cal's monster class deux

1,399,871 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
Chapman_is_Gone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842826249 said:

the monster is read by the coaches, staff & players (with the noteable exceptions of jordan mathews last season & stephen domingo this year) & the vast majority of the current recruiting targets for cal's go all the way up class (2017) & cal's started at the bottom class (2018)...the monster was read by ivan rabb & jaylen brown in high school & cal's potential next superstar jordan brown is also a follower

so it's kinda funny when white conservative middle class critics that favor censorship at the expense of free speech that doesn't represent their specific values say the monster doesn't reflect the university of california, berkeley...nothing could be further from the truth

we are all mutts of mixed descent#

What does skin color have to do with anything? You have no idea if the people who are nauseated with you are white or not.
You are an embarrassment to The University of California. If our new head coach even gives you five minutes of his time I will be tremendously disappointed in his judgment.
Shocky1
Chapman_is_Gone;842826266 said:

What does skin color have to do with anything? You have no idea if the people who are nauseated with you are white or not.
You are an embarrassment to The University of California. If our new head coach even gives you five minutes of his time I will be tremendously disappointed in his judgment.

well wyking has already given me 5 minutes of his time

just for the record, are you a white guy with conservative middle class values that favors censorship of any type of free speech?

sorry
HoopDreams
Jabari Bird averaged 14 points, 5 rebounds, an assist and steal this season. That’s up from 10.5 points and 3.3 rebounds the two years before, and 8 points, 2 rebounds his freshmen year. He’s an elite shooter with ideal SG size and length, and with his athleticism could rise about the defender to get a clean shot off. He was the best jump shooter on the team, driving, stopping and popping.

Jabari was the emotional leader and took down the Haas with his [COLOR="#2F4F4F"][FONT=Impact][SIZE=3]MONSTER[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] slams.

But that only tells half the story. He started his freshmen year as a talented yet skinny player with poor defense. His stance was upright and Pac12 wings took turns blowing by him as he reached and fouled as they went by. But as a senior, he was chiseled athlete and one of our best defenders, guarding the opponent’s most athletic wing.

As a senior we saw him step forward as the floor leader scoring more than 20 points in eight games (plus 15+ four more games) including 26 and 20 in the Pac12 Tournament.

A key player in the big wins the last four years, including beating #1 Arizona his freshmen season, a blowout win over #23 Syracuse in Madison Square Garden his soph year, shoting 6-10, and 4-5 from 3, hitting the game winner 3 vs a scrappy St Mary’s team, and helped beat #12 Arizona his junior year, and this year, making the game-winning play vs Utah in Double OT as he ran baseline and rose above the defense for a thunder game-winning dunk that brought the Haas down. He was the team MVP for the Pac 12 tournament wins over Oregon State (7-12, 3-6 from 3) and Utah (7-12, 4-6 from 3, 8-9 FTs).

Cal hadn’t been good in late game situations, so with the critical Utah game (again) teetering on the edge of another heart break, Jabari took the big moment upon himself. Instead of passing the ball off, he took the responsibility to dribble the ball to get fouled. When there was no foul, he weaved through two defenders, drew the help defender and hit the clutch shot. Some would say that was a bad decision, but it showed that Jabari was the undisputed leader of this team, and he was going to [FONT=Arial Black]JUST MAKE A PLAY[/FONT].

Injuries stopped him from soaring to his true potential, missing 4 games in 13/14, 10 games in 14/15, the NCAA tournament game last year, and 8 games this year, including the semi-finals of the Pac 12 tournament in the close loss vs Oregon. But each time Jabari would dig down deep, put in the tough hours rehabbing, working his way back into shape, and putting hours in the gym when no one was watching to get his rhythm back.

[COLOR="#000080"]Jabari Bird: elite basketball player, one of Cal's all-time leading scorers with 1600+ points, great teammate and student-athlete, and leader of men.[/COLOR]

Oh, and my fav Cal player.

Admin
Shocky1;842826249 said:

so it's kinda funny when white conservative middle class critics that favor censorship at the expense of free speech that doesn't represent their specific values say the monster doesn't reflect the university of california, berkeley...nothing could be further from the truth

Chapman_is_Gone;842826266 said:

Shocky1;842826268 said:

just for the record, are you a white guy with conservative middle class values that favors censorship of any type of free speech?

Our board has a very high Asian demographic, too. Are you saying our Asian posters don't have trouble with some of the things you post? Factually, that's not true.

You'd be better served to not continue to post that same ridiculous line over and over again. It has nothing to do with free speech.

You don't get to say whatever the hell you want to say with no regard to how other board members feel about it, even though for those that don't keep track of any post deletions besides their own, it may seem that way.
Shocky1
sheki;842826280 said:

Any chance we get back on his interested list? I thought he had us as one of the favorites earlier in the year.

brandon mccoy is a quiet silent commit to the oregon basketball organization, shoe money talks
Big C
south bender;842826244 said:

Pasternak simply needs to make a straightforward apology, as what he did was wrong. For him to dismiss what he did, if you are quoting him, as "a split second involuntary body reaction," is no apology. It is a pathetic excuse.

I think what needs to happen is that we need to forget about "the kick" and "the kicker", forever (even when our HC job opens up again). Now, "the kickee", that's another story. We will always remember him!
Shocky1

"i was recruited by coach wyking (when he was at louisville) when i was first looking at schools...we were two california guys in kentucky who started out as rivals but remained close...i saw him being able to do great things and to start his head coaching career as my head coach is one of the best things i could picture happening...having him as my head coach now is one of the best things I could ever see"

-marucs lee, community activist (with still a lot of wildcats twitter followers)

marcus, you told me before the nit game your now 222 lbs up from 211 lbs at the 2016 nba combine, you gotta play at 235+ lbs by this november & significantly improve your current crooked azz 50% free throw shooting along with developing offensive moves around the basket if you wanna be fulfill your vast potential as a 2018 nba draft lottery pick...you got literally millions of dollar in getting minted in the nba literally on the line contingent on your off season work ethic to finally put it all together...playing 35+ mpg next season you could lead the nation in blocked shots as part of potentially the best post interior d in the nation along with kam & the king, scoring inside against the california golden bears is gonna be a major ******* problem for opponents (including reid travis & kyle kuzma) next season

but more importantly your bringing your friend ashley judd (current grad student in berkeley) to the games at haas to sit by me on the floor next season is one of the best things I could picture happening

marcus, let's get this done, ok?

the time is now (for everything)#:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree
SRBear
Results probably matter as well. They are in the FF.
BeachedBear
Shocky1;842826208 said:

...my take is that he's kinda a modern day robin hood with a net worth of $3.6 billion dollars....

I don't think we're talking about the same Robin Hood.....

:p
Shocky1
BeachedBear;842826322 said:

I don't think we're talking about the same Robin Hood.....

:p

agreed

dal9
HoopDreams;842826270 said:

pretty crazy ups
NYCGOBEARS
dal9;842826330 said:

pretty crazy ups

That is one awesome photo.
SRBear
Thinking that should be some sort of violation on Tinkle....he's on the court and essentially bothering the shot from behind by raising his hands.
Shocky1
yanni hufnagel was jemarl baker's lead recruiter & also put cuonzo martin in touch with olivier sarr

blowback#
Jeff82
First challenge for the new coach--can he find a decent replacement for Baker? Time to show his chops as a recruiter.
Shocky1
Jeff82;842826474 said:

First challenge for the new coach--can he find a decent replacement for Baker? Time to show his chops as a recruiter.

replacing one of the top shooting guards in the nation that's academically qualified for cal isn't a realistic (possible but not likely) option in 2-3 weeks
Jeff82
I would like him to either pivot in a yoga-like fashion to then use the slot to meet another need, or simply fess up that it's a loss, and keep the scholarship open for use in the 2018 class. For example, getting a big that you know is a project and is already going to redshirt next year, but will be ready to contribute once we lose the Ks and Lee. What I don't want is to get a body just to have a body. We've done that all too often in recent years.
socaltownie
Jeff82;842826493 said:

I would like him to either pivot in a yoga-like fashion to then use the slot to meet another need, or simply fess up that it's a loss, and keep the scholarship open for use in the 2018 class. For example, getting a big that you know is a project and is already going to redshirt next year, but will be ready to contribute once we lose the Ks and Lee. What I don't want is to get a body just to have a body. We've done that all too often in recent years.

We need a point guard like no tomorrow. Coleman can play the 2 but we are in deep deep DODO if Charlie gets hurt. Seriously, right now it is use Coleman at the 1 or bring in Brandon.

We also need a 4. After lee, who?

Jesus we are thin without saar or baker.
oskidunker
What else is new. The
BearsObserver
Anticevich at the 4.

socaltownie;842826498 said:

We need a point guard like no tomorrow. Coleman can play the 2 but we are in deep deep DODO if Charlie gets hurt. Seriously, right now it is use Coleman at the 1 or bring in Brandon.

Jesus we are thin without saar or baker.
BearNecessities
Admin;842826277 said:

Our board has a very high Asian demographic, too. Are you saying our Asian posters don't have trouble with some of the things you post? Factually, that's not true.

You'd be better served to not continue to post that same ridiculous line over and over again. It has nothing to do with free speech.

You don't get to say whatever the hell you want to say with no regard to how other board members feel about it, even though for those that don't keep track of any post deletions besides their own, it may seem that way.

bump

:rollinglaugh:
Vineyardview
Daejon Davis and or Jay Nowell are consensus 4 star top 50 athletic shooting guards that might be available.
Shocky1
Vineyardview;842826520 said:

Daejon Davis and or Jay Nowell are consensus 4 star top 50 athletic shooting guards that might be available.

lorenzo romar is gonna join the los angeles clippers
OneKeg
socaltownie;842826498 said:

Roman Davis?

We just need good recruits period. We have very little depth everywhere, and many of the kids we do have will be playing in their first or second year at Cal.
Vineyardview
That's a shame his recruiting ability could benefit when recruiting Jaylen Nowell and Daejon Davis
Shocky1
trojans chimezie metu & bennie boatwright are telling nba sources that they are likely gonna declare for the 2017 draft

it's true nobody gives a **** about usc basketball

fight on (adios travelers)#
Shocky1
Vineyardview;842826545 said:

That's a shame his recruiting ability could benefit when recruiting Jaylen Nowell and Daejon Davis

don't understand your logic at all, why would lorenzo romar whose been making millions of dollars for years want to be an assistant coach in berkeley?
Vineyardview
for the glory and vindication -

In reality it wasn't a prediction rather just a far fetched snap reaction in recognition of the Baker loss and the fact that two of Romars recruits who are arguably better all around players at his position are looking for a new school and Romar if he cared could be a key to getting them to seriously consider California.

Will Wyking's unannounced staff have the connections and ability to fill the Baker slot with an equivalent talent?
Shocky1
martin & webster set the program back when they passed up on guards jonah mathews (3.5 gpa, now at usc) & jordan ford (3.9 gpa, now at st marys) while they vainly pursued multiple sub 3.0 gpa dumb azzs that never cleared cal admissions
UrsaMajor
Will he have a staff in place in time to do any recruiting at all?
BearsObserver
Spencer Freedman of Mater Dei?
CalEnviroLaw
Vineyardview;842826520 said:

Did Cal recruit those guys first time around? I don't recall that Cal was on their lists.
socaltownie
Shocky1;842826555 said:

martin & webster set the program back when they passed up on guards jonah mathews (3.5 gpa, now at usc) & jordan ford (3.9 gpa, now at st marys) while they vainly pursued multiple sub 3.0 gpa dumb azzs that never cleared cal admissions

I think that is right - especially Jonah who showed this year the skills to play in the Pac12. Haven't seen Ford to opine (as if that usually stops me).

What I don't understand is why Martin did this. The 3.0 is a great "hard cap" because it SHOULD stop coaches from being dumb and hoping for an exception. I guess they hope that a kid can "bring it up" but simply math isn't hard to do to figure out that once a sub 3.0 is "baked" not much is going to raise it above (absent a kid going to extraordinary lengths to do so because they are heart set on Cal (and then they would be far better advised to go to a CC for a year, play hard and study hard and then look to move after a year (which if I understand CC rules they can without penalty)
ccajon
Admin;842826277 said:

Wow.
Shocky1
CalEnviroLaw;842826559 said:

Did Cal recruit those guys first time around? I don't recall that Cal was on their lists.

travis decuire (when he has the associate head coach) told me that jaylen nowell (his nephew, 3.8 gpa) was a silent commit to cal back in the day
First Page Last Page
Page 119 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.