cal's monster class deux

1,375,819 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
BC Calfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
yeah, I don't think Hickmans slow release jumper was the reason we dropped his offer. And Mathews is a good example of a "slow release" that worked out fine--proving my point.
If u can shoot, u can shoot. If u lose the ability because of the speed of the game then you're not a good shooter
Shocky1
alec hickman also had a 2.9 gpa, his offer was dropped because he did not clear cal admissions
Shocky1
2017 6'2" 165 lbs darius mcneil from westfield high school in houston is seeking a release from his letter of intent from iowa state, those discussions are still ongoing...darius played for coach walker's aau team back in the day

mcneil is a speedy ball handler with a strong motor that can get to the rim & can make plays off the dribble...he got superior vision and also had offers from smu, texas tech & cincinnati

darius got good hair, he will not be outworked (his work ethic is redunkulous) & most importantly he's a mama boy like shocky

mcneil (who has not had any conversations with the cal staff) would be an ideal fit in coach wyking's uptempo system...guys who wanna be in the bears playing rotation are gonna be in elite condition with new s&c coach's jordan james demanding armed forces program...sorry, chief keef is not one of those guys, he got bad habits

yeah the diverse & cosmopolitan san francisco bay area with ideal year round cali weather is not ugly azz like ames

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (not just the country including texas):bravo
Shocky1
if you ask them high character true student athletes of cal's go all the way up class (2017) where they live, they gonna point at the berkeley hills & tell you to go all the way up in their fueled up uber helicopter...just ask french montana, nothing can stop them

[video=youtube;y2ak_oBeC-I][/video]

juhwan harris dyson, 3.0 gpa

trevin knell, 4.0 gpa

justice sueing jr, 3.8 gpa

grant anticevnich, 3.75 gpa (australian equivalent)

deschon winston, 3.9 gpa

paris austin, 3.35 gpa (boise state)

austin mccullough, 3.97 gpa

curvy brunette yoga female with a flat stomach that wants to date & marry a cal, stanford or ivy league grad, gpa unknown

cal's go all the way up class (2017)#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world:bravo
HoopDreams

HoopDreams

Vineyardview
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5]New NCAA requirements. You must have a 2.3 core GPA no matter what. If you do not have a 2.3 GPA you are NOT A QUALIFIER. Super Important[/SIZE][/FONT]

Just another reminder of the differences in Cal's and the NCAA's GPA requirements.
NVBear78
How did he get into a different UC?
puget sound cal fan
Can he hit the 3?
Shocky1
NVBear78;842840892 said:

How did he get into a different UC?

who you talking about?
Shocky1
puget sound cal fan;842840896 said:

Can he hit the 3?

darius mcneil got more of a point blank basket attack mode & mid range game right now, working from behind the 3 point line will be a point of emphasis when he plays d1 ball somewhere

WavyBear
Gpa?
Shocky1
kingwin;842840903 said:

Gpa?

look above, lots of fingers & **** like that

signs everywhere#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842840905 said:

look above, lots of fingers & **** like that

signs everywhere#

should be emphasized that mcneil has not been released from his iowa state loi & that there's been no contact by the staff with him

gpa unknown (transcripts not reviewed)#
HoopDreams
Marcus Lee will be the featured player on this year's Cal team.
He is a total lock down defender and fierce shot blocker.
After a year of working on his game vs future NBA player, Ivan Rabb...
He will finally be able to show his offense game at Cal.

He's not a skinny freshmen anymore.

tsubamoto2001
Shocky1;842840912 said:

should be emphasized that mcneil has not been released from his iowa state loi & that there's been no contact by the staff with him

gpa unknown (transcripts not reviewed)#

Unless he has a "good" reason (like the sick family member thing that Kennedy Winston pulled) for being let out of his LOI, I doubt Iowa State releases him.
NVBear78
tsubamoto2001;842840919 said:

Unless he has a "good" reason (like the sick family member thing that Kennedy Winston pulled) for being let out of his LOI, I doubt Iowa State releases him.

Now days there seems to be much more flexibility in situations like this and it is rare to see schools trying to hold kids who have stated they don't want to be there.
tsubamoto2001
NVBear78;842840922 said:

Now days there seems to be much more flexibility in situations like this and it is rare to see schools trying to hold kids who have stated they don't want to be there.

I agree that there's more flexibility, but there still has to be a "legitimate" reason. Matt Mitchell, Jemarl Baker's teammate at Roosevelt, asked out of his LOI with Cal State Fullerton after he blew up this season, but they refused and he's going to do a 5th year at a prep school.
caltagjohnson
Since there is no coaching change ISU is not obliged to let McNeil out of his LOI. They could restrict him from transferring within their conference. If they are not flexible his only option may be prep school. If money were not an issue he could come to Cal as a walkon and get a scholarship next year. Not likely.
HoopDreams
After beating Notre Dame for the second time in the NCAAs, the Bears go down vs Auburn in Regional Finals

Season of dreams is over

Thanks for the memories, and good luck to the seniors

Shocky1
what up, roman?

you know i'm your biggest fan, the guy who sees your unlimited potential, the one who talks to nba scouts re: your crazy athleticism during the early warm ups, the believer who knows you got all pac 12 potential

do you remember the asu game in tempe when the bears were up big time late in the game & i started to relentlessly yell from right behind the cal bench with taylor at the dealmaker to put you in the game with a couple of minutes left?...he turned around & gave me the stink eye death row stare but then he put both you & cole in the game

but let's be real here, roman, you haven't worked hard enough (you took last summer off) on your game, your crooked azz shooting earned you a spot on the bench next to martin...are you gonna put in the work to put up 500+ practice shots every single day (no days off, no excuses)?

roman, the time is now, is your career gonna be unforgettable?

unforgettable (potential don't mean **** if you don't got a indefatigable work ethic)#:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe
HoopDreams
Jaylen Brown and the Boston Celtics pick up a win in the Eastern Conference finals

Celtics coach started substituting defense/offense in the final minutes of the game

Yeah, defense will get you minutes in the League

caltagjohnson
Roman is going nowhere unless he learns how to shoot a basketball. Starting with his form.
caltagjohnson
Theo was one of our best 3 point scorers when he played. During his previous stint on the Cal coaching staff he coached the guards in practice. Maybe he can get something out of Roman.
joe amos yaks
Go RDavis and go Bears!
NVBear78
caltagjohnson;842840972 said:

Roman is going nowhere unless he learns how to shoot a basketball. Starting with his form.

Sad to say, I have to agree with this: the free throws Roman shot last year looked like the first he had ever taken..... I like the athleticism and potential of this young man and hope he is getting instruction on proper shoot form and is practicing over and over and over....
Shocky1
received the following mail (which is excerpted below to protect the identity of the writer) from a so cal basketball insider:

"olin simplis (pictured in the foto with roman that i posted) stresses building up the body, athleticism, etc. yet in my opinion, really lacks in developing necessary skills for players to be effective d1 players...as you stated, roman's shot and his form on that shot is completely broken...in addition he only has one basic move going to the basket...roman easily passes the eye test with great size and good athleticism yet he is an athlete, not a basketball player...in the same workout ira lee took part and was destroying roman

in roman's case, especially if he wants to be a contributing player at the high d1 level with hopes of having a pro career, he should completely break down his shot starting with footwork and mechanics (e.g. his off hand is too involved in his perimeter shot which causes great inconsistency)...as i see in most players who have always been big and athletic, the intricacies of the game have not been emphasized (frankly probably because they didn't need it) and that fact is now coming around to haunt them

these fundamentals leading to a minimum of 500 makes a day in the off season are the key to him turning his career around"
caltagjohnson
There are only 2 guys who are assured of a starting spot, Lee and Okoroh. There are 6 or 7 guys who will be competing for the remaining 3 spots. If Cal plays an uptempo defense they are going to need a lot of guys. On offense you may see periods when Cal goes with 3 guards. A number of combinations are possible.
LOUMFSG2
caltagjohnson;842841008 said:

There are only 2 guys who are assured of a starting spot, Lee and Okoroh. There are 6 or 7 guys who will be competing for the remaining 3 spots. If Cal plays an uptempo defense they are going to need a lot of guys. On offense you may see periods when Cal goes with 3 guards. A number of combinations are possible.

Which is why I believe getting improvements from Roman Davis is important, and why Rooks leaving is a significant loss. When I look at our roster and think about playing up-tempo, especially on defense, I don't think you can count on huge minutes every night from Lee and Okoroh. Fouls and fatigue are going to dictate playing others at the 4/5, and without Rooks, Roman is going to have to make significant contributions. I think Cole Welle is going to have to play a lot, too.

And what happens if Lee or Okoroh get hurt?
caltagjohnson
Okoroh is a BIG man. Not just tall, He will be protecting the rim, not chasing a bunch of little guys. When Rooks was hurt, Okoroh played a lot more minutes and was more effective. He didn't have to contend with Martin's "two headed center" approach. Lee's backup will have to be Anticevich (6-8 +). or Sueing (6-7). King's backup is Lee. I agree that we really need another F/C. Otherwise we play a lot of "small ball".
mikecohen
caltagjohnson;842841039 said:

Okoroh is a BIG man. Not just tall, He will be protecting the rim, not chasing a bunch of little guys. When Rooks was hurt, Okoroh played a lot more minutes and was more effective. He didn't have to contend with Martin's "two headed center" approach. Lee's backup will have to be Anticevich (6-8 +). or Sueing (6-7). King's backup is Lee. I agree that we really need another F/C. Otherwise we play a lot of "small ball".

Small carp: ". . . not chasing a bunch of little guys . . .", UNLESS the offense screens the little guy onto him (which could be done all the time - if there were no answer to it)
6956bear
mikecohen;842841057 said:

Small carp: ". . . not chasing a bunch of little guys . . .", UNLESS the offense screens the little guy onto him (which could be done all the time - if there were no answer to it)

The Bears may press more, but I do expect the team to play more zone than they did a season ago (maybe a lot more). The lack of depth may force Jones into certain defenses more often than he really would want. Foul trouble among the bigs is real trouble, but really the team has little depth so fouls anywhere are a problem.
caltagjohnson
King will be around the rim. If someone beats our defense and goes for a layup, he will meet King as the last line of defense. King blocked a lot ot those attempted layups last year.
caltagjohnson
At the wing position we have far more depth than last year. Coleman, Dyson, Sueing, Anticevich, McCullough
No depth at F/C.
Big C
caltagjohnson;842841071 said:

At the wing position we have far more depth than last year. Coleman, Dyson, Sueing, Anticevich, McCullough
No depth at F/C.

Okay, so that's five bodies to throw out there. To talk about our "depth" at wing, wow, that's really putting a good spin on things. One erratic guy, 2nd year in the program. Four "true" freshmen: A good recruit who might not be much of a shooter. A decent recruit. Two guys we're hoping MIGHT eventually be contributors.

(I get it, you were comparing our depth at wing with our depth in the post.)
First Page Last Page
Page 149 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.