cal's monster class deux

1,375,999 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
socaliganbear;842836767 said:

Slimming down rosters puts you on a path to eventually dropping money losing women's teams. That's where the potential savings come in. On their own, cutting walk-on's is a pretty inconsequential move, financially.

agreed, reducing men's roster slots combined with cutting certain men's sports then allows the elimination of several women's teams & remain in compliance with title ix

that's why reducing men's roster spots right now is necessary to move forward with additional cuts

continued overspending is not an option with today's budgetary constraints for the university, a significantly slimmer athletic department will benefit the cal basketball & football programs

let's do this (the time is now)#
UrsaMajor
This is only somewhat true. I agree with the overall premise, but right now, we are using Prong 3 of Title IX. The strategy you are suggesting requires a move to Prong 1. Right now, we would be so far out of compliance with Prong 1 that it would be virtually impossible to cut any women's sports without cutting many men's (even with roster reductions).
socaliganbear
UrsaMajor;842836780 said:

This is only somewhat true. I agree with the overall premise, but right now, we are using Prong 3 of Title IX. The strategy you are suggesting requires a move to Prong 1. Right now, we would be so far out of compliance with Prong 1 that it would be virtually impossible to cut any women's sports without cutting many men's (even with roster reductions).

Do you know what the ratio (or other formula) is for prong 1? We could eliminate a ton of male spots fairly easily.
UrsaMajor
Prong 1 requires the same percentage of participants as the percentage of students in the university (currently 53% female, but anticipated to go to 60% female by 2025). Right now, we're way out of compliance with that.

Unless we want to go the route of some SEC schools who see athletics solely in terms of entertainment and not for participation, it is going to be a challenge.
socaliganbear
UrsaMajor;842836794 said:

Prong 1 requires the same percentage of participants as the percentage of students in the university (currently 53% female, but anticipated to go to 60% female by 2025). Right now, we're way out of compliance with that.

Unless we want to go the route of some SEC schools who see athletics solely in terms of entertainment and not for participation, it is going to be a challenge.

Are we really tho? As it is, we already have more women's teams. Obviously, they're smaller. But If we can eliminate men's XC and track, gym, soccer, and reduce roster sizes everywhere else, we could cut upwards of 200 spots or more. Would we still really be far off from those percentages?

And yes, I do understand the diversity challenge. But we might be able to get away with it if we keep the women's CX and track teams.
MoragaBear
Staff
When you take large men's only sports with football and rugby, yes, we're way out of balance based on Prong 1. Cutting football down to 110 including walk-ons, cutting rugby down to 30 or so and cutting crew by 25-50% and starting a women's rugby program coached and fully-funded by Clark and staff might allow a switch over to Prong 1 and the subsequent women's and men's program eliminations that come with it but I'm not sure even that's enough to do it.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5][COLOR="#000080"]Congrats to Khalfani Muhammad for being selected in round 7 of the NFL Draft[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Shocky1
if you ask them high character true student athletes of cal's go all the way up class (2017) where they live, they gonna point at the berkeley hills & tell you to go all the way up in their fueled up uber helicopter...just ask french montana, nothing can stop them

[video=youtube;y2ak_oBeC-I][/video]

juhwan harris dyson, 3.0 gpa

trevin knell, 4.0 gpa

justice sueing jr, 3.8 gpa

grant anticevnich, 3.75 gpa (equivalent)

deschon winston, 3.9 gpa

curvy brunette yoga female with a flat stomach that wants to date & marry a cal, stanford or ivy league grad, gpa unknown

cal's go all the way up class (2017)#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world:bravo
Shocky1
the new cal staff is keeping an eye on 6'7" 180 lbs wing mason forbes of folsom, his sister kenzie is a california golden bear commit for coach gottlieb, both are in the 2018 class

mason is flying under the radar right now but he got a 4.0 gpa but more importantly he got great (not good) hair...moms sasha can't ball at all but dad sterling toured with the harlem globetrotters for 10 years

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article56942893.html

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (and a short drive from folsom & roseville on game days)
HoopDreams
Lonzo Ball after his dad told Nike, UA and Adidas he wasn't going sign a deal with them...
...cause he's got his own shoe

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19264024/nike-armour-adidas-not-interested-deal-lonzo-ball

mikecohen
Shocky1;842836887 said:

the new cal staff is keeping an eye on 6'7" 180 lbs wing mason forbes of folsom, his sister kenzie is a california golden bear commit for coach gottlieb, both are in the 2018 class

mason is flying under the radar right now but he got a 4.0 gpa but more importantly he got great (not good) hair...moms sasha can't ball at all but dad sterling toured with the harlem globetrotters for 10 years

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article56942893.html

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (and a short drive from folsom & roseville on game days)

& grand-dad Sterling was the L. A. City POY from Jordan H.S.
Shocky1

congrats brenden from the prez of the brenden glapion fan club & her dumb azz dad, we enjoyed dinner with you & your fam last monday at eureka...this is a remarkable achievement, stanford & columbia are missing out by putting you on their acceptance wait lists

the magic of cal basketball (a father & his daughter & a cal grad)#:bluecarrot::newnana::tree
Shocky1
NewYorkCityBear;842836947 said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19273805/nba-invites-more-60-players-draft-combine

He is conspicuously absent from the list of invitees published by ESPN. While the article has the caveat that the list is not 'official,' sure seems odd his name is not on it.

trust me, my man young ivee has been invited to the 2017 nba combine, he's battling for a lottery selection spot in the 1st round

shine brite (made it thru the hurricane)#:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe
Shocky1
sorry 89b, this isn't gonna happen & in no way does this reflect on coach wyking & the staff and their recruiting abilities

there's another clear target at point guard for 2017

89Bear;842836990 said:

Would he a huge signing and a great comeback for Coach Jones!!!
Shocky1
new washington head coach mike hopkins has indicated he's not interested in graduate 5th year senior transfers for the upcoming season, slow ball at hometown san diego state makes the most sense for k(rooks)

Shocky1
mikecohen;842837030 said:

Looks awfully good to be a walk-on -- Also, why is he walking 3,000 miles?

i dunno probably tired of moms telling him to clean his room & **** like that

walk on lives matter (including cole, nick, koko & derek)#:wave:wave:wave
HoopDreams
Jabari and a UCLA hoops star.
Kinda like Love and Basketball.
Oh, I guess that was USC.

Shocky1
a kinda unique wrinkle to coach wyking's strategy is for the assistant coaches to be positionless, everybody kinda works with everybody

coach montgomery's final staff:
travis decuire-guards
gregg gottlieb-bigs
john montgomery-recruiter

the dealmaker's 1st staff:
travis webster-guards
jon harris-bigs-
yanni hufnagel-recruiter

watching practice last week theo & chris worked more with the guards & tim with the bigs, will be interesting to see how this plays out over time

tim "gonna beat the **** out of you with my foam pad" o'toole

theo "mr nba" robertson

chris "the talker" walker

yeah, let's get the sorry azz worn out carpet replaced in front of the gold gym entrance now:hammer:

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world
89Bear
Shocky1;842837016 said:

sorry 89b, this isn't gonna happen & in no way does this reflect on coach wyking & the staff and their recruiting abilities

there's another clear target at point guard for 2017

Can't wait to see who it is.
Shocky1
calfanz;842837144 said:

As expected he is a Pirate

this is only a surprise to those that didn't know that walker never visited berkeley & didn't have an actionable offer

5th year senior grad transfer (eye on the prize)#
BeachedBear
Has anyone else having malware problems? I keep getting music videos, personal GPA information and curvy brunette Australian models on a basketball fansite. But only on certain threads...... ...

According to the Growls side, Admin is looking into it.....
Shocky1
BeachedBear;842837190 said:

Has anyone else having malware problems? I keep getting music videos, personal GPA information and curvy brunette Australian models on a basketball fansite. But only on certain threads...... ...

According to the Growls side, Admin is looking into it.....

yeah it's a real problem, beached

Shocky1
tsubamoto2001;842837230 said:

No clue if he's got the grades or not, but isn't Logan Johnson someone Cal should be looking at? It's bad enough that the PAC-12 somehow let his bro Tyler go overlooked and play at Fresno State.

unlikely, family (logan is leaving st francis) is currently moving to miami to be closer to his big bro tyler who plays for the heat

adios west coast#
Shocky1

what up, chase?

how did your 3rd official visit to gonzaga go last weekend?...spokane is a pretty diverse place, kinda like the san francisco bay area, right?

now you got your 4th official visit to arizona this upcoming weekend, make sure the donut boy of tucson tells you how he's gonna try to recruit over you with marvin bagley jr, ok?

let's be real here, chase, the trouble with **** academic schools like arizona, gonzaga & san diego state is that they not gonna open doors for you when basketball is done with you, that day arrives for everybody eventually

did I mention that southwest offers the most & cheapest flights from las vegas to berkeley on gamedays than your other visited options?

35+ mpg (guaranteed)#

Shocky1;842826654 said:

coach wyking is actively recruiting duke transfer 6'10" 230 lbs chase jeter, he got a 7'1.5 wingspan & a 9'1.25 standing reach

jeter is from bishop gorman high school & played for the las vegas prospects, he is a former top 10 player in the 2015 class (along with ivan rabb & jaylen brown) & a former mcdonalds all american...he sat out part of this season after surgery to fix a herniated disc in his back, jeter would rehab next season & be a 35+ minute starter at the 4 replacing marcus lee in 2018

chase is not a dumb azz, he got a 3.86 gpa in high school with an interest in political science...berkeley would make sense from a playing time perspective as marcus, sam & the king will all be seniors as jeter sits out next season & then he would be an impact starter for the bears in 2018 playing 35+ mpg

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including las vegas)
Shocky1
espn eliminating staff & shrinking operational costs, expect more remote site announcers which is kinda bizarro

this fiscal reality (coupled with killer whales stopping their donations in protest of mike williams dsyfunctional communication skills) has not impacted the cal athletic department (yet)
oskidunker
Remote announcers better than Bill Walton. Of course he vould be the remote announcer.
Shocky1
oskidunker;842837549 said:

Remote announcers better than Bill Walton. Of course he vould be the remote announcer.

cal remote announcers works for me as long as they got a yoga/meditation practice & a flat stomach

dontae, schmantae, who cares?

the magic of cal basketball cannot be experienced watching on tv

watching on tv is for losers, nude as news (wearing clothes & riding in golf carts is also for losers)#:nono:
rkt88edmo
#nakedcourtstormers
Shocky1
low gpa casey benson of the oregon basketball organization with the commitment to his bro (and thunder dan, just ask the waitresses at his restaurants) at grand canyon which literally has never denied admission to any prospective student

cal's targeted 5th year grad transfer at point guard is not a dumb azz, he can read books & **** like that

but can she cook (taylor's next big adventure at asu)?#:bigpuke:
Shocky1
utah's beast kyle kuzma has signed with an agent & will forego his final year of eligibility

not gonna be selected in the 2017 nba draft (don't be a dumb azz)#
Shocky1
caltagjohnson;842837770 said:

This is Winston's teammate and is a 4* 2017 guard, Winston's father is his guardian. I read somewhere that he does not have the grades to get into Cal? Otherwise he would seem to be a natural for Cal. He also has a 2018 4 * brother. Does anyone have accurate information?

bob, if you wanna follow alice down the rabbit hole searching for mostly imaginary prospects that's your choice but don't call the monster "somewhere"

te veo la noche de apertura en berkeley, amigo

friendship (is a small boat in a storm)#:beer:
UrsaMajor
Shocky:

I'm kinda worried/confused. You are always writing about "50-year decisions" and Oregon, UofA, ASU as training schools for fast food jobs. Now I read that Taylor is at ASU? What gives?
Shocky1
UrsaMajor;842837782 said:

Shocky:

I'm kinda worried/confused. You are always writing about "50-year decisions" and Oregon, UofA, ASU as training schools for fast food jobs. Now I read that Taylor is at ASU? What gives?

ursa, asu is a training school for fast food jobs, strippers & future wives of cal, stanford & ivy league grads...taylor (who lacks her dad's killer instincts) is gonna go to school in tempe like her moms, she got a good (3.3 gpa) but not great gpa...she will continue in her role as one of the california golden bears biggest fans on gamedays with her dumb azz dad, wearing sun devils gear around the house is not gonna happen

taylor, i just want you to be happy in life & i love our time together traveling to berkeley & road games, love you always sweetie

Shocky1;842591620 said:

beauty & the beast#
caltagjohnson
Shocky, somewhere in there I conclude that you don't have a clue. Just say so. This is a legitimate question, not a rabbit hole. I don't need the twisted phraseology. I also speak German if English doesn't work.
Shocky1
caltagjohnson;842837811 said:

Shocky, somewhere in there I conclude that you don't have a clue. Just say so. This is a legitimate question, not a rabbit hole. I don't need the twisted phraseology. I also speak German if English doesn't work.

devanta hat nicht einen gpa hoch genug um an der zahl der ffentlichen universitt in der welt akzeptiert zu bekommen, bekam sie?

:rant:rant:rant:rant:rant:rant
First Page Last Page
Page 142 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.