cal's monster class deux

1,376,321 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wyoming cowboys (6-2) broke back mountained 67-60 the colorado christian cougars in a surprisingly close game in freezing azz laramie

louisiana tech bulldogs (5-3) did not rescue or adopt the tired azz the gutty alcorn state braves (2-6) who just finished a ridiculous 4 game roadtrip thru colorado, california & louisiana with zero regards to academic achievement
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]watch out princeton
Cal basketball is bringing out the big guns[/SIZE]

Shocky1
go the **** to sleep, you got a big game tomorrow with those preppy dumb azzs from princeton, who knows maybe the leader of the free world will be there too

hawaii isn't sweater weather

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including the pacific rim)
HoopDreams
Shocky1

the experienced senior led princeton tigers are 2-3 with 2 competitive road losses to byu 82-73 & vcu 81-70, vegas got them as the favorite in this match up at the pearl harbor class

the tigers are led by 6'5" 200 lbs steven cook (13 ppg with 59.5% on field goals), 6'1" 185 lbs devin canady (11.2 ppg & a lethal 48.1% on 3 pointers, the bears gotta know where the shooter is on the court at all times), 6'4" 205 lbs henry caruso (10.6 ppg & 5.4 rpg) & 6'4" 210 lbs spencer weisz (9.8 ppg)

defensively the bears gotta communicate with each other on the floor re: screens & switches, failure to do so will be fatal...cal is 9th in the nation in field goal d holding opponents to 35.8%, this is this team's identity, guys gotta play with focused/disciplined energy & aggression...this game is a good match up for the senior experience of roger, sammy & stephen to shine thru this afternoon

there's no reason that the bears can't dominate on the boards again vs the undersized tigers, cal is 7th in the nation in rebounding margin at 11.3%

offensively the bears gotta feed via entry lob passes both young ivee & the king, they got serious mismatch advantages, both guys gotta demand the ball & impose their will if they want their team to win...waiting for the game to come to them isn't gonna work, the bigs gotta come out ready to compete from the opening tip

but the #1 key to a cal victory today is young ivee not getting in foul trouble, ivan needs to be smart & play the fundamentally sound d that he's been taught by the staff & lou richie back in the day, not reaching with his hands & not leaving his feet when attacked just staying squared up with hands outstretched with a solid base to take the charges

both of these teams got true student athletes that are mentally limitless with academic ambition but only one team is gonna win today's battle at hickman air force base, who wants this more?

let's do this

compete#
bearmanpg
Would be good for the team if they could find some time to attend some of the 75th anniversity, Pearl Harbor day activities...a good look back wouldn't hurt anyone....
concordtom
Shocky1;842774261 said:

both of these teams got true student athletes that are mentally limitless with academic ambition but only one team is gonna win today's battle at hickman air force base, who wants this more?

let's do this

compete#

FYI, It's Hickam.
I got a family member who was there that day and saw the planes fly overhead while he was getting ready for an intramural basketball game that morning. Said he could see the pilots smiling.
He just died 6 months ago.

No doubt there was spelling confusion over the prior recruit Alec Hickman.
Shocky1

left to right, charlie "not quite all grown up" moore, jabari "return of the eagle" bird, grant "the wolf of wall street" mullins, sammy "the bull" singer, kingsley "slam the ******* basketball" okoroh & ivan "one handed crazy azz raider" rabb

you cannot hold this team back, they got mentally tough dna & they compete thru adversity, the bears squads of the last several seasons would have lost this game...these guys love each other & stayed together at the weird azz bloch arena which got low very bright lites & is basically almost an outdoor gym with tradewinds/seagulls blowing thru the huge open doors

defense wins championships, cal held princeton to 29.8% on field goals & 23.1% on 3 pointers, they talked/communicated thru screen packages & also dominated the boards +16

during the 1st half the bears were not assertive settling for late in the shot clock poor shot selection which resulted in 1 of 15 3 pointers, the team was not offensively assertive & did a better job in the 2nd half of executing the offense

it was important to get both the bird & the wolf back in the flow during the 1st half...jabari fell very hard under the basket & got up ok, his back took the blow which is critical in that the staff can no longer potentially blueshirt bird as he's played past the ncca blueshirt maximum 20% game of the season

mama bear is the team's health/spiritual leader, her passion for cal basketball is remarkable...grant's mom theresa & sister melissa (played at harvard) told me they were laughing when i started to call grant the wolf of wall street because then he made a flurry of 3 pointers & free throws, yeah he wasn't selling any junk bonds then just financially stable securities with strong rates of return...coach montgomery & wife sarah montgomery & mike williams also at bloch arena (trust me, it's not an arena, not even sure it's an upgrade over the outdoor court at montera middle school)

can't hold back (compete)#
Shocky1

*****jabari with an outstanding return to action with aggressive d, 13 points on 5-11 field goals (his basket attacking mid range game was lethal) along with 8 boards & only 1 turnover

*****with the seton hall game less than 24 hours away, only 2 guys played 30+ minutes: sammy with a team stabilizing 35 & young ivee with 33...good job by coach martin to keep guys fresh with frequent rotational substitutions for the quick turnaround

*****only 9 turnovers, this team handles the ball exceptionally well & this will continue to be a deciding factor in future close games

*****the king with 4 more blocks & another half a dozen altered shots & also grabbed 5 offensive boards, his basketball iq in knowing (finally) where the ball is gonna bounce is part of his continued development/experience for the king of darby...he's the california golden bears version of a drug free robert upshaw

*****despite playing with literally one hand, young ivee still somehow battled for 11 boards, love this guy

*****water bottles at bloch arena are a buck, slightly less than the ******* 6 dollars i pay at haas pavillon for server delivered h20, gotta stay hydrated

*****the official attendance for today's game was 4024 which is also the official capacity, there were maybe 900 fans for the cal/princeton game which is a good thing because it allows me to clearly communicate my important gameday messages to the guys...gotta be honest with you that's why i love those games in the palouse at washington state too
socaltownie
Shocky1;842774706 said:

left to right, charlie "not quite all grown up" moore, jabari "return of the eagle" bird, grant "the wolf of wall street" mullins, sammy "the bull" singer, kingsley "slam the ******* basketball" okoroh & ivan "one handed crazy azz raider" rabb

you cannot hold this team back, they got mentally tough dna & they compete thru adversity, the bears squads of the last several seasons would have lost this game...these guys love each other & stayed together at the weird azz bloch arena which got low very bright lites & is basically almost an outdoor gym with tradewinds/seagulls blowing thru the huge open doors

defense wins championships, cal held princeton to 29.8% on field goals & 23.1% on 3 pointers, they talked/communicated thru screen packages & also dominated the boards +16

during the 1st half the bears were not assertive settling for late in the shot clock poor shot selection which resulted in 1 of 15 3 pointers, the team was not offensively assertive & did a better job in the 2nd half of executing the offense

it was important to get both the bird & the wolf back in the flow during the 1st half...jabari fell very hard under the basket & got up ok, his back took the blow which is critical in that the staff can no longer potentially blueshirt bird as he's played past the ncca blueshirt maximum 20% game of the season

mama bear is the team's health/spiritual leader, her passion for cal basketball is remarkable...grant's mom theresa & sister melissa (played at harvard) told me they were laughing when i started to call grant the wolf of wall street because then he made a flurry of 3 pointers & free throws, yeah he wasn't selling any junk bonds then just financially stable securities with strong rates of return...coach montgomery & wife sarah montgomery & mike williams also at bloch arena (trust me, it's not an arena, not even sure it's an upgrade over the outdoor court at montera middle school)

can't hold back (compete)#

Yeah - I am SO done with these games. I get that it is nice for service members but it is a crap shoot for teams. I remember (badly) the game they tried to play on the deck of the uss midway with the marine layer leading to multiple slips and spills and many a bricked 3. If you watched the S Hall game as well you could see that the sunlight pouring through the glass was leading to some horrific misses (I counted several air balls on threes shot from the wing).

But yes, this team has guts and a will to win. I think they will surprise a number of the negas on this board.
Shocky1
seton hall pirates (6-2) got their stinky treasure chest stealing hands full 68-57 by the not so peaceful hawaii rainbows...18 turnovers doomed the bows despite the pirates shooting a bears like abysmal 48% 12 of 25 on free throws...too bad the game wasn't a triple overtime deal but the pirates still played 3 of their 7 man rotations 30+ minutes, seton hall don't got a deep bench

#14 ranked virginia cavaliers (8-1) looted & took the booty 76-53 from the east carolina pirates...the staff needs to gameplan vs the cal for the marquee match up at haas pavillon on wednesday december 21st to exploit the bears advantage in the paint with young ivee & the king as virginia is a perimeter centric team

bobby "off to the races" hurley's arizona state sun devils (5-4) got stripper poled 97-64 by the purdue boilermakers in playing virtually no d & getting outboard +16...guess what, basketball is a physical ******* game

arizona wildcats (7-2) are not the dominating rebounding team of past seasons (edged a mid major team 32-30 on the glass) as the donut boy of tuscon led his 2.5 gpa dumb azzs to a 79-57 victory over the pesky uc irvine anteaters...too bad allonzo dnp, guess the ncca don't really believe his peds were asthma medication as argued by the arizona medical/coaching staff in their current unsuccessful appeal to cheat

special k's continued preseason cupcake schedule (all games played in salt lake city) for his utah utes (6-1) as they told the utah state wolverines 87-80 that i believe, i believe, i believe that we will win, i believe that we will win...if you see any people of diversity in this video, i will buy you a new car...white people are funny
[video=youtube;YH65jS-EseQ][/video]
HoopDreams
[SIZE=7][FONT=Lucida Console]the birdman takes flight![/FONT][/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Our Ivy Leaguers are better than their Ivy Leaguers
but wha with the free throw shooting guys? too much mango juice or something?[/SIZE]

LOUMFSG2
Shocky1;842774736 said:

special k's continued preseason cupcake schedule (all games played in salt lake city) for his utah utes (6-1) as they told the utah state wolverines 87-80 that i believe, i believe, i believe that we will win, i believe that we will win...if you see any people of diversity in this video, i will buy you a new car...white people are funny
[video=youtube;YH65jS-EseQ][/video]

I like the Utah State "I Believe" cheer, but I think Utah played Utah Valley tonight, not Utah State.
Shocky1
LOUMFSG2;842774775 said:

I like the Utah State "I Believe" cheer, but I think Utah played Utah Valley tonight, not Utah State.

lou, let's be real clear here, i'm a big fan of utah but as we are continuing to try to strive to make the cal monster class better & figure out jobs we need to create education better so we can solve this problem, ok?

don't be a dumb azz#:cheer
Shocky1
[video=youtube;Jaq9ANpGD04][/video]
Shocky1
MilleniaBear;842774724 said:

I don't get how singer n Mullins don't shoot better. It's just weird that half the guys in intramurals hit free throws at a better % than they do.

it's just weird that guys who don't actually go to the games don't understand that flying from toronto to honolulu after a death in the family might affect your shooting on a borderline outdoor court with funky lighting

grant's mom & sister told me he was a little tired after the grueling all day travel to the islands but that he was glad to see his teammates again

the wolf of wall street#
rkt88edmo
Shocky1;842774797 said:

it's just weird that guys who don't actually go to the games don't understand that flying from toronto to honolulu after a death in the family might affect your shooting on a borderline outdoor court with funky lighting

grant's mom & sister told me he was a little tired after the grueling all day travel to the islands but that he was glad to see his teammates again

the wolf of wall street#

I'm sure they all passed on playing D1 ball so they could just focus on academics, because its just putting a ball through a hoop, I mean, how challenging is that?
south bender
Shocky1;842774797 said:

the wolf of wall street#

Ah, so we who have the capability regularly to attend Cal home games automatically have a superior understanding, as the humble shockster has demonstrated here, denied to all the naughty fans who do not regularly attend games at Haas.

Aren't we fortunate!
HoopDreams
Shocky1
south bender;842774807 said:

Ah, so we who have the capability regularly to attend Cal home games automatically have a superior understanding, as the humble shockster has demonstrated here, denied to all the naughty fans who do not regularly attend games at Haas.

Aren't we fortunate!

this is 100% accurate, those who watch cal basketball exclusively on tv have a lesser understanding of what's really going on than those who actually attend cal basketball games in person

along those lines i have very little interest in those that have opinions but have never played the new cape wickham design than those that have actually traveled to king island australia & played multiple times the epic short par 4 1st hole

pontificating about the pluses (its kinda tasty with extra grilled onions) & minuses (you will eventually have a massive coronary stroke & die a slow painful death) of top dog if you've never set foot on durant street in berkeley california is a fool's errand too

do you got your tix(s) for the barricade on wednesday december 21st at 7:00 pm to celebrate the magic of cal basketball?

the time is now#
Shocky1

seton hall is 6-2 this season with a 91-83 victory over iowa & losses to florida 81-76 & stanford 66-52...last season the pirates were 25-9 but then isaiah whitehead declared early for the nba draft, they would've been a preseason top 10 team if he had returned to school just like cal would have been if jaylen brown had returned to berkeley

the pirates are led by explosive 6'4" 195 lbs brooklyn native khadeen carrington (20.8 ppg including an unreal 57.6% on 3 pointers, he's gonna get paid next year & the bears gotta know where the shooter is at all times on the court), 6'6" 215 lbs bronx native desi rodriguez (14.5 ppg & 7.3 rpg), 6'2" 205 lbs myles powell (13.4 ppg) & 6'10" 240 lbs angel delgado (13.3 ppg & 10.8 rpg)

seton hall is not a deep team, they got a 7 player rotation with the big 4 listed above taking most of the shots & scoring...the bears gotta be assertive & attack the pirates early with assaults on the basket, they are a diminished team if they get in foul trouble...cal cannot afford to not execute its offense & just settle for low percentage 3 pointers at the end of the shot clock like yesterday's abysmal/out of sync 1st half

cal traveled a much shorter distance than seton hall & has greater depth, if the bears bring fueled up uber helicopter defensive intensity for 40 minutes they will eventually frustrate/wear down the pirates & break their looting treasure chest stealing will to victimize our guys...containing/relentlessly chasing khadeen carrington is the key to a cal victory this afternoon

defense wins championships

let's do this
Shocky1

seton hall injury update: head coach kevin willard has indicated that desi rodriguez will play today after getting a thigh injury in the 2nd half of the hawaii game
oskidunker
What about Lucy?
oskidunker
Too bad we don't have Rooks so we would have 10 fouls to get Delgado to the line.
Shocky1
oskidunker;842774935 said:

Too bad we don't have Rooks so we would have 10 fouls to get Delgado to the line.

agreed, angel delgado knocked down 2 of 10 free throws but dominated the glass with 14 boards vs the bows, the king has gotta stay out of foul trouble
89Bear
Shocky1;842774895 said:

seton hall injury update: head coach kevin willard has indicated that desi rodriguez will play today after getting a thigh injury in the 2nd half of the hawaii game

Will Ivan???
oskidunker
Book it Dano!
Shocky1
89Bear;842775018 said:

Will Ivan???

yes, ivan will compete again today
Shocky1
"basketball game on semi outdoor gym floor with funky azz lighting favor team that shoots basketball from point blank range around basket"
-fortune cookie

Shocky1
part of the magic of cal basketball is that its binds strangers together as friends, that's not gonna happen if you never go the games (turn off the tv)

anthony galang stopped me outside of bloch arena prior to the dramatic marine guard bayonet drill to introduce himself, he's the senior minister at the oahu church of christ & an avid reader (but not poster) on the cal's monster class

enjoyed doing the hang with tony, his sons & his buddy talking about our california golden bears...hope we'll meet again & play golf during the maui classic in 2017

mikecohen
LOUMFSG2;842774775 said:

I'm just floored by the huge crowd and the passion for the rivalry between those two schools (neither of which I ever recall hearing about). For a minute, I thought that it was Duke vs. North Carolina
mikecohen
Shocky1;842774797 said:

the wolf of wall street#

Then why was Grant the LEAST affected by the funky conditions of all the guys?
Shocky1
mikecohen;842775087 said:

Then why was Grant the LEAST affected by the funky conditions of all the guys?

not sure what your talking about, grant had a rough afternoon today
Shocky1

the bears did not play with the energy & assertiveness that is necessary to win against elite competition, the identify of this team is defense & they allowed seton hall to shoot 46.2% on field goals for the game, that's not gonna get the job done for a team that sometimes struggles in half court offensive sets

yeah bloch arena is a funky azz place to play basketball but the 10 missed free throws (some on the front end of 1 & 1's) doomed the bears, not sure why so many of the guys don't shoot practice free throws (or only 1 or 2) doing warm ups when it's so critical in close game

jabari bird is back with 22 points on 9-20 field goals (but only 1 of 8 on 3 pointers) & 9 boards along with relentless intensity on d

sam singer also played well with 6 points on 3-3 field goals along with 3 boards & 2 assists...both coach webster & myself have told sam that he plays at his optimal performance level when he got a **** you up attitude, when's singer is smiling & clapping his hands with a chip on his shoulder he's at his best

so the bears are flying home tomorrow, they will be in berkeley for almost the next 30 days, this will be an opportunity to focus on finals next week & then practice/play basketball without schoolwork obligations for a while...the bears gotta continue to develop chemistry now that most of the parts are finally all back together with ivan, jabari & grant...the staff needs to evaluate the playing rotation & determine what's best for the team on a go forward basis, decisions have also got to made re: whether or not everyone on the roster is gonna continue to have the unlimited green light to shoot 3 pointers in the future

i sat at mid court with airman first class (e-3) raymond who is in his twenties & is finally going to see his young family (wife & daughter nicole who is 4 years old & loves gymnastic) for the 1st time in 4 months next week...i gave him a $100 bucks for a xmas present for nicole along with a hug after the game & told him thank you for defending our country...tim is my hero, he's often putting his life on the line to keep us safe so we can enjoy college basketball

the sun will rise tomorrow but make no mistake about it this team & staff has got a lot of work to do to achieve their significant potential for this season

regroup#
First Page Last Page
Page 59 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.