cal's monster class deux

1,375,634 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?

there's a lot of fantastic art & culture dating back centuries for the sophisticated traveler in barcelona but mostly i like the topless beach con las chicas bonitas del yoga el pelo negro y los estamagos planos

nude as the news, clothes are for losers (shut up, shocky)#:headbang
HoopDreams
I was in the gold gym a couple weeks back (improving my crooked azz shooting)

Roman Davis was on the other court putting up 500+ shots
Vastly improved shooting form. Smooth release.
Saw him hit 6+ threes in a row several times and 9 straight threes once
He also was automatic with his pull up 15 footer
Needs work on his floater

Shocky1;842852172 said:

let's be real here, right now the bears got all the pieces of the puzzle to be by far the worst shooting & lowest scoring team in the pac 12 next season unless quite a few guys significantly improve their crooked azz shooting by putting up at least 500+ shots every single day (no days off)

when's the last time you talked/worked out with theo re: your shot mechanics/mental awareness of timing & placement of your perimeter shots?...why is it that almost half of this roster can't make 50% of their free throws? (yeah i'm monitoring your lack of progress, you know that)

if you think change/improvement is gonna happen without your sorry broken down azz working a whole lot harder, we're ******

arizona 73
cal 49

:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang
parentswerebears
HoopDreams;842852189 said:

Yes!
Shocky1
hoop dreams, appreciate your 1st hand report (also glad your also working on your crooked azz shooting too), i'm also hearing positive news that roman is working harder to realize his untapped potential

roman, can't wait to see the results of your work, let's ******* do this amigo

taylor & shocky are unforgettable (this much we know is true)#:crazy:crazy

Shocky1;842840948 said:

what up, roman?

you know i'm your biggest fan, the guy who sees your unlimited potential, the one who talks to nba scouts re: your crazy athleticism during the early warm ups, the believer who knows you got all pac 12 potential

do you remember the asu game in tempe when the bears were up big time late in the game & i started to relentlessly yell from right behind the cal bench with taylor at the dealmaker to put you in the game with a couple of minutes left?...he turned around & gave me the stink eye death row stare but then he put both you & cole in the game

but let's be real here, roman, you haven't worked hard enough (you took last summer off) on your game, your crooked azz shooting earned you a spot on the bench next to martin...are you gonna put in the work to put up 500+ practice shots every single day (no days off, no excuses)?

roman, the time is now, is your career gonna be unforgettable?

unforgettable (potential don't mean **** if you don't got a indefatigable work ethic)#:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe
Cal8285
blungld;842851838 said:

Wasn't that the game where the refs blew a foot on the arc three point call that decided the game?
No, the game where Washington made the layup with one second left, missed the FT, and Taylor got the put back for the win was in the last year with no 3 point shot, that's why the foul was so incredibly stupid. Let Washington make an uncontested layup, and Cal loses the game. Back then, the clock still didn't stop after a made bucket in the last minute of the game, and Cal didn't have any timeouts left, a made 2 with no foul would have ended the game. Crazy.

Also on further review, that game wasn't in late 1985, it was in early 1986 (January 6 to be precise). For some reason, in between a home Thursday-Saturday set against the Washington schools and a road Thursday-Saturday set at Arizona, we hosted USF on a Monday. Weird.

The game the next season at USF was a more normal OOC December game, on December 6. That was the first season of the 3 point shot, the Bears lost that one 65-63. I don't remember noticing a blown foot on the arc call affected that game, or reading about it in the paper the next day, although the refs did seem to blow a lot of those calls early in the 3 point era, so it could have happened then.
caltagjohnson
Shocky, what are your comments about Cal's lack of scoring coming from?
HS stats:
Dyson - 20 ppg, 55% FG, 37% 3pt and 69% FTs
McCullough - 54% FG, 45% 3PT
Sueing - 54% FG, 34% 3pt, 73% FTs
Winston - 40% FG, 27% 3pt, 76% FTs. NEEDS TO GET BETTER from Three
McNeill - no reported stats
Anticevich - no stats

I assume everyone on the team will spend the Summer working on their game. I doubt any encouragement is needed. They are all fighting for a rotation spot. BTW Cal never had a 45% 3 pt shooter in history as far as I know. A Davis who can score is welcome news. Frankly I don't see any big scoring issue. King's range is about 5 ft from the basket. I doubt he is working on his 3 pt shot. Most of Lee's scoring is going to be inside rather than on the perimeter. Last season at practice he showed a nice hook shot which can't be blocked. I am not concerned with Lee's game. I suspect McNeill and Anticevich are good shooters. The new D is supposed to lead to more transition baskets. I assume everyone can make a layup.
UrsaMajor
I think Shocky's point is that everyone you list is a freshman. There are no reliable scorers returning; how well these guys transition to college remains to be seen and is critical. FWIW, no one shoots as well in college as a freshman as they did in high school, so expecting McCullough to shoot 45% requires the use of drugs.
Big C
caltagjohnson;842852899 said:

HS stats:
Anticevich - no stats

I assume everyone on the team will spend the Summer working on their game. I doubt any encouragement is needed. They are all fighting for a rotation spot. BTW Cal never had a 45% 3 pt shooter in history as far as I know. A Davis who can score is welcome news. Frankly I don't see any big scoring issue. King's range is about 5 ft from the basket. I doubt he is working on his 3 pt shot. Most of Lee's scoring is going to be inside rather than on the perimeter. Last season at practice he showed a nice hook shot which can't be blocked. I am not concerned with Lee's game. I suspect McNeill and Anticevich are good shooters. The new D is supposed to lead to more transition baskets. I assume everyone can make a layup.

Respectfully disagree. I don't see much firepower on this team. Remember, Sam Singer averaged 30+ ppg his junior year of high school, so...

While I'm rather optimistic about the Wyking Jones Regime, in general, and am definitely looking forward to watching our Bears this coming year (in person), I could easily see us ranking 11th or 12th in the conference in scoring and no one player averaging as much as a dozen points per game.
Big C
HoopDreams;842852189 said:

Wow, if Roman Davis were able to come in this fall with some refined skills and contribute some winning team basketball, the minutes are right there waiting for him, at the 3 and even the 4 spot. Potential "X factor"!
Shocky1

last noche in barcelona

just like haas pavilion is the magical home of cal basketball on gamedays, the hamptons got the best collection of elite golf links on planet earth, barcelona is the undisputed epicenter of curvy brunette yoga females with flat stomachs in this galaxy

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including espana)#
caltagjohnson
UrsaMajor;842852903 said:

I think Shocky's point is that everyone you list is a freshman. There are no reliable scorers returning; how well these guys transition to college remains to be seen and is critical. FWIW, no one shoots as well in college as a freshman as they did in high school, so expecting McCullough to shoot 45% requires the use of drugs.

I think this "freshmen can't be good"is a bunch of nonsense. College teams and the NBA draft are full of freshmen. I don't know if any of you played basketball. I played in HS and JC. The number of minutes we played is probably not 1/2 of what is played today. Many HS guys play the regular season, tournaments and AAU ball. Compared to my day, HS graduates who have played through HS have the experience of a college sophomore.

If you can shoot threes, you can do it anywhere. Same ball, same hoop, same distance. You cannot keep three point shooters from getting good shots. Everybody knew Mathews was going to shoot threes. Nobody stopped him from getting his shots. This is Lee's fifth year of college ball. He willl be a man among boys. He is going to put up some points. Coleman has the potential to be a good scorer also. I was one of the 10 fans who attended the NIT game against a good Bakersfield team. One of the top rated defensive teams in the country. Coleman shredded them for 26 points. He also showed against USC and UCLA what he is capable of doing. He does not need to shoot from three. He just goes to the hoop.
Shocky1
jordan, the donut boy of tuscon is already set at the 4 with shareef o'neal (6'9" 200 lbs, still growing expected to reach 6'11") with his dad shaq looking over his shoulder to ensure his son gets his playing time with 4 star ira lee & duke transfer chase jeter as the backups for 2018...how's he spinning your playing time opportunities to you & your dad dion?

bear down (with **** academics & political playing minutes)#:bigpuke:

Shocky1;842843502 said:

major arizona donor just told me that the donut boy of tucson's summertime bigs big board priorities are marvin bagley, moses brown, nazreon reid, bol bol & jalen smith with duke transfer chase jeter already set at the 4 sliding to the 5 for 2018

jordan brown is no longer a priority (the staff intends to stay in touch in case there's a change of heart) for the wildcats & he's no longer as interested in stanford, this is turning into a cal vs ucla led by rapist enabler steve alford recruiting battle that will tip the future balance of power in the pac 12 to either berkeley or westwood

back to the bay (from roseville)#:chainsaw
HoopDreams
hanging.

Shocky1
kinda wondering if young ivee & coach wyking got the same hairdresser at supercuts?

shut up, shocky#:bluecarrot:
caltagjohnson
Shocky1;842852992 said:

kinda wondering if young ivee & coach wyking got the same hairdresser at supercuts?

shut up, shocky#:bluecarrot:

The physique difference between Wyking and Ivan is really obvious. One of Wyking's arms is double Ivan's.
Shocky1

monster recruiting trip is now arrived per plane & gondola in venice italy

asked the bellhop if he knows any high gpa prospects with length & non stop self improvement motors, he said he would ask around

grazie

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including the gritti palace):gobears:
Shocky1
grant, your not the 1st guy from down under who's gonna graduate from cal that's got a bright future...sean marks earned his degree from the #1 ranked public university in the world, earned $10+ million playing in the nba & now he's the general manager for the new jersey nets earning $9m+ on a 4 year contract he signed in 2016

and yeah i know the difference between a kiwi & an aussie, ok?...don't be a dumb azz:rollinglaugh:

Shocky1;842848946 said:

update: grant anticevich is showing up/making plays in open scrimmages, he's got length & a very strong handle for a player of his size, a better dribbler/passer than david kravish at the same point in his career

but let's be real here grant don't got good hair:headbang

__________________________________________________________________________________________

welcome 6'8" 210 lbs grant anticevich from the newington college in new south wales australia:cheer

http://www.hudl.com/profile/7634288/grant-anticevich

grant officially visited georgia tech & davidson along with a secret (non authorized personnel not told ****) stop in berkeley as part of his family's whirlwind tour of the united states

anticevich's commitment is part of my accelerated international recruiting which is quietly whispered in the shadowy hallways of haas pavilion as part of the lisbon plan, some of my lisbon plan is so complicated that even coach martin don't understand it unless i speak real slow & then he just blankly nods

yeah grant can't wait to arrive in cali this summer & check out them curvy brunette yoga females with flat stomachs, what a time to be alive:cheer:cheer:cheer

shocky is down under#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including sydney):tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree
SFCityBear
caltagjohnson;842852899 said:

HS stats:
Anticevich - no stats

Jerome Randle, 46.3% on threes, 177 attempts, 2008-2009 season

Theo Robertson, 48.7% on threes, 115 attempts, 2008-2009 season

Theo Robertson, 45.3% on threes, 106 attempts, 2009-2010 season

And the layup is not as much of a sure thing as it used to be.
UrsaMajor
Please learn to read (or re-learn if you forgot). No one is saying freshmen can't be good; what I am saying (and the stats bear it out) is that no one plays as well as a freshman as they did in high school; the opponents are bigger and faster and what constitutes a good shot in college isn't the same as in high school (i.e., the window of "being open" is shorter). Jordan Mathews was a 45+% 3-point shooter in hs, and shot 39% (still good) at Cal as a freshman. Relying on mostly freshman for scoring is dicey. Not that they can't do it, but expecting them to carry the load is not something I'd bet the house on.

As for Lee--you're right, he's a 5th year senior and should be able to be productive; otoh, he has never shown that much of an offensive game before (although perhaps he hasn't had that much of a chance before) and if he does so, it will be a bonus. At this point, Don Coleman has shown one move only: a bull rush to the hoop. At times that can be successful, but until he develops a lot more versatility, he's likely to be limited. Yes, he had a couple of good games, but overall, he averaged 4.5 ppg on 37% shooting (even on 2's he only shot 43%). Even in the CSUB game, while he had 26 points, he shot 7-19. Shredding is a bit of an overstatement.

Look, I want those players to succeed as much as you do, but let's try to be a teensy-tiny bit realistic.
UrsaMajor
stop confusing him with facts, SFCity.
caltagjohnson
UrsaMajor;842853122 said:

stop confusing him with facts, SFCity.

I am always happen to accept facts and be corrected. Can I have the studies that show that freshmen don't play as well as they did in HS? I have never seen such a study. I doubt it applied to the five KY freshman who won the national chamoionship.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]doing it all.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="#0000CD"][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/COLOR]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=4]Jabari Bird keys the Celtics win with 7-9 shooting for 15 points + EIGHT rebounds[/SIZE]

[COLOR="#0000CD"][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/COLOR]

sluggo_Cal
caltagjohnson;842853150 said:

I am always happen to accept facts and be corrected. Can I have the studies that show that freshmen don't play as well as they did in HS? I have never seen such a study. I doubt it applied to the five KY freshman who won the national chamoionship.

If you saw a study, would you believe it? Would you not know better than the people who spend their whole lives working on this issue? Would it not be a conspiracy of the liberal MSM to redistribute wealth?

There were no KY freshman who won a national championship (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%9312_Kentucky_Wildcats_men%27s_basketball_team). But, anyway, comparing Cal's middle of the pack (or worse) recruits to the very best recruits in the country is not so smart. It is like arguing against global warming based on the temperature in one place on one day. Oh wait.

It is transparently obvious that the increased defensive pressure as a player goes up in level would lead to worse shooting. Now that would be counteracted to some extent by an extra year practicing.

Sluggo
Shocky1

boston celtics vs philadelphia 76ers

jabari bird: 15 points on 7-10 field goals including 1-3 free throws along with 8 boards, a steal, 2 turnovers & 3 fouls in 26 minutes

jaylen brown: 7 points on 2-7 field goals including 1-5 3 pointers & 2-2 free throws along with 5 boards, an assist, 2 blocks, 2 turnovers & 2 fouls in 13 minutes

portland trailblazers vs san antonio spurs

jorge gutierrez: 8 points on 2-4 field goals including 0-1 3 pointers & 4-4 free throws along with a board, 5 assists, 3 steals, a block, 4 turnovers & 5 fouls in 25 minutes

alan crabbe: dnp but on bench recovering from foot surgery

memphis grizzlies vs utah jazz

ivan rabb & tyrone wallace: dnp

attack of the bird (good upstanding citizens of tomales are ******)#
Shocky1
59bear;842848062 said:

Sadly, no. Hope he took lots of language classes in his time at Cal.

don't quit your ******* day job 59b, your potential career as a nba talent evaluator isn't gonna happen, hope you took lots of language classes in berkeley

1st day out (the bird must fly)#:hammer:
Shocky1
major sun angels donor told me that kyree's dad has been offered a job as an assistant coach by bobby "off to the races" hurley if his son enrolls in tempe, everybody is a dealmaker these days

art of the deal (until a wildcats booster outbids hurley between now & then)#:bigpuke:

Shocky1;842850452 said:

kyree walker's dad got a coaching position with the hillcrest academy in phoenix (deandre ayton's fake school with on line classes which aren't monitored) which resulted in the transfer from moreau catholic & today the 2020 top 10 player committed to asu

if kyree continues to blow up fully expect arizona to outbid asu by the time walker actually signs a letter of intent

kyree walker=true student athlete with academic ambition:sarc:
UrsaMajor
It never ceases to amaze me that this is OK with the NCAA. I get offering a father a job, but if it is explicitly contingent upon the signing of the son, that would seem to be an impermissible benefit (like giving Jelani Gardner's father $30K).
Shocky1
UrsaMajor;842853254 said:

It never ceases to amaze me that this is OK with the NCAA. I get offering a father a job, but if it is explicitly contingent upon the signing of the son, that would seem to be an impermissible benefit (like giving Jelani Gardner's father $30K).

agreed ursa but it honestly makes me sadder when truly exceptional student athletes like steven thompson jr (passed on an actionable offer from stanford) & ethan thompson (passed on an actionable offer from cal) are forced to give up world class degrees/educations that would benefit them for the next 50+ years in order to play basketball for their dad at a junior college plus school

dad of the year (a mind is a terrible thing to waste)#:headbang
SFCityBear

I had no intent to correct or confuse. That was just UrsaMajor being UrsaMajor. I was only adding some information that you said you didn't have.
Shocky1
happy birthday shay shay, love you sweetie, haters mad for whatever reason

-your favorite ******* black beetle dad

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including dolce & gabbana venice italy)
SFCityBear
UrsaMajor;842853121 said:

Please learn to read (or re-learn if you forgot). No one is saying freshmen can't be good; what I am saying (and the stats bear it out) is that no one plays as well as a freshman as they did in high school; the opponents are bigger and faster and what constitutes a good shot in college isn't the same as in high school (i.e., the window of "being open" is shorter). Jordan Mathews was a 45+% 3-point shooter in hs, and shot 39% (still good) at Cal as a freshman. Relying on mostly freshman for scoring is dicey. Not that they can't do it, but expecting them to carry the load is not something I'd bet the house on.

As for Lee--you're right, he's a 5th year senior and should be able to be productive; otoh, he has never shown that much of an offensive game before (although perhaps he hasn't had that much of a chance before) and if he does so, it will be a bonus. At this point, Don Coleman has shown one move only: a bull rush to the hoop. At times that can be successful, but until he develops a lot more versatility, he's likely to be limited. Yes, he had a couple of good games, but overall, he averaged 4.5 ppg on 37% shooting (even on 2's he only shot 43%). Even in the CSUB game, while he had 26 points, he shot 7-19. Shredding is a bit of an overstatement.

Look, I want those players to succeed as much as you do, but let's try to be a teensy-tiny bit realistic.

I am a little puzzled by your posts on this subject. Is caltagjohnson trying to pump some sunshine here any less realistic than Shocky going so overly negative in his evaluation of the shooting ability of our freshman recruits? Shocky was seemingly not talking like the rest of us are, making predictions never having seen these players in action. Apparently he has seen this shooting on display in person, and even if they did not shoot well the days Shcocky was there, I still was surprised when Shocky went off like this.

I'd agree with your point about freshmen not shooting as well as freshmen as they did in high school. I do not agree with your comment that "NO ONE plays as well as freshmen as they did in high school." Playing well and shooting well are two different animals.

Statistics from high school are meaningless for comparison purposes. One major factor you don't mention for freshmen not shooting as well in college is simply that not only is their competition bigger and better, but so are their own teammates. He will get far fewer scoring opportunities as a freshman, because he has to share the ball with other very talented players. And he will have to share minutes with these players as well. In high school, he was usually the go-to guy, and he took most of the shots, and played a lot more minutes than he will in college. There usually was no one behind the star player, pressing him to take some of his minutes.

It has been a long time since I went to a high school game. Do they now play in short spurts like in college? In college there are timeouts seemingly every couple of minutes, and many coaches substitute liberally. A shooter needs to shoot, needs to get in a rhythm, and it is hard to do that if your teammates are also doing a lot of the shooting, or your coach is giving you a breather, or the game is often stopped for timeouts.

Another factor you don't mention is that the college stage is bigger, and the pressure is much greater than playing in front of 200 kids and parents in a high school gym. There have been some players who played well as freshmen, perhaps even better than in high school, but they are rare. The usual scenario was played out two years ago, when Cal was predicted by a couple on this board to be a Final Four team, largely on the basis of landing Ivan Rabb and Jaylen Brown. Neither played as well as freshmen as they had in high school. You could not say they had bad years, but they proved the point that even as talented as they were, being a dominant player as a freshman is no easy trick.

Finally, playing well as a college freshman does not mean the same thing as playing well in high school. If a star player scores 10 points less or shoots 5-10% lower in college, he can still be considered to have played well in college if he fits into an offense without detracting from it (making too many mistakes) and passes well, or plays defense well or rebounds well.
Shocky1

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including some random bridge in venice)
UrsaMajor

I don't know if there are formal studies, but here's some data on last year's Max Preps AA as well as some top Cal recruits comparing their last year of hs with their 1st year of college (rounded):

Player HS PPG Freshman PPG

Jabari Bird 17 8
Jaylen Brown 28 14
Ivan Rabb 21 12
Caleb Swanigan 22 10
Lonzo Ball 23 14
Jason Tatum 30 17
Cassius Winston 29 7
Marques Bolden 23 2
Amir Coffey 20 12
Frank Johnson 28 11
TJ Leaf 28 16
Payton Pritchard 24 7
Xavier Simpson 26 2

Obviously some of these players (Leaf, Tatum, Ball, to an extent Jaylen and Ivan) made a decent transition, but try to find ONE who was as prolific as a college player as in high school. And some of them obviously struggled badly. Remember: these are the BEST players in the class.
caltagjohnson
UrsaMajor;842853361 said:

I don't know if there are formal studies, but here's some data on last year's Max Preps AA as well as some top Cal recruits comparing their last year of hs with their 1st year of college (rounded):

Player HS PPG Freshman PPG

Jabari Bird 17 8
Jaylen Brown 28 14
Ivan Rabb 21 12
Caleb Swanigan 22 10
Lonzo Ball 23 14
Jason Tatum 30 17
Cassius Winston 29 7
Marques Bolden 23 2
Amir Coffey 20 12
Frank Johnson 28 11
TJ Leaf 28 16
Payton Pritchard 24 7
Xavier Simpson 26 2

Obviously some of these players (Leaf, Tatum, Ball, to an extent Jaylen and Ivan) made a decent transition, but try to find ONE who was as prolific as a college player as in high school. And some of them obviously struggled badly. Remember: these are the BEST players in the class.

Just comparing points scored does not necessarily equate to playing better or worse. I am not trying to translate HS stats to potential stats at Cal. My point is that these players were all very good HS players. That gives some confidence that they will also be good college players. The level of coaching and teaching will be better. They are also a year older. I just don't buy into the extreme pessimism that is voiced about this team. The fact this is not a team built around a few stars gives the coaches a chance to build team chemistry.
First Page Last Page
Page 173 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.