cal's monster class deux

1,375,910 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
roqmoq
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Polodad;842859022 said:

Bill,

Sorry to read this post. I will miss your witty contributions. Your posts were the first I looked for when logging on. Go Bears!

Bill,

I came to this Board in late 2014 to stay up on recruiting. Found your contributions very helpful. Also went to the Monster first whenever logging on. Don't lose your enthusiasm on the court and I'll be by to say hello during the upcoming season.
going4roses
Hmm no more shocky ? Whoa Damn
bearister
Me thinks he would find giving up smoking easier than giving up this crack.
BeggarEd

/thread
calfanz
BeggarEd;842859601 said:

/thread

At least with his posts we got some legitimate info

With yours? Not so much
brawlinho
What a bunch of oversensitive people with first world problems to get this riled up about posts that were informative, funny, sometimes caustic (it was always two way traffic) and irreverent. What's the big deal with human body that so many people get so offended by pictures of it. So damn puritanical and hypocritical. I had my disagreements with Bill but this board is a whole lot less informative and interesting without him on it. Will be checking in here a whole lot less. This site is about to become USA today.
Chapman_is_Gone
Since people are apparently going to continue to bump this thread instead of letting it fade, I'll add my opinion.

I am very happy the poster is apparently gone. I am embarrassed to share university affiliation with him. His thread had occasional interesting information in it, but clearly had a negative impact on the vitality of the basketball board as a whole. For those of you who found his literally never ending repetitve shtick entertaining, I seriously question how you graduated from Cal.

That's it, I will say nothing more on this topic, since calling this poster out when he got out of line (eg, when he attacked the character and intelligence of 17 and 18 year olds) got me in trouble with the prior administration. I will try to be positive and add interesting content when I can.
OldBlue1999
Chapman_is_Gone;842859643 said:

I am very happy the poster is apparently gone. I am embarrassed to share university affiliation with him. His thread had occasional interesting information in it, but clearly had a negative impact on the vitality of the basketball board as a whole. For those of you who found his literally never ending repetitve shtick entertaining, I seriously question how you graduated from Cal.

bearister
OldBlue1999;842859668 said:

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue."
BearNecessities
going4roses;842859561 said:

Hmm no more shocky ? Whoa Damn

That's only by his choice. It's just whatever components of his thread that violate rules that are no more, but there's been no explanation (to us) of what that is.
Jeff82
I just hope that the admins will allow their staff to post a reasonable amount of recruiting information on this board in Bill's absence. If one were conspiratorially minded, one might argue that they wanted him off the board because his contacts and reporting competed with what the BI staff could get, and therefore provided less incentive for people to subscribe to get the additional information. As for the other content that people complained about, I'm in the free speech camp, so I don't think that should have been a reason to force him off, just like I think conservatives should be allowed to speak on campus without having their events disrupted.
BearNecessities
Jeff82;842859683 said:

I just hope that the admins will allow their staff to post a reasonable amount of recruiting information on this board in Bill's absence. If one were conspiratorially minded, one might argue that they wanted him off the board because his contacts and reporting competed with what the BI staff could get, and therefore provided less incentive for people to subscribe to get the additional information. As for the other content that people complained about, I'm in the free speech camp, so I don't think that should have been a reason to force him off, just like I think conservatives should be allowed to speak on campus without having their events disrupted.

Once again, since people seem to be struggling with this very basic concept, he wasn't forced off. He just wasn't allowed to keep posting his thread the way he was used to. What hasn't been explained yet is what part of it was the issue. I sincerely doubt that posting publically available info about recruits is off limits, whereas something like posting people's GPA's might be.
dal9
Jeff82;842859683 said:

I just hope that the admins will allow their staff to post a reasonable amount of recruiting information on this board in Bill's absence. If one were conspiratorially minded, one might argue that they wanted him off the board because his contacts and reporting competed with what the BI staff could get, and therefore provided less incentive for people to subscribe to get the additional information.

Glad I wasn't the first to say it.

As far as Chapman, you're an Arizona fan, what are you on about?
Chapman_is_Gone
dal9;842859766 said:

Glad I wasn't the first to say it.

As far as Chapman, you're an Arizona fan, what are you on about?

I've been a die-hard Cal fan since 1990 and a donor for the past five years. You have me confused with someone else. I've been on this board for 15+ years. Arizona? Laughable. I hate the desert, actually. A better question is: who are you?
parentswerebears
Damn. This board got me bored. Shocky may not have always had a lot of useful things to say, but they were always entertaining.
Jeff82
BearNecessities;842859684 said:

Once again, since people seem to be struggling with this very basic concept, he wasn't forced off. He just wasn't allowed to keep posting his thread the way he was used to. What hasn't been explained yet is what part of it was the issue. I sincerely doubt that posting publically available info about recruits is off limits, whereas something like posting people's GPA's might be.

Well, I don't think anything he was posting could be considered obscene, nor do I think any of it was libelous, since basketball coaches are clearly public figures, and a lot of what he was posting could also be considered fair comment. However, since this is a privately-owned website, the owners have the right to do whatever they want, nor do they have to explain it, which I suspect they won't. On the other hand, not being transparent opens the door to random speculation, as in my previous comment. The proof will be in the content they provide.
BeachedBear
Jeff82;842859894 said:

Well, I don't think anything he was posting could be considered obscene, nor do I think any of it was libelous, since basketball coaches are clearly public figures, and a lot of what he was posting could also be considered fair comment. However, since this is a privately-owned website, the owners have the right to do whatever they want, nor do they have to explain it, which I suspect they won't. On the other hand, not being transparent opens the door to random speculation, as in my previous comment. The proof will be in the content they provide.

Time to let this overly long thread die (makes me wonder why I'm even posting this). Personally, I loved Shocky's basketball stuff. His recruiting 'insight' actually seemed about 50-50. As for his shtick and pics and videos, I am enlightened enough to self censor and found much of it entertaining, if not basketball related. His personal attacks on other posters, often went beyond humor (although most of it was simply funny). IMHO, his hyper focus on personal details of a minor that was not affiliated with a university was WAY OVERBOARD!. If it was my kid, I would have taken whatever action legal or extralegal needed to silence the SOB.

You just don't mess with the kids!
joe amos yaks
BeachedBear;842859902 said:

Time to let this overly long thread die (makes me wonder why I'm even posting this). Personally, I loved Shocky's basketball stuff. His recruiting 'insight' actually seemed about 50-50. As for his shtick and pics and videos, I am enlightened enough to self censor and found much of it entertaining, if not basketball related. His personal attacks on other posters, often went beyond humor (although most of it was simply funny). IMHO, his hyper focus on personal details of a minor that was not affiliated with a university was WAY OVERBOARD!. If it was my kid, I would have taken whatever action legal or extralegal needed to silence the SOB.

...just don't mess with the kids!

+1
UrsaMajor
BeachedBear;842859902 said:

You just don't mess with the kids!

My view is that I found the softcore pix to be puerile and adolescent, but to each his own. The self-aggrandizement was annoying and pathetic, but didn't keep me from reading for the occasional tidbit regarding recruiting. However, the attacks on high school kids for their grades or school choice was beyond the pale. More importantly, if, in fact, he was getting the information from these recruits directly, he was flirting with a serious NCAA violation. Since he contributes to Cal athletics, he qualifies as a booster according to the NCAA, and most direct contact between boosters and recruits is verboten.
Civil Bear
As an occasional lurker, this thread just got WAY better.
bearister
Since Jeremy Renner's thread got hijacked can he hijack this Shocky testimonial thread?
6956bear
parentswerebears;842859891 said:

Damn. This board got me bored. Shocky may not have always had a lot of useful things to say, but they were always entertaining.

Oh poor Shocky. He will be fine. After all life is not linear. He is probably off working the "Lisbon Plan" somewhere and walking a links course with a couple of flat stomach yoga brunettes and then will go stand on his head while they take a picture. Hopefully he is texting all the players to shoot 500 shots per day so they no longer have crooked azz shooting and to not be a dumb azz because of course they do not already know this.
Polodad
Seems like we have some first class trolling going on trying to suck the Shockster back.😇 I don't think he is going to bite.
parentswerebears
I don't think he will either. My hope is that this site will get more informational since it is now less entertaining. So far, it has a little bit. But we will see if that lasts. If not, then I may jet too.
califortunate
Don't know the particulars around new site owner(s) deciding to (further) censor Bill.
But strikes me as ill-conceived if they have any commercial ambition(s).
Don't have the stats to back up this claim.
But would guess the 2 monster threads have been, by some multiple, the most widely read on BI.
Have always been skeptical that many recruits or players read it.
No way to prove either way.
But also kinda surprised that anyone got so agitated.
It's a Cal fan group who post and lurk here.
We are severely damaged.
Bill is not just a super fan.
He reveals a lot about himself.
And does it to be entertaining.
If you really hate the monster, why the hell would you read it?
The first place I go when I come onto the site is the monster.
Would expect many others are exact same.
So I would think that Bill would gladly return if the new owner(s) had the same philosophy as the old owner(s).
I haven't always agreed w Bill.
But he's authentic and a devoted Cal guy.
Lose the monster and lots of premium subscribers (myself included) will check out.
If you read this Bill (and I assume you will), my hope is that you come back to amuse and entertain those of us who enjoy your shtick.
For those of you who are overjoyed that Bill is currently out, I think you may have some serious gaps in the rest of your lives.
It's a freaking sports website for a college that has been almost singularly inept in both hoops and football since 1960.
So of course we have some folks who are not likely curable.
But censoring Bill will not ease your pain...
oskidunker
Maybe Blueblood can create Monster Thresd #3,though O doubt it will be as good as Shocky.
Yogi58
califortunate;842860020 said:

Lose the monster and lots of premium subscribers (myself included) will check out.
If you read this Bill (and I assume you will), my hope is that you come back to amuse and entertain those of us who enjoy your shtick.

Really? You'd base your decision to subscribe or not based on your ability to read a schtick that is incredibly repetitive and not all that clever just for the occasional nuggets hidden inside?

Personally, I think it's incredibly lame (but not all that surprising given the poster's history) that he would pick up his ball and refuse to post at all with the other fans just because he can't post semi-naked women or tell other people they're stupid or personal message them whenever he gets in a disagreement with someone. If he was a real fan, he'd make normal posts like everyone else and be content with that. But he apparently values the schtick above all else.

I'd rather get accurate information, uncolored by personal bias, and absent all the other nonsense.
califortunate
Don't like it; don't read it.
Your problem solved.

Monster thread has had over 3 million hits.
Have any other threads gotten anything even close?

And yes I will cancel premium if he's not posting.
By far, the monster shtick is most entertaining part of BI.
NYCGOBEARS
califortunate;842860029 said:

Don't like it; don't read it.
Your problem solved.

Monster thread has had over 3 million hits.
Have any other threads gotten anything even close?

And yes I will cancel premium if he's not posting.
By far, the monster shtick is most entertaining part of BI.

Lots of premium subscribers will check out? The Monster is the only reason for being here? Why don't you just send Shocky your $9.99/month directly? If you want to pay for that content, go ahead. Otherwise, be a Cal fan and contribute. Plenty of smart, informative and amusing posts here despite Shocky's absence. This is a community, not a cult of personality blog.
NVGolfingBear
Yogi Bear;842860026 said:

I'd rather get accurate information, uncolored by personal bias, and absent all the other nonsense.

Still looking forward to any information. At least Bill kept the info up front in our consciousness. Nothing much now, Just saying.
SFBearz
Yogi Bear;842860026 said:

Really? You'd base your decision to subscribe or not based on your ability to read a schtick that is incredibly repetitive and not all that clever just for the occasional nuggets hidden inside?

Personally, I think it's incredibly lame (but not all that surprising given the poster's history) that he would pick up his ball and refuse to post at all with the other fans just because he can't post semi-naked women or tell other people they're stupid or personal message them whenever he gets in a disagreement with someone. If he was a real fan, he'd make normal posts like everyone else and be content with that. But he apparently values the schtick above all else.

+ 1000
Yogi58
NVGolfingBear;842860033 said:

Still looking forward to any information. At least Bill kept the info up front in our consciousness. Nothing much now, Just saying.

Supposedly the premium membership gets you quite a bit of basketball info. I'm beyond over paying anybody a subscription fee just to have the earliest possible access to info that will ultimately become free once it's published, but if people want to pay $10 a month to get that, it's apparently there as opposed to the prior management who covered football pretty extensively, but very little on basketball up until the moment where someone commits.
SFCityBear
Shocky out. Blueblood back in. Go figure.
NYCGOBEARS
SFCityBear;842860041 said:

Life is not linear.
Yogi58
SFCityBear;842860041 said:

It was the dirty little secret of the Lisbon Plan
First Page Last Page
Page 184 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.