cal's monster class deux

1,375,983 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
Cal Geek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UrsaMajor;842834168 said:

Is that for both basketball teams? (If not, I assume there's a Title IX issue).

I'll ask again, Shocky, why aren't you making a lead gift (you're always bragging about how successful you are)?

I was hoping that Shocky would comment on the Sports and University Mission thread here.
Jeff82
This seems like a reasonable solution to the problem. One downside is that eliminating the rental of IAD facilities to recreational sports eliminates a revenue stream that could help pay for the stadium bonds. However, since I ultimately think the general campus may have to help pay for them, because IAD won't be able to, I don't see that as a problem. Essentially, it appears to me that IAD will have to accept democratization of some of its facilities for use by the general student body and faculty, in return for exclusive use of some others. The two revenue sports will have to pick and choose their spots. For example, giving basketball players 24-7 use of the gold gym may mean football players won't be able to use the weight rooms in the SAHPC whenever they want, because some hours for general use will have to be provided. My guess is the bulk of inconvenice will fall on non-revenue sport athletes, which is probably as it should be, given their non-revenue status.

More broadly, I would say that the one area where Cal is not going to be able to follow other Power 5 schools is to separate revenue sport athletes into their own world, with separate luxurious housing, separate eating facilities, etc. They have to be seen as part of the student body, in order to have support of the student body. As with the gym, exclusive use can be sought where it can be argued that it's important for performance. Separate housing doesn't qualify, IMHO.
Shocky1
UrsaMajor;842834168 said:

Is that for both basketball teams? (If not, I assume there's a Title IX issue).

I'll ask again, Shocky, why aren't you making a lead gift (you're always bragging about how successful you are)?

ursa, the monster is my facebook of a lot (but not all) of my activities, if you think playing all the world's top 100 golf courses, watching every second of cal basketball live in person last season, recognized as the alpha leader of my rescue dog/cat pack or doing a headstand makes me successful, that's your deal

if you had a yoga/meditation practice you would know that the concept of "succes" is a different thing for everyone, we are all unique snowflakes (even them dumb azzs like lee)

yeah the gold gym dedicated facility concept would be for both basketball teams

a day in the life of a fool#:rant
Shocky1
UCBerkGrad;842834122 said:

Who is paying for the dedicated yoga studio for Cal's curvy brunettes?

ucbg, the best place for yoga (and sex & practicing bunker shots) is the beach

and it don't cost nothing, it's for free

connectivity with nature (clothes are for losers)#
socaltownie
Shocky1;842834398 said:

ucbg, the best place for yoga (and sex & practicing bunker shots) is the beach

and it don't cost nothing, it's for free

connectivity with nature (clothes are for losers)#

LOL. Says the man stuck in Scotsdale ;-) Why in the wordl have you not sold the business, move to Rancho and live the life so many of you Zonies aspire to. Trust me, us San Diegans LOVE to watch you bid up real estate values. Come on down, the water WAS warm today at Torrey (though really not good form - sorta some wind chop and the tides were not right at sunset...though I DID have my long board ;-)
Shocky1
Cal Geek;842834356 said:

It will be interesting to see if you get an answer.

I wrote two emails to Mike Williams, specific to concerns I had about Football. Neither was answered at all. It appears that the current AD just feels he can ignore emails. Not sure why.

But I ended up cancelling my ESP football seats. And as a result, my Men's basketball chairback seats.

mike williams dysfunctional communication skills make him a liability for the cal athletic department

running the place into the ground#
Shocky1
so cal, san diego county is the home of vapid (overly manufactured, non minimalist like avaira) unenlightened usually cartball golf architecture, the only (yeah torrey pines is redundant in its challenge) course that's special is barona creek with its rugged natural looking bunkering & generous width (playing corridors) which stimulates strategic shotmaking decisions along with its tight walkable routing

go home zones#
Shocky1
update: chase jeter is currently on his official visit to berkeley & reading the cal's monster class:woohoo

_______________________________________________________________________________________

cal's monster class exclusive (yet another) announcement:

chase jeter is gonna officially visit berkeley in the next week after theo & chris are both on campus, the staff is targeting a potential 2018 devastating front line of chase & jordan brown

cal is the only academically elite school among jeter's finalists (moms kim is a school teacher, she not raising any dumb azzs) that can also guarantee 35+ mpg & a feature role in 2018 after marcus lee graduates with a degree & a potential 1st round selection in the 2018 NBA draft

this **** is getting live:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree

chase jeter's 8 finalists: cal, usc, ucla, utah, sdsu, oregon, arizona & gonzaga

Shocky1;842826654 said:

coach wyking is actively recruiting duke transfer 6'10" 230 lbs chase jeter, he got a 7'1.5 wingspan & a 9'1.25 standing reach

jeter is from bishop gorman high school & played for the las vegas prospects, he is a former top 10 player in the 2015 class (along with ivan rabb & jaylen brown) & a former mcdonalds all american...he sat out part of this season after surgery to fix a herniated disc in his back, jeter would rehab next season & be a 35+ minute starter at the 4 replacing marcus lee in 2018

chase is not a dumb azz, he got a 3.86 gpa in high school with an interest in political science...berkeley would make sense from a playing time perspective as marcus, sam & the king will all be seniors as jeter sits out next season & then he would be an impact starter for the bears in 2018 playing 35+ mpg

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including las vegas)
socaltownie
Shocky1;842834405 said:

so cal, san diego county is the home of vapid (overly manufactured, non minimalist like avaira) unenlightened usually cartball golf architecture, the only (yeah torrey pines is redundant in its challenge) course that's special is barona creek with its rugged natural looking bunkering & generous width (playing corridors) which stimulates strategic shotmaking decisions along with its tight walkable routing

go home zones#

I like Barona. I wouldn't call it a "tight routing"

But honestly you are missing a ton

San Diego Country Club
Puama Valley
The Farms (though I really wish they had 10 more acres because it is awful tight fit) - Phil's home course
Santa Luz (my home course when not playing Torrey)
and my favorite for the old school charm
Rancho Santa Fe

Honestly confused how you could think PHOENIX golf is better than San Diego
#getoutofthesun

PS. If you like Barona you really need to get up to Cross Creek near Temecula. Hidden away but reminds be a lot of Barona and I think requires even more thinking and shot making.

PPS. Yeah - now that I think about it I would call Aviara the exception not the rule. We don't have a good example of the new minimalist style (Crosby and Bridges come close and it isn't THAT close) but I think that is in part a function of no one really figuring out a good way to do it given land prices in San Diego and the market probably being overbuilt so that you can't make it work as a high end daily fee. Interesting question though....will ask so of the guys that run JC resort next time I tee it up with them.
parentswerebears
Chase would be so awesome in blue and gold!
Shocky1

what up, chase?

your moms kim is a highly respected school teacher & you got a 3.86 gpa at bishop gorman which resulted in your admissions acceptance to duke, you are definitely not a dumb azz

let me break it down for you, ok?...utah, oregon, arizona & gonzaga are academically mediocre schools for dumb azzs that don't wanna read books & **** like that, them guys are gonna be ****** when their basketball days are over & they gotta try to compete in a fiercely competitive global economy that favors the well educated, got it?ork::nono:

35+ mpg per game (guaranteed)#:bravo

Shocky1;842616928 said:

us news is ranking cal #3 in their 2015 collegiate world rankings

a cal degree is like a winning lottery ticket, it will open an unlimited number of doors in the future in your quest to achieve your dreams & goals in life...today's highly competitive global marketplace favors those that are well educated, that's just the way it is...if you go to an academically mediocre school & get injured you are ******, that's why you got to be mentally limitless

but you gotta have academic ambition to graduate from cal, are you willing to do the work?

yeah, ambition is priceless, it's something in your veins

50 year decision#
Shocky1
chase, don't be a dumb azz like lee, there are consequences for being a dumb azz in life
bearchamp
Something Shocky and I agree on: Aviara is awful.
UrsaMajor
I don't know, Shocky, but I'm reminded of the late Charlie O. Finley's famous description: "all hat and no cattle."
Shocky1
bearchamp;842834486 said:

Something Shocky and I agree on: Aviara is awful.

bearchamp, there's some weird **** including the poorly designed unwalkable routing & visible power line views going on at aviara

golf carts are for losers#
Shocky1
yeah the latina curvy brunette yoga female beer cart girl on the right is way better looking than the dude on the left
Shocky1
UrsaMajor;842834488 said:

I don't know, Shocky, but I'm reminded of the late Charlie O. Finley's famous description: "all hat and no cattle."

i dunno ursa but but you kinda remind me i gotta get my driver regripped, yeah i was a caddie at san francisco golf club during my cal days

swang#
socaltownie
Shocky1;842834502 said:

bearchamp, there's some weird **** including the poorly designed unwalkable routing & visible power line views going on at aviara

golf carts are for losers#

Yup. really dumb (and highly overpriced course). But again, lots of good ones.
Shocky1
socaltownie;842834548 said:

Yup. really dumb (and highly overpriced course). But again, lots of good ones.

wouldn't know that avaira is overpriced and that doesn't factor at all into any of my course evaluations, i get comped on every golf course in the world as arguably the most recognized (along with my buddy bob mccoy who played the world top 100 courses in 100 days, he's a pine valley member) golf course architecture rater/panelist

if you build it, shocky will come#
Shocky1
4th gen, love you man, but there's not another donor who thinks mike williams/jeremy wang (the vast majority of donors have never had a meaningful conversation of substance with him) will be able to raise the funds for a dedicated practice facility

they've alienated the $10 million dollar lead donor & the rfq for the facility has been withdrawn/cancelled
SFCityBear
Shocky1;842834542 said:

i dunno ursa but but you kinda remind me i gotta get my driver regripped, yeah i was a caddie at san francisco golf club during my cal days

swang#

San Francisco Golf Club. No kidding. That was the most elite club around, with very few members. Probably still is. Sandy Tatum (known as God, to local golfers) was a member. When I was at Cal, I used to sneak on the course a couple hours before sundown. I used to park down by the lake and walk up through the woods to the second tee. I very seldom saw another player, so I stood out like a sore thumb. The gardener tried to kick me off, but I told him I was playing with Dennis Clark, who was a member, but he had to leave early, and told me I could keep on playing. That worked one time, but the next time I was thrown out. One time, I played a few holes and suddenly, about 20 cops with guns drawn came running out of the bushes down the fairway, looked around, and ran back into the bushes. At first I figured they were coming for me, but later found out they were chasing a burglar, who had hit one of the homes bordering the course. I went near the clubhouse only once, to complete a good round. I played up 18 at dusk, and played #1 in the moonlight back to my car. Years later, when I began playing with the best players in the area, they taught me I shouldn't be sneaking on to golf courses, and I should always pay a green fee.

Getting comped like you do would have been beyond my wildest dreams. Now I see where a Cal education can even help you in golf, so congratulations. I wish I had more faith in my Cal education back then. It is hard to tell kids anything. They think they know everything. My Cal education did open plenty of doors for me, and it still does today.
SFCityBear
Shocky1;842834552 said:

wouldn't know that avaira is overpriced and that doesn't factor at all into any of my course evaluations, i get comped on every golf course in the world as arguably the most recognized (along with my buddy bob mccoy who played the world top 100 courses in 100 days, he's a pine valley member) golf course architecture rater/panelist

Photo reminds me of Baja Mar, a course located between Rosarito Beach where I once lived, and Ensenada in Mexico. It used to be a top 100 course, or so I was told. Did you ever play it? I played it once and shot par. The only course I ever played in Mexico, so I tell everyone I am even par for the country of Mexico. In the US, I was so far over par for the country, I'd need a super computer to add up all the strokes.
LOUMFSG2
Shocky1;842834552 said:

Man, if I had to play there, I would just walk over to the edge of the tee box, turn my bag over, and dump all my golf balls over the side. Save myself a lot of time . . .
Shocky1
i caddied a couple of times back in the day for sandy tatum, he is one of my few idols in life...a stanford ncca golf champ who later became the president of the usga & the catalyst for the us open being played on public courses like bethpage, torrey pines, chambers bay, etc., he also tirelessly championed the terrific (and much needed renovation of harding park)...he literally paused for more than a second at the top of his backswing, it impressed me how he would gather collect himself before starting his graceful forward swing thru the ball with deadly center of the club contact

so I used to think it would've been fun to have a dad who belonged to sfgc & cypress point like mr tatum & that he would coach me up on my game...so i'm at san francisco golf club a couple of years ago early in the morning as the 1st guy out as a single out putting out on the par 5 18th green when i see a guy hopelessly hitting ground balls down the 9th fairway...i ask my caddie angelo who's that, he shakes his head with a sly smile & tell me it's mr tatum's son

yeah there's beauty in the struggle

love yourz (love you dad)#
Jeff82
SFCityBear;842834564 said:

San Francisco Golf Club. No kidding. That was the most elite club around, with very few members. Probably still is. Sandy Tatum (known as God, to local golfers) was a member. When I was at Cal, I used to sneak on the course a couple hours before sundown. I used to park down by the lake and walk up through the woods to the second tee. I very seldom saw another player, so I stood out like a sore thumb. The gardener tried to kick me off, but I told him I was playing with Dennis Clark, who was a member, but he had to leave early, and told me I could keep on playing. That worked one time, but the next time I was thrown out. One time, I played a few holes and suddenly, about 20 cops with guns drawn came running out of the bushes down the fairway, looked around, and ran back into the bushes. At first I figured they were coming for me, but later found out they were chasing a burglar, who had hit one of the homes bordering the course. I went near the clubhouse only once, to complete a good round. I played up 18 at dusk, and played #1 in the moonlight back to my car. Years later, when I began playing with the best players in the area, they taught me I shouldn’t be sneaking on to golf courses, and I should always pay a green fee.

Getting comped like you do would have been beyond my wildest dreams. Now I see where a Cal education can even help you in golf, so congratulations. I wish I had more faith in my Cal education back then. It is hard to tell kids anything. They think they know everything. My Cal education did open plenty of doors for me, and it still does today.

Shame on you for using the Broderick-Terry duel historic site to sneak onto a golf course.
Shocky1
deer valley high school/cal state earthquake alum kendall smith was "never in the mix" with cal due to sub 3.0 gpas in high school & college with the commitment to oklahoma state, the harvard of the plains

fake recruits#
Shocky1
LOUMFSG2;842834569 said:

Man, if I had to play there, I would just walk over to the edge of the tee box, turn my bag over, and dump all my golf balls over the side. Save myself a lot of time . . .

yeah just make sure you don't put your bag too close to the edge

LVBear
Shocky

If you were to build a course with your favorite 18 holes, what would it look like?
Shocky1
LVBear;842834636 said:

Shocky

If you were to build a course with your favorite 18 holes, what would it look like?

lv, my dream course would be designed in colloboration with the greatest living architect in the world & my true architecture idol bill coore, it would be a tightly routed walkable routing with links conditioning (firm & fast, just the way i like it) & unraked bunkers with no homes kinda like the sublime shanqin bay on hainan island in china (see foto above of the downhill par 3 8th hole)...there would be no yardage markers & radar yardage guns would be outlawed, shorts would be encouraged particularly for them curvy brunette yoga females like cal's lucia gutierrez...twosomes would be the norm with an expected brisk walking pace of no more than 2 hours & 45 minutes per round & caddies would be encouraged to join their loops for lunches on the patio overlooking the ocean served up by a protege of nobu...no phones of any type would be allowed on the golf course, must be left in the locker room...the scorecard would be small & simple with no par or yardages listed for each hole just like my beloved friar's head

rescue dogs would be encouraged on the course at all times (who saved who?)#:bravo

cartballers like the donut boy of tuscon need not apply#
Shocky1
update: add juco kavall bigy-williams whose requested his release to transfer to criminal dana altman's long list of discarded non student athletes to make room for brandon mccoy, oregon got slightly less academic focus than the coos bay correctional institution or the drain leper colony

jordan bell is the latest dropout joining dillon brooks & tyler dorsey with the we gonna get minted in the nba or be ****** in life roulette game, academics were never part of the plan

Shocky1;842831380 said:

tyler dorsey (and his dad) of the oregon basketball organization will sign with an agent & declare for the 2017 nba draft, earning a degree is never part of the plan in eugene

multiple nba sources have told me he will have trouble ("unskilled passer with streaky shooting skills at best") making any nba roster which will leave him looking for employment at the medford truck stop as a nite shift supervisor until he eventually marries a lot lizard & dies a slow painful death from contagious stds

heart of darkness (the secret sharer)#
mikecohen
Shocky1;842834665 said:

update: add juco kavall bigy-williams whose requested his release to transfer to criminal dana altman's long list of discarded non student athletes to make room for brandon mccoy, oregon got slightly less academic focus than the coos bay correctional institution or the drain leper colony

jordan bell is the latest dropout joining dillon brooks & tyler dorsey with the we gonna get minted in the nba or be ****** in life roulette game, academics were never part of the plan

Shocky: We're officially the scrappy underdogs who care about everything, who don't ever give up, who keep on building for the benefit of all; and, in that connection, it's bad karma to spend an ounce of attention on denigrating anyone whom we oppose. It doesn't help us oppose them any better, or do anything else we want to do better. Rather, it's a cosmic drain to do it; and we'll be better off by dropping it. Calling your opponents evil just drags you down to a lower level. The point is to succeed by being the best us; to always give a good account of ourselves; and to keep going for the times in which G*d favors our efforts with an NC or a series of them. It's doable by us, not buying into the glitz. Even the glitziest 5-star factories, including those who cheat on all sorts of levels, don't succeed more than that; and we being us succeed at a lot of different levels along the way to getting to NC, & RB, & all the other bests of all kinds. MIKE
Shocky1
mike, that's not gonna happen

south bender
mikecohen;842834670 said:

Shocky: We're officially the scrappy underdogs who care about everything, who don't ever give up, who keep on building for the benefit of all; and, in that connection, it's bad karma to spend an ounce of attention on denigrating anyone whom we oppose. It doesn't help us oppose them any better, or do anything else we want to do better. Rather, it's a cosmic drain to do it; and we'll be better off by dropping it. Calling your opponents evil just drags you down to a lower level. The point is to succeed by being the best us; to always give a good account of ourselves; and to keep going for the times in which G*d favors our efforts with an NC or a series of them. It's doable by us, not buying into the glitz. Even the glitziest 5-star factories, including those who cheat on all sorts of levels, don't succeed more than that; and we being us succeed at a lot of different levels along the way to getting to NC, & RB, & all the other bests of all kinds. MIKE

Mike,

You dream to think you can penetrate Shocky's narcissistic, immature bubble.

He's like Trump. Only he knows how to push Cal basketball to the heights.
Shocky1
chase, good to hear you & your moms kim enjoyed your time in berkeley

yeah there's world class academics, a genuine coaching staff that cares about you & 35 minutes per game (guaranteed):tree:tree:tree

Shocky1;842833688 said:

what up, chase?

there's a lot of mutts in berkeley, hope you enjoy your official visit to the beautifully diverse san francisco bay area

love train#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Shout out to the Cal band playing at Cal Day!
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5][COLOR="#000080"][/COLOR][/SIZE]

First Page Last Page
Page 137 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.