cal's monster class deux

1,380,401 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
6956bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MoragaBear;842827696 said:

The recruiting ability of the new staff will be outstanding

Proven recruiting ability or speculative based on name recognition and playing accomplishments. I would hope it is the former, but a mix with one proven and one speculative would be good as well.
6956bear
Shocky1;842827774 said:

agreed, there are no academic standards at oregon & arizona, coaches can offer acceptance letters on the spot...but more importantly their boosters & shoe companies will financially incentivize families of top 50 prospects, consider troy brown sr's aau support bump from nike for sending his son to eugene & deandre ayton's impoverished family moving from bermuda to hlllside prep in phoenix which offers online classes with exams taken by teammates before he heads down to tuscon for a year[/QUOTE

Many (most?) of the top 50 prospects see basketball as their meal ticket. Many do only enough to meet the minimum standards of NCAA eligibility. And those that cannot even do that have schools and shoe companies etc willing to find surrogate progams and test takers to get them eligible. It is for their enrichment not the player although the player may reap the financial benefit. What they do not have is a real support team around them to prepare them for adulthood. They are terrific players but lack the life skills to make that short term prosperity pay off. Cal needs to find those rare guys that have both. Top 50 game with life skills and support. Rabb and Brown had that. Both are gone now. Cal will live in the 51-150 prospect range for the vast majority of its recruits. You can build a program with those type players. Add the rare top 50 player that combines the skills needed at Cal and has the support at home and Cal can be very competitive within the upper tier of college basketball.
Shocky1

:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree:tree

sure hopes coach wyking gets to talk to the future of cal basketball isaac hymes while in the desert for the final four

isaac is the real deal, he can do it all (just ask him)...his older bro is gonna transfer from st marys to hillside prep & play for the las vegas prospects this summer before making his collegiate decision this fall before his senior season

yeah the future of cal basketball is all grown up

Shocky1;842804211 said:

this tuesday nite at marcos de niza high school in tempe i met the future of cal basketball, can you believe it?...with the end of the barrett jackson car auction & the start of the phoenix open in north scottsdale it was fun to get away from all the craziness in north scottsdale & go catch a high school basketball game driving south on the i-10 at the speed of light

so who's the future of cal basketball?...his name is isaac, he's kinda like shocky in that he's definitely not lacking in confidence plus he got a good gpa & great hair

anyways arrived at the gym & parked my wheels by the rally committee spirit & fish lunch special signs & sat in the 1st row of bleachers directly across from the st marys bench, it just like games in berkeley expect that is only cost 4 bucks for admission (i did not ask to be comped as the director of recruiting/player development for the cal basketball program)

i must be going to my yoga practice too many days (6 times this week) & getting too candy azz soft because i started to get a little emotional during the marcos de niza senior nite player introductions (the players walk thru this half circle brown & white balloon structure with their family and/or girlfriend) when theotis says his plans for after graduation are "to chill"...some of the crowd laughs but i'm profoundly saddened that this promising young man with an electric smile that could lite up vegas don't got any plans for his future that involve his gpa

in the 1st half kj hymes loses his defensive assignement multiple times, doesn't compete for rebounds & loose balls & scores only 8 points on the other end of the court as his shoot 1st/pass maana guards don't make entry passes to him & he don't frame his body with his azz out & arm outstretched to accept the ball...the knights are getting smoked

his coach (who richard midgley somehow knows) went to the failed bobby "off to the races" hurley school on how to tell (and totally alienate) the refs that they are pieces of **** for the entire game gets t'd up (again) & while the padre shoots the technical foul he tells the refs "that you don't want to know the truth"...the truth is that he isn't teaching sportsmanship or scheming to get his potential mcdonalds all american touches in the paint

so i'm standing in the hot dog line at halftime (only had a go go green smoothie fortified with extra vegetables all day) when i get a tap on the shoulder & turn around...it's a pretty young lady with her adorable 1 year old baby daughter & her younger (who's around 6') bro:

ebony: hi, we wanted to introduce ourselves, i'm ebony hymes, this is my daughter eelyzah and this is my brother isaac

shocky (wearing a green, the st marys colors, golf shirt from tara iti golf club north of auckland & his cal cap): it's awesome to meet you, my name is shocky, dude, i love your sweatshirt

isaac (wearing a cal sweatshirt): thanks, i'm a whole lot better than kj

shocky: really, what team are you on?

ebony (beaming with family pride): his team won the 7th grade championship today

shocky: congrats isaac, what's your skill set?

isaac: i can do everything, i can score, i can defend, i can do whatever my team needs me to do to win

shocky: wow, you certainly aren't lacking any confidence, what's your gpa?

isaac: all a's and sometimes a b

shocky: that's good to hear, just remember isaac that your gpa is more important than your scoring average...don't be a dumb azz, ok?

isaac (nodding): i know that

shocky (fist bumping isaac): of course you do, can you tell kj to demand the ball?

ebony: he's sick, he vomited right before the game

shocky: sorry to hear that, thought i heard your moms was a good cook

ebony (with a beautiful laugh & smile): we'll let you get your stuff but great meeting you and i hope we see you at more games

so the 2nd half starts & kj is playing on my end of the court & it's just like in berkeley with me 18 inches from the floor, time for the coaching to begin

i start talking in spanish to the knights 2 stocky (football players) latino senior guards telling them to pass the ball ahora to kj, that's he open when he flashes in the paint...and then i start yelling at kj to "demand the ball, go get it kj, demand the ball, impose your will"...and hymes starts playing more aggressively & scoring buckets which results in my amped up voice getting even louder...on offensive possessions i stand up to demonstrate to kj the proper way to post up, he seems to be nodding at my instructions...and the guards start to finally feed him & hymes starts knocking down mid range shots with some nifty footwork (also gets called for a couple of legit travels) & starts following up missed shots with fiery rebounding & physical put backs

this **** is getting live, the more kj scores, the louder i'm screaming "let's do this" & clapping my hands...we are both in the zone

anyways with my coaching up hymes the entire 2nd half he scores a dominating 25 points in around 13 minutes of action for a total of 33 points in the game...it's pretty obvious to everyone in the gym (including his dad kwame who is sitting on the other side of the gym behind the scorer's table) that if kj commits to the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world that i will coach him up to his nba aspirations

hymes is a nightmare match up at the 3 that needs to work with coach nic to be able to slide & bang at the 4...he's got a really good handle & can smoothly bring the ball up court...he knocks down free throws with a clean simple stroke...he's not aggressive enough on d but recognize that he was sick before the game

as the game winds down to the final couple of minutes an asu assistant coach leaves the gym with a bored out of his skull look, he's been looking at his phone the whole game & when kj throws down an electric reverse spin slam dunk he doesn't even see the fireworks which is a shame...he's only there because he was told to be there, it's pretty obvious that he wanted to be anywhere else on planet earth that tuesday nite other than the marcos de niza gym...as he passes by me i tell him with my crocodile smile "what up, tell bobby i said hello"...he looks at me with a quizzical look & nods and walks out of the gym with slumped shoulders

it was a fun nite in the desert, i got to meet the future of cal basketball in isaac hymes, too bad he's not all grown up yet

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) univesity in the world (including the state of arizona):gobears:
Vineyardview
Shocky1;842827739 said:

viney, since i posted this a week ago associate head coach tim o'toole has been announced, the other 2 guys will be highly personable coaches that can identify & develop talent, they will be high impact recruiters & quite frankly the cal basketball program is gonna need a serious infusion of new blood with the started at the bottom class (2018)

More to the point I'm wondering whether you think that the 2 unannounced assistant coaches may already be involved in the Wyking recruiting process?

As there have been so many comments from guys who seem to be in "the need to know" category about the laudatory characteristics and their recruiting skills I now think it's likely these fellows identities are well known by Wyking's pool of recruiting targets.

Is this assumption probable? Is it possible that these unannounced assistants are already leveraging their associations and experience to try to patch or supplement the 2017 class?
Shocky1
viney, you want concrete answers in a a non linear world at a time that the 2 assistant coaches contractual obligations do not permit their public identities to be known
Shocky1
check out this link re: the hymes family adoption of 3 relatives & notice the poised articulation of kj, can't wait to watch another one of his future games at hillside prep

http://www.sports360az.com/2016/12/st-marys-star-seeing-family-college-offers-growing/

love yourz#:wave:wave:wave
Shocky1
dear isaac,

how are you?

i am fine?

i'm 3 years old & love my new family, they give me lots of hugs

your family got lots of love too

shocky says that your the future of cal basketball, is that really true?

your friend,

dae

Shocky1;842785343 said:

it's not just rescue dogs that need adoption, consider my fighter little man dae brown recent's adoption in phoenix after 832 days in foster care...check out the link below, coach martin is gonna cry for sure, count on it

gotta love dae's triumphant fist pump, he's already got the basics down for being an amped fueled up cal fan when charlie, young ivee, bird man or the wolf of wall street drains a nba range 3 point moneyball

lots of love, dae, gonna attend your games in high school when your in high school, if you commit to them california golden bears then i'll even let you name the 2031 recruiting class, ok?...nothing but blue chip true student athletes, let's do this dae

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/a8527770/michael-brown-viral-twitter-adoption-pictures/?src=socialflowTW

normal people doing great things (assist to taylor chavez)#:cheer
Shocky1
make no mistake about it, nobody works harder in the cal athletic department than chris celona

athletic department major gifts/development director jeremy wang needs to fill up with a full tank of gas & go visit every donor including new prospects like mike milken & get the money raised so there's shovels in the ground on the too long delayed dedicated basketball practice facility...building non superficial relationships is critical in his role & also speaking with influential non donors like roxy would be a smart move too...jeremy, the time is now
socaltownie
Shocky1;842827859 said:

make no mistake about it, nobody works harder in the cal athletic department than chris celona

athletic department major gifts/development director jeremy wang needs to fill up with a full tank of gas & go visit every donor including new prospects like mike milken & get the money raised so there's shovels in the ground on the too long delayed dedicated basketball practice facility...building non superficial relationships is critical in his role & also speaking with influential non donors like roxy would be a smart move too...jeremy, the time is now

+1. It is the central job of any AD's office. I might say that Mike Williams should be riding shotgun.
Vineyardview
Is the delay in announcing the assistant's names attributable to their existing employment contacts or is it attributable to Cal's time consuming vetting and hiring process?

Both reasons have been offered by various people.
dal9
Vineyardview;842827865 said:

Is the delay in announcing the assistant's names attributable to their existing employment contacts or is it attributable to Cal's time consuming vetting and hiring process?

Clearly, it's waiting for the NBA season to end and for the obvious candidates, Phil Jackson and Ron Artest, to be freed up.
ColoradoBear
stu;842827448 said:

I think white mainstream centric $ are as good as any others, lets start spending them!What kind of yoga gets a stomach that flat? And what kind of mind juxtaposes the images in your two previous posts?

You don't want to see that chick eat some donuts? Well how about a top dog?
Shocky1
Vineyardview;842827865 said:

a lot of things have been offered by various misinformed people in the media
parentswerebears
Shocky1;842827941 said:

a lot of things have been offered by various misinformed people in the media

Way to provide an answer without an answer.�� I am a sucker for hype and I am stoked about the staff. I can't wait to see who Wyking brings on. Both coaches and players.
Shocky1
Chapman_is_Gone;842827946 said:

You are wrong far more often than you are right. I thought you and Martin were a "package deal"? Why don't you go follow him? 95% of this board would rejoice.

yet you read the monster every single day
Shocky1

another exclusive cal's monster class announcement:

charlie, i understand your reasons (multiple) for requesting your intent to transfer

yeah the misinformed journalists will offer their dumb azz news reports after they read this or eventually get the official press announcement but now is the not the time to discuss the specifics

gonna miss seeing you in berkeley, charlie
CalEnviroLaw
Shocky1;842827994 said:

charlie, i understand your reasons (multiple) for requesting your intent to transfer

yeah the misinformed journalists will offer their dumb azz news reports after they read this or eventually get the official press announcement but now is the not the time to discuss the specifics

Well, that is really sad news, if true. We were all looking forward to watching Charlie continue to grow as a young man and basketball player in Berkeley.

Edit: OK, I just looked at the clock, a few minutes past midnight and it is now officially ... April 1st. I think you got me on that one. :p
atoms
yikes if that's the case 😕
OzoneTheCat
the only published source is Shocky so far, but if true, not surprised given other circumstances. He's special and will succeed wherever he ends up. Love ya, Charlie.
ecb
Shocky1;842827994 said:

Hopefully this is just an April fools joke
atoms
oh yeah it's after midnight on this stupid day, huh
Shocky1
another cal's monster class exclusive announcement:

coach nic is gonna go to missouri, he is fiercely loyal to the deal maker & there were no guarantees with comcast renewing fallon's contract, wish both of them nothing but the best, they are very special people

coaching wyking has already selected the cal basketball program's next s&c program

life is not linear (no joke)#

Shocky1;842825723 said:

frank, i'm also very hopeful that coach nicodemus & his wife fallon smith will decide to stay in the bay area...christopher is very well regarded by the players & has built many meaningful relationships with them & also the women's tennis team...fallon is a san jose native (played basketball at ucla back in the day) & is an anchor/reporter for csn bay area covering her beloved oakland raiders, moving again for her would be a major career set back

martin's decision impacted a lot of people, hopefully coach nic will continue his tremendous s&c work in berkeley

http://www.csnbayarea.com/csn-tomboy/boy-my-dad-never-had

Shocky1
ecb;842828000 said:

Hopefully this is just an April fools joke

nope
Shocky1
Shocky1;842826555 said:

martin & webster set the program back when they passed up on guards jonah mathews (3.5 gpa, now at usc) & jordan ford (3.9 gpa, now at st marys) while they vainly pursued multiple sub 3.0 gpa dumb azzs that never cleared cal admissions

capiche?
Shocky1
Shocky1;842827439 said:

an infallible source (not jon rothstein) has told me that joe pasternack has the inside track (previously held by ucla's david grace) for the uc santa barbara head coaching position

hope this happens for pasternack, doing the hang with the donut boy of tuscon is exhausting if your not an insatiable fat azz who don't got a yoga/meditation practice

done deal, pasternack is the one guy that could've fundraised the millions immediately to get shovels in the ground for the dedicated basketball practice facility, now it's in the hands of the people that martin characterized as "amateur hour," not interviewing him in person (he was granted a telephone interview) was a borderline incompetent decision when you also consider that joe is the only candidate that could've also potentially kept baker & sarr (a previous silent commit) as cal signees & also built a coaching staff with superstar dennis gates (spoke at length last nite with dotun akinwale who raves about gates last nite at the adidas final four after party at the heard museum, dotun is now the nba director of scouting for the atlanta hawks & played for dennis at florida state back in the day), theo robertson & richard midgley...it's a shame that dennis was unprepared for his telephone interview

i'm still all in with coach wyking but the selection committee did not do their job in weighing all the factors (in my opinion they didn't understand all the recruiting & fundraising implications & connections in this decision) did not handle the hire with insider savvy & that's a shame...they wasted far too much precious time with bennett & musselman who were dead ends from day 1 when they should've been interviewing both gates & pasternack in person

reality is that mike williams (who i like very much on a personal level) does not have strong relationships with many of cal's largest donors (including the biggest of the whales) & his poor communications skills (doesn't return texts, emails & phone calls) have resulted in the next level of potential donors not stepping up to support the program along with the huge question mark if jeremy wang can actually do his job as the director of development & get shovels in the ground for the necessary practice facility
tsubamoto2001
Shocky1;842828030 said:

done deal, pasternack is the one guy that could've fundraised the millions immediately to get shovels in the ground for the dedicated basketball practice facility, now it's in the hands of the people that martin characterized as "amateur hour," not interviewing him in person (he was granted a telephone interview) was a borderline incompetent decision when you also consider that joe is the only candidate that could've also potentially kept baker & sarr (a previous silent commit) as cal signees & also built a coaching staff with superstar dennis gates (spoke at length last nite with dotun akinwale who raves about gates last nite at the adidas final four after party at the heard museum, dotun is now the nba director of scouting for the atlanta hawks & played for dennis at florida state back in the day), theo robertson & richard midgley...it's a shame that dennis was unprepared for his telephone interview

i'm still all in with coach wyking but the selection committee did not do their job in weighing all the factors (in my opinion they didn't understand all the recruiting & fundraising implications & connections in this decision) did not handle the hire with insider savvy & that's a shame...they wasted far too much precious time with bennett & musselman who were dead ends from day 1 when they should've been interviewing both gates & pasternack in person

reality is that mike williams (who i like very much on a personal level) does not have strong relationships with many of cal's largest donors (including the biggest of the whales) & his poor communications skills (doesn't return texts, emails & phone calls) have resulted in the next level of potential donors not stepping up to support the program along with the huge question mark if jeremy wang can actually do his job as the director of development & get shovels in the ground for the necessary practice facility

Sad, but I don't see a practice facility getting built under Williams' tenure. Dude bungled two coaching searches and was unprepared for Cuonzo's imminent departure.

On a somewhat related note, Noodles Neal is out at New Mexico. He got promoted when Alford unexpectedly left for UCLA. Hopefully, Wyking turns out better than that did.
socaltownie
Regarding Shocky's exclusive:

1) We will be lucky to do as well as Trinkle did this year up at Oregon State. Honestly it could be 1-2 wins in conference. We will have one of the worst rosters in the conference, with SIGNIFICANT minutes going to MULTIPLE walk ons. <Sigh>

2) Shocky sucks as a journalist and needs to once again understand that multiple sources, especially off the record, are needed.

3) (if true) another in the myriad of problems plaguing the program is that cal is so irrelevent that no real reporter cares.
brj1
An acute character flaw was too much to overcome for Pasternak. I saw the kicking incident close up, and at the time wondered, " what kind of jerk would do that ?" You have to draw the line somewhere. The speculation about retaining Baker's commitment is just that. I, for one, would have let my tickets lapse had your boy Joe been hired. While I agree with the need for a practice facility, Pasternak at Cal is a non starter solely based on the one incident we all saw. Perhaps a connected, dynamic AD could have created a larger pool of attractive young coaches, but Cal was always looking at taking a flyer on a younger candidate with upside given what they will willing to pay in salary and incentives. They may have found just that in Coach Jones.
Shocky1
what up, charlie?

i'm sorry you gotta answer a lot of questions right now (didn't mean to bring the heat on you) but here's the deal:

coach wyking loves you, he's gonna sit down with you & your moms hopefully next week...don't believe half the **** that illinois is telling you as they blatantly tamper with your azz

on a go forward basis, the cal basketball program is gonna be rebranded with you as the lead image, you are the next ivan, jaylen, etc...cal is gonna spenzo a big amount of freestyle to promote you both nationally & the bay area

charlie, you gotta make the best choices in life for you, i just hope you weigh you educational opportunities at the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) in the world (including chicago), a cal degree will ensure that you are minted after your nba/professional basketball days are over...the streets of chicago are littered with former ballers who didn't maximize their educational opportunities & now they are busing tables at lume's pancake house talking to anybody who will listen how they was a superstar before they blew out their knee back in the day, they are victims of their bad decisions

let's do this, charlie, taylor is gonna be pretty upset if you aren't leading your teammates into battle next season, let's set the mood for real

the midwest is ******* cold#:nono::nono::nono::nono:
UCBerkGrad
Shocky1;842828030 said:

done deal, pasternack is the one guy that could've fundraised the millions immediately to get shovels in the ground for the dedicated basketball practice facility

The ONE guy? Seriously? No one else can raise the money needed for a practice facility?

How is that a guy who assaulted a Cal player & hasn't been employed at Cal for 10 years is suddenly the ONE guy who can save the program?

Not buying any of it.
Shocky1

charlie, let's be real here, you got some really ******* ugly (almost a bad as that belly roll fat with the alky red beat down face paula) teammates but they are like rescue dogs, they are depending upon you for your stoic (love how you always wear your big stakes poker face on gamedays) leadership

yeah they are scary azz ugly mutts, but remember charlie, they are YOUR mutts

loyalty (who are you?)#:wave:wave:wave:wave
CalEnviroLaw
Shocky1;842828053 said:

what up, charlie?

i'm sorry you gotta answer a lot of questions right now (didn't mean to bring the heat on you) but here's the deal:

coach wyking loves you, he's gonna sit down with you & your moms hopefully next week...don't believe half the **** that illinois is telling you as they blatantly tamper with your azz

on a go forward basis, the cal basketball program is gonna be rebranded with you as the lead image, you are the next ivan, jaylen, etc...cal is gonna spenzo a big amount of freestyle to promote you both nationally & the bay area

charlie, you gotta make the best choices in life for you, i just hope you weigh you educational opportunities at the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) in the world (including chicago), a cal degree will ensure that you are minted after your nba/professional basketball days are over...the streets of chicago are littered with former ballers who didn't maximize their educational opportunities & now they are busing tables at lume's pancake house talking to anybody who will listen how they was a superstar before they blew out their knee back in the day, they are victims of their bad decisions

let's do this, charlie, taylor is gonna be pretty upset if you aren't leading your teammates into battle next season, let's set the mood for real

the midwest is ******* cold#:nono::nono::nono::nono:

Illinois? Really? I know that is Charlie's home state, but that is NOT a good choice. I have several friends who are Illini alums, and from what I have been told about their "student/athlete" situation, that would be a big step down from Cal in just about all aspects.
Shocky1
UCBerkGrad;842828055 said:

The ONE guy? Seriously? No one else can raise the money needed for a practice facility?

How is that a guy who assaulted a Cal player & hasn't been employed at Cal for 10 years is suddenly the ONE guy who can save the program?

Not buying any of it.

because pasternack is the one guy on planet earth who could've fundraised the necessary dollars from goldman, milken, etc. tomorrow

we're gonna get this done with wyking but it's gonna take the athletic director & the development team working their azzs off like their hair is on fire & that's not quite happening right now
Shocky1
dp, check your private messages & call me
HoopDreams
Charlie had a impressive freshmen year at Cal
Elite ball handler, range out to 3, attacks the basket and finishes
As a defender he had quick hands and was aggressive

but perhaps Charlie's biggest strength is his lead dog mentality. Charlie wants to go. He wants to push. He wants to attack.

And he wants the ball in his hands at the end of the game.

however Charlie was hot and cold at times. Our offense and defensive schemes weren't ideal for his style (nor Coleman's).

Cal had one of the slowest offensive tempos in the nation. Half court oriented, never breaking, and a mistake meant you'd sit and watch.

We had a top defense, but we sat back and let the opponent dictate the action, and we never trapped or made the ball handler uncomfortable. We did not create turnovers. And we rarely played zone.

Offensively and Defensively this just didn't fit Charlie's game.

But look what happened when a talented but cuffed 5-9 Jerome Randle from Chicago got a new Cal coach. The new coach changed the system, focused the offense around him, and unleashed him. Jerome had the green light to run, attack, and shoot. The result. Jerome Randle won the conference POY and Cal won the Conference Championship.

Wyking will be running the Louisville schemes. Fast breaks, spread the floor, attack the basket. He will mix up and disguise the defense. More zones, zone traps and aggressive defense that will cause turnovers and lead to fast breaks.

First Page Last Page
Page 122 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.