cal's monster class deux

1,380,986 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[SIZE=5]Jemarl Baker with 17 points as his Roosevelt Mustangs win the Division I Southern California regional championship.

Next stop: California State Finals[/SIZE]

brj1
Dinging JP,sorry but if he kicks like a punk and whines like a punk,he's a punk.I'll vote with my wallet, and maintain that Cal could do a lot better, so good luck with that.
MoragaBear
Staff
UCBerkGrad;842821968 said:

He took the job 2 years after Katrina. Had a chance to rebuild the program. Didn't.

I don't have a firm opinion on Pasternack but the New Orleans stint should come with major asterisks.

His first season, coming off the previous staff's 14-17, they went 19-13. After that season, they determined they'd need to transition out of D1 because it was unsustainable financially to remain there because of repercussions from the hurricane. Because of that, they gave all their players an immediate release and brought only 2 off the previous year's roster back in his second season. Pretty impossible situation.

So they tailed off in years 2 and 3 with a total rebuild, then rebounded to 16-6 in his last season there before going to Arizona.

Much more to the 54-60 record at New Orleans than meets the eye.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Congrats to Jordan Brown and his Woodcreek team beating Sheldon for NorCal Championship

On to California State Finals[/SIZE]

BearsObserver
Martin offered him again ...

Shocky1;842711336 said:

coach martin has offered 5'11" 170 lbs 2018 point guard alex lomax from memphis east high school (tennessee) & team penny after blowing up this summer on the aau circuit, lomax will be a future top 100 player in the 2018 class & is being recruited by high majors (already 10 offers) from across the country

check out the video from his freshman year in high school...the tough d, the unselfish off the charts innate passing skills & the smooth running floater are in evidence

[video=youtube;em1QLsoZOrg][/video]

but basketball does not define lomax, alex is not a dumb azz, he got a 3.62 gpa...he is a member of the memphis east poetry club & has also volunteered for peer power, an after school tutoring/mentoring program in addition to serving as a youth coach

"alex lomax is the engine that makes east high run smoothly...he is an outstanding floor general that keeps all of his teammates at ease and makes sure all of them are in place...he makes the game seem so effortless with his poise during challenging times"
-antonion harris, head coach at rival b.t. washington high school

like coach martin, lomax is growing up in an economically depressed high crime housing project area (house broken into multiple times) & is seeking to provide a better future for himself & his family, the two of them have a common bond

and yeah alex already got a curvy brunette yoga girlfriend:woohoo

alex lomax would be an ideal member of cal's started at the bottom class (2018)

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including the land of elvis)
Shocky1

justice sueing jr scored 21 points with 11 boards & 2 blocks as the mater dei monarchs got sent into the nite 60-53 by the bishop montgomery knights

justice, a d1 coach told me that you got the potential to be an all pac 12 player by your junior season at cal due to your aggressive slashing playing style & relentlessly non stop motor

just remember us mutts of mixed descent (your moms is samoan & your dad is black) gotta stick together

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including samoa & hawaii):cool::cool:

Shocky1
jemarl, congrats on your unselfish facilitating/distributing the ball to your teammates particularly matt mitchell & scoring 17 points as your roosevelt mustangs galloped 68-65 to an unreal 5th win over your arch rival corona centennial huskies

good luck in the d1 championship game next friday nite at 8:00 pm vs the union city's james logan colts in the battle of the equines for a state of california title

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (for those that wanna get minted & live in a house in the hills in the future):bravo
Shocky1
what up jordan?

congrats on your devastating 31 points with 17 boards & 3 blocks in leading your woodcreek timberwolves to a 66-59 nature battle with them Sheldon huskies

good luck in your epic state of california open division championship title game with so cal's bishop montomgery knight at your hometown golden1 center next saturday nite at 8:00 pm

no wonder you laughingly told a reporter re: the bus drive home from last nite's victory at santa clara university back to roseville "we're not sleeping, too much adrenaline...it's everybody, we got stoppers, rebounders, game controllers...it feels great"

the university of california, berkeley=the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (and closer to roseville for your family & friends):wave:wave:wave:wave:wave:wave:wave:wave:wave
Shocky1
BearBackerinLA;842822158 said:

Martin offered him again ...

yeah alex lomax is the guy martin & webster want to run the missouri offense at point guard from day one
Shocky1
the #1 priority for the next head basketball coach in putting together their staff will be to retain current interim head coach wyking jones as part of the new staff, wyking was in the stands last nite to keep an eye on justice sueing jr

wyking grew up in inglewood, played ball collegiately at loyola marymount & his wife estrella is from berkeley which is why he left louisville after 2 final fours & a 2013 ncca national championships...he don't wanna follow martin & webster to the show me the deal maker state plus michael jr & jontay are gonna be coached by their dad porter sr

jones is critical to the retention of cal's go all the way up class (2017), he's close to all the guys particularly the so cal j trio of jemarl, juhwan & justice...he's well respected by 2019 sharpshooter commit trevin knell & he's been a key player in the recruitment of kj hymes (and his little bro isaac who is the future of cal basketball) along with superstar jordan brown

yeah wyking is gonna be on the cal bench again next season, just hope he don't order any more of that green **** drinks when the bears go to maui this november

Shocky1;842773490 said:

coach wyking knocking down a ninja turtle kale smoothie, sammy & lucas not impressed

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]ALL 7 Pac 12 teams advance in the NCAA Tournament
Pac 12 is Number 1 Conference in the Nation[/SIZE]

oskidunker
New coach will probably want his own staff. Usually this is the case. How many times is an assistant kept on? It would probably be good in this case to keep him but I wouldnt count on it unless its a condition of his hire, which I doubt they do.
Shocky1
as referenced in my previous post, the #1 priority for the next head basketball coach (who will not be a cal grad) will be to retain current interim head coach wyking jones who is critical to the retention of cal's go all the way up class (2017) & is also well respected by the current guys on the team

the bears cannot afford to bring in assistant coaches who don't get cal's unique academic challenges from day 1, there's no time for a learning curve...i fully expect the next head coach (interviews with the selection committee tuesday & thursday of this upcoming week) to bring in 1-2 of the following former california golden bears:

dennis gates: the misinformed reports that he's being considered for the head coaching position are inaccurate, he's a priority as a top assistant coach that can recruit & sell cal academics having graduated from berkeley in 3 years during his playing days

theo robertson: cal's leading 3 pointer of all time was cal's business operations manager under coach montgomery, an assistant for the golden state warriors under steve kerr & is currently implementing the warriors offense for luke walton's los angeles lakers...theo told me about jordan brown back when he was in middle school, guy is a recruiting junkie

richard midgley: former bears hardnosed englishman who ventured to america for high school not knowing anyone, he's been a highly successful coach at modesto christian & is currently a nba scout for the atlanta hawks

lou richie: richie knows literally almost ever high school coach in california, he's coached up the bishop o'dowd dragons to a california open division state championship with young ivee & was originally offered an assistant coaching job by martin when he got hired by cal (lou turned down the job & it went to yanni hufnagel)

full disclosure: robertson, midgley & richie have been my floor guests multiple times at haas & i consider them friends, they are all hard working high character guys who bleed blue & gold

the world according to shocky (will happen)#:axe
Shocky1
oskidunker;842822287 said:

New coach will probably want his own staff. Usually this is the case. How many times is an assistant kept on? It would probably be good in this case to keep him but I wouldnt count on it unless its a condition of his hire, which I doubt they do.

wrong
brj1
This is on track with what I am thinking, Jones has earned an opportunity and he would be a bridge hire to keep the incoming class intact and retain players on the roster for next year. Any combination of the assistants on your list would also accurately reflect Cal's commitment to diversity and be a real force on the National and California recruiting trail. This will work.
Shocky1
brj1;842822299 said:

This is on track with what I am thinking, Jones has earned an opportunity and he would be a bridge hire to keep the incoming class intact and retain players on the roster for next year. Any combination of the assistants on your list would also accurately reflect Cal's commitment to diversity and be a real force on the National and California recruiting trail. This will work.

if my mid nite hotel de paris (monaco) plan comes together, the cal basketball program will move forward with a significantly better gameday head coach who makes schematic adjustments to win basketball games, assistant coaches that are loyal & that can sell berkeley academics, a new (smaller than originally proposed) functional dedicated basketball practice facility, the retention of cal's go all the way up class (2017) & the opportunity to close on superstar jordan brown's late summer/early fall collegiate selection decision

i am shocky & this will happen, it is written in the stars

at some point they gonna have to build a ******* headstand statue of me next to haas but for now i just wanna a non restrictive all access stormin' the floor get out of jail card

the magic of cal basketball (is not linear)#:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree
brj1
Richie, Jones, Midgeley and/or Theo is dynamic line up of Closers, ABC.

HoopDreams
From day one, Roger was laser focused on how he can help the team. It was never about him. With his length, athleticism and motor, he instantly became most valuable as a defender, and throughout his career it was his biggest contribution. Roger was another player who helped build Cal’s #15 defense.

Roger worked relentlessly during the season and offseason on his shot. The improvement from his freshmen and soph years was noticiable, and by his junior year he was a solid shooter. Roger was our best free throw shooter at an amazing 85%.

This year he scored 12 points in three games, plus a number of games scoring 7, 8 and 9 pts. In his final game as a Bear he was 2 for 2 from three.

He was also a ferocious rebounder. I was in awe a few times where out of no where, he leapt into the stratosphere to grab a rebound over a surprised opponent. He had several games with 5, 6, 7 boards.

HIs father is Camille Mout Bidias, Village Chief of Bia Messe in Cameroon. That makes Roger a Prince, and if you’ve met him you will know that he carries himself with a quiet respect that you might expect of a Prince. Cameroon is known as “Africa in Miniature” because of it’s diverse landscape from desert to rainforest, to savannas. The people of Cameroon are also diverse, and maybe one of the reasons he likes Cal … the diversity of the University and the Bay Area.

south bender
Nice post, HD.

Thanks.
Alkiadt
"dennis gates: the misinformed reports that he's being considered for the head coaching position are inaccurate, he's a priority as a top assistant coach that can recruit & sell cal academics having graduated from berkeley in 3 years during his playing days..,."

Gates is already an Associate Head Coach at FSU. Doubtful he would consider a lateral move just to return to Cal. He's going to be a Head Coach sooner than later.
seattlebear02
oskidunker;842822287 said:

For what it's worth, Hopkins is keeping Will Conroy on staff at UW. O'Toole is going up to Seattle to coach for Hop and so is Jason Hart from USC. Good staff.
Shocky1
Alkiadt;842822366 said:

"dennis gates: the misinformed reports that he's being considered for the head coaching position are inaccurate, he's a priority as a top assistant coach that can recruit & sell cal academics having graduated from berkeley in 3 years during his playing days..,."

Gates is already an Associate Head Coach at FSU. Doubtful he would consider a lateral move just to return to Cal. He's going to be a Head Coach sooner than later.

alkiadt, respect your knowledge & support of the program, it's agreed that gates is gonna be a head coach in the near future

the selection committee criteria (unless it's changed in the last 10 minutes) is that assistant head coaches will not be considered, joe pasternack appears to be the only exception
Bobodeluxe
Shocky1;842822369 said:

alkiadt, respect your knowledge & support of the program, it's agreed that gates is gonna be a head coach in the near future

the selection committee criteria (unless it's changed in the last 10 minutes) is that assistant head coaches will not be considered, joe pasternack appears to be the only exception

$ exception. Real America.

:p
seattlebear02
Alkiadt;842822366 said:

Gates might get the Illinois job...makes sense...
Shocky1
steve kerr on theo robertson, "he's a rock star that everyone on our staff enjoyed being around, he's got a lot of talent" at the 3:25 minute mark

[video=youtube;ijjhyai_3Cw][/video]

very disappointing that kerr comments that he "doesn't know what's going on with cal," why isn't steve or his son nick (who participated in team activities 24.7/365 the last 2 years) being utilized as a resource by the selection committee?
Big C
MoragaBear;842822150 said:

I don't have a firm opinion on Pasternack but the New Orleans stint should come with major asterisks.

His first season, coming off the previous staff's 14-17, they went 19-13. After that season, they determined they'd need to transition out of D1 because it was unsustainable financially to remain there because of repercussions from the hurricane. Because of that, they gave all their players an immediate release and brought only 2 off the previous year's roster back in his second season. Pretty impossible situation.

So they tailed off in years 2 and 3 with a total rebuild, then rebounded to 16-6 in his last season there before going to Arizona.

Much more to the 54-60 record at New Orleans than meets the eye.

MoragaBear, who do you think you are, coming in here with nuance and context?!?
UCBerkGrad
Shocky1;842822293 said:

lou richie: richie knows literally almost ever high school coach in california, he's coached up the bishop o'dowd dragons to a california open division state championship with young ivee & was originally offered an assistant coaching job by martin when he got hired by cal (lou turned down the job & it went to yanni hufnagel)

I really like the idea of Lou Richie as an asst. You are right, he knows the CA AAU/High School landscape better than almost anyone. What was the reason he turned down the prior offer?
petalumabear
Well, BOD is his alma mater and perhaps it's far more important to a guy like Lou to mentor the young men of his hometown than make more cash.
UCBerkGrad
petalumabear;842822395 said:

Well, BOD is his alma mater and perhaps it's far more important to a guy like Lou to mentor the young men of his hometown than make more cash.

He can't do both? Sure, he's a BOD alum, but he's also a Cal alum. What would prevent him from mentoring local young men? Kinda in the job description.

Plus, cash.
Shocky1

walked a brisk 18 holes this morning with slim wadie & a highly respected longtime nba executive (he's one of my basketball mentors along with jay john) at whisper rock

after lunch i asked mr nba for feedback re: my post below, he laughed (he asked me if the monster class was written by a 12 year old?...whatever) & told me i failed to include as a criteria the ability to successfuly gameplan against pac 12 opponents...he's absolutely right, i told him we've been consistently outschemed in terms of designed plays resulting in buckets after time outs, 2nd half adjustments & the abject failure to feed ivan rabb in the low post in part due to coach martin & his staff not fully being aware of/inability to exploit the weaknesses of our pac 12 opponents

mr nba also noted that shaw, howland & musselman have character (big egos, not great communicators, not flexible in challenging circumstances) flaws that would not make them good fits/high risk flame outs in berkeley

so the post below is now edited to include game planning against pac 12 opponents

yeah it's always fun to do the hang at the rock

Shocky1;842821761 said:

cal's monster class exclusive announcement:

after significant due diligence in speaking with players, former players, coaches at the high school-junior college-college level & nba sources along with donors i strongly believe that joe pasternack is the best qualified candidate to become the next head coach for the california golden bears for the following reasons:

1) academics: of all the finalists pasternack as an assistant coach under ben braun from 2001-2007 is the only candidate along with my man travis decuire & dennis gates who fully gets cal's academics & admissions from a firsthand experience...there would be a steep learning curve (and lots of frustration like coach martin experienced) for guys like shaw, bennett & musselman, academics is the biggest issue facing the next head coach at cal & we need a guy who gets it from day one

2) dedicated practice facility: pasternack with the support of doug goldman is the best candidate to raise the necessary funds for shovels to get in the ground for the absolutely necessary dedicated basketball practice facility, there's no meaningful future for the cal basketball program from a recruiting & player development perspective until this gets done

3) age: pasternack is the ideal age, he turns 40 on april 15th...he has a work ethic reputation like me of 24/7/365...shaw, howland, bennett & musselman are too old

4) staff: multiple former players for pasternack have told me of his intense loyalty to them & that he will try to build a staff with former california golden bears, guys that get berkeley from day one, that's the best play along with retaining wyking jones (who is well regarded by the returning players, cal's go all the way up class (2017), current cal commit trevin knell & the program changing jordan brown)

5) recruiting: of all the finalists, gates & pasternack are clearly the most accomplished recruiters & that's truly the lifeblood of college recruiting...joe has an advantage over dennis with his west coast & international (a pasternack strength that needs to be exploited with cal's worldwide academic reputation) recruiting connections...for reasons i can't get into here, pasternack is the best person to keep together cal's go all the way up class (2017) & keep cal in the game for 2018 superstar jordan brown

6) game planning against pac 12 opponents: only joe pasternack & travis decuire have had experience in successfuly game planning against all the pac 12 opponents & td hasn't done so in a couple of years...joe knows the pac 12 inside & out, arizona has methodically outschemed pac 12 opponents including cal to successfully exploit opportunities on the floor...when cole welle came into the game in berkeley, sitting directly across from the arizona bench i saw the donut boy of tucson & joe excitedly instruct/direct lauri markkanen to relentlessly attack the basket 3 times in a row which they successfully did...when oregon state's drew eubanks got injured in the pac 12 tournament & rabb was then guarded by a much shorter walk on, coach martin & his staff failed to capitalize on that opportunity & to be honest with you that's just really bad ******* coaching

pasternack is currently earring $375k working for the donut boy of tuscon (pasternack has also worked under bobby knight) & views cal as a dream job, his wife is roxy's sister, who would love to return to the bay area...cal would not be a stepping stone for pasternack, we could build something special in berkeley

it's kinda funny how when i started this investigative process of evaluating the potential candidates & making phone calls/sending out emails i did not expect this to be my final conclusion (thought it would be travis decuire who i lobbied for in the very 1st cal's monster class post back in the day, td would still be a very good choice) but an open mind (thanks to my yoga/meditation practice) has brought clarity re: the best person to lead the cal basketball program into the future

as the director of recruiting/player development & the most knowledgeable person on planet earth (other than true insider califortunate) re: the cal basketball program having watched every second of action live in person this season i fully expect mike williams, ashwin puri & the senior cabinet to accept this recommendation & am looking forward to joe pnaternack's formal hiring as the next head basketball coach of the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world next week

life is not linear#

factual documentation re: point #5 recruiting

cal-joe pasternack lead recruiter
ryan anderson (like many of the listed players below has written a letter of support for pasternack)
leon powe
patrick christopher
harper kamp
ayinda ubaka
devon hardin
marquise kately
amit tamir
richard midgley
nikola knezevic
omar wilkes
jordan wilkes

cal-joe pasternack helped recruit
rod benson
dominic mcguire
theo robertson
jerome randle

Arizona-joe pastrnack
stanely johnson
brandon ashley
aaron gordon
lauri markkanen
duscan ristic
chance comanche
parker jackson-cartwright
grant jerrett
allonzo trier
gabe york
elliott pitts
rhondae hollis-jefferson
kaleb tarczewski
south bender
"mr nba" was certainly being diplomatic, to grant you the maturity of a 12 year old...
petalumabear
UCBerkGrad;842822397 said:

He can't do both? Sure, he's a BOD alum, but he's also a Cal alum. What would prevent him from mentoring local young men? Kinda in the job description.

Plus, cash.

He turned it down once. Plus, he's also a Clemson and SF State alum (was working on a PHd) so why not those schools plus the cash? I'm not saying it won't happen, it could but the fact that he already turned it down once makes it more likely he'll do so again. Unles, he turned it down for other reasons - such as he preferred not to travel as much, or he didn't want to work for Martin or something else. I'll defer to Shocky who knows him better than I do in spite of my also being an O'Dowd alum.
BearNecessities
Shocky1;842819586 said:

yeah coach martin & me are a package deal

That's the best news I've read on this forum in months
89Bear
Shocky1;842822398 said:

walked a brisk 18 holes this morning with slim wadie & a highly respected longtime nba executive (he's one of my basketball mentors along with jay john) at whisper rock

after lunch i asked mr nba for feedback re: my post below, he laughed (he asked me if the monster class was written by a 12 year old?...whatever) & told me i failed to include as a criteria the ability to successfuly gameplan against pac 12 opponents...he's absolutely right, i told him we've been consistently outschemed in terms of designed plays resulting in buckets after time outs, 2nd half adjustments & the abject failure to feed ivan rabb in the low post in part due to coach martin & his staff not fully being aware of/inability to exploit the weaknesses of our pac 12 opponents

mr nba also noted that shaw, howland & musselman have character (big egos, not great communicators, not flexible in challenging circumstances) flaws that would not make them good fits/high risk flame outs in berkeley

so the post below is now edited to include game planning against pac 12 opponents

yeah it's always fun to do the hang at the rock

factual documentation re: point #5 recruiting

cal-joe pasternack lead recruiter
ryan anderson (like many of the listed players below has written a letter of support for pasternack)
leon powe
patrick christopher
harper kamp
ayinda ubaka
devon hardin
marquise kately
amit tamir
richard midgley
nikola knezevic
omar wilkes
jordan wilkes

cal-joe pasternack helped recruit
rod benson
dominic mcguire
theo robertson
jerome randle

Arizona-joe pastrnack
stanely johnson
brandon ashley
aaron gordon
lauri markkanen
duscan ristic
chance comanche
parker jackson-cartwright
grant jerrett
allonzo trier
gabe york
elliott pitts
rhondae hollis-jefferson
kaleb tarczewski

Hey Shocky, no Justin Labagh on staff????
Bobodeluxe
:rollinglaugh:
BearNecessities;842822414 said:

That's the best news I've read on this forum in months
First Page Last Page
Page 110 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.