cal's monster class deux

1,376,178 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
Bobodeluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a sore right knee.
Shocky1
in one of my many conversations with the guys, taylor & me asked them what's the worst road stop in the pac 12, they all laughed & said utah
socaliganbear
Really simple, students show up to winning teams.
Shocky1
Bobodeluxe;842841991 said:

I have a sore right knee.

i dunno have you considered not kicking the homeless out of your way to your morning coffee at peets?

trust me, bob got a strong pimp boot at blackhawk

[video=youtube;dmHcDWrMH-8][/video]

the university of california, berkeley=the epicenter of the civil rights & free speech movement in the never ending quest to protect the most vulnerable & marginalized in society (will you meet me at the barricade?)
parentswerebears
socaliganbear;842841995 said:

This. Right here.
Shocky1
socaliganbear;842841995 said:

not that simple, student tixs also need to be free & that's a relentless conversation i'm having with cal's athletic administration and yeah this is getting closer to resolution for hopefully both basketball & football

the next generation of season tix buyers & donors need to be cultivated now, students from humble finances can't afford the extra couple bucks for entry to haas on gameday

open door policy as haas (clothes are for losers)#:bluecarrot:
NYCGOBEARS
Shocky1;842842003 said:

not that simple, student tixs also need to be free & that's a relentless conversation i'm having with cal's athletic administration and yeah this is getting closer to resolution for hopefully both basketball & football

the next generation of season tix buyers & donors need to be cultivated now, students from humble finances can't afford the extra couple bucks for entry to haas on gameday

open door policy as haas (clothes are for losers)#:bluecarrot:

Absolutely correct. It's the easiest investment the university can make.
BearlyCareAnymore
caltagjohnson;842841983 said:

I am a conservative Independent. I total oppose the ultra left wing atmosphere at Berkeley. Nobody can claim that it does not exist. I have been to Utah many times. It is a really nice campus. No violent demonstrations. They know what the Fourth Amendment is. Ask Jayce Johnson who picked it over Cal. It is laughable some thought that Kristowiak would come to Cal. AND students turn out for the Utes games. Cal has one of the most apathetic student bodies going. My granddaughter is an A student in Physicis. The best feature of all: great skiing a short distance. away.

I have gone literally years without personally hearing someone direct a racial slur at somebody. I lived in the Bay Area all of that time and travelled extensively. It took 3 days in Utah to change that. There are a lot of great things and places in Utah. There are also good reasons it's not for everybody. My kids are biracial and there is no way in hell they would remotely consider Utah.

If Utah floats your boat and your granddaughter likes it, great for you. Comparative housing prices between the Bay Area and Salt Lake, as well as the number of applications to Cal and UU very clearly demonstrates the what place/school is more desirable to more people.

You can acknowledge that Cal is no longer for you without trashing the place. It is no more Cal's job to change to suit you than it is Utah's job to change to suit me.
Shocky1
NYCGOBEARS;842842005 said:

Absolutely correct. It's the easiest investment the university can make.

agreed, the bureaucratic resistance to free student tixs for basketball & football is the outdated old school of thinking that if you don't pay anything for something you won't appreciate it by those not fully understanding that with dramatically rising tuition costs in california that there are many students with unprecedented crushing student loans debt that can't justify spending even a few bucks to cheer on their fellow students on gamedays in berkeley

it's a economically damaging situation when you don't understand the realities of the students (the pipeline of the future) & have also alienated the season tixs holders, donors & killer whales while insulating yourself from honest feedback by failing to communicate with those reaching out to you

we're working for the day that enrolling at the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world includes the free opportunity to share/celebrate in the magic of cal basketball & football on gamedays

we are all ******* black beetles#:rollinglaugh::wave:wave:wave:wave:wave:wave:wave:wave
caltagjohnson
What are you talking about? Racial slur? Are left wing activists now a protected class? Neither Utah nor Cal will change. I have to accept them for what they are. If you are using BAY Area housing prices as a barometer of living desireability you got me there. For the price of a 2,000 sq ft fixer upper in Menlo Park I can have a mansion in SLC with enough money left for a ski in-ski out condo right on the ski slope.
concernedparent
caltagjohnson;842842082 said:

What are you talking about? Racial slur? Are left wing activists now a protected class? Neither Utah nor Cal will change. I have to accept them for what they are. If you are using BAY Area housing prices as a barometer of living desireability you got me there. For the price of a 2,000 sq ft fixer upper in Menlo Park I can have a mansion in SLC with enough money left for a ski in-ski out condo right on the ski slope.

Didn't realize loss of reading comprehension was a side effect of leaving California.
Bobodeluxe
My right knee is still sore.

Now, back to Monsters II!
Shocky1

1st day of summer (36 holes & a swim)#:woohoo
Shocky1

young ivee got a private workout with the magic heat, pat riley got the #14 selection in the 2017 nba draft

we're all ******* black beetles (all 3 of us are mutts of mixed descent, brothers from different mothers)#:bluecarrot::bluecarrot::bluecarrot:

Shocky1;842794808 said:

can you name the right california golden bear?

*****one of the these bears teaches a yoga class even tho they don't know **** about yoga, he's coached up a state of california championship team
*****one of these bears loves his moms mac & cheese, he made an epic an ice in his veins moneyball free throw to win a state championship after airballing the 1st one
*****one of these bears played the world top 100 golf courses starting as a caddie back in the day, he calls anybody who disagrees with him a dumb azz

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including uranus):buttkick:
HoopDreams
Who is the most feared shot blocker in the Pac12?

Who holds the record for the Cal single season shot blocks?

Who is now the 3rd Cal career shot blocker, and on pace to shatter the Cal career shot blocking record?

Who was the best big man passer on the team?

Who is developing his offensive game, with a decisive spin move, and hook shot, and getting stronger each year?

Who earned a spot on the Pac-12 All-Defensive team?

HoopDreams

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]NFL.com names the Fastest players in college football ...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5][COLOR="#000080"]Demetris Robertson, WR, Cal[/COLOR][/SIZE]

"At Nike's The Opening football camp in 2015, Robertson ran a 4.34 40-yard dash that helped make him a five-star recruit. Along with being one of the Pac-12's most dynamic young receivers, he's also joined the Cal track squad, posted a 10.77 time in the 100-meter dash in April and competes on the Bears' 4x100 relay team as well. Last fall, his 50 catches and 767 yards broke Cal records held by NFL standouts Keenan Allen and DeSean Jackson, respectively."

BearlyCareAnymore
concernedparent;842842086 said:

Didn't realize loss of reading comprehension was a side effect of leaving California.

That was about the worst reading comp I've seen since it totally misconstrued the two points I made.

Dude (caltag) I didn't say you used a racial slur. I said I personally witnessed a racial slur within the first 3 days I spent in Utah.

And yes I get that you can buy a mansion in Utah for the same price as a small house in the Bay Area. That was the point. Basic Econ 101. Things that are desired by more people cost more. There isn't an elf in the sky that randomly assigns real estate prices. The Bay Area costs A LOT more because A LOT more people want live there.
south bender
HoopDreams;842842182 said:

Thanks for this news, HD. And good luck to Jabari!
caltagjohnson
OK I misunderstood your comment. A racist is the last thing I am. The ridiculous real estate prices in the Bay area is also influenced by Silicon Valley jobs and a lack of houses. Hiring more people when there is no place for them to live is not sustainable long term.
Shocky1
i can vouch for caltagjohnson, bob is a good guy (he is not a racist) that represents on gamedays at haas, he just likes utah more than some of us
Big C
Shocky1;842842198 said:

i can vouch for caltagjohnson, bob is a good guy (he is not a racist) that represents on gamedays at haas, he just likes utah more than some of us

This is the part I didn't get. If he speaks negatively of the University and urges his progeny to go elsewhere (even "lesser" schools that have a political/cultural vibe he prefers), why is he still a loyal Cal Basketball fan?
Big C
OaktownBear;842841848 said:

That Aesop was a smart guy.

When these people, as is often the case, mention their relatives going to schools that, let's just be nice here, are a few spots below Cal in the rankings, you have to wonder what was wrong with all the options in between and wonder if the primary problem lies in the admissions department.

Cal is now what it has always been. If people are easily conned by a conservative campaign, so be it. Cal can definitely improve some things, but that was true 30 years ago when I started. The primary issue is that colleges across the board have gotten more selective and grapes you can't reach become a lot more sour.

Statistics do not bear out that Cal is less attractive to students. Anecdotally, my kids and the kids of friends and relatives are hitting high school and college age and I can tell you that Cali kids still want to go to Cal like they did in my day. In fact, B.

I've had five students (that I know of) get accepted to Cal and not go. One got into Harvard, okay fine. One was named a President's Scholar (or something like that) at USC, which meant a full ride+. Three chose UC Davis, mainly because they didn't like "Berkeley", so I can say that that phenomenon does exist. I thought those last three were making a mistake, but hey, to each his own and, as you alluded to, the next people on the acceptance list rejoiced at their good fortune.

Nobody I've ever known has turned down Cal to go to Utah (though I hear it is not uncommon for some to choose BYU).
Shocky1
Big C_Cal;842842204 said:

This is the part I didn't get. If he speaks negatively of the University and urges his progeny to go elsewhere (even "lesser" schools that have a political/cultural vibe he prefers), why is he still a loyal Cal Basketball fan?

in life i'm more interested in people's actions than their words, bob (who is old enough to be a king) attends almost every home game at haas on gamedays regardless of the starting times, bay area traffic, parking challenges in berkeley, the molten magma conditions of planet earth, etc. without excuses along with donating to the basketball program

he is not a ******* loser cal tv fan for whom watching the bears is some intellectual affectation with verbal dissection of the players & coaches, losers sits on the sidelines in life while others live their lives with purpose and intent (there is connectivity between their passions & their actions), yeah heavy is the head that wears the crown

Shocky1;842526783 said:

"heavy is the head that wears the crown"
-jaylen brown, noted philosopher

bluesaxe
Seems more likely to me that he's a Mormon kid who did not have an offer from BYU at the time, and now is likely to get one.

bearmanpg;842841812 said:

In Knell's circumstance, what caltag is saying may have played a role in him decommitting....from Utah, the view you get of Berkeley is not the view the majority here get....as a devout Mormon, he and his family may not have wanted to be in this situation....
bluesaxe
It's a LOT like the UC I graduated from 40 years ago, though the student demographics are somewhat different, the restaurants are way better and the brew pubs and beer gardens that exist now probably would have killed my chances of graduating. You keep associating recent violent behavior with the University when most of it has been caused by unrelated outside groups whose intent is to create havoc, not by student protestors. Bottom line, though, anyone who thinks Utah is a better school must value skiing over academics.

caltagjohnson;842841780 said:

The UC I graduated from is NOTHING like the UC that exista today, Do you think recruits are impressed by all the guys sleeping in doorways ? Or the destruction of private property or the assaults. Frankly I am happy and surprised that we get the recruits we do.
caltagjohnson
OK, I am 82 which is pretty old, even in this age. When I went to Cal, 1956-1959 Cal, was TOTALLY DIFFERENT. 16,000 students and conservative. Step too far out of line and they kicked you out. I am totally disappointed in the political atmosphere which pervades Cal. I don't want to be resposible for unleashing another liberal on society.

I have always been a Cal basketball fan and will remain so. I just renewed my Courtside seat. I will increase my donation to the Cal Excellence in Basketball fund. I am in the minority which thinks Cal will have a
decent team next year. It is also very young, but these are guys who will stick around. I also believe Jones will prove to be a very good coach. No sense arguing about that. Just wait and see what happens.
joe amos yaks
...more OT:

caltag_

I respect you're "old" and your opinions. You were on campus in 1956-59 (you were probably a student of the late Joel Hildebrand). It was shortly after the loyalty oath turmoil. You know what the atmosphere was like and how that played out. It was early in the Cold War and crazy Joe McCarthy was blowing smoke up your dress. There was plenty of dissent...and good reason for it.

:beer:
HoopDreams
caltagj

berkeley has changed. the world has changed.
some for good. some for bad.
no matter what age, there are things that we wish have remained the same.

there are always tradeoffs.
for me, I would rather live in today's world, then when prices were 15 cents for a burger

thanks for your big support of Cal basketball. See you on game day.

caltagjohnson;842842228 said:

OK, I am 82 which is pretty old, even in this age. When I went to Cal, 1956-1959 Cal, was TOTALLY DIFFERENT. 16,000 students and conservative. Step too far out of line and they kicked you out. I am totally disappointed in the political atmosphere which pervades Cal. I don't want to be resposible for unleashing another liberal on society.

I have always been a Cal basketball fan and will remain so. I just renewed my Courtside seat. I will increase my donation to the Cal Excellence in Basketball fund. I am in the minority which thinks Cal will have a
decent team next year. It is also very young, but these are guys who will stick around. I also believe Jones will prove to be a very good coach. No sense arguing about that. Just wait and see what happens.
caltagjohnson
I was a Chemical Engineer. Hildebrand wrote one of my text books. I wiil go to my grave having witnessed Cal winning the NCAA BB championship. That is something most of you can only dream about while pissing and moaning. We had no blogs then. We had no computers then. Not even a calculator. We had a student body which packed the gym for every single game. Standing room only. Now we have twice as many students and probably half as many attending games. Most don't give a s**t about Cal basketball. The faculty and administration don't give a s**t either, BTW I paid about $50 a semester for incidental fees. Gasoline was about 20 cents per gallon. I remember gettting pissed when it went to 25 cents.
GB54
We didn't have the jump shot, hadn't been invented yet-in fact, jumping hadn't been invented except for your urban types

You could buy wine for 50 cents from the Greek but he used to cut it with ouzo- the cheap bastar$.

We didnt watch cat videos, we had stag parties and panty raids where we stood outside of dorms yelling for girls to thrown down panties so we could hang them up in our room like trophies. We met our wives this way-no Facebook-much more romantic

Girls had bigger jugs then- better demographics

Don't ask me about the cars-American cars only! You bought a new one every year when they broke down
NYCGOBEARS
GB54;842842269 said:

We didn't have the jump shot, hadn't been invented yet-in fact, jumping hadn't been invented except for your urban types

You could buy wine for 50 cents from the Greek but he used to cut it with ouzo- the cheap bastar$.

We didnt watch cat videos, we had stag parties and panty raids where we stood outside of dorms yelling for girls to thrown down panties so we could hang them up in our room like trophies. We met our wives this way-no Facebook-much more romantic

Girls had bigger jugs then- better demographics

Don't ask me about the cars-American cars only! You bought a new one every year when they broke down

Lol @ cat videos.
stu
bluesaxe;842842222 said:

It's a LOT like the UC I graduated from 40 years ago

Back in my day (late '60s) the campus and city were in transition. I think the big change came after the voting age was lowered from 21 to 18 in the mid-'70s.

Quote:

You keep associating recent violent behavior with the University when most of it has been caused by unrelated outside groups whose intent is to create havoc, not by student protestors.

In my time the powers that be called them "outside agitators". I believe that was largely correct as I didn't know any students who actually participated in violence and almost none who even protested peacefully. Not that we weren't sympathetic, I also knew nobody who wanted to fight in Vietnam.
Big C
caltagjohnson;842842228 said:

I'm glad you're still a fan, caltagjohnson, and am happy that you support the program. People have their own opinions about the other stuff and I respect that. We need to keep the big tent.

Go Bears!
UrsaMajor
Cal was more than 2/3 male then. Of the 16,000 students, over 15,000 were white. Some people much prefer that; others not so much. Maybe you preferred that kind of "political atmosphere." On the other hand, the HUAC riots were only 1 year later, and they certainly weren't "conservative."
First Page Last Page
Page 153 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.