cal's monster class deux

1,375,776 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
update: jordan, your current hand fracture injury which is causing you to miss the 1st 2 live periods (hopefully your gonna be ready to roll by the las vegas period) is yet another cruel reminder that someday basketball is gonna be done with you, nobody gets to play the game forever...what school is your best 50 year decision?

:gobears:

jordan, glad to hear you & your dad dion are gonna cut your list to maybe 10 finalists in early september

perhaps your college criteria will include your relationship/trust with the head coach (steve alford & dana altman are both documented rapist enablers), the style of play (the donut boy of tuscon's half court motion isn't the best system for you to showcase your open court abilities), the academic reputation of the institution (kansas, oregon, arizona, nevada & gonzaga are academically mediocre), your connection with the strength & conditioning coach (you lack nba strength right now, jordan jackson is the most energized body/mind builder on the west coast) & the driving distance from roseville on gamedays (berkeley is closer than reno, st johns forget about it)

buy conflict free diamonds (berkeley is at the forefront worldwide of social activism)#

Shocky1;842849739 said:

what up, jordan, you glad to be home sleeping in your own bed?

jordan, your arguably the #2 player in the 2018 class, you got a 3.5 gpa, you can go to any school you want to on planet earth

but here's the deal, do you wanna share your collegiate basketball gamedays with moms & the family?

our time on planet earth with our loved ones is limited, don't ever forget where your from

love yourz (beauty in the struggle)#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (and a lot closer on gamedays to roseville than westwood/marvin bagley jr & sr):nono:
UrsaMajor
caltagjohnson;842853372 said:

Just comparing points scored does not necessarily equate to playing better or worse. I am not trying to translate HS stats to potential stats at Cal. My point is that these players were all very good HS players. That gives some confidence that they will also be good college players. The level of coaching and teaching will be better. They are also a year older. I just don't buy into the extreme pessimism that is voiced about this team. The fact this is not a team built around a few stars gives the coaches a chance to build team chemistry.

I could have added assists and rebounds which were also less for each of the players. Your point that our players were very good HS players (some better than others) is valid. And I share your overall confidence that at least some of them will be very good college players. I also agree that this may be more of a team than the last 2 years. In all of that we don't disagree; I've not posted "extreme pessimism" anywhere. I'm merely pointing out that 1. we are relying on a lot of freshmen, and the odds are that at least some of them will have some struggles making the transition (think Sam Singer who averaged nearly 30 ppg in high school) and 2. most of the returning players have holes in their games (Kingsley struggles scoring; Lee has not as yet shown an all-around offensive game; Coleman is still one-dimensional; Davis can defend and rebound but struggles mightily offensively). Can they improve? Absolutely. Will all the stars line up perfectly? I don't know, but I'm not betting my 401k on it.

All of this back and forth was begun by your original post that suggested (using scoring and shooting percentages) that we'd have no trouble scoring given the freshmen coming in. I am merely pointing out that the transition to college usually takes time and involves struggle.

btw, even Wyking is not predicting NCAA tournament before 2018-2019.
caltagjohnson
UrsaMajor;842853388 said:

I could have added assists and rebounds which were also less for each of the players. Your point that our players were very good HS players (some better than others) is valid. And I share your overall confidence that at least some of them will be very good college players. I also agree that this may be more of a team than the last 2 years. In all of that we don't disagree; I've not posted "extreme pessimism" anywhere. I'm merely pointing out that 1. we are relying on a lot of freshmen, and the odds are that at least some of them will have some struggles making the transition (think Sam Singer who averaged nearly 30 ppg in high school) and 2. most of the returning players have holes in their games (Kingsley struggles scoring; Lee has not as yet shown an all-around offensive game; Coleman is still one-dimensional; Davis can defend and rebound but struggles mightily offensively). Can they improve? Absolutely. Will all the stars line up perfectly? I don't know, but I'm not betting my 401k on it.

All of this back and forth was begun by your original post that suggested (using scoring and shooting percentages) that we'd have no trouble scoring given the freshmen coming in. I am merely pointing out that the transition to college usually takes time and involves struggle.

btw, even Wyking is not predicting NCAA tournament before 2018-2019.

Amen!
UrsaMajor
Nothing to be puzzled about, SFCity. I don't bother with Shocky's negativism, because he's usually just blowing smoke and it's hard to take most of what he says seriously (except for the occasional bit of "news," or I suppose his evaluation of golf courses).

Perhaps my "no one plays as well" was poorly worded. It is pretty rare to find a freshman who doesn't struggle at times, and their shooting is usually the obvious thing that suffers. My main point was that you can't take high school stats (as Caltagjohnson did) and extrapolate that the offense will be OK. As I posted later, I am cautiously optimistic; I believe that Wyking is likely to have more of a team-oriented approach (based on who he considers mentors), but I also have relatively modest expectations.

You are right, of course, about all of the other factors that go into making the transition difficult. Yes, you can play well without scoring a lot (Draymond Green, Kingsley Okoroh), and I hope that is the case.
bearmanpg
UrsaMajor;842853361 said:

I don't know if there are formal studies, but here's some data on last year's Max Preps AA as well as some top Cal recruits comparing their last year of hs with their 1st year of college (rounded):

Player HS PPG Freshman PPG

Jabari Bird 17 8
Jaylen Brown 28 14
Ivan Rabb 21 12
Caleb Swanigan 22 10
Lonzo Ball 23 14
Jason Tatum 30 17
Cassius Winston 29 7
Marques Bolden 23 2
Amir Coffey 20 12
Frank Johnson 28 11
TJ Leaf 28 16
Payton Pritchard 24 7
Xavier Simpson 26 2

Obviously some of these players (Leaf, Tatum, Ball, to an extent Jaylen and Ivan) made a decent transition, but try to find ONE who was as prolific as a college player as in high school. And some of them obviously struggled badly. Remember: these are the BEST players in the class.

Here is ONE....Guess you forgot about the BEST of the BEST and number 1 draft choice, Markelle Fultz, who averaged 19 pts and 8 rbs as a high school senior...as a freshman at UW he averaged 23 pts and 6 rbs....an outlier but he was the NUMBER 1 DRAFT CHOICE.....you made your point but don't say that Payton Pritchard was one of the BEST players in his class and then leave out Fultz....hurts your credibility...
bearchamp
bearmanpg;842853421 said:

Here is ONE....Guess you forgot about the BEST of the BEST and number 1 draft choice, Markelle Fultz, who averaged 19 pts and 8 rbs as a high school senior...as a freshman at UW he averaged 23 pts and 6 rbs....an outlier but he was the NUMBER 1 DRAFT CHOICE.....you made your point but don't say that Payton Pritchard was one of the BEST players in his class and then leave out Fultz....hurts your credibility...

A huge difference between high school and college is the opportunities given to freshman. Even if the freshman are better, the coaches tend to favor the experienced.
Shocky1

portland trailblazers vs san antonio spurs

jorge gutierrez: 6 points on 2-7 field goals including 1-3 3 pointers & 1-2 free throws along with 2 boards, an assist, 3 steals, a block, no turnovers & a fouls in 22 minutes

alan crabbe: dnp recovering from foot surgery

utah jazz vs phoenix suns

tyrone wallace: 4 points on 1-6 field goals including 2-4 free throws along with 3 boards, 2 steals, 2 turnovers & 3 fouls in 14 minutes

t-wall gotta improve his crooked azz shooting#:hammer:
HoopDreams
the perfect machine for the spiderfly

the fiat spider
tsubamoto2001
On the topic of HS stats not being as good as college stats--Duh. In HS, if you are a D-I recruit, you were likely the main scoring option on your team. Even the highest rated prospects are likely stepping into programs with established veterans and/or other highly-rated prospects that they have to share the ball with. I thought this was obvious.
Shocky1
bearchamp;842853457 said:

Watched Austin Paris tonight at Pro Am. Quick and fast. Can't shoot. AND, he was wide open plenty.

just another california golden bear that got crooked azz shooting, almost half of this roster can't make 50% of their free throws

putting up 500+ shots every single day (no days off) is the only solution, crooked azz shooting is a choice not a fate

what's your passion (did you get better today?)#:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe:axe

HoopDreams

Shocky1
ciao hoop dreams, a lot of them california golden bears got big dreams of greatness on the court but the more important question is how many of them are gonna put up 500+ shots every single day (no days off) to improve their crooked azz shooting?

[video=youtube;1HEbanBMzyk][/video]

italian curvy brunette yoga females with flat stomachs are not a dream (if you do the work)#:woohoo

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including italy)
Shocky1
congrats to 6'4" 175 lbs #65 ranked player in the 2017 class devante doutrive, he's now ncca qualified per his guardian laurian watkins (deschon winston's dad, dude likes to verbally articulate a lot kinda like shocky & chris the talker walker)

gpas & classwork matter#:bravo
Shocky1

https://soundcloud.com/the-tribe-akashic/keep-me-company-feat-master-wendu-tae-haru

jaylen brown told me he's got a bruised thigh (not serious), he's done for the nba summer league, maybe got time to get back to berkeley again

[video=youtube;yosa9gN-1sI][/video]

keep me company (co produced by jaylen)#
caltagjohnson
Shocky1;842853490 said:

congrats to 6'4" 175 lbs #65 ranked player in the 2018 class devante doutrive, he's now ncca qualified per his guardian laurian watkins (deschon winston's dad, dude likes to verbally articulate a lot kinda like shocky & chris the talker walker)

gpas & classwork matter#:bravo

I don't think he is Cal qualified. That makes him a top academic qualifier at ASU. His younger brother is a better student but he is not as good as Bradley. Doubt he gets a Cal offer.
caltagjohnson
I think I got him confused with his brother who is a 2017 guy?
Shocky1
caltagjohnson;842853520 said:

I think I got him confused with his brother who is a 2017 guy?

bob, you ability to 50% confuse me 98% of the time is remarkable, no wonder your seats are directly behind me
Shocky1

fun final day in venice at spectacular lido beach, cal basketball recruiting never stops

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked giant university in the world (including italia):p
UrsaMajor
bearman:

I was just going by the MaxPreps all-american team. You're obviously right about Fultz; however, he wasn't AA coming out of HS.
SFBearz
tsubamoto2001;842853462 said:

On the topic of HS stats not being as good as college stats--Duh. In HS, if you are a D-I recruit, you were likely the main scoring option on your team. Even the highest rated prospects are likely stepping into programs with established veterans and/or other highly-rated prospects that they have to share the ball with. I thought this was obvious.

Yep, obvious, common sense, and proven a million times over.
tsubamoto2001
UrsaMajor;842853555 said:

bearman:

I was just going by the MaxPreps all-american team. You're obviously right about Fultz; however, he wasn't AA coming out of HS.

Fultz was a McDonald's All-American and a consensus Top 5 player coming out of HS.

One other thing to note: Fultz played his HS ball at DeMatha Catholic HS, which is usually stocked with D-I prospects.
caltagjohnson
Shocky1;842853546 said:

bob, you ability to 50% confuse me 98% of the time is remarkable, no wonder your seats are directly behind me

Shocky, you were apparently confused before I posted. Devonte Doutrive is a 2017 graduate.
His brother, Devonaire, is a 2018 graduate. Devonte is a 4 star, top 100 shooting guard. If he had the grades to get iunto Cal he would likely be on the roster right now. Being declared eligible by the NCAA is not exactly the same thing as being accepted by Cal admissions. I think Devonaire's academics are much better. I don't think he has a Cal offer, nor is he likely to get one. We have Coleman, Matt Bradley and Dyson in 2018, so we don't need another SG and don't have enough scholarships available for one.

BTW just shooting 500 shots per day is not the answer. I was hacking away, hitting 100 golf balls per day and not improving my crappy swing. Now I am taking lessons and making progress. If Davis was shooting 500 shots per day with last year's form he would just be reinforcing a poor shot. Somebody must have been working with him.
UrsaMajor
Cal tag:
We have gone round and round with Shocky on this one. It's hopeless. Obviously, you're right; In fact I'd go even further--500 shots with poor form makes you worse.

On the other issue: Fultz wasn't AA in MaxPreps (probably should have been). I didn't have the time and inclination to dig further. You're right about him, of course. And deMatha has always been a huge powerhouse (akin to Power Memorial in NYC). I used to live in DC and watched them back in the day.
Shocky1
bob, your correct devante is actually (the monster ****** up) the class of 2017 but when i turn around at haas on gamedays & see you, trust me your not my preferred view, not even close...i dunno maybe you could wear a mask or something

caltagjohnson
Shocky1;842853621 said:

bob, your correct devante is actually (the monster ****** up) the class of 2017 but when i turn around at haas on gamedays & see you, trust me your not my preferred view, not even close...i dunno maybe you could wear a mask or something

If my wife said that I would get worried. I will wear my dark glasses if you promise to not remove your cap. I lose more hair when I go to the barbershop than you have left on your head. I am now letting it get long enough to wear in a ponytail. Nothing cooler than an old guy with a ponytail.
Shocky1

bob, let's be real here, your riding around in an evil golf cart at blackhawk, that's not real golf

cartball is kinda like watching rescue dogs ****, that's not shocky's deal (adopting rescue dogs is the real deal if you got a heart)

golf carts are for losers (if you can't walk that's probably a clue you need a yoga/meditation practice):nono:#
Shocky1
caltagjohnson=bobo=kings of man bobs
Shocky1
for the record, shocky got more than enough hair to get the job done right, please note i've already got my putter in hand for a birdie putt at #11

shocky swang (on the world's top 100 courses)#:acclaim:
Shocky1

finally healthy the bird man is relentlessly attacking the basket (and not just standing in the corner as a 3 point threat) against them golden state warriors finishing with 17 points on 8-10 field goals including 1-2 3 pointers along with a board, an assist, 3 turnovers & a foul in 19 minutes, this **** is getting live

yeah the monster has been cooking up nba dough for all his guys as the director of recruiting/player development along with academic/fashion progress & reducing the cal basketball program's carbon footprint on planet earth, not really sure what coach wyking & his staff are actually doing to be honest with you...probably just sitting around in cushy azz chairs eating homemade candy azz soft chocolate cookies in the conference room while reading cal's monster class or something

get paid, jabari (let's eat)#:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo

Shocky1;842853213 said:

don't quit your ******* day job 59b, your potential career as a nba talent evaluator isn't gonna happen, hope you took lots of language classes in berkeley

1st day out (the bird must fly)#:hammer:
Shocky1
quick note to all the dumb azzs out there that don't know ****, jabari got a dedicated practice regiment that he does every single day (no days off) of 500+ shots during which he moves in a semicircle around the perimeter after knocking down a certain number of 3 pointers from each spot, he don't move to the next spot until he's drained the minimum at each spot...yeah i've watched the bird man do this ****

crooked azz shooting is a choice (not a fate, have you put up your 500+ practice shots today?, the monster is watching)#
caltagjohnson
Shocky1;842853626 said:

bob, let's be real here, your riding around in an evil golf cart at blackhawk, that's not real golf

cartball is kinda like watching rescue dogs ****, that's not shocky's deal (adopting rescue dogs is the real deal if you got a heart)

golf carts are for losers (if you can't walk that's probably a clue you need a yoga/meditation practice):nono:#

Shocky. Shocky. We are required to ride the evil carts. You are not allowed to walk these courses. If I could, I would. Sorry, yoga is not my thing. I work out with a VIPR. You can find it on Google.
NVBear78
Love it! Trash talk from two of my favorite Old Blue's. Mayweather and McGregor have nothing on you two!
petalumabear
NVBear78;842853659 said:

Love it! Trash talk from two of my favorite Old Blue's. Mayweather and McGregor have nothing on you two!

Exactly 78. A short, blue high topped, balding blow hard getting schooled by an 82 year old with a ponytail just set my night on the right path. Time for a good Ridge Lytton Springs Zin to laugh this exchange into the night. Bravo Bob!!
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Jabari Bird with a +22[/SIZE]

Bryce Alford with a -19

HoopDreams
[video=youtube;ai_-U6Iw8lg][/video]
First Page Last Page
Page 174 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.