cal's monster class deux

1,376,357 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bluesaxe;842841360 said:

Two completely unrelated topics there shocky. Last I heard there is no game this week/month/Spring-Summer.

bluesaxe, there are recruiting battles being fought every single day right now 24/7

my buddy justin labagh (he gives me a rams t-shirt every now & then), the winningest head coach in the history of the game of basketball, once told me that championships are won in the summer months not march

the struggle that must be#:rant
Shocky1
sluggo_Cal;842841409 said:

Why exactly would he be fired? Because of something he did at Iowa? UCLA knew what they were getting and they did not care. The LA Times says they are working on an extension. Recruiting is going great for them and they had a mostly successful season last year.

Sluggo

why will steve alford be fired after this season?

because ucla donors (the whales that pay the bill don't like his aloofness towards them) are unhappy with how last season turned out with once in a lifetime talent lonzo ball, pauley pavillon got staggering debt & declining attendance & ucla fans are unrealistic re: their team's upside, 19-12 will get him fired

extensions don't mean ****, martin was "working on an extension" when he left berkeley
Shocky1
GB54;842841448 said:

The Maple Syrup and Meth local sustainable program at UVM extension

that is seriously funny
Shocky1
Shocky1;842841449 said:

my seat at haas is directly across from the opposing team coach, those who don't think i call steve alford a rapist enabler & dana altman a criminal when they visit berkeley are mistaken

the reaction of the 2 coaches is quite different

rapist enabler steve alford looks everywhere except my direction (which is pretty funny) when i call him out

criminal dana altman stares directly back at me & which point i accelerate the verbal barrage...you would think i would make fun of his really bad hairpiece but i think it's more on point to just criticize him for intentionally bringing low gpa rapists & criminals to eugene but who's to say what really is the best way to communicate with a piece of **** like altman
bluesaxe
I understand that. I also attended every game for years until I moved too far away to do that. I gained far less information about recruiting from going to games than I did from talking to high school coaches and going to aau events. My point is that you use that "doesn't go to games" as if it means something in every context, but it makes no sense in the context you used it this time.

Shocky1;842841450 said:

bluesaxe, there are recruiting battles being fought every single day right now 24/7

my buddy justin labagh (he gives me a rams t-shirt every now & then), the winningest head coach in the history of the game of basketball, once told me that championships are won in the summer months not march

the struggle that must be#:rant
Shocky1
bluesaxe, i say a lot of stuff that don't make much sense in any context but that hasn't stopped me from successfully recruiting 2 nba lottery picks in ivan rabb & jaylen brown & hopefully a 3rd in jordan brown...all 3 were/are readers of the monster while in high school

[video=youtube;TKmCSOdVJMU][/video]

back to the bay#:gobears:
TheSouseFamily
Shocky1;842841476 said:

bluesaxe, i say a lot of stuff that don't make much sense in any context but that hasn't stopped me from successfully recruiting 2 nba lottery picks in ivan rabb & jaylen brown & hopefully a 3rd in jordan brown...all 3 were/are readers of the monster while in high school

back to the bay#:gobears:

All true but your recruiting of potential grad transfers this cycle was pretty p!ss poor.
Shocky1
TheSouseFamily;842841486 said:

All true but your recruiting of potential grad transfers this cycle was pretty p!ss poor.

agreed but the wolf of wall street is still my guy, expect to see grant mullins on the floor as my guest next season while his capital venture career starts in san francisco

black soap (nyc underground)#
Shocky1
congrats to exceptional communicator & hard worker chris celona in cal's athletic dept on his career upgrade to associate ad at arizona in charge of sales, tix operations & running down to craycroft to get heart attack maple bars for the donut boy of tuscon

dude is gonna be a successful athletic director sooner than later, he understands the importance of engaging & energizing the fan base with relentless hard work & immediate communication responses

love that guy

relentless hard work (pays off eventually)#:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:
GB54
Shocky1;842841476 said:

back to the bay#:gobears:[/nQUOTE]

The Monster is always under attack by the no account elitists with their NPR tote bags and farmer's markets. It's the People's Board- full of blood and promise to a man with a steely eye and a steady trigger finger.
BearNecessities
TheSouseFamily;842841486 said:

I'd say the recruiting was equally good in all periods
Fyght4Cal
Shocky1;842841449 said:

my seat at haas is directly across from the opposing team coach, those who don't think i call steve alford a rapist enabler & dana altman a criminal when they visit berkeley are mistaken

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6377[/ATTACH]
bearchamp
The Peoples' Board??????? Yes, those floor seat holders are of the People. I wonder how many of the loudmouths on this board were ever athletes at Cal.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5][COLOR="#000080"]Sam Singer [/COLOR]will represent the USA at this summer's 20th World Maccabiah Games in Israel[/SIZE]

Shocky1
one of the motivations for the creation of the monster (other than taking over the recruiting & player development functions for the cal basketball program along with reducing it's global carbon footprint) was to provide accurate info re: the inner workings & not the outdated non insightful **** "reported" by the mainstream media (wilner & the chronicle) & the fan sites (not talking about ryan gorcey who does an excellent job interviewing prospects for gpas & what makes them tick)

so now ben the lead reporter of the leper island site is advising that jacob orender might be in line for a scholly & that he's checking with his "sources" (his buddy in the tix office & the monster)...he also advises with fake news that the staff is looking to add 1 or 2 more walk ons which is 100% inaccurate (the athletic department is trying to reduce men's roster sizes for the upcoming roster/program budgetary cuts)

ben, here's a depth chart/breakdown of the walk ons based upon my observations & conversations at a closed practice last month:

*****cole welle, with 2 open scholly openings right now, there's a strong probability that the cole will earn a well deserved scholly for his sr season, needs to work on his lower body strength in order to not get pushed off the blocks...looks good finishing around the basket

*****nick hamilton, the smartest bear of them all just gotta keep on working on his crooked azz perimeter shooting, lil yachty defends at a pac 12 level...500+ practices every day, no days offs, is the solution

***** koko kurdoghlian, dude can flat out shoot the ball, koko never misses during warm ups/practices...needs to build up his body

*****derek king, told me he's gonna return for another season (late last season he told me it was time to graduate & move on)

*****jacob orender, plays hard with a high motor but lacks size & skills to become a contributor right now

yeah the monster is gonna continue to advocate for playing time his guys, them walk ons who suffer under the tyranny of coach wyking

the saddest show on earth (cal's walk ons)#:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
SRBear
Face it, reality of the day.
FrankBear21
Knell gone. States that Shocky's behavior deterred him from becoming a Bear.
Shocky1
FrankBear21;842841609 said:

Knell gone. States that Shocky's behavior deterred him from becoming a Bear.

agreed my failure to watch trevin play in person in any of his aau or high school games is coming back to haunt us

his gf berklee heading to utah as an incoming freshman & byu showing more interest also weighed into this decision for the 4.0 gpa true student athlete
dal9
ccajon;842841576 said:

Call them what you will. Both are winners. Cal will be buried in the depths of the conference for years to come. The blue chippers don't want to play at cal, for wj, or in Haas. You're just a white noise fan on a twenty loss team.

with fans like these...

seriously, how sad are some of your lives that as cal fans you regularly troll a pro-cal thread? s#!t, my life isn't even that great, and I've never gotten the urge...
Big C
dal9;842841640 said:

with fans like these...

seriously, how sad are some of your lives that as cal fans you regularly troll a pro-cal thread? s#!t, my life isn't even that great, and I've never gotten the urge...

well-stated
socaltownie
dal9;842841640 said:

with fans like these...

Well.......

I think some of us remain fairly frustrated that Cal won't do "what it takes" to compete in the Pac-12 and yet still wants to BE in the Pac-12 (and is exceedingly happy to take our money).

Here is a fairly straight forward comparison. Cal is willing, indeed, does, do what it takes to remain a top 10 institution. In the modern world that means investing in labs, paying market rate for publishiing faculty, funding graduate student slots, etc. etc. Indeed, you could argue that the university's current challenges stem from the fact that it is willing to do that BROADLY as opposed to, for example, a school like UCSD that long ago decided that while it would play in all fields it wouldn't REALLY go all in - especially in the humanities - and would place its bets in the life sciences and applied physical ones (aka engineering disciplines).

But it won't show the same commitment in sports.

Now this isnt' a call for admitting "dumb azzezs" but it IS a call for at least a VERy hard look at our AD office and the hiring decisions. Programs that want to win find a way, somehow, to get Chris Peterson. Programs that don't hire first year coaches with no HC experience. It really ins't ANY more complicated than that.

PS. One of my abiding criticisms is the low expectations of Cal fans. They way "well Chris Peterson would never come to Cal because X." They never would say that about a top 10 academic publishing researcher even though SOME of the same constraints (high housing costs, admin that is disfunctional) exist.
Shocky1
trevin knell will be visiting byu this weekend, expect a new commitment in the near future before he leaves for his mission in early july to uruguay
Jeff82
socaltownie;842841705 said:

Well.......

I think some of us remain fairly frustrated that Cal won't do "what it takes" to compete in the Pac-12 and yet still wants to BE in the Pac-12 (and is exceedingly happy to take our money).

Here is a fairly straight forward comparison. Cal is willing, indeed, does, do what it takes to remain a top 10 institution. In the modern world that means investing in labs, paying market rate for publishiing faculty, funding graduate student slots, etc. etc. Indeed, you could argue that the university's current challenges stem from the fact that it is willing to do that BROADLY as opposed to, for example, a school like UCSD that long ago decided that while it would play in all fields it wouldn't REALLY go all in - especially in the humanities - and would place its bets in the life sciences and applied physical ones (aka engineering disciplines).

But it won't show the same commitment in sports.

Now this isnt' a call for admitting "dumb azzezs" but it IS a call for at least a VERy hard look at our AD office and the hiring decisions. Programs that want to win find a way, somehow, to get Chris Peterson. Programs that don't hire first year coaches with no HC experience. It really ins't ANY more complicated than that.

PS. One of my abiding criticisms is the low expectations of Cal fans. They way "well Chris Peterson would never come to Cal because X." They never would say that about a top 10 academic publishing researcher even though SOME of the same constraints (high housing costs, admin that is disfunctional) exist.

What if you told that researcher: "Because of our school's commitment to diversity, you have to accept graduate students whose ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds match the demographics of the State of California, regardless of their academic abilities." That's the rough equivalent of what the coaches face, when they're given an academic restriction that limits who they can recruit, based on a factor unrelated to the recruit's playing abilities. I'm not saying that should change, since athletics is not the primary mission of the school, but it is a restriction. What I'm saying is that a lot of the assumption in the fan base is that some of the constraints can simply be papered over by paying the coach more. I'm not sure that's the case, based on what happened this time with Randy Bennett. I'm not sure he would have come to Cal, even if we offered him pay that the board agreed was too much, because he doesn't think he can win here, based on the other constraints that are institutional, and can't really be avoided. I see Peterson the same way. What Cal would have to "find a way" to do, to use your phrase, is to change the culture of the campus in terms of academic-to-athletic relations. I can't see how that happens, particularly after your previous explanations that contributions from individual whales are not all that meaningful in terms of financing academic programs. If the athletic department and the associated boosters have no effective levers to get academic attitudes to change, then you can't expect them to change. And for a lot of coaches, I suspect, that's a deal breaker.
socaltownie
Jeff82;842841721 said:

What if you told that researcher: "Because of our school's commitment to diversity, you have to accept graduate students whose ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds match the demographics of the State of California, regardless of their academic abilities." That's the rough equivalent of what the coaches face, when they're given an academic restriction that limits who they can recruit, based on a factor unrelated to the recruit's playing abilities. I'm not saying that should change, since athletics is not the primary mission of the school, but it is a restriction. What I'm saying is that a lot of the assumption in the fan base is that some of the constraints can simply be papered over by paying the coach more. I'm not sure that's the case, based on what happened this time with Randy Bennett. I'm not sure he would have come to Cal, even if we offered him pay that the board agreed was too much, because he doesn't think he can win here, based on the other constraints that are institutional, and can't really be avoided. I see Peterson the same way. What Cal would have to "find a way" to do, to use your phrase, is to change the culture of the campus in terms of academic-to-athletic relations. I can't see how that happens, particularly after your previous explanations that contributions from individual whales are not all that meaningful in terms of financing academic programs. If the athletic department and the associated boosters have no effective levers to get academic attitudes to change, then you can't expect them to change. And for a lot of coaches, I suspect, that's a deal breaker.

What the school does when faced with the need to overcome the challenges that a faculty member might face (new department, scandal, lack of reputation to help with grant winning) is....shockingly....pay more money. It works. Look at UT who has done great things in building reputation over the past 2 decades by throwing money at a ridiculous rate (and poaching several good UC faculty).

Again. That is the issue. Would Bennet come for 1.5? No. He might come at 4. Now I wouldn't have paid four for Bennet. But I WOULD have paid 4-5-6 for James Franklin - who would have been a solid for our program....a lot more than Sonny the idiot.

Now one MIGHT get lucky. This is bluntly the problem with the Tedford legacy. Because it has convinced the powers that be that hiring youth can work.

But here is the thing. They don't do it ANYWHERE else. You want to get to be an off scale salaried full? Guess what. You don't get there by being a newly minted PhD - no mater how good you might look - straight out of Harvard.
Jeff82
OK. At least I understand your thesis, which is that coaches and professors operate under the Churchill principal. ("Madam, we've already established what you are, now we're only haggling over price.") You also didn't really answer my question about how restrictions on who coaches can recruit might play into their willingness to coach at Cal, regardless of salary. Here's a question. Who do you think, in football and basketball, is another can't miss choice equivalent to Franklin? It has to be a can't miss choice, because if you pay that much for a coach, you're either stuck with them, or the program might never recover from the cost of the buyout.
socaltownie
Jeff82;842841726 said:

OK. At least I understand your thesis, which is that coaches and professors operate under the Churchill principal. ("Madam, we've already established what you are, now we're only haggling over price.") You also didn't really answer my question about how restrictions on who coaches can recruit might play into their willingness to coach at Cal, regardless of salary. Here's a question. Who do you think, in football and basketball, is another can't miss choice equivalent to Franklin? It has to be a can't miss choice, because if you pay that much for a coach, you're either stuck with them, or the program might never recover from the cost of the buyout.

First I reject the premise of "can't never recover" but a quibble.

Second. My BIAS is that a good AA coach with a proven track record can actually do VERY well at Cal. So, for example, I think a guy like Shaka Smart would have rocked Cal. It is why I believed, STRONGLY that the deal maker if he had turned out to be sincere would have killed it over the long term. My HOPE is that WJ turns out to be that guy. However, next year is going to be pretty hard to watch and I worry that sets us WAY back for 2018 and beyond.
UrsaMajor
Not sure about your last paragraph, SCT, but in academics, most of the new hires are newly-minted PhD's. In general we don't poach from other schools (can't afford it). We WILL pay to RETAIN top faculty (e.g., one of my closest friends), but for the most part, we do what IA did with Wyking--hire promising newcomers and hope they pan out. Of course, in academics it is easier to predict someone's career trajectory based on publication record as a grad student or young asst. prof.
Jeff82
socaltownie;842841730 said:

First I reject the premise of "can't never recover" but a quibble.

Second. My BIAS is that a good AA coach with a proven track record can actually do VERY well at Cal. So, for example, I think a guy like Shaka Smart would have rocked Cal. It is why I believed, STRONGLY that the deal maker if he had turned out to be sincere would have killed it over the long term. My HOPE is that WJ turns out to be that guy. However, next year is going to be pretty hard to watch and I worry that sets us WAY back for 2018 and beyond.

Except that your thesis, that money trumps it all, renders sincerity, or lack thereof, a non-factor. We basically have to pay the coach a premium for the other stuff he has to put up with at Cal, since we seemingly can't get rid of the other stuff and make it a more pleasant place to coach. Therefore, if Martin gets $3 million at Missouri, we probably have to pay $4 million to get him to stay here.

That, by the way, is exactly why I think we should have figured out a way to give Tedford a one-year sabbatical, then have him come back and try and resume his mojo. In the long run, that would have been a better option, based on his track record at Cal in toto, than the last three years, which have ended up being a giant step sideways.
socaltownie
UrsaMajor;842841737 said:

Not sure about your last paragraph, SCT, but in academics, most of the new hires are newly-minted PhD's. In general we don't poach from other schools (can't afford it). We WILL pay to RETAIN top faculty (e.g., one of my closest friends), but for the most part, we do what IA did with Wyking--hire promising newcomers and hope they pan out. Of course, in academics it is easier to predict someone's career trajectory based on publication record as a grad student or young asst. prof.

When Cal was building departments it most definately did poach. Many of the younger campuses currently do.
socaltownie
Jeff82;842841743 said:

Except that your thesis, that money trumps it all, renders sincerity, or lack thereof, a non-factor. We basically have to pay the coach a premium for the other stuff he has to put up with at Cal, since we seemingly can't get rid of the other stuff and make it a more pleasant place to coach. Therefore, if Martin gets $3 million at Missouri, we probably have to pay $4 million to get him to stay here.

That, by the way, is exactly why I think we should have figured out a way to give Tedford a one-year sabbatical, then have him come back and try and resume his mojo. In the long run, that would have been a better option, based on his track record at Cal in toto, than the last three years, which have ended up being a giant step sideways.

My problem witih the deal maker is that he said all the things to suggest that Cal was getting a Cal discount. But water under bridge

I TOTALLY agree about Jeff T. It was clear he was tremendously burned out and in bad health. The Tedford Poncho was no joke. It would have been dramatic and unique but it would have tremendously helped the program. Only Sandy and Jeff know it that was even on the table. It should have been.
Jeff82
I think going forward you have to assume that there is no such thing as a Cal discount. Once burned, twice shy.
Shocky1
the associate athletic director of development jeremy wang gave notice today, he's heading back east to temple

the killer whales are circling mike williams, his consistent failures to communicate with donors has resulted in a significant negative impact to the department's bottom line...pretty hard to fundraise in that environment

it doesn't have to be this way#
caltagjohnson
Bennett makes $575,000 at St Marys. If he had come to Cal he would have doubled his salary. You people don't seem to realize that Cal is an Ultra left wing school that bans freedom of speech and encourages violence against people who don't agree with you. You want your kid educated in that atmosphere? I am a Cal graduate (1959 - NCAA BB champion) and my oldest son is also a Cal graduate. Both Chem Engineers. I now have grandkids in college. Did I encourage them to consider Cal? Yoiu better believe I did Not! They are at Univ of Utah, thank you. Much better school. Cal is lucky to get the recruits that it does. If you think they are going to relax regulations to get better FB and BB players you need to go back to smoking something that gives you a high!
NYCGOBEARS
caltagjohnson;842841768 said:

Bennett makes $575,000 at St Marys. If he had come to Cal he would have doubled his salary. You people don't seem to realize that Cal is an Ultra left wing school that bans freedom of speech and encourages violence against people who don't agree with you. You want your kid educated in that atmosphere? I am a Cal graduate (1959 - NCAA BB champion) and my oldest son is also a Cal graduate. Both Chem Engineers. I now have grandkids in college. Did I encourage them to consider Cal? Yoiu better believe I did Not! They are at Univ of Utah, thank you. Much better school. Cal is lucky to get the recruits that it does. If you think they are going to relax regulations to get better FB and BB players you need to go back to smoking something that gives you a high!

The self loathing that is exhibited by many Cal fans/alums never fails to astound me.
Vineyardview
It is not "Self loathing" it is loathing what Cal has chosen to become
First Page Last Page
Page 151 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.