cal's monster class deux

1,376,060 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would have liked lil bro to get the look, but have no idea of the internal view, on many levels.
Shocky1

creasy in the haas#
Shocky1

https://vimeo.com/45797764
petalumabear
If it's all about one player, or one players immediate family, the coaching have to make the Right decision as they see it. Not as someone's dad sees it (whether he is/was a coach) ... This situation sounds borderline dysfunctional and if true, Jordan's departure is the correct solution.
calfanz
Any chance Phil Matthews thought he should be a candidate to replace our friend Yanni, and when he wasn't considered--decided to take his toys and play elsewhere?

Just a theory but seems plausible
89Bear
Shocky1;842697648 said:

don't believe the spin coming out of berkeley that jordan mathews intention to take an extreme summer school workload in order to become a graduate senior transfer is not related to the cal staff passing on his little bro jonah...the cal basketball program is unique with its family atmosphere, it was a mistake to not relentlessly recruit & sign the very talented & strong academically jonah mathews

in speaking with multiple sources, my assessment is that phil mathews (who is the original hard azz) is understandably very disappointed with that recruiting decision & his anger has fueled his son jordan's perception that the coaching staff plays favorites & that this season was just a nba audition for some guys...and yeah, as the pac 12's best 3 point shooter i'm in total agreement that creasy should have been encouraged (and not discouraged) to take more shots

mike williams should be demonstrating leadership with this crisis & getting all (except jordan's opportunistic godfather) the stubborn goats in the same room to air all the differences of opinions, find common ground & discuss potential solutions

coach martin could apologize for passing on jonah mathews who is a more athletic version of jordan

jordan could apologize to the coaches for sometimes being less than respectful & a smart azz

until jordan completes the killer summer courseload & earns his cal degree, there is always time for everybody to reconsider this emotionally driven decision & for jordan to play his final season of eligibility for cal with the air cleared off the court & much better ball movement and scoring opportunities (j mat could lead the pac 12 in scoring for the bears next season) for him on the court

my hope is that trust & respect can be rebuilt, can't we all just get along?

Moraga, do you have thoughts on this???
stu
Biggest day of the year in Tuscon!
[URL="http://krispykreme.com/NationalDoughnutDay"][COLOR="#0000FF"]NationalDoughnutDay[/COLOR][/URL]
Shocky1
calfanz;842697806 said:

Any chance Phil Matthews thought he should be a candidate to replace our friend Yanni, and when he wasn't considered--decided to take his toys and play elsewhere?

Just a theory but seems plausible

no, phil mathews (and his sons) was understandably disappointed when the staff passed on jonah but it wasn't about personal gain (employment) for him
Shocky1
[IMG]http://cache.cecinewyork.com/images/cecistyle/issues/v218/great-escapes/mandarin_oriental_new_york_city_manhattan_hotel_v218_ge_4.jp g[/IMG]

happy birthday, taylor, glad we're spending it together...the shared chocolate fudge sundae with decadent whip cream at big gay ice cream in the east village was perfect on a beautiful summer evening on the island...some of my favorite memories of us are after cal basketball games sharing a dessert in our favorite city on the left coast...someday you will better understand the importance of finding shared activities that truly bond parents with their children, it's wildly improbable but you & i have done that thru the magic of cal basketball

love you, sweetie

yeah, them california golden bears also got special memories of manhattan too

[video=youtube;_wDVF0Hlfj4][/video]
Shocky1
kj hymes just picked up an offer from oklahoma & is also recruited by local arizona, asu & grand canyon but has indicated a strong interest in all the california schools, a potential future cal offer would be very attractive to him

hymes is definitely on the staff's radar playing this summer for the las vegas prospects as the bears are all in on troy brown jr & actively recruiting oshae brissett, charlie o'bannon is no longer on the radar (strong ucla lean)

kj is the best prospect from the state of arizona in terms of both basketball & academic upside, i'll be attending a st marys game this winter with taylor & her friends (maybe they'll even sit by me but maybe not) to check out the talented shot blocker

Shocky1;842630041 said:

cal is actively recruiting 6'9" 180 lbs kj hymes from st mary's high school in phoenix...coach martin watched kj several times this summer

hymes is a relentless rebounder & shotblocker, he will continue to fill out his lanky frame & would benefit in the future from coach christopher's world class s&c program...he currently plays on the wing with a nice shooting touch from the perimeter & it's expected he will further develop his back to the basket post game as he builds up his body

coach hufnagel is kj's lead recruiter for the bears

kj's dad kwame hymes sr played basketball for pepperdine in the mid 1990s & emphasizes both athletic & academic achievement...st mary's is an academically strong college preparatory school

kj already has multiple offers from high d1 programs & took an unofficial visit to arizona last october, it's not known if the donut boy of tucson told him about the wildcats highly acclaimed pool maintenance major that has an excellent placement rate for their grads

yeah, kj hymes would be a strong addition to cal's started at the bottom class (2018)

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including arizona)
Shocky1
so 3 card marvin just wished taylor a happy b-day & got her a rose with a note on our way out the front door to breakfast by the park...yeah, slipped him a lincoln

as the world turns#

Shocky1;842407246 said:

3 card marvin at the front desk of my hotel calls this morning with the requested 4:30 am wake up call so i can catch an early morning flight from jfk to sfo in time for today's big game after our epic victory over syracuse on the greatest stage on earth, madison square garden...i tell marvin i'm in a hurry & if he can line up a taxi for me in 5-10 minutes...he tells me sure, no problem, he'll take care of it himself

get downstairs, check out & sure enough hustling marvin's got the taxi ready to roll & the door open for me...so i slide smooth marvin a fiver & he gives me a sly thank you with a nod of the head as he closes the door to the taxi

so we are driving the deserted streets of manhattan & as we cross broadway sayeed the cab driver lets me know that marvin shook him down for $5 in order to keep the coveted airport run...i tell sayeed no problem, i'm gonna take care of him

15 minutes later as we cross thru a toll sayeed is telling me that toll doesn't automatically charge him, that's gonna be a $5 extra charge...sure sayeed, whatever

gotta love nyc...i don't got no worries, i'm gonna charge you 5 bucks for reading this post

city never sleep#
concordtom
News Flash:
Happy Birthday to Taylor, who celebrated by enjoying a fluffy whipped cream heart attack inducing donut dish at Gay's in Manhattan. She will (maybe) be attending St. Mary's hs next fall, no word yet on whether the school's star basketball player is going to ask her to prom.

No matter, she can always go sit by daddy, who loves her very much and will always be there with open arms. She should know that is worth a lot more than the frozen donut. I'm sure she does.
Congrats to the lovely couple. Enjoy your stay.
Shocky1
2017 sharpshooter jordan schakel scored 19 points on a scorching 70.6% field goals as team cal won a 1st round game at the pagnos all american camp at cerritos college

jordan's current 3 finalists are cal, usc & san diego state...jemarl & jordan on the floor at the same time would kinda be like seth & klay playing together, except the guys in the golden bears uniforms would only have zeros in their bank accounts not like the millions in them other guys vaults

Shocky1;842604832 said:

jordan schakel

the bears staff is actively recruiting bishop montgomery 2017 dynamic 3 point shooting 6'5" 180 lbs jordan schakel

jordan got a 4.3 gpa, dude is almost as smart as nick hamilton (let's be real here, nobody is smarter than nick although a lot of guys dress & shave better than him)

schakel is being coached up by longtime highly respected so cal basketball head coach doug mitchell...i met mitchell at the oakland airport on the rental car rental shuttle bus after he traveled north in support of his former player justin cobbs senior day game...mitchell places a strong emphasis upon academics & his relationships with his student athletes extends beyond their time in torrance...we talked about richard solomon who also played for mitchell before transferring to price high school with the misguided hopes of playing less with his back to the basket & more as a stretch 4 (solo was a career .571 free throw % shooter during his 4 years at cal)

in that both of ethan's parents graduated from usc, the question in his recruitment is does he want to go away for college to the beautiful san francisco bay area to the #1 ranked public university in the world?

crazy knights#
Shocky1

good not great (kinda like last season cal basketball)#
Shocky1

Shocky1
yeah, iggy is from australia too

down under#
Shocky1
charlie, grant & dontae (the 3 loco amigos) are all gonna meet up in cali later this month for cal's summer bridge program which is gonna focus on throwing successful entry/lob passes to young ivee/kam/king & maybe books & **** like that

but who knew that moore is really 12 years old?...and yeah don't be believing coach webster's spin that he's a baby faced killer, that's not true at all

summer of 16#
Shocky1
if you actually read charlie's press clippings carefully you will note that he was not named the best high school player in illinois, he was named the best 12 year old student athlete (3.86 gpa) at the little hands learning center on 111th street

sorry but that's a big ******* difference

don't be a dumb azz#
Shocky1
and the vote at the little hands learning center was split, a lot of the staff thought kyra, a 11 year soccer whiz with a 3.94 gpa & cute pigtails, should've actually received the sports mvp trophy
Shocky1
cal's monster class exclusive foto taken 2 months ago of charlie (2nd from right, trailing the fast break as usual) & kyra (she got good hair) on the playground

most fans don't know this but the mac irvin fire is actually chicago's #1 aau feeder program for tutor time

small ball/lineup#
Shocky1
it appears that marvin bagley is looking to potentially reclassify to the 2017 class which means that jordan brown will then be the #1 ranked player in the galaxy for the 2018 class...and yeah, jordan got a cumulative 3.5 gpa, he's not a dumb azz

Shocky1;842694783 said:

jordan brown has made multiple trips to berkeley for closed practices, football games & basketball games including the epic arizona win at haas pavilion in this foto

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including roseville)

:gobears:
upsetof86
Players with parents who clash with coaches is a difficult situation but unless it's abusive I go with coaches. That's what the recruiting process is for. In the case of JM he was not recruited by CM so it's tough.I know if I were CM and did not like JMs dad I would not want another 4 years of him vis a vis his little brother. All due respect to all involved.
HoopDreams
Shocky1
petalumabear;842697732 said:

If it's all about one player, or one players immediate family, the coaching have to make the Right decision as they see it. Not as someone's dad sees it (whether he is/was a coach) ... This situation sounds borderline dysfunctional and if true, Jordan's departure is the correct solution.

true problem solving moves beyond whose fault it is & assigning blame, that's unproductive

jordan played 1011 minutes last season, the tops on the team, he wasn't stashed away by the coaches at the end of the bench

from the mathews perspective the breaking point was a coach suggesting that he take less shots...as someone who saw virtually every minute of cal basketball live in person last season (except the game in seattle), that makes no sense to me considering creasy's lethal 41.6% on 3 pointers, t-wall's injuries & jaylen's years end shooting slump

all the stubborn goats need to get in a room together & leave the past in the past, find common ground & try to rebuild trust with the hopes of forging a gameplan that works for everybody
Shocky1
who should mediate the jordan mathews stubborn goats process?

*****mike williams, that's the role of a successful athletic director, facilitate communication between all parties (not relying upon 3rd parties to perform these duties)

*****mike montgomery, the original stubborn goat

*****the shockster

*****a curvy brunette yoga female with a placid demeanor & a flat stomach

this really isn't that complicated, a little deep breathing would benefit everybody

namaste#
mikecohen
Shocky1;842698572 said:

true problem solving moves beyond whose fault it is & assigning blame, that's unproductive

jordan played 1011 minutes last season, the tops on the team, he wasn't stashed away by the coaches at the end of the bench

from the mathews perspective the breaking point was a coach suggesting that he take less shots...as someone who saw virtually every minute of cal basketball live in person last season (except the game in seattle), that makes no sense to me considering creasy's lethal 41.6% on 3 pointers, t-wall's injuries & jaylen's years end shooting slump

all the stubborn goats need to get in a room together & leave the past in the past, find common ground & try to rebuild trust with the hopes of forging a gameplan that works for everybody

Shocky channeling Rodney King
socaltownie
Shocky1;842698572 said:

I don't know. You and I would have to sit down and watch endless hours of tape to figure this out.

A) How many of his threes came off assists and how many did not?
B) How many O-boards where generated off his shots and how many where not
C) Critically, how many of his threes generated long rebounds, run outs and fast breaks going the other way.

I think we ALL can agree that a critical issue next year - largely determining the upside of Cal - is the ability to feed Ivan and get him involved and out of foul trouble. I didn't THINK Mathews shots were ill advised but I also think that it is critical on the offensive end that the Bears have full team awareness as they are going to be thin at the PF slot next year and they really need to have Ivan as the number 1 option. Missing Ivan/failing to enter the post/runouts that get him in foul trouble are a bad thing. REALLY bad are early 3s that don't allow rotations back/offensive board chances.
dal9
Shocky1;842698572 said:

from the mathews perspective the breaking point was a coach suggesting that he take less shots...

maybe this whole thing is a dispute about grammar?
(*fewer)
concordtom
Shocky1;842698572 said:

Ok, so you are as unhappy about it as I am! We both love Mathews.
But do you honestly think there's any chance of putting this toothpaste back in the tube?
BearlyCareAnymore
Shocky1;842698572 said:

Taking as truth that this was actually said, well, is it crazy? I certainly wouldn't have reduced Mathews 3 point shots, but on 2 point shots:

Ivan - 61.5%
Okoroh - 60.6%
Rooks - 57.3%
Bird - 52.4%
Ty (he's selfish and shoots too much) - 48.6%
Jaylen (he's hurting the team by hogging shots) - 48.1%
Singer (He can't shoot) - 45.3%
Mathews - 43.2%

That is last among players who took more than 30 2 point shots. So maybe he should have been more selective with those shots.

He lead the team in minutes. He was the third highest scorer on the team behind one guy who will definitely be in the NBA next year and another guy who has a good chance. He is the highest returning scorer. He really has no basis to complain about his role. If he isn't happy with it I only see one stubborn goat here. If he puts things like the honor of being called "starter" (again when he played the most minutes) over the good of the team, he has an issue.

100% behind the coaches on this. If the role he already has won't make him happy then he won't be a positive force on the team.
tsubamoto2001
OaktownBear;842698639 said:

Taking as truth that this was actually said, well, is it crazy? I certainly wouldn't have reduced Mathews 3 point shots, but on 2 point shots:

Ivan - 61.5%
Okoroh - 60.6%
Rooks - 57.3%
Bird - 52.4%
Ty (he's selfish and shoots too much) - 48.6%
Jaylen (he's hurting the team by hogging shots) - 48.1%
Singer (He can't shoot) - 45.3%
Mathews - 43.2%

That is last among players who took more than 30 2 point shots. So maybe he should have been more selective with those shots.

He lead the team in minutes. He was the third highest scorer on the team behind one guy who will definitely be in the NBA next year and another guy who has a good chance. He is the highest returning scorer. He really has no basis to complain about his role. If he isn't happy with it I only see one stubborn goat here. If he puts things like the honor of being called "starter" (again when he played the most minutes) over the good of the team, he has an issue.

100% behind the coaches on this. If the role he already has won't make him happy then he won't be a positive force on the team.

The stats on the 2-point percentage are indicative of finishing ability near the basket, not a strength of JM. Perhaps more 3-point attempts could have been designed for Mathews.

I agree though, that JM has to want to be here. If he doesn't have both feet in, he might as well leave.
Shocky1
dal9;842698625 said:

maybe this whole thing is a dispute about grammar?
(*fewer)

agreed, this whole thing has nothing to do with grad school or basketball, stubborn goats always got to be rite

Shocky1
the janet napolitano gag order has been lifted & coach martin signed his contract (he's now heading into the 3rd year of the 5 year deal) today

do you got your season tix(s) for next season at haas pavilion?

http://my.berkeley.edu/site/MessageViewer?dlv_id=133060&em_id=134492.0

this is cal basketball#
concordtom
concordtom;842698637 said:

Ok, so you are as unhappy about it as I am! We both love Mathews.
But do you honestly think there's any chance of putting this toothpaste back in the tube?

Answer the question, Shirley!!!
Shocky1
concordtom;842698715 said:

Answer the question, Shirley!!!

not gonna happen, jordan is listening to a former assistant basketball coach who has told him that "cal's environment is toxic" & that coach martin doesn't like him...neither of these accusations are true

very disappointed in huf that thru his actions in texting lindsay brauner & badmouthing coach martin he has broken literally every rule of professionalism...yann is blaming cal for his actions & not taking ownership for his unwise decisions, in retrospect he really hasn't learned anything...he's been called on his comments by the cal staff & his reputation within the college basketball community has taken yet another hit
First Page Last Page
Page 7 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.