cal's monster class deux

1,376,203 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
tsubamoto2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
89Bear;842838089 said:

Many people probably thought Mullins didnt move the needle before his transfer either. Yet, he became probably the best, most consistent player on the team. I think Neal would be an excellent pickup considering the current roster.

Most knowledgeable observers had reasonable expectations for Mullins, which was to be a key part of the rotation. I'm not sure that he surprised anyone that knew his game and what he did at Columbia.

All that said, calling him the "best, most consistent player on the team" is a stretch. There were several key games (scoreless vs. Seton Hall and Virginia, losses which kept us out of the NCAA's) where he struggled with his shot and didn't contribute much. That's not to belittle the solid season that he had overall, but let's be accurate.
HoopDreams
two athletes who's journey's crossed at Cal are Jaylen Brown and Kylie Reed

Jaylen and the Boston Celtics are in a battle in the NBA East playoffs, losing today vs the Wizards
Kylie and the Cal softball team won today, beating #22 ASU in a big win during a tough season

but win or lose, these athletes are having the journey of their life, and will be forever Bears

Shocky1
what up, warren?

sounds like your gonna make a collegiate decision in the very near future & that you got 3 finalists

let's examine your recent quotes to josh gershon (the most accurate high school talent evaluator in the nation), ok?

cal: "i like the school, how they balance everything and the coaching staff is great"...coach wyking's up tempo style of play is well suited for your getting minted in the nba aspirations & berkeley is the #1 ranked public university in the world...plus trevin needs a roommate that don't mind all his loud azz snoring

utah: "great facilities, great coaching staff and fan base"...utah is an academically mediocre school that offers limited opportunities in life after basketball & let's be real here you don't wanna freeze your ******* azz for 5-6 months of the year in snowy salt lake city, right?...special k's bang it inside gameplan is not suited to your lean athletic frame & ability to run the court

san diego state: "it's a great school, great campus and great fan base"...what the **** are you talking about, warren?...sdsu is a commuter college for 2.5 gpa dumb azzs that wanna hang out with the same crowd as high school...like utah, sdsu's style of play is slooooow & methodical

50 year decision#:gobears:

Shocky1;842719307 said:

the cal staff offered bouncy 6'9" 185 lbs 2018 warren washington from escondido high school earlier this summer & warren attended cal's elite camp this weekend while doing the hang with coach martin & coach webster (who started scouting warren as a freshman on the aau circuit)

yeah warren got good hair, coach martin & coach webster not so much

washington is a stretch 4 that could potentially slide at times to the 3 creating major offensive mismatches that can knock down 3 pointers, pass the ball to cutters with vision, block shots/rebound in the paint & run the court...he would benefit tremendously from coach christopher's world class (and fun) s&c program, gaining good weight & strength is a major priority for him to develop along the lines of his idol current golden state warrior kevin durant

warren is a mature true student athlete that enjoys his world history & english classes, he is not a dumb azz...washington has told ryan gorcey that he got a 3.5 gpa

[video=youtube;aoippovraQA][/video]

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including san diego):gobears:
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]this is his team now[/SIZE]

Shocky1
chase jeter visited tucson weekend & will visit westwood next weekend

his official trips will include cal, san diego state, gonzaga, arizona & ucla with a decision expected shortly thereafter
socaliganbear
Cullen Neal to St. Mary's, per Joe Rothstein.
parentswerebears
Hmmm... This is going to be more difficult than previously thought.
tsubamoto2001
Not a surprise with Neal. SMC is where he originally signed and he's got a great relationship with that staff. Would have been a nice addition. While he's a good student, Cal's grad programs don't give a damn.

I don't see too many options out there at this point that would drastically change the preseason outlook of this team.
Shocky1
what up, jordan?

there's a lot of point guards in moraga with cullen neal's commitment to the gaels

Shocky1;842837995 said:

the primary competition for cullen neal is st marys, he originally was a commit to the gaels out of high school until his dad got hired by new mexico when rapist enabler steve alford took the ucla opening

one more point guard on the gaels roster might send a message to true student athlete jordan ford that it's time to upgrade his future academically from moraga to berkeley

the dealmaker made a serious error in judgment when he passed on 2 likely commits in jordan ford (3.8 gpa) & jonah matthews (3.5 gpa) in order to take commitments from a bunch of low gpa dumb azz guards including alec hickman, tyson jolly, davon dillard & oscar frayer that never got cleared by cal admissions

richard midgley (who coached against ford when he was at modesto christian) once told me jordan is a high skill point guard that can unselfishly facilitate his teammates at the 1

yeah jordan ford is a winner in every sense of the word

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including folsom):wave:wave:wave
parentswerebears
Has Jordan expressed interest in transferring? Would he be available immediately?
bearmanpg
He would not be available for 1 year...a little late for Cal when they could have had him last year for sure...(I told you all that Cal was making a mistake last year)...
Shocky1

"yeah my name is jordan brown, i got a 3.5 gpa and shocky says i'm not a dumb azz"

today was a good day#
DWM81
A lot of good info on this thread...Thanks to all "insiders" who contribute so much.

How is Cal doing with Jordan Brown? Do we have any realistic chance?
89Bear
Shocky1;842838225 said:

what up, jordan?

there's a lot of point guards in moraga with cullen neal's commitment to the gaels

We're in a situation where we are trying to poach players currently on rosters with other schools???? Didn't we have a problem with it concerning Gonzaga and Matthews???
MoragaBear
Staff
That's a poster speaking, not Cal.
6956bear
parentswerebears;842838183 said:

Hmmm... This is going to be more difficult than previously thought.

I expected difficult so I am not surprised. New coach, difficult grad school admissions and lots of competitors looking for help. One year transfers that are eligible immediately are gifts for programs. Will not hurt recruiting and if they do not work out they are gone after 1 season. Not a big surprise that both of Cal's hoops grad transfers were Ivy's. IMO a very small market available to Wyking. Those that can come likely won't help and getting those in that may help is very difficult and have "simpler" options.
BC Calfan
6956bear;842838473 said:

I expected difficult so I am not surprised. New coach, difficult grad school admissions and lots of competitors looking for help. One year transfers that are eligible immediately are gifts for programs. Will not hurt recruiting and if they do not work out they are gone after 1 season. Not a big surprise that both of Cal's hoops grad transfers were Ivy's. IMO a very small market available to Wyking. Those that can come likely won't help and getting those in that may help is very difficult and have "simpler" options.

Another issue with the grad students is whether they intend to stay for the full 2 years. Tarwater and Kerr did. Webb didn't. And not sure about Mullins. These grad programs will be more reluctant to take athletes if they're not going to fulfill the full obligation, don't you think?
89Bear
MoragaBear;842838444 said:

That's a poster speaking, not Cal.

Yes, I know it was one fan speaking.
tsubamoto2001
BC Calfan;842838525 said:

Another issue with the grad students is whether they intend to stay for the full 2 years. Tarwater and Kerr did. Webb didn't. And not sure about Mullins. These grad programs will be more reluctant to take athletes if they're not going to fulfill the full obligation, don't you think?

Should Webb pass up the NFL so Cal admins and their cronies have a nice tingling feeling inside? So they feel elite? This is life...Webb got a lifetime opportunity, so he should take that and they should keep their uppity mouths shut. If they are practicing prejudice against athletes because of some junk about "fulfilling the full obligation" then they can stick it where the sun don't shine. If Webb was a non-prospect, he'd for sure be fulfilling that "full obligation". Not mad at you personally, BC Calfan. I'm tired of the condescending view the admins have toward Cal athletics.
Sebastabear
tsubamoto2001;842838581 said:

Should Webb pass up the NFL so Cal admins and their cronies have a nice tingling feeling inside? So they feel elite? This is life...Webb got a lifetime opportunity, so he should take that and they should keep their uppity mouths shut. If they are practicing prejudice against athletes because of some junk about "fulfilling the full obligation" then they can stick it where the sun don't shine. If Webb was a non-prospect, he'd for sure be fulfilling that "full obligation". Not mad at you personally, BC Calfan. These admins make me sick. I'm tired of the BS.

Webb was always going to stay one year and then enter the draft and no one, including the admins who admitted him, could possibly be surprised by that. But I did hear from some admissions folks with football connections that they really, really hoped he'd finish his course work this Spring (I think that was in the realm of the possible). Do we know for sure he didn't? What I heard was that, if he didn't finish his course work, this would definitely make things more difficult for the athletics department to get players admitted who were on a similar trajectory. Webb very much struck me as a straight shooter and I'd be surprised if he didn't stick to whatever commitment he made - but again no one ever thought he'd be at Cal this Fall.
socaliganbear
tsubamoto2001;842838581 said:

Should Webb pass up the NFL so Cal admins and their cronies have a nice tingling feeling inside? So they feel elite? This is life...Webb got a lifetime opportunity, so he should take that and they should keep their uppity mouths shut. If they are practicing prejudice against athletes because of some junk about "fulfilling the full obligation" then they can stick it where the sun don't shine. If Webb was a non-prospect, he'd for sure be fulfilling that "full obligation". Not mad at you personally, BC Calfan. I'm tired of the condescending view the admins have toward Cal athletics.

You're making a lot of assumptions on who thinks/feels what. Or that Cullen got rejected by Cal in the first place. Maybe he just went to the better program with the proven coach and this actually has nothing to do with Webb.
tsubamoto2001
socaliganbear;842838595 said:

You're making a lot of assumptions on who thinks/feels what. Or that Cullen got rejected by Cal in the first place. Maybe he just went to the better program with the proven coach and this actually has nothing to do with Webb.

Perhaps you're correct. However, my rant didn't necessarily have to do with Neal. It's just the general antagonism or apathy (take your pick) that seems to be emanating from the administration toward Cal Basketball.
Shocky1
89Bear;842838407 said:

We're in a situation where we are trying to poach players currently on rosters with other schools???? Didn't we have a problem with it concerning Gonzaga and Matthews???

yeah as the director of recruiting with a significant following of west coast true student athletes with high gpas as monster readers, it should be pointed out that while i'm encouraging high academic achievement guys like jordan ford & marcus lee (which ultimately was successful) to transfer, nobody on the cal staff is soliciting or engaging in any tampering conversations with players at other schools

89b, i get your utter confusion with this matter & be reassured i'm gonna continue to rebuild the cal basketball program as necessary

your welcome

shut up, shocky#
Shocky1
BeachedBear;842838501 said:

After a while to digest and reflect on the events of the last season, I think Williams has been thinking about Martin's replacement for a lot longer than any on BI suspected (as he hopefully would as an AD). My sense is that he had a good feeling for Wyking Jones from his time on the staff. When CM left, Williams went through a process to see if there was anything better than Jones as an option - and decided there wasn't.

There are a lot of 'external' factors that make the BBall hire at this time challenging. Both in terms of who Cal should/could hire as well as how attractive the job is to someone coming from somewhere else. That last part was probably used as Williams own internal justification for a limited search effort.

wrong, the cal athletic dept administration led by mike williams thought as late as the pac 12 tournament that martin was staying & that he might even be bluffing/posturing for a better deal in berkeley

dsyfunctional communications led to failed relationships which left the staff unprepared for the dealmaker's departure, they did not take action on his concerns re: the dedicated practice facility, his request for charter flights for road games & the misuse of meb funds for operational recruiting expenses

while i'm very supportive of the hiring of coach wyking it was a poorly planned/managed process with numerous key targets not fully vetted in advance & the selection committee not having preexisting relationships with coaching prospects to better understand their gameplans for success in berkeley...the final straw for several killer whales was the fake news that "dozens of donors" were contacted re: the search process, that is not even remotely true

amateur hour in berkeley#
caltagjohnson
Thanks for the info. Another factor was that a long drawn out search might have risked losing all the recruiting class. Martin did not do us a favor quitting when he did, The AD should have had a contingency plan in place. Wyking may save their bacon.
Shocky1
caltagjohnson;842838730 said:

Thanks for the info. Another factor was that a long drawn out search might have risked losing all the recruiting class. Martin did not do us a favor quitting when he did, The AD should have had a contingency plan in place. Wyking may save their bacon.

mike williams did not have anything close to a contingency plan in place but he did entertain almost the entire cal athletic department development staff to a a couple of days team building all expenses paid vacation to las vegas for the pac 12 tournament while gobbling up the premium seats & not speaking with the meb donors (except wifeisafraud) & season tix holders in attendance

amateur hour in berkeley#
roqmoq
Shocky1;842837914 said:

another cal's monster class exclusive announcement: coach wyking & the staff are targeting 6'4" 191 lbs cullen neal as a potential starting point guard competing with brandon chauca as a 5th year senior graduate transfer

cullen played last season for ole miss in the sec averaging 9.4 ppg on 41.1% on fgs, 40.9% on 3 pointers & a late in the game deadly 87.6% on fts, there is no question the dude can shoot the rock...his only 79 assists in 36 games would need to at least double if he ends up in berkeley

neal played for his dad craig in new mexico (that's the wyking connection) for 2 tumultuous seasons as a lobo & received death threats among other harassment after a stellar high school at eldorado high school in albuquerque as a top 100 player in the 2012 class averaging 26.4 ppg & 7.1 apg as mr basketball in new mexico...the **** he endured in the land of green chili has made him a mentally tougher competitor

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/after-playing-for-his-dad-at-new-mexico-cullen-neal-is-much-happier-at-ole-miss/

best of all, cullen is not a dumb azz, while he's not as smart as shocky he got a 3.98 gpa in high school & was a multiple time all mountain west scholar athlete selection...he's interested in journalism & will probably become a partner in the cal's monster class ipo if he earns a grad degree in berkeley

let's how how neal's application to a cal grad school plays out, the bears need as many experienced guards as possible to play coach wyking's proposed high octane louisville style of ball

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (not just the "country," chris):gobears:

from a friend in Albuqueque;

[SIZE=4][COLOR="#0000FF"]he was a top flight high school player who regularly played against Bryce Alford--when he went to UNM he suffered because he was considered the coach's (father's) pet, sitting next to him on the bench, etc--very streaky when playing--many turnovers--a good but not great 3 pt shooter--his transfer to Miss was a good move for him and I think he played better there--he has one year of eligibility left and the local paper here says he was going to St Mary's where he initially planned to go before his dad became head coach here--to sum up, lots of experience but lacks consistency

[/COLOR][/SIZE]
caltagjohnson
Cal just set APR records in both football and basketball. Doubt Williams is going anywhere.
UrsaMajor
While the APR is vitally important, that's not what MW's job security is going to be based on.
GoldenBear1
Strong academics at Cal is not something the AD should get credit for. It's the expectation.
Williams gets very low marks for fundraising, donor outreach, defining expectations and producing consistent winning results. His poor work ethic/leadership in the most basic/important AD functions and failure to put conditions in place that promote confidence of Cal fans scream dismal is necessary!
Ridiculous
UrsaMajor
You left out administration and budgeting, which in the current environment is crucial (and is very problematic in IA)
Shocky1
walked a nonstop 36 holes (went directly from the 18th green to the 1st tee) yesterday at coore & crenshaw's trinity river golf club which is located 20 miles south of dallas in the barrio...staying at the nicest hotel in the area the la quinta ($84, no spa and/or room service) a couple of exits past the club i asked the check in receptionist if i could leave my stuff in the rental car overnight, the latina curvy brunette yoga female told me "i'm not even gonna lie, we get cars and trucks broken into all the time"...yeah i brought my mcKenzie into the room with me, my sticks are mis amigos

trinity forest is the most strategically complex design in the c&c portfolio (lost farm in tasmania is the 2nd such design)...on a rumpled parcel of property the former landfill was sand capped and transformed into a tightly routed walkable texas links version of st andrews with bold & audacious pinehurst #2 domed greens...the highly challenging (and sometimes unfair) green complexes will result in many mixed opinions of this course from a thumbs down from the well traveled fellow golf magazine panelist irishman fergal o'leary to enthusiastic appreciation from dues paying member jordan spieth & myself.

mike strantz & jim engh would approve the semi blind (you can see the top of the flagstick) 110 yards par 3 gem which plays across tiny scab bunkers to a downhill double punchbowl green with fascinating back doors, side doors & trap doors.

what's the worst hole at trinity forest?

the poorly conceived dumbing down by the greens staff of the white tees (6547 yards) 449 marker par 4 13th hole with the tee moved up to 400+ yards resulted in my 250 yard drives rolling thru the fairway into the thick native vegetation which is probably not what bill coore had in mind when designing the hole...not a fan that there are only yardage monuments for the blue tees (7150 yards).

i paid $240 cash to my caddie luis who was shocked by my generosity of friendship, told him that this former caddie at san francisco golf club back in the day always takes cares of his amigos

on the back back to the airport i drove by the cotton bowl & also the scene where jfk was shot from the texas book school depository and tried to imagine what the zapruder film revealed from the grassy knoll

yeah bill (who crafted 17 of the greens except for the utterly diabolical 14th par 5 with its sea headrig ocean sea waves contouring which was conceived by his partner who won a green jacket at augusta national) & bill pushed the envelope together at trinity forest, friendship is a small boat in a storm

bears on the prowl in texas#:bluecarrot:
Shocky1
coach walker in conjunction with wyking has offered 6'7" 205 lbs top 70 ranked player in the 2018 class jaedon ledee of kinkaid high school in houston & the basketball university aau program

jaedon is coached up by his dad herb a former nevada point guard back in the day, he has known chris walker since high school ...jaedon & his moms (an assistant principal in the woodlands high school district, daniel lasco is a family friend) visited berkeley during a christmas break high school tournament & he worked out with longtime family friend marcus lee...family loves the san francisco bay area

jaedon is not a dumb azz, he got a 3.5 gpa this school year

getting the ledee family back to berkeley for another visit/relationship building opportunity this summer is a high priority for the staff

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world:gobears:
Shocky1
gerald liddell has narrowed his finalist list to 7 schools: cal, smu, ucla, texas, oregon, baylor & arizona

[video=youtube;Pl7G8ecg-40][/video]

gerald liddell=#9 ranked player in the 2018 class

high impact true student athlete#:bravo
socaltownie
Shocky1;842838904 said:

walked a nonstop 36 holes (went directly from the 18th green to the 1st tee) yesterday at coore & crenshaw's trinity river golf club which is located 20 miles south of dallas in the barrio...staying at the nicest hotel in the area the la quinta ($84, no spa and/or room service) a couple of exits past the club i asked the check in receptionist if i could leave my stuff in the rental car overnight, the latina curvy brunette yoga female told me "i'm not even gonna lie, we get cars and trucks broken into all the time"...yeah i brought my mcKenzie into the room with me, my sticks are mis amigos

trinity forest is the most strategically complex design in the c&c portfolio (lost farm in tasmania is the 2nd such design)...on a rumpled parcel of property the former landfill was sand capped and transformed into a tightly routed walkable texas links version of st andrews with bold & audacious pinehurst #2 domed greens...the highly challenging (and sometimes unfair) green complexes will result in many mixed opinions of this course from a thumbs down from the well traveled fellow golf magazine panelist irishman fergal o'leary to enthusiastic appreciation from dues paying member jordan spieth & myself.

mike strantz & jim engh would approve the semi blind (you can see the top of the flagstick) 110 yards par 3 gem which plays across tiny scab bunkers to a downhill double punchbowl green with fascinating back doors, side doors & trap doors.

what's the worst hole at trinity forest?

the poorly conceived dumbing down by the greens staff of the white tees (6547 yards) 449 marker par 4 13th hole with the tee moved up to 400+ yards resulted in my 250 yard drives rolling thru the fairway into the thick native vegetation which is probably not what bill coore had in mind when designing the hole...not a fan that there are only yardage monuments for the blue tees (7150 yards).

i paid $240 cash to my caddie luis who was shocked by my generosity of friendship, told him that this former caddie at san francisco golf club back in the day always takes cares of his amigos

on the back back to the airport i drove by the cotton bowl & also the scene where jfk was shot from the texas book school depository and tried to imagine what the zapruder film revealed from the grassy knoll

yeah bill (who crafted 17 of the greens except for the utterly diabolical 14th par 5 with its sea headrig ocean sea waves contouring which was conceived by his partner who won a green jacket at augusta national) & bill pushed the envelope together at trinity forest, friendship is a small boat in a storm

bears on the prowl in texas#:bluecarrot:

Do you think Pinehurst greens will work the 250 days a year it will be blowing 20+ MPH? I wonder......
First Page Last Page
Page 144 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.