cal's monster class deux

oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Better than Martin Smith?
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oskidunker;842836155 said:

Better than Martin Smith?


deschon can score at all 3 levels & scored 43 points against an elite so cal team this season

martin couldn't knock down an open 15 footer

no comparison (both great students in the classroom)#
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought smith made alot of threes at oregon and osu but maybe it was someone else
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
welcome deschon winston & jacob orender to the cal basketball family, their commitment to me (and to a lesser extent coach wyking & the staff) as the program's director of recruiting says a lot about their academic ambition (and getting minted in life)...this list is also updated (with elite distinguishing asterisks) for the graduations of jabari bird, sam singer, grant mullins, stephen domingo & roger route a bidias, kameron rooks...should also be mentioned that my boy brenden glapion (dinner at eureka with tay, glap & his fam last monday nite) has accepted his berkeley law school admissions offer...looking forward to a future update with young ivee & the birdman nba contract deals

alan crabbe-3.3 gpa@price ($75,000,000 4 year contract with the portland trail blazers)
justin cobbs-3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
jeff powers*-3.6 gpa@delasalle
ricky kreklow*-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
david kravish*-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
tyrone wallace*-3.5 gpa@bakersfield (nba development league with the utah jazz)
christian behrens*-3.5 gpa@tahoma
jabari bird*-3.0+gpa@salesian
jordan mathews*-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer*-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks*-3.5 gpa@mission hills
roger moute a bidias*-3.0+ gpa@notre dame
kingsley okoroh-3.0+ gpa@westwind prep/findlay prep
stephen domingo*-3.4 gpa@st ignatius
brandon chauca-3.85 gpa@shannon forest christian school
cole welle-4.37 gpa@aptos
nick hamilton-4.2 gpa@westchester
brenden glapion*-4.1 gpa@washington
dwight tarwater*-3.9 gpa@webb school
ivan rabb-3.15 gpa@bishop o'dowd
jaylen brown-2.9 gpa@wheeler ($21,404,269 4 year contract with the boston celtics)
nick kerr*-3.9 gpa@torrey pines
roman davis-3.5 gpa@winward
dontae coleman-3.3 gpa@lawson state
grant mullins*-3.31 gpa@columbia (ivy league)
charlie moore-3.06 gpa@morgan park
marcus lee-3.5 gpa@kentucky
juhwan harris dyson-3.0 gpa@heritage christian
derek king-3.7 gpa@foothill
koko kurdoghlian-3.6 gpa@la canada
trevin knell-4.0 gpa@woods cross
justice sueing jr-3.8 gpa@mater dei
grant anticevich-3.75 gpa@newington college
jacob orender-4.6 gpa@fletcher
deschon winston-3.9 gpa@birmingham

*will graduate/graduated from cal joining 2012 grads bak bak, brandon smith & robert thurman

cal fans can expect every player listed above to either leave cal with a degree and/or a nba contract, this **** is getting live

of the 300+ ncaa d1 bb teams, cal is among the most academically elite programs along with stanford and the ivy leagues most noteably harvard

the above is the MOST IMPORTANT stat sheet in cal basketball



this is the difference between basketball factories that use up & then discard their workers (leaving them unemployable on the streets) in today's highly competitive global economy and legitimate collegiate institutions of higher learning with an academic purpose...if you go to an academically mediocre school like oregon or arizona & get injured you are ******

academic ambition is a beautiful thing, it will open doors in business after basketball is done with you & help you meet the girl of your dreams (and you're not thinking about it now but it will also help you raise intellectually curious children someday)...don't be a dumb azz

curvy brunette yoga females with flat stomachs from academically mediocre schools wanna date & marry cal, stanford & ivy league grads when they enter the real world, that's just the way of the world




the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including yoga/meditationstudios):wave:wave:wave
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Shocky1;842836264 said:

alan crabbe-3.3 gpa@price ($75,000,000 4 year contract with the portland trail blazers)
justin cobbs-3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
jeff powers*-3.6 gpa@delasalle
ricky kreklow*-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
david kravish*-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
tyrone wallace*-3.5 gpa@bakersfield (nba development league with the utah jazz)
christian behrens*-3.5 gpa@tahoma
jabari bird*-3.0+gpa@salesian
jordan mathews*-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer*-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
roger moute a bidias*-3.0+ gpa@notre dame
kingsley okoroh-3.0+ gpa@westwind prep/findlay prep
stephen domingo*-3.4 gpa@st ignatius
brandon chauca-3.85 gpa@shannon forest christian school
cole welle-4.37 gpa@aptos
nick hamilton-4.2 gpa@westchester
brenden glapion*-4.1 gpa@washington
dwight tarwater*-3.9 gpa@webb school
ivan rabb-3.15 gpa@bishop o'dowd
jaylen brown-2.9 gpa@wheeler ($21,404,269 4 year contract with the boston celtics)
nick kerr*-3.9 gpa@torrey pines
roman davis-3.5 gpa@winward
dontae coleman-3.3 gpa@lawson state
grant mullins*-3.31 gpa@columbia (ivy league)
charlie moore-3.06 gpa@morgan park
marcus lee-3.5 gpa@kentucky
juhwan harris dyson-3.0 gpa@heritage christian
derek king-3.7 gpa@foothill
koko kurdoghlian-3.6 gpa@la canada
trevin knell-4.0 gpa@wood cross
justice sueing jr-3.8 gpa@mater dei
grant anticevich-3.75 gpa@newington college
jacob orender-4.6 gpa@fletcher
winston deschon-4.0 gpa@birmingham


Winston Deschon? The hoops version of Webb Davis?
mikecohen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842836264 said:

welcome deschon winston & jacob orender to the cal basketball family, their commitment to me (and to a lesser extent coach wyking & the staff) as the program's director of recruiting says a lot about their academic ambition (and getting minted in life)...this list is also updated (with elite distinguishing asterisks) for the graduations of jabari bird, sam singer, grant mullins, stephen domingo & roger route a bidias...should also be mentioned that my boy brenden glapion (dinner at eureka with tay, glap & his fam last monday nite) has accepted his berkeley law school admissions offer...looking forward to a future update with young ivee & the birdman nba contract deals

alan crabbe-3.3 gpa@price ($75,000,000 4 year contract with the portland trail blazers)
justin cobbs-3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
jeff powers*-3.6 gpa@delasalle
ricky kreklow*-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
david kravish*-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
tyrone wallace*-3.5 gpa@bakersfield (nba development league with the utah jazz)
christian behrens*-3.5 gpa@tahoma
jabari bird*-3.0+gpa@salesian
jordan mathews*-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer*-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
roger moute a bidias*-3.0+ gpa@notre dame
kingsley okoroh-3.0+ gpa@westwind prep/findlay prep
stephen domingo*-3.4 gpa@st ignatius
brandon chauca-3.85 gpa@shannon forest christian school
cole welle-4.37 gpa@aptos
nick hamilton-4.2 gpa@westchester
brenden glapion*-4.1 gpa@washington
dwight tarwater*-3.9 gpa@webb school
ivan rabb-3.15 gpa@bishop o'dowd
jaylen brown-2.9 gpa@wheeler ($21,404,269 4 year contract with the boston celtics)
nick kerr*-3.9 gpa@torrey pines
roman davis-3.5 gpa@winward
dontae coleman-3.3 gpa@lawson state
grant mullins*-3.31 gpa@columbia (ivy league)
charlie moore-3.06 gpa@morgan park
marcus lee-3.5 gpa@kentucky
juhwan harris dyson-3.0 gpa@heritage christian
derek king-3.7 gpa@foothill
koko kurdoghlian-3.6 gpa@la canada
trevin knell-4.0 gpa@wood cross
justice sueing jr-3.8 gpa@mater dei
grant anticevich-3.75 gpa@newington college
jacob orender-4.6 gpa@fletcher
winston deschon-4.0 gpa@birmingham

*will graduate/graduated from cal joining 2012 grads bak bak, brandon smith & robert thurman

cal fans can expect every player listed above to either leave cal with a degree and/or a nba contract, this **** is getting live

of the 300+ ncaa d1 bb teams, cal is among the most academically elite programs along with stanford and the ivy leagues most noteably harvard

the above is the MOST IMPORTANT stat sheet in cal basketball



this is the difference between basketball factories that use up & then discard their workers (leaving them unemployable on the streets) in today's highly competitive global economy and legitimate collegiate institutions of higher learning with an academic purpose...if you go to an academically mediocre school like oregon or arizona & get injured you are ******

academic ambition is a beautiful thing, it will open doors in business after basketball is done with you & help you meet the girl of your dreams (and you're not thinking about it now but it will also help you raise intellectually curious children someday)...don't be a dumb azz

curvy brunette yoga females with flat stomachs from academically mediocre schools wanna date & marry cal, stanford & ivy league grads when they enter the real world, that's just the way of the world




the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including yoga/meditationstudios):wave:wave:wave


Just gotta say: The girl in that picture begins to cross (or at least approach) the line into "Sim0ne" territory (from the Pacino picture of some years back).
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mikecohen;842836278 said:

Just gotta say: The girl in that picture begins to cross (or at least approach) the line into "Sim0ne" territory (from the Pacino picture of some years back).


That girl in the picture haunts the bar at the Peninsula Hotel and can be had for $800/hour.
mikecohen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NYCGOBEARS;842836283 said:

That girl in the picture haunts the bar at the Peninsula Hotel and can be had for $800/hour.


I would say "Priceless", if she is real.
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MoragaBear;842836277 said:

Winston Deschon? The hoops version of Webb Davis?


thx mb, edited with all due respect to cal's next 3 skill guard

Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
kam pretty much told me he was gonna graduate & move on before monday's practice:cry:

nothing but best wishes for a terrific young man who will always be a grad of the university of berkeley, will never forget our special night at madison square garden against hometown syracuse

yeah kam has earned the elite degree asterisk next to his name

make it anywhere#




Shocky1;842835192 said:

hoop, not optimistic re: kam returning this season...he's gonna sit down with his moms after the season & make a decision at that time "that's in his best interests"

rooks is a remarkable young man who has battled adversity, looked more mobile in practice



krusty crab with kristy#
mikecohen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842836309 said:

kam pretty much told me he was gonna graduate & move on before monday's practice:cry:

nothing but best wishes for a terrific young man who will always be a grad of the university of berkeley, will never forget our special night at madison square garden against hometown syracuse

yeah kam has earned the elite degree asterisk next to his name

make it anywhere#





Based on that photograph: Do you think San Diego State?
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mikecohen;842836323 said:

Based on that photograph: Do you think San Diego State?


kam told me he loves seattle which made me laugh but his sister khalya will on the huskies women's team this fall, moms susie told me at a practice before the season that it would've been nice from a logistical travel standpoint if cal's women team had recruited her daughter
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?



young ivee has signed with aaron goodwin of goodwin sports management, his other clients include jabari bird, leon powe, damian lillard, gary payton jr & sr, chris webber & shareef abdur rahim

diamonds are not forever (but they shine brite)#:bravo
TheSouseFamily
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842836342 said:




young ivee has signed with aaron goodwin of goodwin sports management, his other clients include jabari bird, leon powe, damian lillard, gary payton jr & sr, chris webber & shareef abdur rahim

diamonds are not forever (but they shine brite)#:bravo


J-Kidd too.
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheSouseFamily;842836347 said:

J-Kidd too.


who's that?

Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Remember Winston Kennedy? Or was it Kennedy Winston?
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"I got offered early by ASU but the academics are so much better at Cal," said Winston. "Academics were always on my mind and playing in California is important to me, too."

HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kam signed with Cal over Arizona

Mostly due to injuries, he had an up and down career at Cal, but no doubt, he helped us win

Gonna miss you dude. Good luck to you.



south bender
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A fine young man, whom we will miss, for who he is as a person, as well as a presence on the court.

Best wishes, Kam!
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
what up chase?

a couple of the guys told me your gonna visit san diego state this weekend, why are you gonna trip to a skool with **** academics?...the funny thing is that virtually every sdsu grad i've ever met has told me they "could've gone to cal or ucla" but "decided" to go to a clown skool instead...yeah right

the aztecs play physical d & very slow on offense, they grind it out...brian dutcher is 55 years old & has worked for steve fisher since 1984 that's the only style of play he knows, is that methodical style gonna get you developed for the nba?

malik pope got a sorry azz broken down body, very good chance he'll be back in 2018, do you wanna split minutes with him at the 4?

chase, enjoy the trips with your moms but don't be a ******* dumb azz, ok?



shocky knows everything (just ask him)#:tree
socaltownie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Plus one on this but most of the sudsy grads I know usually say that got into an arizona truck stop school but liked to surf. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
TheSouseFamily
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842836402 said:

what up chase?

a couple of the guys told me your gonna visit san diego state this weekend, why are you gonna trip to a skool with **** academics?...the funny thing is that virtually every sdsu grad i've ever met has told me they "could've gone to cal or ucla" but "decided" to go to a clown skool instead...yeah right

the aztecs play physical d & very slow on offense, they grind it out...brian dutcher is 55 years old & has worked for steve fisher since 1984 that's the only style of play he knows, is that methodical style gonna get you developed for the nba?

malik pope got a sorry azz broken down body, very good chance he'll be back in 2018, do you wanna split minutes with him at the 4?

chase, enjoy the trips with your moms but don't be a ******* dumb azz, ok?



shocky knows everything (just ask him)#:tree


I'm pretty sure he already visited Cal State San Diego last week.

Edit - Jon Rothstein tweet from the 27th: "Duke transfer Chase Jeter visited both Cal and San Diego State last week, per sources. Arizona, UCLA, USC, UNLV, Washington, Gonzaga in mix."
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheSouseFamily;842836413 said:

I'm pretty sure he already visited Cal State San Diego last week.

Edit - Jon Rothstein tweet from the 27th: "Duke transfer Chase Jeter visited both Cal and San Diego State last week, per sources. Arizona, UCLA, USC, UNLV, Washington, Gonzaga in mix."


disagree the bears that have actually talked to chase are better sources than any internet twitter sources
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?


taylor (in the middle above with her gf julianna to the right) is connected on social media with a lot of her guys, them california golden bears, she shows me some (but not all) of the funny snapchats & **** like that

so tonite she tells me she's friends now with a guy who plays for the timberwolves, "is that a nba team?" she asks me

i tell her yeah, "what's the guy's name"

taylor tells me "jordan brown"




friendship (in a small boat in a storm)#:rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh:
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
a week or two ago taylor tells me that elijah hardy wants to hang out with her

she tells him she's gonna be at the cal basketball banquet

elijah tells her that's great, let's hang out afterwards

so i called lou richie & told him to tell elijah to count on me & lou doing the hang with them too, i dunno maybe we could talk about elijah's summer school workload at bishop o'dowd to get his gpa up in order to clear cal admissions...yeah i'm the ******* dad of the year

what, shocky's not fun to be around, that **** is not true




who's chicano batman?#:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[SIZE=5]Congrats to [COLOR="#000080"]Davis Webb[/COLOR] for being selected in the third round of the NFL Draft[/SIZE]



[SIZE=4][FONT=Verdana]"I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for Cal. I'm very thankful, and that's why it's a place I'm going to call my home."[/FONT][/SIZE]
bluesaxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's a Winston thing. Winston Kennedy/Kennedy Winston.

MoragaBear;842836277 said:

Winston Deschon? The hoops version of Webb Davis?
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bluesaxe;842836720 said:

It's a Winston thing. Winston Kennedy/Kennedy Winston.


guess what, blue saxe, nobody's perfect

Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
balancing the athletic department budget action is already happening in berkeley, several sports including rugby & baseball are already quietly reducing their roster sizes:bravo

mike williams deserves props for this proactive roster cutting measure before carol christ correctly rightsizes the whole department & hopefully eliminates sport teams...while williams is not the right person to be the athletic director because of his failed relationships with donors & season tix holders due to his dysfunctional communication decision to not respond to texts, emails, letters & phone calls, everyone would be better served if he stepped down into an associate athletic director position in charge of operations...mike bleeds blue & gold and understands the academic mission in berkeley, just not sure if his ego would allow him to step down even if it's in the best interests of cal athletics:headbang

Shocky1;842818990 said:

carol christ inherited a $150m deficit that needs to be addressed/resolved, she has already lowered that figure to $110m (would've inflated to $170m if she did nothing) & is currently targeting another $54m in moving towards a more balanced budget fiscal statement

what's the deal?: cal athletics is gonna be significantly revamped to reflect today's modern financial realities...ursa is right, protecting underrepresented groups to facilitate diversity on the berkeley campus will be a factor along with the money ****

baseball players are a bunch of mostly white middle class kids that are doing poorly in the classroom & on the field (7-7 this season)...evans diamond can be converted into a playing field for other sports or turned into my personal putting/chipping practice area, either option is ok with me


adios to men's & women's gymnastics, it's sport with zero berkeley fanbase for participants with relatively affluent parents & it's a drain on haas facilities...the athletes on the team can teach yoga/meditation classes instead or something


men's soccer is a losing program (5-10-2) with no fanbase, no tears will be shed when these jerseys are permanently retired...women's soccer needs to be retained because of title ix considerations & a couple of cal branding olympic superstars like alex morgan


men's golf (thx to generous benefactor alex shipman) & tennis along with women's golf & tennis are admittedly country club sports played by rich kids but they got small roster sizes, winning programs with high academic achievement & donor support...no cuts to them plus who knows when i'll need a 4th next time i tee it up at augusta national


all the water sports (crew-roster sizes need to be reduced as there's only 8 in a boat, water polo & swimming and diving) aren't going anywhere with their new acquatic facilities & olympic games prominence/branding for cal plus mr spieker is already annoyed enough with some dumb azz blocking his view


no way women's sand volleyball (or regular volleyball) gets axed, if anything the rosters should be expanded plus marcus lee should be hired as an assistant coach of talent development


mike williams told me he's in agreement that "sonny loved the walk ons," we have too many right now that aren't contributing on the playing field & they're also draining academic support services with too many academically marginal players, the minimum gpa for walk ons should be raised to 3.5 unless a recruit is potentially a very special player (such as a future starting kicker, punter, long snapper, etc.)...by reducing the number of academic silver bullets for walks ons, more consideration would be granted by admissions for full scholly guys with borderline high school gpas...not gonna lie, gotta love looney


women's basketball is required by the pac 12 for participation in the conference plus kiwi penina davidson has gotta be a distant relative of mine...congrats to lindsay on her team's 2017 ncca tournament selection


men's & women's cross country and track & field are a tough call, they are perennially lousy teams but they also are inclusive of underrepresented diversity groups in berkeley...my recommendation would be to significantly reduce the roster sizes of each team particularly cross country which is basically a bunch of skinny white kids running in circles & **** like that...former cal pole vaulter allison stokke should be named the head coach for both teams as a flat stomach/cost savings measure


women's softball team has got some curvy brunette yoga females from lower socioeconomic backgrounds so no cuts there plus wearing their ponytails thru the back of their caps with shades on top is a great way to throw looks


rugby got letters of commitment/protection from the athletic dept but the program roster should be rightsized in half immediately & then eliminated over time...sorry, competing for national championships against life university (a chiropractor school somewhere in the midwest) isn't a big deal

bottom line, carol christ & her team need to reduce the number of student athletes by 40-50% which would also allow for significant downsizing of the athletic department staff to more financially sustainable levels & also allow greater resources for the revenue money makers football & basketball programs

shocky for athletic director (it could happen)#:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree
UrsaMajor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cutting rosters is all well and good, but according to IA's own figures, if EVERY sport went down to the minimum roster size that would allow them to remain competitive, the total savings would be less than $500,000/year. Nice, but a drop in the bucket compared with the overall deficit. As SCT puts it, MW brings a knife to a gunfight, financially as well as every other way.
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[COLOR="#000080"][SIZE=5]Congrats to Chad Hansen for being selected in the fourth round of the NFL Draft[/SIZE][/COLOR]



Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UrsaMajor;842836740 said:

Cutting rosters is all well and good, but according to IA's own figures, if EVERY sport went down to the minimum roster size that would allow them to remain competitive, the total savings would be less than $500,000/year. Nice, but a drop in the bucket compared with the overall deficit. As SCT puts it, MW brings a knife to a gunfight, financially as well as every other way.


that is absolutely not even remotely close to the truth

fake news#
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ursa, let's look at the cost of a roster spot for a typical cal student athlete, a mythical baseball player ok?



the cal baseball program buys plane tickets, team travel buses, hotel rooms & all meals for every road game, this year the team travels to lubbock for 3 days, malibu for 3 days, los angeles for 3 days, salt lake city for 3 days, seattle for 3 days, corvallis for 3 days & tucson for 3 days...total travel cost for the season is approximately $10,000

then there are recruiting expense dollars for this player...there are also medical & dental costs along with academic support center dollars along with athletic department administrative overhead...this is another $10,000 per player per season

there is also the opportunity cost of repurposing evans diamond if baseball is chopped

so significantly reducing rosters by several hundred athletes in sports that don't generate revenues is gonna save several million dollars a year which is then compounded if teams are cut altogether

don't believe the fake news math calculations by those who wish to maintain the financially unsustainable status quo in berkeley
UrsaMajor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I realize you are the smartest human on the planet with the exception of Donald Trump, but I've seen the spreadsheets from the Athletic CFO. With all due respect, I'll trust those numbers more than I do you (btw, these were compiled by folks in favor of cutting rosters). In the first place most of the slots cut don't travel (football, for instance has 135 on the roster, can be cut to around 110, but only 85 travel--by NCAA rule). Also, by and large, these aren't recruited players. Now if you are talking about cutting entire sports, that's a totally different thing--as long as title IX is respected, very large savings are possible.
socaliganbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Slimming down rosters puts you on a path to eventually dropping money losing women's teams. That's where the potential savings come in. On their own, cutting walk-on's is a pretty inconsequential move, financially.
Page 141 of 186
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.