cal's monster class deux

1,380,229 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[video=youtube;mUn2Q3ddTjs][/video]

k9dog1
Shocky1;842693595 said:

how is the 2017 roster shaping up at this time?

freshmen: demarl baker & alec hickman
sophomores: roman davis & charlie moore
junior: dontae coleman
seniors: brandon chauca, kingsley okoroh & kameron rooks (maybe)

the staff has indicated that they are currently targeting a five (5) person 2017 class which means there will most likely be 10-11 scholly players on the roster at that time

that means that my current walk on boyz nick hamilton (then a junior) & cole welle (then a senior) will be in strong positions to earn playing time (and probably basketball schollys too)

let's do this#

you know what, sombody just suggested that what steve lavin said about a "gorilla dunk" was somewhat racist, so how is your ape behind bars post not? I'm not trying to pick a fight but I find it strange how some posters can find some stuff racists and other stuff not?

Go bears!
HoopDreams
[COLOR="#000080"]Sam Singer [/COLOR]from Miami, Florida trekked across the entire country to attend Cal. Far from home, it took him a little while to adjust to Berkeley, but after settling in with the help of teammates and students that befriended him, he grew as a student, a basketball player, and a person.

From his freshmen year, Sam has been a solid contributor to this team. In his four year career, he scored 469 points, 294 dimes, and 75 steals.

As a point guard he was a superior ball distributor (2-1 assist to turnover ratio), and a reliable, smart ball handler. Pressing teams rarely were successful.

He was one of our best perimeter defenders due to his superior defensive fundamentals, strength and revved motor. In Cal’s switching defense he could guard 4 positions. Because of his high hoops IQ, he was always good for a big steal, often by picking someone’s pocket or jumping the passing lane.

A total team player, and often described as ‘unselfish’ he could also get to the rim and finish.

This year he scored in double-figures five times with season highs of 14 in two games.
He was also a surprisingly good rebounder with five games this year with 6 or 7 off the glass.

Singer had some huge moments for the team...

In 2015, he hit a game winning 3 pointer with 5 seconds on the clock vs Washington.
Last year, he was the starting PG when Wallace went down. In those 5 games, Cal went 3-2 including a big win over #12 Arizona.
Then the first game that Wallace returned from injury, Sam shared the PG duties playing 25 minutes and distributing 11 assists to help in the blowout win of #11 Oregon.
This year, he was the utility man in the OT win vs UC Irvine by filling up the box score with 6 pts, 6 rebounds, 4 assists and a steal.
He hit a number of clutch shots, including in this year’s Pac12 tournament vs Oregon State.

Sam is enrolled in the Haas school of business, one of the top business schools in the Nation.

Every team needs a player like Sam. Cal has been fortunate to have him for 4 years.

Shocky1
k9dog1, i'm sure you are making a lot of good points about racism & **** like that from your presumably middle class white perspective but honestly i don't understand anything your saying

i dunno maybe olivier sarr can help me with the translation or something, the thing about racism is that it's kinda like a curvy brunette yoga female with a flat stomach, i know it when i see it

sorry, are you part of my targeted market segment or what?...that might be the problem

HoopDreams
Shocky1
make no mistake about it, the ideal coaching staff would include someone who could close on future nba lottery pick jabri abdur rahim

Shocky1;842749031 said:

coach webster is going hard after 6'6" 180 lbs jabri abdur rahim a future potential top 10 player in the 2020 class from seton hall prep school

yeah jabri's dad graduated from the #1 public (#3 overall) university in the world in 2012 with a degree in sociology & a 3.8 gpa, his old man is not a dumb azz

more importantly abdur's mom delicia (dee dee) is from oakland & graduated from cal berkeley before attending law school at santa clara, she is a mentally limitless curvy brunette yoga female

jabrii told josh gershon that "i'm originally from california and we just moved to new jersey, i've always pictured myself moving back to california"

does the young one got a relentless work ethic like shocky?

listen to the video below, the poised & articulate jabri is putting up at least 1000+ shots a day...if you wanna shoot ******* lights out like jemarl & trevin, this is the work ethic that is required otherwise your always gonna have sorry broken down crooked azz shooting...what up marcus, roman & juhwan?

[video=youtube;8qo9WKTDF1w][/video]

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including freezing azz jersey):gobears:
Shocky1
along with building a cohesive staff, the #1 priority for the new head coach will be to quickly build relationships with cal's go all the way up class (2017) which was primarily assembled by me with minimal assistance from the prior staff

if you ask them high character true student athletes of cal's go all the way up class (2017) where they live, they gonna point at the berkeley hills & tell you to go all the way up in their fueled up uber helicopters...just ask french montana, nothing can stop them

[video=youtube;y2ak_oBeC-I][/video]

jemarl baker, 3.2 gpa

juhwan harris dyson, 3.0 gpa

trevin knell (will reclassify to 2019), 4.0+ gpa

justice sueing jr, 3.8 gpa

curvy brunette yoga female with a flat stomach that wants to date & marry a cal, stanford or ivy league grad, gpa unknown

grant anticevnich, 3.75 gpa equivalent (7 point grading system in australia)

olivier sarr (silent commit), 3.6 gpa equivalent (20 point grading scale in france)

cal family (50 year friendships)#
Shocky1

let's break down the salary math, ok?

it's confirmed that cal is gonna receive $1,200,000 from missouri as a result of martin's contract buyout provisions (props to the athletic department for inclusion of this one time non recurring cash windfall clause)

the donut boy of tucson is paying joe pasternack $375,000...if offered the head coaching position, his salary should be in the $1,000,000+ range plus bonuses for stellar performance on the basketball court (as measured by ncca tournament wins) & in the classroom (as measured by apr)

martin's base salary was approximately $1,875,000

therefore cal could be saving $2,000,000+ with the new coach hire

dennis gates could be offered an associate head coaching position with a total compensation package that is several hundred thousand dollars more than his current deal with florida state

buried in numbers (the truth)#
joe amos yaks
The real question is how much is enough? Given the status of our nation the answer is "more".
Shocky1

huf is no longer with the nevada coaching staff, he still has a great relationship with jemarl baker & he's the one who 1st connected the cal staff with olivier sarr

lots of options (ivy league grad)#
89Bear
Shocky1;842823520 said:

huf is no longer with the nevada coaching staff, he still has a great relationship with jemarl baker & he's the one who 1st connected the cal staff with olivier sarr

lots of options (ivy league grad)#

Shocky, have you seen or heard Jon Wheeler's comments on the coaching search? Do you agree with him?
SBGold
wtf by Wheels? His nonsense is hurting or program's image
Shocky1
eric musselman is no longer part of the cal coaching search, he's just not an optimal cal fit but his daughter should would've been a lot of fun on gamedays at hass that's for sure

Shocky1;842819985 said:

former nba head coach for the golden state warriors & sacramento kings & current ncca tournament nevada wolfpack eric musselman along with his wife former espn reporter danyelle is the prohibitive favorite to be the next head basketball coach for the california golden bears

coach musselman has described cal as "a dream job" & still owns a house in danville, his 2 teenage boys from a previous marriage reside in the bay area, nor cal is his home

nba sources have told me he's a fiery & tenacious workaholic, that he demands 100% of his staff at all times & that he's a tremendous gameday coach...he would be a fabulous strategist along the lines of coach mike montgomery, the bears will call time outs in tight games & score off in bounds plays, we will out scheme opponents

coach musselman brought in 2018 superstar jordan brown for an unofficial visit to nevada this summer that by all accounts went very well...wife danyelle describes herself as 2nd mom to players & is very active with the on campus official visits

as for the future of cal's monster class i'm gonna see if the athletic department can finalize the deal with coach musselman & who he retains/hires as staff...it's absolutely necessary for the future of the cal basketball program that he build his team around coach nicodemus christopher, he's the real deal for guys building nba bodies both physically & mentally...good luck to yanni in hopefully taking a step forward in his career with the nevada staff if dave rice is promoted internally as the head coach, huf will not be returning to berkeley...hiring current los angeles laker assistant coach & former cal basketball staff/player tireless worker theo robertson should be a priority along with the current staff which will be essential in retaining cal's remarkable both athletically & academically go all the way up class (2017)

the cal athletic department will not hire a head coach that does not already have head coaching experience

coach musselman could potentially bring championships to berkeley if he hires the right staff (coach nic), keeps together cal's go all the way up class (2017) & successfully keeps jordan brown home in his late summer/early fall collegiate decision...i'm looking forward to hopefully meeting him in person in the near future

and yeah coach musselman knows a thing or two about mutts of mixed descent too & that's a good thing:bravo
Shocky1

travis, i would've never started the monster if not for you, gregg gottlieb & theo robertson...you will always be a special california golden bear, ok maybe a montana grizzly bear

life is definitely not linear#:rant
Shocky1
ivan, congrats on your decision to enter the 2017 nba draft, it's 100% the right decision, nba scouts are aware of the impact of your debilitating mono (which some dumb azz cal fans never quite understood) & the poor gameday schematics of the prior staff which negatively impacted your season

diamonds are not always forever (but they shine brite regardless of the conflict)#

Shocky1;842783021 said:

taylor's foto summarizes the bears abject failure to feed young ivee in the virginia game, he's open for a low post entry pass but the ball is never delivered to him

check out this link (not ghostwritten by me believe it or not):
http://rushthecourt.net/2016/12/26/ivan-rabb-vs-virginias-d-mon/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

"the ultimate point i'm beleaguering is that california center (not accurate, he's actually a 4 that sometimes slides to the 5 in small ball) ivan rabb didn't touch the ball for the final 4 minutes in last week's 56-52 loss to virginia...rabb, the second highest vote getter in pre season all america voting, took only four shots on the evening and did not touch the ball in the final four minutes of a crucial non conference loss"

this is the #1 challenge facing the cal basketball program, we will not be able to beat elite competition until this ongoing problem is fixed

ivan, i feel your frustration, this **** frustrates me as much as it frustrates you but some of this is also on you, you gotta more vocally (try yelling for a change, the quiet **** clearly isn't working) demand the ******* basketball from your teammates with your catching arm pointing to where you want the rock delivered to you & then you gotta relentlessly attack the basket & impose your unstoppable oakland will upon the game...quit hesitating (probing) when you got the ball, it's just allowing the double team to arrive, attack immediately & fearlessly

let's do this, so tired of this ****

the time is ******* now#
Shocky1
89Bear;842823710 said:

Shocky, have you seen or heard Jon Wheeler's comments on the coaching search? Do you agree with him?

don't agree with wheels, the search is heading in the right direction
Shocky1
SBGold;842823717 said:

wtf by Wheels? His nonsense is hurting or program's image

what wheels don't fully understand/appreciate is the complicating factor of this search in not only finding the right head coach (which is critical for retaining cal's 2017 go all the way up class & also the pursuit of 2018 superstar jordan brown) but also the right assistant coaches so finding out who dennis gates might work with as an associate head coach (the answer is joe pasternack) is part of this process along with the fact that arizona is still playing in the ncca tournament this thursday nite in san jose

the football head coach was much simpler: identify & hire the right head football coach which pez & mike williams nailed & then give wilcox 100% autonomy in hiring his assistant coaches without any pressure to compromise (such as the significant support for returning ron gould to berkeley)

this search is like a 1000+ piece jigsaw puzzle with lots of moving parts, they all need to fit together seamlessly

Big C
89Bear;842823710 said:

Can you summarize what he said, or provide a link? The one tidbit I heard, I didn't really disagree with.

--- EDIT --- Okay, I found what he said. Like what a lot of people say in instances like this, there might be a kernal of truth in there, but a lot of it might be his own bruised ego.
Big C
Shocky1;842823762 said:

ivan, congrats on your decision to enter the 2017 nba draft, it's 100% the right decision, nba scouts are aware of the impact of your debilitating mono (which some dumb azz cal fans never quite understood) & the poor gameday schematics of the prior staff which negatively impacted your season

diamonds are not always forever (but they shine brite regardless of the conflict)#

Hey Ivan, we are all really pulling for you to have a great NBA career, get your Cal degree and have a wonderful life (including your family!). So glad you chose to come to Cal!

Go Bears!
OzoneTheCat
Big C_Cal;842823819 said:

Hey Ivan, we are all really pulling for you to have a great NBA career, get your Cal degree and have a wonderful life (including your family!). So glad you chose to come to Cal!

Go Bears!

Agreed. Thank you, Ivan for representing Cal basketball! I'm looking forward to watching you play in the NBA. Go Bears!
bluesaxe
If getting an assistant is what's driving the choice of HC this search would be even more off the rails than anyone has suggested.

Shocky1;842823813 said:

what wheels don't fully understand/appreciate is the complicating factor of this search in not only finding the right head coach (which is critical for retaining cal's 2017 go all the way up class & also the pursuit of 2018 superstar jordan brown) but also the right assistant coaches so finding out who dennis gates might work with as an associate head coach (the answer is joe pasternack) is part of this process along with the fact that arizona is still playing in the ncca tournament this thursday nite in san jose

the football head coach was much simpler: identify & hire the right head football coach which pez & mike williams nailed & then give wilcox 100% autonomy in hiring his assistant coaches without any pressure to compromise (such as the significant support for returning ron gould to berkeley)

this search is like a 1000+ piece jigsaw puzzle with lots of moving parts, they all need to fit together seamlessly

89Bear
Shocky1;842823762 said:

Love the fact that he stayed home and played in front of his community!!! Classy and humble guy!! Good luck!
Shocky1
bluesaxe, selecting the right head coach that can build a staff (that is capable of recruiting high gpa true student athletes, something that martin & webster struggled with during their first 2 years in berkeley, they got better with the 2017 class) as outlined below takes time particularly at the world's #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

at academically mediocre schools you just identify the best possible coach, offer him a ****load of $, recruit the most talented top 100 2.5 gpa dumb azzs that you can sign & then start practicing in your state of the art dedicated basketball practice facility with minimal distractions from schoolwork & **** like that, there are no worries

cal isn't that school

Shocky1;842822293 said:

as referenced in my previous post, the #1 priority for the next head basketball coach (who will not be a cal grad) will be to retain current interim head coach wyking jones who is critical to the retention of cal's go all the way up class (2017) & is also well respected by the current guys on the team

the bears cannot afford to bring in assistant coaches who don't get cal's unique academic challenges from day 1, there's no time for a learning curve...i fully expect the next head coach (interviews with the selection committee tuesday & thursday of this upcoming week) to bring in 1-2 of the following former california golden bears:

dennis gates: the misinformed reports that he's being considered for the head coaching position are inaccurate, he's a priority as a top assistant coach that can recruit & sell cal academics having graduated from berkeley in 3 years during his playing days

theo robertson: cal's leading 3 pointer of all time was cal's business operations manager under coach montgomery, an assistant for the golden state warriors under steve kerr & is currently implementing the warriors offense for luke walton's los angeles lakers...theo told me about jordan brown back when he was in middle school, guy is a recruiting junkie

richard midgley: former bears hardnosed englishman who ventured to america for high school not knowing anyone, he's been a highly successful coach at modesto christian & is currently a nba scout for the atlanta hawks

lou richie: richie knows literally almost ever high school coach in california, he's coached up the bishop o'dowd dragons to a california open division state championship with young ivee & was originally offered an assistant coaching job by martin when he got hired by cal (lou turned down the job & it went to yanni hufnagel)

full disclosure: robertson, midgley & richie have been my floor guests multiple times at haas & i consider them friends, they are all hard working high character guys who bleed blue & gold

the world according to shocky (will happen)#:axe
Shocky1
erik musselman was never offered the position, cal did not get outbid by nevada

rivals fake news#
Shocky1
finally listed to the highly entertaining wheels podcast, not sure who knows less about the coaching search, ben parker or jon wheeler but at least jon is articulate

wheels said he "would bet his house that eric musselman would be the next head coach"...where's he living tonite?, hope it's not in the ditch left of the 2nd green at mayacama, that's a diabolical par 3 but strategically using the hillside to the right is always the smart play

dumb & dumber (leaky faucets)#
TexWoodyGiants
Shocky1;842823919 said:

bluesaxe, selecting the right head coach that can build a staff (that is capable of recruiting high gpa true student athletes, something that martin & webster struggled with during their first 2 years in berkeley, they got better with the 2017 class) as outlined below takes time particularly at the world's #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

at academically mediocre schools you just identify the best possible coach, offer him a ****load of $, recruit the most talented top 100 2.5 gpa dumb azzs that you can sign & then start practicing in your state of the art dedicated basketball practice facility with minimal distractions from schoolwork & **** like that, there are no worries

cal isn't that school

Fairly certain that Gates, Theo, Midgely and Richie, plus Turner and Decuire, would be better head coaches than your guy.
Shocky1
read young ivee's heartfelt letter to the cal family, he truly loves his teammates & the way they stayed together (unlike the deal maker who is not mentioned) thru adversity like brothers in building 50 year friendships

young ivee, you've been a special presence in berkeley & i hope you will truly fulfill your promise to tami to earn your berkeley degree, don't want tamarik to call you a dumb azz after he graduates from college, ok?

http://www.calbears.com/news/2017/3/21/rabb-declares-for-the-nba-draft.aspx?path=mbball

https://vimeo.com/45797764

98th avenue (get minted in the nba, my friend)#

Shocky1;842753163 said:

http://www.scout.com/college/california/story/1537271-ivan-rabb-commits-to-cal-full-video

young ivee is the goat

do you remember where you were on april 13, 2015 the day young ivee made his collegiate announcement at his moms tami place of cooking at the time, the ol' yeller cafe in oakland across the street from bishop o'dowd high school?

taylor & i were watching the live stream (check out the link above, i seriously can't even watch it now without getting chills down my spine) at our home in north scottsdale nervously holding hands/holding our breaths in the living room when ivan finally told the assembled audience that he was gonna attend "the university of cal berkeley" & cal's diamonds are forever class (2015) was born against all odds

we screamed non stop for 5 minutes, we laughed & we cried, it's a moment when time stood still, something that will forever bind us together...someday taylor will get married & during the dad speech i will remind her of that epic shared experience re: our shared love for the magic of cal basketball...and someday they are gonna rename the bod gym & he's gonna build academic/athletic facilities for the youth of oaktown & trust me taylor & i will be there

yeah, young ivee you are the goat

the day the earth stood still (and the planets aligned with love throughout the universe)#:bravo
Shocky1
TexWoodyGiants;842823959 said:

Fairly certain that Gates, Theo, Midgely and Richie, plus Turner and Decuire, would be better head coaches than your guy.

since you don't attend any cal basketball games in person, pretty sure that's an uniformed opinion
Shocky1
theo robertson has not been interviewed in person at this time
Shocky1
joe pasternack has had a 1 hour telephone conversation with mike williams but has not been interviewed in person at this time
TexWoodyGiants
Shocky1;842823984 said:

since you don't attend any cal basketball games in person, pretty sure that's an uniformed opinion

Absolutely certain your statement is an uninformed opinion. I have had season tickets for almost every year since KJ days (I didn't have them for a while as I've been working in LA for the past 18 plus years and even during those years I had season tickets for most of the time.). I contributed to the building of the Haas Pavilion (look in the entry way where donors are acknowledged). My wife and I and our twins had season tickets (4 chairbacks for many years). I now have 2 season tickets and attended almost every game this year. You sound a bit like Donald with your ridiculous accusations!
HoopDreams
Jordan Mathews finally spoke out re: his reasons for transferring.
He didn't want to say anything that would possibly harm his teammates, so he held it in until the coaching change.
Much respect to Jordan. Now go out and win this thing.

TexWoodyGiants
HoopDreams;842824006 said:

Jordan Mathews finally spoke out re: his reasons for transferring.
He didn't want to say anything that would possibly harm his teammates, so he held it in until the coaching change.
Much respect to Jordan. Now go out and win this thing.

You were boothed!
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Just how lucky were we to witness the basketball player and person of [COLOR="#000080"]Ivan Rabb[/COLOR]?

On Senior night after the game, Rabb stayed extra long and hung out with the fans, signing autographs and taking selfies.

OF COURSE, it was his last home game.

I told his Mom that I watched every minute of every one of her son's games. She laughed and said, "that's better than me!"

Ivan Rabb is going to the NBA, but he's bringing this Cal fan along for the ride.

Thank you for coming to Cal. Now go to work.[/SIZE]

brj1
Pasternak is DOA, quit trying tp spin that as a solid move.
First Page Last Page
Page 113 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.