cal's monster class deux

1,376,127 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
89Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842696781 said:

this isn't 100% a basketball decision

sad day for cal basketball#

Any chance you can elaborate??? Shocking day. A starter who plays big minutes and is expected to be a huge part of a top 25 team decides to leave??? Wow!!
Bobodeluxe
parentswerebears;842696789 said:

Good for Jordan. I hope his master's degree serves him well throughout his life. Sad to see him go, though.

Exactly. Work the system. Graduate, and move on, on someone else's dime. Finally the athletes have some real encouragement to graduate, and power to take the next step.

:cheer
MiZery
89Bear;842696816 said:

Any chance you can elaborate??? Shocking day. A starter who plays big minutes and is expected to be a huge part of a top 25 team decides to leave??? Wow!!

My guess is that he didn't get into grad school
Shocky1
MiZery;842696876 said:

My guess is that he didn't get into grad school

not accurate
Shocky1
Jeff82;842696788 said:

Like I said, if it's an academic opportunity that he doesn't have access to at Cal, I can accept that. Grad transfers for basketball and football are a problem. Ideally, you could give kids a blueshirt opportunity for academic reasons, to give them a better chance to make it in tougher programs, like Des was doing with the golfers. The difficult, as I see it, is that kids have to decide to pursue those routes at a point where they're still thinking NFL/NBA stardom. By the time reality hits, grad opportunities at Cal may be closed off to them academically.

this isn't 100% an academic decision either
Shocky1
jordan mathews is gonna take an extreme classload this summer in order to earn his cal degree & become a graduate transfer...his godfather is an assistant coach at gonzaga, the bears vs zags game in spokane this season is gonna be very weird for a lot of people (myself included)

do not **** wit jordan mathews, sometimes nobody is gonna back down (which is a shame)

real talk (stubborn goats)#
creasy forever#
89Bear
Shocky1;842696914 said:

jordan mathews is gonna take an extreme classload this summer in order to earn his cal degree & become a graduate transfer...his godfather is an assistant coach at gonzaga, the bears vs zags game in spokane this season is gonna be very weird for a lot of people (myself included)

do not **** wit jordan mathews, sometimes nobody is gonna back down (which is a shame)

creasy forever#

"...sometimes nobody is gonna back down(which is a shame)"

Perhaps a conflict between CM and Jordan, two strong personalities?????
NVGolfingBear
89Bear;842696928 said:

"...sometimes nobody is gonna back down(which is a shame)"

Perhaps a conflict between CM and Jordan, two strong personalities?????

...and add in the (stubborn goats) comment and it sure sounds like some personality conflict. Perhaps JM has set ideas on coaching persona based on his experiences with his father and that led to conflicts. Just a WAG...
89Bear
NVGolfingBear;842696933 said:

...and add in the (stubborn goats) comment and it sure sounds like some personality conflict. Perhaps JM has set ideas on coaching persona based on his experiences with his father and that led to conflicts. Just a WAG...

I'm sure Mark Few will do whatever JM needs...
socaltownie
Shocky1;842696905 said:

not accurate

It would have been a very strange grad school application given that he was 3 academic sessions away from graduating and would have had to take his GRE in Spring of his SOPHOMORE year. Asn shocky has pointed out, no easy track for Cal BB grad transfers. And like Shocky - strange to see him playing against "us" in Spokane. But as others have pointed out, rightly the balance of power has swung SLIGHTLY back toward the players. Good for them. They are the ones creating value.
NVBear78
Shocky1;842696906 said:

this isn't 100% an academic decision either

Feels like he got recruited by Gonzaga while still at Cal......not an ethical move if true...
Shocky1
NVBear78;842696978 said:

Feels like he got recruited by Gonzaga while still at Cal......not an ethical move if true...

not a concern, his godfather/gonzaga assistant coach donnie daniels obviously has a preexisting relationship which allows him to freely talk with the mathews family, the zags did not tamper

marcus lee & his older bro bryan reached out to the cal staff while he was still enrolled in kentucky, that's not tampering either
dal9
looking on the bright side, Singer-Bird-Domingo/RMAB-Rabb-KO/Rooks has the physical tools to be a shutdown lineup...potentially a defensive monster...opponents will struggle to break 50 if them guys put the work in...(edit: and if the refs don't call so many bullshyte touch fouls this year)
socaltownie
dal9;842697004 said:

looking on the bright side, Singer-Bird-Domingo/RMAB-Rabb-KO/Rooks has the physical tools to be a shutdown lineup...potentially a defensive monster...opponents will struggle to break 50 if them guys put the work in...(edit: and if the refs don't call so many bullshyte touch fouls this year)

That is what I think. Martin is a defense first guy. I know a lot of BI crying over spilled milk but there is going to be roster turnover with a new coach.
Shocky1
"a sculptor does not add clay to his masterpiece...he chisels off the non essentials"

-jaylen brown, minimalist

https://soundcloud.com/the-tribe-akashic/keep-me-company-feat-master-wendu-tae-haru
Shocky1
marcus lee is visiting washington today, wise to evaluate all options until cleared by cal admissions

Shocky1
marcus lee got a 3.2 gpa at antioch high school & has worked hard in the classroom to be within a semester of graduating from kentucky at the end of 3 years, his academic profile should be strong enough for cal admissions

plus he got good hair & wears sharp glasses (always a sign of extreme intelligence)

SaintBear
Marcus Lee is a good student and a solid basketball player. He'd like to play close to home and he visited Cal yesterday.

Today, though he is up in Washington after failing to commit to Cal on his visit.
NVGolfingBear
Shocky1;842697163 said:

marcus lee got a 3.2 gpa at antioch high school & has worked hard in the classroom to be within a semester of graduating from kentucky at the end of 3 years, his academic profile should be strong enough for cal admissions

plus he got good hair & wears sharp glasses (always a sign of extreme intelligence)

Wait a minute. If he is within 1 semester from graduation from kentucky and assuming (I know) most if not all units transfer over, he will be within 1-2 semesters from graduating at Cal. That's one year. Where is he going to transfer as a grad in 2017? :facepalm
ibelieveNyou
Shocky1;842696914 said:

creasy forever#

Just wondering what are those bball players who are scheduled to earn and graduate in 3 years to do? When no assurance of playing time... some, or at least one, I understand has enough credit to be considered a junior... but whispers are coming to extend out a year... and possible playing time may come your way... Maybe, just maybe JM is/was one of these student athletes... What is or might be policy in this instance..
Shocky1
CalHoopFan;842697164 said:

Marcus Lee is a good student and a solid basketball player. He'd like to play close to home and he visited Cal yesterday.

Today, though he is up in Washington after failing to commit to Cal on his visit.

marcus has got to be accepted by cal admissions, it's not like an academically mediocre school like oregon where the coaching staff got blank acceptance letters to distribute to anybody who got a ged or strong letter of referral from their probation officer
Jeff82
ibelieveNyou;842697245 said:

Just wondering what are those bball players who are scheduled to earn and graduate in 3 years to do? When no assurance of playing time... some, or at least one, I understand has enough credit to be considered a junior... but whispers are coming to extend out a year... and possible playing time may come your way... Maybe, just maybe JM is/was one of these student athletes... What is or might be policy in this instance..

They are free to take additional classes, even enough to qualify for a second major. In may day, you had to have 180 units to graduate. 15 units a quarter, three quarters a year, four years. As I recall, after 220 units, you got kicked out, even if you were willing to pay to continue.

As I said in the other thread, if Matthews is leaving primarily for academic reasons, I have no problem with it. If he's leaving primarily for basketball reasons, it's an instance of disloyalty to the basketball program. I believe the graduate rule is being abused and should be changed.
BerkeleyBAT
Shocky1;842697254 said:

marcus has got to be accepted by cal admissions, it's not like an academically mediocre school like oregon where the coaching staff got blank acceptance letters to distribute to anybody who got a ged or strong letter of referral from their probation officer

Ok THAT was good!
Shocky1
ibelieveNyou;842697245 said:

i think that the oski policy would apply under these circumstances whereby a student athlete of epic academic ambition & talent that truly loved his teammates & coaches (including any stubborn goats) with no assurances of playing time whereby every time they entered the game true california golden bears would scream & cheer with reckless abandonment that is usually reserved for curvy brunette yoga females and/or young ivee throwdowns (but let's be real here, cal was the worst ******* passing particularly entry/lob passes team in college basketball last season)
Shocky1
NVGolfingBear;842697206 said:

Wait a minute. If he is within 1 semester from graduation from kentucky and assuming (I know) most if not all units transfer over, he will be within 1-2 semesters from graduating at Cal. That's one year. Where is he going to transfer as a grad in 2017? :facepalm

let's be real here, if the bears don't feed an open & flashing young ivee down low in the paint this season, then in 2017 ivan, marucs lee & myself are all gonna transfer to tami rabb's school, them sacramento state hornets...and yeah, we're all gonna take yoga/meditation classes too

sacramento state's monster class#
Shocky1
why would i pack my bags for sacramento state?

them stubborn dumb azz coaches are playing favorites, don't **** wit me
Bobodeluxe
Shocky1;842697259 said:

i think that the oski policy would apply under these circumstances whereby a student athlete of epic academic ambition & talent that truly loved his teammates & coaches (including any stubborn goats) with no assurances of playing time whereby every time they entered the game true california golden bears would scream & cheer with reckless abandonment that is usually reserved for curvy brunette yoga females and/or young ivee throwdowns (but let's be real here, cal was the worst ******* passing particularly entry/lob passes team in college basketball last season)

Coaches decision to play without a point guard.
Shocky1

congrats to 2017 fast emerging 6'4" 190 juhwan harris-dyson of heritage christian high school (academically focused school with 600 students in north hills) & earl watson elite teammate/friend of cal commit jemarl baker & cal priority target ira lee

juhwan is long & athletic and has the potential to be a contributing pac 12 utility guard with continued improvement on his shooting...last season he averaged 14.7 ppg, 13.6 rpg, 2.9 apg, 2.8 spy & 2.3 tpg for the heritage christian warriors

watch the video belong of harris-dyson, he got a lotta energy, opponents tryna drain him of his synergy, not gonna happen

[video=youtube;cRMXRlwMCTw][/video]

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including so cal)
Shocky1
kinda wondering if when the coaches scout that earl watson elite team this summer if juhwan always got a circle around him (that's gotta be a problem when he takes a bathroom break)

i dunno never seen that before, maybe he got super powers or something

HoopDreams

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]master distributor [/SIZE]

[video=youtube;TJvxwhvnhzI][/video]

Shocky1
watch the video above of charlie moore, he successfully facilitated more entry/lob passes to his morgan park bigs in this game than the bears did for young ivee during the entire last season

ivan, kam & the king=2016/2017 seal & finish
Shocky1
Shocky1;842693603 said:

in a remarkable turn of events chancellor nicky d & his crew have asked me to serve on the 2016 cal dance & cheerleading selection committee...yoga/mediation practices & gpas will be among the critical criteria utilized in the selection process

civic duty#:rant

with marcus lee's application/transcripts currently being evaluated for potential acceptance into the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world, my boy nicky d & his crew have also asked me to analyze & reorganize cal's bureaucratic admissions department

so here's what gonna happen, a new streamlined questionnaire for potential incoming cal students:

*****what's your name? (+10 points if it matches the same name as the transcripts, +50 if the name includes any variation of cal (like callahan), oski or berkeley)

*****are you a dumb azz? (+15 points if yes, self awareness of one's areas of weakness is invaluable for future growth)

*****are you mentally limitless with academic ambition like jaylen brown? (+15 points if yes)

*****have you ever been convicted of a felony? (+20 points if no, if yes application will be redirected to criminal dana altman)

*****do you know how to read books & **** like that (+20 points if yes, if no application will be redirected to arizona)

*****if you got 4 rescue dogs & 2 rescue cats, how many paws are up if trouble & minko stinko are riding a blue & gold raft in the swimming pool on a warm summer day? (+ or -25 points depending upon the complexity of a cogent response)

*****do you got good hair like ira lee and/or are you the 1st person in your family to attend college? (+40 points if yes)

*****who's better, drake or meek mill? (+50 points for responding with interpol)

*****what do you hope to find over the rainbow? (+ or - 60 points depending upon one's sense of helping those less fortunate/the community)

*****you got a free weekend, how are you gonna spend it? (+ or - 75 points depending upon any references to a yoga/meditation practice)

*****have you every tom a hawk dunked over ivan rabb or jordan brown in aau ball and/or will you get season tix(s) for cal basketball (+75 points if yes)

*****do you think you are smarter than nick hamilton (-90 if the answer is yes, nobody is smarter than nick, he's the smartest bear of them all)

*****are you a curvy brunette yoga female with a flat stomach (+100 points if yes)

*****do you play video games instead of reading books in your spare time (-100 points if yes)
note: this question will ultimately result in the complete elimination of the cal basketball program because of the absolute inability to field a team

flat stomachs (and high gpas) matter#
Shocky1
don't believe the spin coming out of berkeley that jordan mathews intention to take an extreme summer school workload in order to become a graduate senior transfer is not related to the cal staff passing on his little bro jonah...the cal basketball program is unique with its family atmosphere, it was a mistake to not relentlessly recruit & sign the very talented & strong academically jonah mathews

in speaking with multiple sources, my assessment is that phil mathews (who is the original hard azz) is understandably very disappointed with that recruiting decision & his anger has fueled his son jordan's perception that the coaching staff plays favorites & that this season was just a nba audition for some guys...and yeah, as the pac 12's best 3 point shooter i'm in total agreement that creasy should have been encouraged (and not discouraged) to take more shots

mike williams should be demonstrating leadership with this crisis & getting all (except jordan's opportunistic godfather) the stubborn goats in the same room to air all the differences of opinions, find common ground & discuss potential solutions

coach martin could apologize for passing on jonah mathews who is a more athletic version of jordan

jordan could apologize to the coaches for sometimes being less than respectful & a smart azz

until jordan completes the killer summer courseload & earns his cal degree, there is always time for everybody to reconsider this emotionally driven decision & for jordan to play his final season of eligibility for cal with the air cleared off the court & much better ball movement and scoring opportunities (j mat could lead the pac 12 in scoring for the bears next season) for him on the court

my hope is that trust & respect can be rebuilt, can't we all just get along?

Shocky1;842675275 said:

while i agree/understand the staff's goal of recruiting more of a defensively physical (with length) housing projects **** you up bad azz type of player, time has been wasted with low gpa prospects that don't really got academic ambition like oscar frayer, davon dillard, tyson jolly & jordan cornish...the staff then gets frustrated with cal admissions but that's ********, you shouldn't be recruiting academically borderline red flag student athletes to the #1 ranked public university in the world & then acting like a bunch of sorry azz broken down victims when it doesn't work out, ok?

meanwhile the staff has passed on highly skilled but slight of build true student athletes like jonah mathews & jordan ford who rock 3.5 gpas:headbang

let's be real here, i'm directly responsible for the cal basketball program's recruiting (i almost singlehandedly recruited cal's monster class along with both ivan & jaylen), gameday strategic game planning (the failure to feed young ivee down low happened on my watch this season, i'm not proud of that) & haas pavilion attendance growth (which at a 25.2% increase this season will potentially be #1 in the nation for college basketball growth)...so it's understandable for me to wonder why coach martin doesn't consult me an almost daily basis instead of keeping me further afar re: all academic fit questions re: prospective student athletes

i'm here to help, i'm a problem solver...plus i got a yoga practice

wake the **** up (let's get to work, baby, sleep is for losers)#
concordtom
So as much as I love jordan, he can't become the head coach, making demands for who starts, minutes and gets shots, let alone scholarships.
Therefore, Watson, your proposal sucks.
First Page Last Page
Page 6 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.