you both argued with me then, do you guys ever do the hang at the rock with arizona's largest donor?

bear down (with academic integrity)#
Shocky1
cal's monster exclusive (yet again) announcement: with the dedicated practice facility lead donor (along with several other killer whales) done with giving even one more dollar to cal due to his alienated relationship with mike williams as a result of our athletic director's dysfunctional communication skills (not returning texts, letters & phone calls...he only reaches out when he wants something & that **** just doesn't work in the real world), the current plan is to negotiate with the recreational sports facility for the 24/7/365 contractual usage of the gold gym

the rsf is a separate entity, it is not part of the cal athletic department...the rsf this past year has benefited from the athletic department allowing them to utilize rent free haas pavilion & memorial stadium, discussions are currently underway to assign the gold gym exclusively to the cal basketball program in exchange for continued usage of haas/memorial...that's a win/win for both parties & is a temporary solution to the necessity of a dedicated practice facility on campus

Shocky1;842821137 said:

calenvirolaw, if you are an environmental lawyer your definitely not a dumb azz, so no worries

some donors including myself paid to brand & refurbish the gold gym in the rsf at the request of coach montgomery back in the day...but a worthless & thankfully now retired bureaucrat mike weinberger make it very challenging to schedule for the basketball team...the availability now is still limited which is why the final straw for coach martin was the bears practicing 3 times this season at a local high school gym, no head coach that is trying to win championships is gonna ever put up with that ****

the projected costs for the necessary dedicated basketball practice facility which is critical in the recruitment of 4 & 5 star elite athletes is $27 million with also the stipulation that the money is totally collected up front before construction can commence...we have a very generous lead donor of the facility but cal administration has been dragging their feet for several years & coach martin got tired of waiting

so what needs to happen now?...mike williams, ashwin puri & jeremy wang need to move forward with a smaller less expensive facility & then quickly fundraise the dollars to augment the lead donor...we are past the point of ******* talking about it any more of just walking around at cal sporting events without action on this project...i like all of these guys but they need to turn words into shovels breaking ground

UCBerkGrad
Shocky1;842834113 said:

cal's monster exclusive (yet again) announcement: with the dedicated practice facility lead donor (along with several other killer whales) done with giving even one more dollar to cal due to his alienated relationship with mike williams as a result of our athletic director's dysfunctional communication skills (not returning texts, letters & phone calls...he only reaches out when he wants something & that **** just doesn't work in the real world), the current plan is to negotiate with the recreational sports facility for the 24/7/365 contractual usage of the gold gym

the rsf is a separate entity, it is not part of the cal athletic department...the rsf this past year has benefited from the athletic department allowing them to utilize rent free haas pavilion & memorial stadium, discussions are currently underway to assign the gold gym exclusively to the cal basketball program in exchange for continued usage of haas/memorial...that's a win/win for both parties & is a temporary solution to the necessity of a dedicated practice facility on campus

Who is paying for the dedicated yoga studio for Cal's curvy brunettes?
UrsaMajor
Is that for both basketball teams? (If not, I assume there's a Title IX issue).

I'll ask again, Shocky, why aren't you making a lead gift (you're always bragging about how successful you are)?
petalumabear
UrsaMajor;842834168 said:

Is that for both basketball teams? (If not, I assume there's a Title IX issue).

I'll ask again, Shocky, why aren't you making a lead gift (you're always bragging about how successful you are)?

Oh hell yes... Waiting patiently for the sound of crickets.
First Page Last Page
Page 136 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.