cal's monster class deux

1,376,073 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C_Cal;842850958 said:

Sure would be nice to be able to come up with an inside player for 2018 who arrives with some strength and experience. Grad transfer? JC guy? 20 yr old Euro?

none of the above#
Shocky1
mason's d1 recruitment continues to move forward on an upward trajectory with his 12th offer from the san diego aztecs but much more importantly he got great hair

true height unknown (6'8"?)#:headbang

Shocky1;842836887 said:

the new cal staff is keeping an eye on 6'7" 180 lbs wing mason forbes of folsom, his sister kenzie is a california golden bear commit for coach gottlieb, both are in the 2018 class

mason is flying under the radar right now but he got a 4.0 gpa but more importantly he got great (not good) hair...moms sasha can't ball at all but dad sterling toured with the harlem globetrotters for 10 years

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article56942893.html

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (and a short drive from folsom, stockton & roseville on game days)
OdontoBear66
Shocky1;842850961 said:

bob, if I had a 3.0 gpa i wouldn't go around bragging about it, it's not like you ever hiked grouse grind or something

Careful shocky. There are 3.0s (FB and BB players in HS with few AP courses), and then there are 3.0s (Chem E majors at Cal). There is also a question of when his 3.0 was achieved. Back in the 60s a 3.4 in pre-dental studies got me into UCSF as one of 75 out of about 1000 or so. Things were graded on a pretty strict curve in the days of yore.
NYCGOBEARS
OdontoBear66;842850976 said:

Careful shocky. There are 3.0s (FB and BB players in HS with few AP courses), and then there are 3.0s (Chem E majors at Cal). There is also a question of when his 3.0 was achieved. Back in the 60s a 3.4 in pre-dental studies got me into UCSF as one of 75 out of about 1000 or so. Things were graded on a pretty strict curve in the days of yore.

Yeah, and you walked 8 miles uphill, in the snow to get to school, and it was 10 miles uphill to get back home.
caltagjohnson
Shocky1;842850961 said:

bob, if I had a 3.0 gpa i wouldn't go around bragging about it, it's not like you ever hiked grouse grind or something

I'm not bragging. Just stating a fact. In 1960 CH E was clearly the most difficult major at Cal. Hands down. There were no girls and few Americans in the curriculum. Mostly foreign students. I was a straight A when I got my MBA. There were no online or watered down weekend programs at that time. Right now I am putting 13 grandchildren through college. I doubt you can match that accomplishment.
UrsaMajor
Yes, all those pesky girls do bring down the curve, don't they. A real drag that they're allowed into engineering now...
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5][COLOR="#0000CD"]Jenelle Jordan[/COLOR] made Team USA for the 2017 World University Games![/SIZE]

yeah, college basketball and football are king, but you're missing out if you don't go to some of the games/meets of some of the other Cal sports.

World class athletes.

stu
caltagjohnson;842850739 said:

The "climate science" is a hoax. It is a liberal distribution scheme which has nothing to do with the atmosphere. I looked at some of the published papers. I was a Chem E at Call. I would have been failed if I turned in that kind of "science".

At Cal I was a Physical Sciences field major, mostly physics and a long time ago, so I'm not qualified to judge climate research. But I think physics is inherently simpler (not easier, just more fundamental) than climate science, life sciences, and social sciences so I wouldn't expect papers in those fields to match the standards of papers in physics. However I work with people who have advanced degrees in fields closely related to climate and they all agree humans are causing a big problem. Not necessarily for someone my age in my location, I expect to see plenty more nice days. But I don't have to buy flood insurance for grandchildren in Florida.

Unfortunately I think the argument has become more economic and political than scientific as there's so much money to be made in fossil fuels. Probably more than in other politicized industries such as tobacco, drugs, pesticides, asbestos, lead, firearms, etc. This is America - to get the answer follow the money.
Shocky1

happy 4th of july from iceland#:patriot
Shocky1

doing the hang today at the blue lagoon, kinda thought it was gonna be an oversized tourist trap but it's actually got an intimate eco resort vibe

it's 50% outside but in the hot spring waters with steam rising from the surface it's 100+%

there's a plaque in the water showing the locations of the national geographic 25 wonders of the world (the redwoods muir woods in nor cal is one of the selections), kinda surprised that haas pavilion in berkeley california wasn't on the list

Shocky1;842849798 said:

souse, we watched land ho! & while it provided a lot of scenic points of interest of the nordic island nation, listening to 2 old white dudes talking & talking about nothing for 90 minutes was kinda painful

look i don't make movies (at least not commercial movies for public distribution) but i kinda think it would've been a better movie if the outdated (which is odd for a move released in 2014) music soundtrack was replaced & if the lead roles were played by 3 curvy brunette yoga females with flat stomachs or something

the blue lagoon (clothes are for losers)#:bluecarrot:
Shocky1

https://soundcloud.com/the-tribe-akashic/keep-me-company-feat-master-wendu-tae-haru

jaylen brown with 29 points including a positive trending 3 3 pointers along with 13 boards (and yeah 7 turnovers & no assists, some **** don't change that quickly) & a game winning shot block of markelle fultz around the rim to give the boston celtics an opening nba summer league game victory 89-88 vs the philadelphia 76ers

yeah & jb did all that **** with only 1 leg

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including boston):woohoo
Shocky1
the bird man played in his 1st professional game & knocked down a 3 pointer for the boston celtics, no worries jabari's gonna play more than 4 minutes in future nba summer league games

nobody gonna outwork the bird (empty gym grind is for winners)#:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe
Shocky1
deschon winston=the facilitator & distributor

a real crowd pleaser (release the cash)#:bravo
HoopDreams
[SIZE=4]Caitlin Bickle down to four[/SIZE]

assist from bobbk
Shocky1
right now diligently working on the confidential ballot from golf magazine for the 2017 world top 100 golf rankings which is the undisputed recognized ratings authority kinda like the scout top 100 basketball rankings for each class

the golf magazine top 100 rankings for both usa & world courses comes out every 2 years and there are around 100 panelists from around the globe including myself...but here's the deal a lot of the panelists like jack nicklaus, gary player & tom weiskopf (along with the late arnold palmer) aren't really exploring the planet to play new courses anymore which means my vote as someone who has played the world top 100 lists for the 2001-2015 editions really carries a lot of weight

there are 522 candidate courses this ballot (there are approximately 30,000 golf courses in the world) & my early thoughts as i carefully analyze each of these 522 courses (with the same thought & deliberation that i do in evaluating/recruiting true student athletes for the cal basketball program) my ballot for new design inclusions will include:

*****cape wickham (foto of the epic par 4 18th hole below, the tee shot attacks as much of the coastline fairway as possible with risk/reward implications before the 2nd shot is played into the natural green site perched hard by the water's edge): situated by the wickham lighthouse on the tip of a peninsula of king island australia (flight arrangements can be made from sydney/melbourne to king island), it is a walker's paradise with dazzling diamond gem holes set in a links environment with significant width to accommodate the howling oceanic winds

*****tara its (foto of shocky with the head pro & a couple of fellow kiwi architecture enthusiasts on the demanding par 4 6th hole, yeah it's tough to stay focused when your down under): tom doak's latest minimalist design is a hour north of auckland & celebrates the ground game with natural sandy blow out bunkers & devilish putting challenges...the fescue turf plays firm & fast thanks to the club's founder (billionaire ric kayne of los angeles) not allowing golf spikes/shoes (that's why the monster is wearing trainers on his feet) or golf carts (riding buggys are for losers)

*****cape wickham (foto of cliffside par 3 16th hole which is arguably the most dramatic new hole in the last 50 years, knocked a 6 iron to 5 feet to this pin placement on my final round, 6 rounds in total, the subtleties of great architecture or california golden bears prospect player evaluations cannot be discerned in one viewing)...masters coore & crenshaw's walking only design in nova scotia touches the atlantic ocean multiple times during the round thru a creative design that changes the direction of the wind on almost every hole of clearly the best course in canada

i got a dedicated 100% commitment to travel to the end of earth if necessary to play/experience the world's greatest golf course (and also to watch every second of golden bears basketball live in person home & away) so yeah when i hear certain guys on the cal basketball team aren't putting up 500+ shots every single day (no days off) or putting in the extra s&c work in order to compete for pac 12 championships it kinda ******* pisses me off

what's your passion? (sleep & clothes are for losers)#:bluecarrot::bluecarrot::bluecarrot::bluecarrot::bluecarrot::bluecarrot::bluecarrot:
Shocky1

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including nor cal's finest)#:bravo:bravo
Shocky1
GB54;842849967 said:

Iceland is nothing but moody alcoholic detectives staring into the abyss. The sushi and yoga sucks.

the laundry mat cafe in reykjavik is a wonderfully eccentric place to start the morning with a tasty hearty breakfast but like too many places in iceland that curvy brunette yoga female spotted from further afar is sometimes (but not always thankfully) actually upon further inspection an ugly azz dude with a man bun, that's really like a ******* bad dream

you gotta pay attention

men with man buns (other than bobo)#:nono:
Bobodeluxe
A ponytail is NOT a man bun.
Shocky1
Bobodeluxe;842851412 said:

A ponytail is NOT a man bun.

whatever

don't be a dumb azz#
Shocky1
sure hope the above post don't give derek "supercuts" king & dontae "gonna change my look monthly" coleman any really bad ******* manscape ideas

the monster is here to educate not obfuscate
socaltownie
stu;842851041 said:

At Cal I was a Physical Sciences field major, mostly physics and a long time ago, so I'm not qualified to judge climate research. But I think physics is inherently simpler (not easier, just more fundamental) than climate science, life sciences, and social sciences so I wouldn't expect papers in those fields to match the standards of papers in physics. However I work with people who have advanced degrees in fields closely related to climate and they all agree humans are causing a big problem. Not necessarily for someone my age in my location, I expect to see plenty more nice days. But I don't have to buy flood insurance for grandchildren in Florida.

Unfortunately I think the argument has become more economic and political than scientific as there's so much money to be made in fossil fuels. Probably more than in other politicized industries such as tobacco, drugs, pesticides, asbestos, lead, firearms, etc. This is America - to get the answer follow the money.

+1. The climate science is fairly indisuptable. The issue is that many in the climate science field don't stop there and then try to become economists, political scientists, philosphers, and moralists.
Shocky1
nba summer league: boston celtics vs san antonio spurs

jaylen brown: 6 points on 2-6 field goals with 0-4 on 3 pointers along with 8 boards, 2 assists, a steal & 4 turnovers in 25 minutes
jabari bird: no points on 0-2 fields along with 2 blocks & an assist in 12 minutes

attack the basket, bird#
6956bear
Shocky1;842851422 said:

nba summer league: boston celtics vs san antonio spurs

jaylen brown: 6 points on 2-6 field goals with 0-4 on 3 pointers along with 8 boards, 2 assists, a steal & 4 turnovers in 25 minutes
jabari bird: no points on 0-2 fields along with 2 blocks & an assist in 12 minutes

attack the basket, bird#

Bird has almost no shot at making the Celtics this season. He will need to play in G-league and really develop his NBA 3 pt range. The roster the Celtics have is stacked. Now they have Gordon Hayward as well.
mikecohen
socaltownie;842851417 said:

+1. The climate science is fairly indisuptable. The issue is that many in the climate science field don't stop there and then try to become economists, political scientists, philosphers, and moralists.

Somebody has to take those steps, if the economists, political scientists, philosophers and moralists don't, such that nothing otherwise gets done.
Shocky1
nba summer league: utah jazz vs philadelphia 76ers

tyrone wallace: 5 points on 2-4 field goals along with 3 boards & a steady ball handling no turnovers
Shocky1
upon further reflection marcus "rainbow hair coloring" lee is also at risk

work that tail, girl#

Shocky1;842851415 said:

sure hope the above post don't give derek "supercuts" king & dontae "gonna change my look monthly" coleman any really bad ******* manscape ideas

the monster is here to educate not obfuscate
socaltownie
mikecohen;842851445 said:

Somebody has to take those steps, if the economists, political scientists, philosophers and moralists don't, such that nothing otherwise gets done.

Here is what I mean by that. The "consensus" in the climate scientist community is that things must be done NOW! I mean NOW!!

And yet - baring significant breakthroughs in energy storage, distribution, and alternative energy manufacturing capability, that would doom about 2 billion people currently living in back breaking poverty to continued back breaking poverty. It isn't clear that, "net" more people wouldn't be better off with 5 degree C increase if what that meant was that you could electrify and modernize a huge swatch of the planet.

Now that is an awfully bleak future. It isn't fun to talk about (because a whole bunch of OTHER people are going to suffer from that 5 degree increase). There is a reason that economics is called the dismal science But that is what I mean by the climate scientists getting involved in fields they don't understand. When climate scientists wish away the problem of global poverty and development I roll my eyes and want to show them how to go back to find the science buildings.
parentswerebears
socaltownie;842851501 said:

Here is what I mean by that. The "consensus" in the climate scientist community is that things must be done NOW! I mean NOW!!

And yet - baring significant breakthroughs in energy storage, distribution, and alternative energy manufacturing capability, that would doom about 2 billion people currently living in back breaking poverty to continued back breaking poverty. It isn't clear that, "net" more people wouldn't be better off with 5 degree C increase if what that meant was that you could electrify and modernize a huge swatch of the planet.

Now that is an awfully bleak future. It isn't fun to talk about (because a whole bunch of OTHER people are going to suffer from that 5 degree increase). There is a reason that economics is called the dismal science But that is what I mean by the climate scientists getting involved in fields they don't understand. When climate scientists wish away the problem of global poverty and development I roll my eyes and want to show them how to go back to find the science buildings.

Hey! This isn't about golf or yoga or brunettes. This post doesn't belong here. :p
Plus it is a serious downer. If I wanted to feel down, I would read presidential tweets.
Shocky1
listen up young ones, when coach theo tells you something it comes from a nba background of working with the very best in the biz, got it?

cal's greatest 3 point shooter (sorry crabbe & midgley)#:rant
Shocky1
so cal basketball junkie told me that scott washington is a 6'3" guard that can score at all 3 levels & that he will be entering st john bosco as a 2021 class prospect with a tremendous upside...scott's dad is former cal great chris washington (elementary math school teacher/aau coach) who played with kevin johnson (nba all star/former mayor of sacramento), david butler (investment management in manhattan beach), richard chang (runs costco in taiwan), leonard taylor (undercover cop), jon wheeler (insurance broker in bay area), jeff huling (real estate broker in seattle), eddie javius (educational consultant in fresno), jim beatie (insurance broker in seattle), bart koenitzer (medical supplies in bay area), earnie sears (educator in palmdale), michael taylor (wine distributor owner in bay area) & harmut ortmann (played pro ball 10 years in germany)

50 year decision (the streak)#:gobears:
mikecohen
socaltownie;842851501 said:

The climate scientists are screaming into the wind, embarking on the (at least initially) apparently hopeless task of getting people to pay attention to the true facts.

The true facts being ignored in favor of "cant" is a political problem the results of which in human history are often if not always the most catastrophic events.

The answer to the climate scientists' inability to call on expertise in other fields that they don't have is NOT for them to stop, by ringing the tocsin, trying to motivate the people in those other fields, who can actually help the situation, to act.

Climate scientists crying emergency up against a wall of failure to deal with the problem on the part of people who have the expertise and/or power to do something about it is not blameworthy.

To me, it's analogous to members of a group which continues to suffer from discrimination and oppression being criticized for the manner in which they express the horribleness of the situation - like persons who are hit hard and painfully being criticized for the manner in which they say "Ouch".

The fact that the way in which a proposed fix of an emergency creates other problems requires figuring out another way, not censorship.

In any case, I suspect you've set up a straw man. I don't know of any climate scientists who advocate screwing the poor, or damning the torpedos - full speed ahead.

Anyhow, thank PWB for his support. Bears will be Bears; and the world, ultimately, is a better place for it.
Shocky1

journeyed today the golden circle in iceland, there is growing concern among iceland scientists that the current trend of global warming is melting the island's glaciers at an alarming rate with dire global consequences

don't be a ******* dumb azz (protect the environment)#:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
BearlyCareAnymore
mikecohen;842851623 said:

The climate scientists are screaming into the wind, embarking on the (at least initially) apparently hopeless task of getting people to pay attention to the true facts.

The true facts being ignored in favor of "cant" is a political problem the results of which in human history are often if not always the most catastrophic events.

The answer to the climate scientists' inability to call on expertise in other fields that they don't have is NOT for them to stop, by ringing the tocsin, trying to motivate the people in those other fields, who can actually help the situation, to act.

Climate scientists crying emergency up against a wall of failure to deal with the problem on the part of people who have the expertise and/or power to do something about it is not blameworthy.

To me, it's analogous to members of a group which continues to suffer from discrimination and oppression being criticized for the manner in which they express the horribleness of the situation - like persons who are hit hard and painfully being criticized for the manner in which they say "Ouch".

The fact that the way in which a proposed fix of an emergency creates other problems requires figuring out another way, not censorship.

In any case, I suspect you've set up a straw man. I don't know of any climate scientists who advocate screwing the poor, or damning the torpedos - full speed ahead.

Anyhow, thank PWB for his support. Bears will be Bears; and the world, ultimately, is a better place for it.

I have given up talking about global warming because I'm tired of listening to smart and stupid people alike come up with the dumbest bullshyte I've ever heard so that they can convince themselves they don't have to sacrifice. Bottom line, humans don't change behavior. I think scientists know they are going to have no choice but to actively release stuff into the atmosphere to counteract carbon emissions, but they are scared that if they go that path they can screw it up and in some way damage the atmosphere or otherwise cause a disaster. We will get to a point where we have no choice.
BearlyCareAnymore
Shocky1;842851622 said:

so cal basketball junkie told me that scott washington is a 6'3" guard that can score at all 3 levels & that he will be entering st john bosco as a 2021 class prospect with a tremendous upside...scott's dad is former cal great chris washington (elementary math school teacher/aau coach) who played with kevin johnson (nba all star/former mayor of sacramento), david butler (investment management in manhattan beach), richard chang (runs costco in taiwan), leonard taylor (undercover cop), jon wheeler (insurance broker in bay area), jeff huling (real estate broker in seattle), eddie javius (educational consultant in fresno), jim beatie (insurance broker in seattle), bart koenitzer (medical supplies in bay area), earnie sears (educator in palmdale), michael taylor (wine distributor owner in bay area) & harmut ortmann (played pro ball 10 years in germany)

50 year decision (the streak)#:gobears:

Wow, Hartmut Ortmann played pro somewhere for 10 years? He was always good for several Campanelli explosions a game
Shocky1
nba summer league: boston celtics vs utah jazz

jabari bird: 9 points on 3-7 field goals (all 3 pointers) along with a board, an assist, a steal & 2 turnovers in 29 minutes (started)
jaylen brown: dip

tyrone wallace: 3 points on 1-3 field goals & 1-2 free throws along with 4 boards, 2 assists & 2 turnovers in 15 minutes

attack the basket, bird#
First Page Last Page
Page 170 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.