cal's monster class deux

1,375,652 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom;842708784 said:

But I thought you were "slow-playing" Hickman.
So, which is it? Are you wanting him here or not?

Shocky1;842681066 said:

happy b-day, alec, love your enthusiasm for the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

hope you maximize your time at prep school to build muscle thru the s&c program, continue grinding to improve your basketball skills & most importantly work harder in the class room to raise your gpa to ensure a successful admission & transition to berkeley

nobody became mentally limitless overnight, alec, your journey is all in front of you...you got the 100% support of coach martin & the cal staff

let's do this

update: brandon chauca recently had the year end meeting that coach martin has with every player & coach asked him how he would feel if he never got off the bench next season...brandon told him that he's gonna work so hard & consistently knock down 3 pointers that coach won't have a choice but to play him

coach martin will also hopefully have a similar meeting in the near future with alec hickman focusing on 3 areas:

***academics: how did alec do this last semester of his senior year, did he achieve at least a 3.5+ gpa?...his overall borderline 3.0 gpa makes him a potential non acceptance risk with cal admissions...the staff frustrated oscar frayer, davon dillard, tyson jolly & jordan cornish and themselves (acting like a victim because of your own poor decisions is a clown's errand) by recruiting guys who weren't gonna be accepted at cal because of substandard academics

***s&c development: how much good weight/strength has hickman put on since his commitment, is he building the body to compete as a pac 12 level athlete?

***basketball skills: alec was named to the orange county's 4th team as a senior, is he developing the shooting, ball handling & defensive skills to be a contributor for the cal basketball program?

asking hickman to attend prep school for a year if he truly isn't a cal fit isn't fair to the young man, there is still time for him to sign with a less academically challenging low mid major program that he can earn playing time

if alec is making the necessary positive steps to be a contributor to the cal basketball program & is willing to accept his role in the future, then we'll look forward to seeing hickman in berkeley in 2017

alec hickman is showing signs of improvement this summer both in becoming more of a vocal leader & knocking down 3 pointers (yesterday's 5 3 pointers reflects his continued improvement)...he is by all accounts an unselfish team player without a sense of entitlement (like j mat) that is very coachable

my concerns with hickman pertain to his academics (why risk recruiting a prospective student athlete that is not a potential future superstar with a gpa that is marginal for cal admissions, why not recruit 4.0 gpa guys like ernie sears to fill out the roster?), his body type (he's 6'4" & still appears to be under 170 lbs, he is physically pushed around at the aau level) & his basketball skills (he's not quick enough to compete in the pac 12, his handle is average & his release point on 3 pointers is too low, it will be blocked at the high d1 level)

alec has not firmed up a 2017 prep school yet & it will be interesting to see if there are any new developments in his recruitment particularly with the 2017 class already including jemarl baker & juhwan harris-dyson

i wish alec hickman nothing but the best
stu
Shocky1;842708805 said:

why not recruit 4.0 gpa guys like ernie sears to fill out the roster?

+1

Cal is a University which happens to have a basketball team, not a basketball team which happens to share a name and some facilities with a university.
Big C
Shocky1;842708743 said:

when i used to caddie at san francisco golf club back in the day, i would listen to the stories re: the magic of cypress point & dream of a future that would allow me walk endless rounds there with the pacific ocean winds at my back & my heart drunk with a beauty that my eyes could never see

yeah, cal is a dream school, a degree from the #1 ranked public university in the world will open an infinite number of doors for you in life to relentlessly pursue your dreams...sometimes you gotta go thru something to get something

Shocky, how many times have you played Cypress Point? How do you get on the course (member? invited, by being a golf course evaluator?)

An old boss of mine, a really impressive 2-handicap, used to tell me the story of him and two friends, how they snuck onto the course (by cutting a hole in a fence, iirc). He said they played 2 1/2 half holes, before they were spotted from a distance and had to flee. One of the things that struck him was how empty the course was (so exclusive).
HoopDreams
89Bear
Shocky1;842708758 said:

awesome, what' s his name?

Desi. He and the kids are getting LOTS of exercise...
HoopDreams
[video][/video]
jyamada
Big C_Cal;842708895 said:

Shocky, how many times have you played Cypress Point? How do you get on the course (member? invited, by being a golf course evaluator?)

An old boss of mine, a really impressive 2-handicap, used to tell me the story of him and two friends, how they snuck onto the course (by cutting a hole in a fence, iirc). He said they played 2 1/2 half holes, before they were spotted from a distance and had to flee. One of the things that struck him was how empty the course was (so exclusive).

We used to sneak on to the Claremont Country Club course in high school and the 4 holes on the other side of Broadway Terrace. Course was always empty. One day we got bold and crossed the street where the other 14 holes were. As we walked to the next tee, some old geezer spotted us......me being Asian kind of made the guy suspicious. As we putted out, a marshal came racing out in a cart and asked if we were members. My buddy said he was some doctor's son and I was his guest.
The marshal said told us to wait there while he would go back to check out whether my buddy's father was a member. We hightailed it out of there and needless to say, I never snuck back on again.
Shocky1
show up at the hostess stand at tayor's favorite restaurant nobu malibu very late this evening without a reservation

shocky: good evening, we'd like a table on the patio overlooking the ocean please

curvy brunette yoga hostess: i'm sorry sir, we're fully committed this evening...would you like me to put you on the waiting list for the sushi bar, there are unfortunately no guarantees that any seats will open up tonite

shocky: did you know that i'm a california golden bear?

curvy brunette yoga hostess: really?

shocky (posting up with a headstand directly in front of the hostess stand with my giuseppe zanotti kicks in the air): roarrrrrrrrrr

polite applause/clapping from the 3 hostesses & maybe a few strange looks from the bar

curvy brunette yoga hostess (flipping her hair): i have a yoga practice too

shocky: tell me something i don't already know

curvy brunette yoga hostess (to a male server): please seat them at table 7 on the patio now

dirty looks at the shockster from those who've been told there are no tables available now

shocky: dom arigato

curvy brunette yoga hostess: namaste

for free (table)#:bravo
Shocky1
89Bear;842708971 said:

Desi. He and the kids are getting LOTS of exercise...

that's probably an understatement

Shocky1
Big C_Cal;842708895 said:

big c, i've played cypress point 20+ times usually as a guest of a member...as a golf magazine & golf digest panelist that has played the world top 100 courses i can pretty much play any course in the world with a phone call/email request to visit while including my architectural rankings credentials

your boss probably parked by the 14th green on 17 mile drive & played the oceanside 15th & 16th holes before fleeing the crime scene
Shocky1

wendell, your 8 finalists only include one world class university on the west coast that combines elite academics & basketball development opportunities in the cali sun

let's do this

just ask jaylen#

Shocky1;842702485 said:

coach martin has extended an actionable offer to 6'10" 240 lbs wendell carter the #3 ranked player in the 2017 class from the pace academy in atlanta & the summertime aau cp3...coach recently traveled to the fiba u17 world championship games in zaragoza spain to show wendell the love

carter is ridiculously strong & can attack the basket with elite athleticism & is a tenacious rebounder

wendell is not a dumb azz, he got a 4.0 gpa & while he is a likely future nba lottery pick he is also interested in engineering

carter's only planned official trip is to harvard...he's already unofficially visited duke twice & intends to attend kentucky's big blue madness

while cal is in his top 10 schools, the key to this recruitment will be to secure one of carter's official visits...a semi longshot at this time, an official visit to berkeley could result in a seismic shift in his recruitment, kinda like jaylen brown's quiet visit to cali

[video=youtube;a1VZ78uh43g][/video]

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including georgia)
Jeff82
Shocky1;842708796 said:

wrong, michael porter's dad is michael porter sr & his godfather is coach romar

You're implying that a kid would have no legitimate reasons to play for his Dad in college. Not sure I agree with that. Some do, some don't.
Shocky1
Jeff82;842709067 said:

You're implying that a kid would have no legitimate reasons to play for his Dad in college. Not sure I agree with that. Some do, some don't.

both of the michael porter sr's sons (washington) & stevie thompson sr's sons (oregon state) will likely never take any official visits to find out what colleges might be the best fits for them, those once in a lifetime opportunities will never happen

the thompson recruitments are particularly selfish in their dad's efforts to further his basketball coaching career as both of his sons are 4.0+ gpa true student athletes with offers from cal & stanford, the oregon state degree is not a 50 year decision

there are legitimate reasons to play for you dad, getting an academically mediocre education for those that are truly mentally limitless is not one of them

yeah, michael sr & stevie sr are both dads of the year

mikecohen
Shocky1;842709182 said:

both of the michael porter sr's sons (washington) & stevie thompson sr's sons (oregon state) will likely never take any official visits to find out what colleges might be the best fits for them, those once in a lifetime opportunities will never happen

the thompson recruitments are particularly selfish in their dad's efforts to further his basketball coaching career as both of his sons are 4.0+ gpa true student athletes with offers from cal & stanford, the oregon state degree is not a 50 year decision

there are legitimate reasons to play for you dad, getting an academically mediocre education for those that are truly mentally limitless is not one of them

yeah, michael sr & stevie sr are both dads of the year

FWIW: Linus Pauling graduated from Oregon State University
Shocky1
mikecohen;842709193 said:

it is widely believed that when pauling tried to explain his quantum physics & molecular biology theories at oregon state that he got a lot of blank looks & **** like that
stu
mikecohen;842709193 said:

In 1922, when it was Oregon Agricultural College. His grad work was at Caltech.

Shocky1;842709202 said:

it is widely believed that when pauling tried to explain his quantum physics & molecular biology theories at oregon state that he got a lot of blank looks & **** like that

I expect his theories on vitamin C & **** like that were better understood at Oregon State.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]fresh off starting for the NBA D League Select team in the NBA Summer League...
Pac Conference Champion Patrick Christoper in the Haas![/SIZE]

Shocky1
patrick christopher needs to get his broken down azz back into the classroom & finish off his cal degree

men take care of their biz#
Shocky1
sammy, with the departure of your 50 minute friend j mat (who was thinking about bailing/graduating early on his teammates during the season) you are the only pac 12 battle tested guard on the bears roster with heavy experience, this is your team

swaggin' (pac 12 defensive mvp)#

Shocky1;842685162 said:

when i told sam singer at the banquet that he seems to play his best basketball when he's got some attitude pointing & clapping (but not taunting) like a bad azz, he told me that coach webster has told him the same thing...we agreed that it was personal with johnny dawkins after he passed on him for the allen twins, ok, that's fine game on now

next season is gonna be his team, it's gonna be sammy's opportunity to run the show, to not only facilitate & distribute for his teammates along with attacking the basket & knocking down the open 3 pointers from the top of the key (his go zone most effective angle on perimeter shooting) but most importantly bringing mentally tough leadership particularly away from the love of haas pavilion & on the hostile road

the great 1s like iverson keep everybody together in their own unique ways, singer is truly respected by his teammates...expect the ball to move better on the floor with improved spacing

sam told me that his classes at the internationally recognized haas undergraduate biz school are going well & when i told him the accounting classes were very challenging/time consuming for me he told me that his moms jani has worked in accounting (his dad bob is a lawyer), he's got this under control

let's do this, sammy

no more mr nice guy (on the court)#
BearlyCareAnymore
Shocky1;842709202 said:

Little known fact was that he wanted to go to Cal, but his older sister Lucy, who was not mentally limitless, forced him to follow her to OSU by threatening to burn his blanket.
Shocky1
OaktownBear;842709239 said:

Little known fact was that he wanted to go to Cal, but his older sister Lucy, who was not mentally limitless, forced him to follow her to OSU by threatening to burn his blanket.

yeah, lucy can be a real bitch sometimes

Shocky1
seattle update: donaven dorsey is gonna transfer, andrew andrews is out of eligibility & both marquess chriss & dejounte murray left early for the league

continued roster turnover is the new norm for coach romar, nobody is gonna graduate

missed ncca tournament for the 6th year in a row (hire td)#

Shocky1;842506277 said:

[IMG]

the washington husky is the 8th member of the program to leave the program:

**mike anderson (out of eligibility)
**shawn kemp jr (out of eligibility)
**jernard jarreau (tulane)
**darin johnson (cal state earthquake)
**gilles dierickx (seattle pacific)
**nigel williams-goss (gonzaga)
**robert upshaw (nba and/or prison)

"after meeting with coach romar it has become abundantly clear that he's heading in an entirely new direction and therefore we will no longer be cheering for the washington huskys at future basketball games"
-washington husky dance & cheerleading teams

Shocky1

coach martin watching his boyz jemarl baker & ira lee with the earl watson elite at the las vegas fab 48 tonite

cal's touch the sky class (2017)#:bravo
Shocky1

cal 2017 commit & arguably the nation's best pure perimeter shooter jemarl baker scored 19 points & cal 2018 priority target miles norris scored 14 points as the earl watson elite milked wisconsin united in las vegas

Shocky1
charlie moore is impressing his new teammates in summertime ball in berkeley, he's a pass 1st point guard that plays "with the aura of a leader" & is also consistently "knocking down 20+ foot perimeter shots"

his style of play is "like tyler ulis offensively but needs to gain strength to defend pac 12 1s"

yeah, charlie is all the way up, nothing can stop him

shorty (go all the way up)#
Shocky1
jordan schakel with the commitment to the aztecs...if his commitment doesn't change jordan is gonna be the smartest (4.3 gpa) basketball player ever at san diego state

Shocky1;842604832 said:

jordan schakel

the bears staff is actively recruiting bishop montgomery 2017 dynamic 3 point shooting 6'5" 180 lbs jordan schakel

jordan got a 4.3 gpa, dude is almost as smart as nick hamilton (let's be real here, nobody is smarter than nick although a lot of guys dress & shave better than him)

schakel is being coached up by longtime highly respected so cal basketball head coach doug mitchell...i met mitchell at the oakland airport on the rental car rental shuttle bus after he traveled north in support of his former player justin cobbs senior day game...mitchell places a strong emphasis upon academics & his relationships with his student athletes extends beyond their time in torrance...we talked about richard solomon who also played for mitchell before transferring to price high school with the misguided hopes of playing less with his back to the basket & more as a stretch 4 (solo was a career .571 free throw % shooter during his 4 years at cal)

in that both of ethan's parents graduated from usc, the question in his recruitment is does he want to go away for college to the beautiful san francisco bay area to the #1 ranked public university in the world?

crazy knights#
stu
Shocky1;842709458 said:

jordan schakel with the commitment to the aztecs

Did we have no room at his position after Juhwan Harris-Dyson committed?

Quote:

if his commitment doesn't change jordan is gonna be the smartest (4.3 gpa) basketball player ever at san diego state

Maybe the smartest non basketball player as well.
Shocky1
congrats to oshae on his selection to the canadian u18 national team

do not **** wit canada, they will mess you up

Shocky1;842696042 said:

cal has offered 6'8" 185 lbs positionless canadian oshae brissett from findlay prep & the las vegas prospects...and yeah, oshae got good hair

brissett is a fast rising highly athletic prospect that got a non stop motor, is willing to relentlessly compete for rebounds & can guard multiple positions (a coach martin highly valued skill) along with a solid mid range shooting game

the findlay prep program operates like a college program with serious time management skills required by its student athletes...before the season the players (who live in 2 houses a block away from the school) got 6:00 am conditioning on the football field followed by school from 8:00 to 3:00 pm with weights at 12:40 pm before lunch...after school there's a basketball practice followed by dinner & then homework study sessions...then at 9:00 they got work outs with the coaches

oshae is not a dumb azz, he told ryan gorcey that he got a 3.6 gpa...academics will be a key factor for him & his parents in his collegiate decision, they are aware of cal's reputation as the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

with 3 recruits on the las vegas prospects including oshae, troy brown jr & charlie o'bannon, the cal staff is gonna blanket their aau schedule this summer

don't tell nobody but oshae is a distant half cousin of fellow toronto native drake, if brissett commits to them california golden bears you can expect drake will be sitting by me (sorry taylor) a couple of times at haas pavilion during the 2017 season

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including toronto)
Shocky1
troy brown jr bounced back from yesterday's subpar performance with 20 points today for his las vegas prospects in milwaukee with coach martin keeping an eye on his key priority targeted 3.7 true student athlete prospect...yeah, troy is gonna narrow down his collegiate list real soon

http://www.slamonline.com/college-hs/high-school/class-2017-guard-troy-brown-jr-ready-next-step/#c3p6sTA2czlu5Ybf.97

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including the state of nevada):gobears:
Shocky1
donnie tillman is now playing for dream vision & exploded for 25 points on 9-12 field goals & 7-10 free throws along with 11 boards (5 offensive & 6 defensive) & a sloppy 5 turnovers in leading his aau team to a 80-59 victory over team lillard at the adidas championship in las vegas

Shocky1;842695280 said:

the cal staff is in daily communication with emerging key 2017 priority wing donnie tillman originally from the housing projects of detroit & now flourishing at findlay prep & the oakland soldiers...tillman is not nationally ranked yet because he played in only 5 games last year because of a now fully recovered meniscus tear w/ cartilage damage but like charlie moore he's gonna be a top 100 player before the end of his upcoming senior season

the findlay prep program operates like a college program with serious time management skills required by its student athletes...before the season the players (who live in 2 houses a block away from the school) got 6:00 am conditioning on the football field followed by school from 8:00 to 3:00 pm with weights at 12:40 pm before lunch...after school there's a basketball practice followed by dinner & then homework study sessions...then at 9:00 they got work outs with the coaches

although coach martin & coach webster are recruiting tillman at the 3, he views himself as position less like draymond green:

"that's my biggest comparison, a more athletic draymond green...i'm a rebounder, i can knock down a mid range shot, i can step up and hit a three, i can sometimes create for myself and for others and i can post up inside and out...and i really love that about (green's) game"

-donnie tillman

he forget to mention that he also got serious hops & can play above the rim too

growing up in tough circumstances in the midwest, donnie can relate to the past experiences of coach martin & coach webster, he would bring a mentally tougher, more bad azz much needed mentality to the sometimes candy azz soft california golden bears

and here's the best news, tillman told ryan gorcey that "education is #1, basketball will take care of itself" & that he got an overall 3.3 gpa...donnie tillman is not a dumb azz, he got academic ambition & is mentally limitless

[video=youtube;R-LUg5Ur5B4][/video]

expect donnie tillman to visit berkeley in the near future, he's gonna make his moms donna holmes who suffers from epilepsy proud of her by taking care of her in the future...and yeah, donnie is an ideal cal fit both thru his multiple skills at the 3 & his hardwork in the classrooms

donnie, come on, let's do this

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including the streets of detroit)
Shocky1
yeah, the smartest bear of them all nick hamilton is always helpful moving packages & **** like that

too bad accurately shooting a basketball isn't that simple (shut up, shocky)

long live the slow & the forgotten, cal's walk ons (nick & cole)#
Shocky1
stu;842709465 said:

Did we have no room at his position after Juhwan Harris-Dyson committed?

stu, it's all a numbers game

the bears will be losing 6-7 players after the 2016 season:

*****ivan rabb (nba draft)
*****jabari bird (graduation)
*****sam singer (graduation)
*****roger moute a bidias (graduation)
*****stephen domingo (graduation)
*****grant mullins (in grad school, out of eligibility)
*****kameron rooks (potential wildcard, will graduate this year, could return if enrolled in one of cal's grad schools)

the bears currently have 3 2017 commits:

*****6'2" jemarl baker
*****6'4" juhwan harris-dyson
*****6'4" alec hickman

all 3 of these guys are probable 2s & 3s with baker also able to slide to the 1...harris-dyson is only 16 years & still growing & could potentially also compete at the 4 down the road

realistically the bears would need a decommitment from alec hickman in order to create room for the elite shooting 4.3 gpa wing jordan schakel, the rest of the class will focus more on front court talent

the staff is currently targeting 5 guys for cal's touch the sky class (2017) although that could expand to 6 for the right guy like 5 star blue chipper wendell carter if he decides he wants to come to berkeley
UrsaMajor
Shock:

don't you mean the 2017 class?
rkt88edmo
Shocky1;842709365 said:

cal's touch the sky class (2017)#:bravo

He's almost got the MoneyLynch move down, I approve.
Shocky1
UrsaMajor;842709681 said:

Shock:

don't you mean the 2017 class?

you are correct, senor, edited as necessary

ay caramba!#
First Page Last Page
Page 18 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.