cal's monster class deux

1,376,152 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
caltagjohnson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The UC I graduated from is NOTHING like the UC that exista today, Do you think recruits are impressed by all the guys sleeping in doorways ? Or the destruction of private property or the assaults. Frankly I am happy and surprised that we get the recruits we do.
NYCGOBEARS
caltagjohnson;842841780 said:

The UC I graduated from is NOTHING like the UC that exista today, Do you think recruits are impressed by all the guys sleeping in doorways ? Or the destruction of private property or the assaults. Frankly I am happy and surprised that we get the recruits we do.

You're sure not helping what is purportedly the primary purpose of this thread, the recruitment of future Cal student athletes. And no, it is not the UC of your day. The world is a completely different place. For that, I'm glad.
socaliganbear
My guess is many, a large percentage, don't care. At least that's what the (very) recent cal football alumni member of my family says. Job prospects otoh, that's a hot topic.
NYCGOBEARS
Vineyardview;842841779 said:

It is not "Self loathing" it is loathing what Cal has chosen to become

That is ludicrous.
socaltownie
NYCGOBEARS;842841783 said:

You're sure not helping what is purportedly the primary purpose of this thread, the recruitment of future Cal student athletes. And no, it is not the UC of your day. The world is a completely different place. For that, I'm glad.

+1. It simply shows that someone skipped the 60s to believe that U of Utah is somehow better than Cal and the key comparison is that SLC is "cleaner" than Berkeley. No **** sherlock. The state also gave us Orin Hatch. They have a lot of making up to do.
GB54
The Donnie and Marie Christmas Special is killing us with elite African American athletes
Shocky1
GB54;842841793 said:

The Donnie and Marie Christmas Special is killing us with elite African American athletes

we will survive (marie's hair extensions)#
HoopDreams
NBA Rookie Jaylen Brown and the Boston Celtics ended their season tonight in the Eastern Conference Finals.
The Celtics over achieved this year.

... and Jaylen Brown grew up in the playoffs, demonstrating his athleticism, defense, and potential.

Genius Coach Stevens put Jaylen in the game when he needed an elite athlete, and someone who can defend multiple positions, something he learned while at Cal. Those games when Jaylen had to defend a 6-9 PF paid dividends in getting him drafted #3, and have earned him minutes in the playoffs.

... and now he's got the offseason to improve his shooting ...

Even Lebron James gave Jaylen respect earlier in the season, and I'm pretty sure this play impressed James too ...

[SIZE=5][/SIZE]

mikecohen
caltagjohnson;842841780 said:

The UC you graduated from featured the students who got flushed down the steps of San Francisco City Hall by the San Francisco Fire Department because they were protesting against HUAC when nobody else would; and they were preceded by the Communists and Fellow Travelers who developed the Atomic Bomb and established the Exploratorium and the Lawrence Labs, among other things. In fact, the place was established by the 19th and early 20th Century Republicans who believed in equality of opportunity which could be provided by public education - Republicans who have no resemblance to the party of immoral monsters who are now trying to run the country into the ground.
dal9
socaltownie;842841789 said:

+1. It simply shows that someone skipped the 60s to believe that U of Utah is somehow better than Cal and the key comparison is that SLC is "cleaner" than Berkeley. No **** sherlock. The state also gave us Orin Hatch. They have a lot of making up to do.

Some of these new clowns coming out of Utah make Orrin Hatch look like Pete Seeger
bearmanpg
caltagjohnson;842841768 said:

Bennett makes $575,000 at St Marys. If he had come to Cal he would have doubled his salary. You people don't seem to realize that Cal is an Ultra left wing school that bans freedom of speech and encourages violence against people who don't agree with you. You want your kid educated in that atmosphere? I am a Cal graduate (1959 - NCAA BB champion) and my oldest son is also a Cal graduate. Both Chem Engineers. I now have grandkids in college. Did I encourage them to consider Cal? Yoiu better believe I did Not! They are at Univ of Utah, thank you. Much better school. Cal is lucky to get the recruits that it does. If you think they are going to relax regulations to get better FB and BB players you need to go back to smoking something that gives you a high!

In Knell's circumstance, what caltag is saying may have played a role in him decommitting....from Utah, the view you get of Berkeley is not the view the majority here get....as a devout Mormon, he and his family may not have wanted to be in this situation....
NVBear78
Vineyardview;842841779 said:

It is not "Self loathing" it is loathing what Cal has chosen to become

Sad to say there is much truth in this...
UrsaMajor
socaltownie;842841753 said:

My problem witih the deal maker is that he said all the things to suggest that Cal was getting a Cal discount. But water under bridge

I TOTALLY agree about Jeff T. It was clear he was tremendously burned out and in bad health. The Tedford Poncho was no joke. It would have been dramatic and unique but it would have tremendously helped the program. Only Sandy and Jeff know it that was even on the table. It should have been.

As you say, SCT, water under the bridge. In retrospect, I'm not sure CM ever intended to stay at Cal. We were a soft landing after he left Tenn, but I think he always felt his future lay in the Midwest. Whether or not he'd have been successful in the long run is not something we can ever know.

As for the "poaching" issue: you say when Cal was building academics we did poach, but that was a different time and a different environment. The state supported the university, faculty salaries were lower (even in constant dollars) and the Bay Area wasn't so out of control price-wise. My undergrad mentor, a tenured prof made $11K/year. His position now is more like $140-150. Going after a top coach in the 60's or 70's (although we generally didn't then) didn't mean 4-7 million a year (or it's equivalent).
Big C
bearmanpg;842841812 said:

In Knell's circumstance, what caltag is saying may have played a role in him decommitting....from Utah, the view you get of Berkeley is not the view the majority here get....as a devout Mormon, he and his family may not have wanted to be in this situation....

You mean, so, he visits here, commits, stays committed for months and months and then all of a sudden says, "Wait, there are hippies in Berkeley?!? Forget it!"

Does not compute. Unless maybe he always had a thing for Ann Coulter.
Big C
caltagjohnson;842841768 said:

Bennett makes $575,000 at St Marys. If he had come to Cal he would have doubled his salary. You people don't seem to realize that Cal is an Ultra left wing school that bans freedom of speech and encourages violence against people who don't agree with you. You want your kid educated in that atmosphere? I am a Cal graduate (1959 - NCAA BB champion) and my oldest son is also a Cal graduate. Both Chem Engineers. I now have grandkids in college. Did I encourage them to consider Cal? Yoiu better believe I did Not! They are at Univ of Utah, thank you. Much better school. Cal is lucky to get the recruits that it does. If you think they are going to relax regulations to get better FB and BB players you need to go back to smoking something that gives you a high!

Gotta ask: Why are you still a Cal fan?

Goodness gracious, if, some years down the road, my kids have the grades to get into Cal, I will be ALL OVER THEM to go. All my Cal friends, their dream was/is to have their kids follow in their footsteps at Cal, but few can get in. My next-door-neighbor (Old Blue), his oldest just finished his freshman year at Cal. When he got accepted, the family was ECSTATIC. The dad told me and we were practically crying tears of joy. It's the effing number one public university in the whole damn world, man, and the degree and the experience have probably never been worth more and you're complaining about some leftist/politically correct vein that runs through the faculty and the city of Berkeley? Miles Yiannopolis (or whatever his name was) didn't get to speak here and stuff like that is a "thing" for you?!? That is some MINOR SH!T compared to all the good things that the University of California has to offer.

Seriously, WTF? If, in ten years, my son has a 4.3 and gets accepted to Cal and I tell him, no, you should go to effing Utah (Utah?!?), please, somebody shoot me, because I will already be brain dead anyway.
Polodad
Big C_Cal;842841822 said:

Goodness gracious, if, some years down the road, my kids have the grades to get into Cal, I will be ALL OVER THEM to go. All my Cal friends, their dream was/is to have their kids follow in their footsteps at Cal, but few can get in. My next-door-neighbor (Old Blue), his oldest just finished his freshman year at Cal. When he got accepted, the family was ECSTATIC. The dad told me and we were practically crying tears of joy. It's the effing number one public university in the whole damn world, man, and the degree and the experience have probably never been worth more and you're complaining about some leftist/politically correct vein that runs through the faculty and the city of Berkeley? Miles Yiannopolis (or whatever his name was) didn't get to speak here and stuff like that is a "thing" for you?!? That is some MINOR SH!T compared to all the good things that the University of California has to offer.

Seriously, WTF? If, in ten years, my son has a 4.3 and gets accepted to Cal and I tell him, no, you should go to effing Utah (Utah?!?), please, somebody shoot me, because I will already be brain dead anyway.

+1. Focused on the grandkids now. Had great success getting 2 kids to follow Mom and Dad.
mikecohen
bearmanpg;842841812 said:

Is it even conceivable that he was, at any time at all, in the slightest unaware of the view of Berkeley from Utah (where he grew up) - especially since he visited here, I believe with his family. I mean, nobody from the University tries to hide any of that stuff that Berkeley is famous for around the world - nor could they even if they tried.
Shocky1
89Bear;842841412 said:

Any worthwhile courses in Vermont??? Vacation coming...

the only course in vermont that could even compete for us top 100 status is ekwknok, a delightful tightly routed walter travis understated gem (he also designed the iconic/fantastic garden city men's club) over rolling terrain in manchester, nothing like a walking fall game in new england

Shocky1
UrsaMajor;842841295 said:

I dunno, Shocky, you sound like Donald Trump more and more every post.

sorry ursa, you got my politics all wrong, not a fan of trump, dude punched me

Shocky1;842504273 said:

visited this morning the recently opened nicklaus design group ferry point golf course just outside of nyc with panoramic views of the manhattan skyline

arrive from my hotel by cab at the clubhouse around 7:30 am to stretch & warm up at the practice facility

upon arrival the head golf professional tells me that ferry point's developer donald trump heard that as a golf digest & golf magazine rankings panelist that i had an 8:10 tee time and would i like to play with the donald at 8:20 am instead?

so i say sure, no big deal, let's do this

so we make the introductions on the practice green & the 1st thing i notice is that trump has the weirdest color hair ever (kinda yellow orange) & that he has total man boobs along with an oversized obnoxious red cap

i walk & carry my lightweight leather mackzenie bag while the donald drives a golf cart literally to within 6 inches of every green...just as annoyingly, we then proceed to play thru every group on the golf course in front of us (why does he do this, why not just take the 1st tee time?)...it's funny to watch people's reactions as he dictates the playing thru, some golfers are understandably agitated while others want a selfie with him on their phones, he very clearly enjoys all the drama he's created

so he tells us while we wait for the short par 4 8th green to clear that he thinks ferry point is one of the greatest golf courses in the united states (it isn't, there are at least a dozen courses on long island & the hamptons that are significantly better) & that he's qualified to make that statement because of his extensive travels around the globe playing golf, that nobody knows golf architecture better than him & that includes actual golf architects

so in front of his 2 buddies & his cart caddie i tell the donald that actually i'm one of the 13 guys (and the youngest) to have played the world top 100 courses & stare him down...total silence, one of his buddies who is the chairman of macys starts to laugh & donald play punches my shoulder kinda hard, he's been clown punked...whatever

dude is an interesting guy but playing golf with him is not really a celebration of the game but more like riding a roller coaster

you're fired, shocky#
UrsaMajor
Why in hell didn't you punch the fucker back??? And not in the shoulder...
89Bear

:bravo
HoopDreams

OdontoBear66

How did he get in with a 4.3....Test scores? Something else?
BearlyCareAnymore

That Aesop was a smart guy.

When these people, as is often the case, mention their relatives going to schools that, let's just be nice here, are a few spots below Cal in the rankings, you have to wonder what was wrong with all the options in between and wonder if the primary problem lies in the admissions department.

Cal is now what it has always been. If people are easily conned by a conservative campaign, so be it. Cal can definitely improve some things, but that was true 30 years ago when I started. The primary issue is that colleges across the board have gotten more selective and grapes you can't reach become a lot more sour.

Statistics do not bear out that Cal is less attractive to students. Anecdotally, my kids and the kids of friends and relatives are hitting high school and college age and I can tell you that Cali kids still want to go to Cal like they did in my day. In fact, I actually don't know anyone who actually got into Cal that didn't go to Cal.
socaliganbear
Cal is one of the top 3 most applied to schools in the country. Attracting kids is not a problem.
TheSouseFamily
socaliganbear;842841849 said:

Cal is one of the top 3 most applied to schools in the country. Attracting kids is not a problem.

We're actually second behind Ucla. Interesting that 8 of the top 10 most applied to schools are in CA with the UCs occupying the first 6 spots.
bearmanpg
Big C_Cal;842841820 said:

You mean, so, he visits here, commits, stays committed for months and months and then all of a sudden says, "Wait, there are hippies in Berkeley?!? Forget it!"

Does not compute. Unless maybe he always had a thing for Ann Coulter.

What I am saying is, his family sees the media reports of morons with sticks breaking windows and starting fires to stop an invited speaker from speaking and decides that maybe, just maybe, BYU may be a better place for their pride and joy Mormon son to attend....I think that is what caltag was referring to....like it or not Big C, people from other locales think differently than you and I do....BTW, my son graduated from Cal....mechanical engineering...
socaltownie
UrsaMajor;842841818 said:

As you say, SCT, water under the bridge. In retrospect, I'm not sure CM ever intended to stay at Cal. We were a soft landing after he left Tenn, but I think he always felt his future lay in the Midwest. Whether or not he'd have been successful in the long run is not something we can ever know.

As for the "poaching" issue: you say when Cal was building academics we did poach, but that was a different time and a different environment. The state supported the university, faculty salaries were lower (even in constant dollars) and the Bay Area wasn't so out of control price-wise. My undergrad mentor, a tenured prof made $11K/year. His position now is more like $140-150. Going after a top coach in the 60's or 70's (although we generally didn't then) didn't mean 4-7 million a year (or it's equivalent).

The point being that Cal doesn't NEED to poach in most disciplines. You do so, largely, when you are trying to build the academic rep. of a department and the way that rep in Higher Ed works is that it is VERY sticky on the way down. Takes decades (in part because you get to coast on early publication records of the grey hairs).

But if you consider our programs to be below par, the response in higher ed is not to take flyers. It is to throw money and hire the cream of the crop.
Shocky1
coach wyking & the staff have offered 2018 top 100 prospect 6'6" 205 lbs jacobi gordon of the global learning village & the chris walker academy in houston

the smooth wing got a strong handle for a player his size & can finish in transition & a half court offense with a strong motor, he's shooting a lethal 65%+ in aau ball this summer with a fundamentally clean stroke...gordon would be an impact signature recruit for cal's started at the bottom class (2018)

jacobi is not a dumb azz, he got a 3.7 gpa & is being recruited nationwide but more importantly he got good hair

the godron family is very close with chris walker (he built his aau team around jacobi) & intends to unofficially visit berkeley this summer & get to know better the rest of the coaches & staff

[video=youtube;EbNAjzKZmpM][/video]

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including houston):bravo
MoragaBear
Staff
OdontoBear66;842841847 said:

How did he get in with a 4.3....Test scores? Something else?

Despite the odd exceptions, most 4.3 students with a decent resume and coarse load will get into Cal unless they have lousy test scores.
Shocky1
as the billion dollar industry scouts/front office personnel prepare for the 2017 nba draft, teams are expending vast resources trying to better understand what makes guys tick, they are learning that young ivee is a special person that will represent their organization without any drama

Shocky1;842644351 said:

ivan, this video tells the story of who you really are at your core, it's why i respect you for reasons that extend far beyond anything you've ever done or will do in the future with a basketball on a basketball court

notice how you miss the celebratory arm swing five with the young fan in the gold pants & blue shirt but then you have the thoughtfulness to go back & connect/share the love with the little guy after winning the california state championship game at haas pavilion with an ice in your veins free throw vs mater dei

honestly that's all the **** i need to know about you...community leader lou richie told me he thinks you will continue to make a difference in the lives of the youth of oakland, that you will serve as a role model to them

too bad your dumb azz teammates don't ever wanna pass you the ball (unless you're standing at the top of the key with your back to the basket), i feel your pain...wouldn't it be a magnificent b-day present if they relentlessly fed you down low in the post vs stanford?...but no worries, we're gonna figure this out together, see you at the haas saturday my friend

[video=youtube;6_MaZApdKbo][/video]

magnificent#
Shocky1
UrsaMajor;842841834 said:

Why in hell didn't you punch the fucker back??? And not in the shoulder...

porque no soy una persona enojada, seor ursa

caltagjohnson
I am a conservative Independent. I total oppose the ultra left wing atmosphere at Berkeley. Nobody can claim that it does not exist. I have been to Utah many times. It is a really nice campus. No violent demonstrations. They know what the Fourth Amendment is. Ask Jayce Johnson who picked it over Cal. It is laughable some thought that Kristowiak would come to Cal. AND students turn out for the Utes games. Cal has one of the most apathetic student bodies going. My granddaughter is an A student in Physicis. The best feature of all: great skiing a short distance. away.
oskidunker
caltagjohnson;842841983 said:

I am a conservative Independent. I total oppose the ultra left wing atmosphere at Berkeley. Nobody can claim that it does not exist. I have been to Utah many times. It is a really nice campus. No violent demonstrations. They know what the Fourth Amendment is. Ask Jayce Johnson who picked it over Cal. It is laughable some thought that Kristowiak would come to Cal. AND students turn out for the Utes games. Cal has one of the most apathetic student bodies going. My granddaughter is an A student in Physicis. The best feature of all: great skiing a short distance. away.

Absolutely true. There is no free speech.
Shocky1
bob, with all due respect, utah is a **** school academically in a homogeneous environment that excludes diversity & intellectual curiosity...your granddaughter's ability to get minted after college is gonna be appreciably more challenging than berkeley grads, that's just the way of the world

i sat next to dr danger directly behind the cal bench at the game on their campus this season & we both were kinda stunned how the adjacent student body was 100% white, not a single dark skinned person, we thought we were at a ku klux klan rally or something

and trust me, rich people traveling to the montage at deer valley aren't stopping in salt lake city
First Page Last Page
Page 152 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.