cal's monster class deux

1,489,772 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
bluesaxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Because they both have potential to be very good college basketball players. Sarr is a more mobile big than we have now and in the kind of system Jones plans to run I think he'd be useful from the start. Baker can shoot. We have no returnees who can shoot worth a damn except Charlie, if he's a returnee. Enough other people rate Baker highly that I'm willing to guess he's worth having and he's definitely better than the 0 we have for that spot at the moment.

CalEnviroLaw;842829079 said:

Why all the hand-wringing about Baker and Sarr?

Baker seemed like he might have been regressing his senior year. Sueing and JHD seem to be getting better and better. They were both named All CIF Southern Section first team, while Baker was not, even though his HS teammate Matt Mitchell (class of 2018) was. Cal has had more success with kids on the rise their senior year, e.g., Ryan Anderson, Allen Crabbe, etc. If I had to choose one of the three to lose out on, it would have to be Baker at this point. We shall see how that plays out, though.

As for Sarr, well he looked like a project. And Cal is fine for bigs next season, but bigs obviously will be a 2018 priority.
oskidunker
Chauca can shoot. If we play zone, he could be an option.
tsubamoto2001
bluesaxe;842829083 said:

Because they both have potential to be very good college basketball players. Sarr is a more mobile big than we have now and in the kind of system Jones plans to run I think he'd be useful from the start. Baker can shoot. We have no returnees who can shoot worth a damn except Charlie, if he's a returnee. Enough other people rate Baker highly that I'm willing to guess he's worth having and he's definitely better than the 0 we have for that spot at the moment.

Baker is getting looks from elite programs because of his shooting reputation. He only shot 34% from three in HS ball but led the Under Armour AAU circuit in made 3's. He's likely better than 34%, but yeah, if there's something next season's Cal team needs, it's perimeter shooting and that's why Baker is a big loss.
CalEnviroLaw
bluesaxe;842829083 said:

OK, but Baker is 6'1"/6'2", and not extremely athletic. He will be up against a lot of athletic 6'4"/6'5" guys at SG. It could be a problem unless he develops a quicker release. Man, I wish Bird had another year, 6'5", extreme hops, and a beautiful release. Cal is really going to miss him.

Sarr could be interesting. Hopefully, Cal can get another big of that caliber, or better.
CalEnviroLaw
tsubamoto2001;842829088 said:

Baker is getting looks from elite programs because of his shooting reputation. He only shot 34% from three in HS ball but led the Under Armour AAU circuit in made 3's. He's likely better than 34%, but yeah, if there's something next season's Cal team needs, it's perimeter shooting and that's why Baker is a big loss.

Wow, 34%? And he has that crooked leaning form kind of like Domingo. His list of 9 schools now has Kentucky, Arizona, Oregon, etc., so they must see something there.
PtownBear1
CalEnviroLaw;842829092 said:

Wow, 34%? And he has that crooked leaning form kind of like Domingo. His list of 9 schools now has Kentucky, Arizona, Oregon, etc., so they must see something there.

The attention Baker is getting from the top programs leads me to think there's a paucity of shooters in the 2017 class.
Shocky1
SFBear2012;842829108 said:

The attention Baker is getting from the top programs leads me to think there's a paucity of shooters in the 2017 class.

your comment re: baker leads me to think you've never seen him drain repeated nba range moneyballs at the south basketball as haas before a fall football game during his official visit to berkeley

that **** is perfect

partynextdoor#
berkeleyhigh91
SFBear2012;842829108 said:

Well its late in the game, top 50-60 recruits are usually committed, especially one of the better shoiters in the class.
BearsObserver
Ryan Parilla from James Logan HS (Union City) who played against Baker in the state finals has a higher 3-pt percentage. No info on his commitment.

http://www.maxpreps.com/leaders/basketball/,3-point/california/stat-leaders.htm?classyear=12&position=all
BearsObserver
if we are looking for 3-pt shooters, here is another one who is a senior (2017 class):

Max Leibowitz, PG, Valley Torah HS (LA San Fernando Valley area):

38% 3-pt shooter which is higher than Baker's %. On the MaxPreps state 3-pt leaders list I posted above.
berkeleyhigh91
BearBackerinLA;842829116 said:

Ryan Parilla from James Logan HS (Union City) who played against Baker in the state finals has a higher 3-pt percentage. No info on his commitment.

http://www.maxpreps.com/leaders/basketball/,3-point/california/stat-leaders.htm?classyear=12&position=all

BBLA, love your posts. Ryan looks pretty intriguing.
BearsObserver
Film:

BearBackerinLA;842829116 said:

parentswerebears
1st offer from Jones.
CalEnviroLaw
parentswerebears;842829153 said:

1st offer from Jones.

Cool! It seems that Stanfurd is also recruiting him. 2018 PF from Seattle.
CalEnviroLaw
tsubamoto2001;842829088 said:

By way of comparison, Don Coleman shot 43% from three in JC:

http://bearinsider.com/news/story.php?article=2009
tsubamoto2001
CalEnviroLaw;842829158 said:

By way of comparison, Don Coleman shot 43% from three in JC:

http://bearinsider.com/news/story.php?article=2009

Coleman looked nothing like a 43% 3 shooter last season. You've got to chalk that up to variance. Allen Crabbe hit 35% as a junior at Cal and is shooting 40% for his career so far in the NBA. I can confidently say based on seeing both Baker and Coleman shoot that Baker is a better shooter.
CalEnviroLaw
tsubamoto2001;842829161 said:

Coleman looked nothing like a 43% 3 shooter last season. You've got to chalk that up to variance. Allen Crabbe hit 35% as a junior at Cal and is shooting 40% for his career so far in the NBA. I can confidently say based on seeing both Baker and Coleman shoot that Baker is a better shooter.

Statistics versus opinion. Hmmm...
BearsObserver
Trevin Knell shot 48% from 3. Use the Maxpreps link to look up. Plus he can rebound.
CalEnviroLaw
BearBackerinLA;842829166 said:

Trevin Knell shot 48% from 3. Use the Maxpreps link to look up. Plus he can rebound.

Wow! That is impressive. It is hard to predict how that translates to the Pac-12, though, but I sure hope it does.

I saw Domingo hit 6 or 7 in a row from three during warmups, you would think he was the team's best shooter.
tsubamoto2001
CalEnviroLaw;842829164 said:

Statistics versus opinion. Hmmm...

Well, the statistics backed up my opinion. Coleman was 4 of 20 from 3 last season and a lot those attempts didn't come close. Good shooters don't miss by as much as he did. He also shot 61% from the FT line.
south bender
tsubamoto2001;842829171 said:

Well, the statistics backed up my opinion. Coleman was 4 of 20 from 3 last season and a lot those attempts didn't come close. Good shooters don't miss by as much as he did. He also shot 61% from the FT line.

+1. Good shooters don't miss by a mile. That Curry sometimes does is no contradiction Steph is pushing the limits that are far from the range of shots Coleman takes.
Big C
BearBackerinLA;842829122 said:

if we are looking for 3-pt shooters, here is another one who is a senior (2017 class):

Max Leibowitz, PG, Valley Torah HS (LA San Fernando Valley area):

38% 3-pt shooter which is higher than Baker's %. On the MaxPreps state 3-pt leaders list I posted above.

Are you seriously trying to find us a replacement for Baker by scanning high school stats looking for guys that had a 3 pt percentage higher than JB's 34%?

I hardly know where to begin here, but, well, thanks for the information.

* Edit * Sorry for the tone of this post (above). I plead "end-of-a-long-day".
BearsObserver
you have other suggestions? I like to hear.

And no, I don't just pick out anyone with higher 3 pt %. I look for those who also received awards or accolades such as All-CIF, County MVP, etc from local sports writers who cover these players. Plus I look for those who are likely to have the grades to qualify for admission. The names I posted on other threads have been mentioned as having high academics.

Big C_Cal;842829186 said:

Are you seriously trying to find us a replacement for Baker by scanning high school stats looking for guys that had a 3 pt percentage higher than JB's 34%?

I hardly know where to begin here, but, well, thanks for the information.
Big C
BearBackerinLA;842829189 said:

you have other suggestions? I like to hear.

And no, I don't just pick out anyone with higher 3 pt %. I look for those who also received awards or accolades such as All-CIF, County MVP, etc from local sports writers who cover these players. Plus I look for those who are likely to have the grades to qualify for admission.

That's right, I saw the grades and awards/accolades for some of the players in your recent posts. Glad to see the breadth of qualifications. No, I have no other suggestions.

Go Bears!
CalEnviroLaw
tsubamoto2001;842829171 said:

So Coleman lost 23% moving up from JC. If Baker loses 23% moving up from HS, he would be at 11%, worse than Domingo.:cry:
Shocky1
mike williams has spearheaded the raised academic standards as evidenced by the most recent 997 for football & 1000 for basketball apr scores and made a gutsy change in the football program leadership to coach wilcox (huge props to chris pezman) along with a good hire in coach wyking for the basketball program since his may of 2014 hiring as the interim (became official a year later) athletic director

there have also been problems, while williams has been easy to converse with substance for me, the vast majority of football/basketball season tix holders, donors of all levels & coaches view him as an extremely poor communicator...williams inexplicably does not return texts or phone calls, i have heard that story hundreds of times & he's currently burying the athletic department revenue flow with this catastrophic disregard for his consituents

and this is never gonna change because mike thinks he's a good communicator, he thinks his annual trip to rosewood retirement homes makes him accessible when nothing could be further from the truth...cal desperately needs an athletic director that responds to ALL texts, letters & phone calls, that's what happens in a true sales culture environment that is focused upon serving their clients, that's not happening right now

what has been the net result of willliams abject failure to communicate?

*****football season tixs & donations are decreasing at historic levels, fans have tried to communicate with him re: their frustrations re: start times, etc. (many of which are beyond his control) & he's ignored them

*****per the article below (which is about a donor with an agenda toward a basketball coach that was not selected) there are many major donors who are done donating to cal as long as mike williams is the athletic director, donors are "disengaging" their involvement with the university because of his inaccessibility which is viewed as "smug and arrogant"...in fact many of the largest donors are meeting this week to discuss their withholding of future donations & the best manner to deal with willliams, the killer whales are not happy

*****williams has also had poor relationships with dykes (understandable, his demands were constantly in flux depending upon the day of the week) & martin (not understandable, the deal maker viewed williams as part of cal's "amateur hour" which resulted in 1) no shovels in the ground re: a dedicated practice facility which resulted in the team practicing 3 times this season at a local high school 2) the team flying commercial instead of charter for in school session road trips & 3) the misuse of meb funds for operational costs like recruiting expenses

*****the dedicated basketball practice facility is dead in the water as long as mike williams is the athletic director...cal's lead (and biggest) donor ($10m) has withdrawn his support of this project & will not give another cent until there is a change in the athletic director...all of the $ needs to be collected upfront (which is a prudent fiscal policy after the memorial stadium crushing debt fiasco) & the university is also requiring significant contingency fund financing too, so a $20-$22m project would require $27m in the bank before shovels could be in the ground...the monster focuses on the cal basketball program becoming an elite program that competes for championships with high character true student athletes, the program is ****** without a dedicated basketball practice facility, most 4 & 5 star elite recruits want to practice their craft/pursue their nba aspirations with 24/7/365 access to a private gym

mike, it's in the best interests of cal athletics that you resign at this time, you have alienated too many season tix holders & donors with your poor communication skills/inability to build meaningful relationships for you to continue as the athletic director...the sports cuts are coming & you aren't the right person to build consensus & get this done (otherwise it would've already happened) as the modern day financial realities require a balanced budget athletic department

if you don't do this, mike, the killer whales are probably gonna communicate to chancellor christ that they are done with donating to cal anymore & that would be a shame, then she would be either forced to fire you or let cal become a mid major type athletic program with insurmountable debt that would eventually led to the downgrading of all sports on campus

the ball is in your court, mike, what are you gonna do?

http://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/article/Some-of-Cal-s-biggest-donors-are-furious-at-11042737.php

killer whales (don't like lousy communicators)#:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:
oskidunker
Great post. Totally agree. Not sure why he cant improve communications.
DWM81
I am a 1s time poster on this thread. *What is Charlie Moore's status? Is he projected to remain at Cal or transfer?

THANK YOU...
Shocky1
DWM81;842829225 said:

I am a 1s time poster on this thread. *What is Charlie Moore's status? Is he projected to remain at Cal or transfer?

THANK YOU...

welcome dwm

charlie is being shown a lot of love right now from coach wyking, his teammates & the staff along with specifics of the rebranding of the cal basketball program with moore as the face kinda like jaylen & ivan back in the day

compliance is also explaining the ncca rules change that no longer allows hardship transfers to receive immediate eligibility, guys gotta sit out a year which isn't a great idea if you got nba aspirations

moore is gonna make the best decision for himself, he's not a dumb azz, he got a 3.0+ gpa his 1st semester in berkeley, love this guy

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/ncaa-drops-immediate-eligibility-hardship-waiver-for-transfers-191437627.html

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including illinois):bravo
oskidunker
Nobody knows. He was in the photo of the team watching the final four at the coaches house. If he leaves, it is probably to be close to his father,who had a stroke. We might know something this week. Would be a devastating loss. Hopefully something can be worked out so he can stay and maybe get to go home once in a while.
Cal Geek
Mike Williams acts like he does not care. My two emails to him went unanswered. No answer from him, nor anyone in his office.
philbert
Theo finally announced! :woohoo

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 3m3 minutes ago
New Cal coach Wyking Jones has hired Theo Robertson -- who played at Cal and has been with the Lakers this season.
UrsaMajor
Surprisingly, Shocky, I find I agree with almost all of this post :bluecarrot:

A few corrections/additions: While MW is a major part of the problem, the dedicated practice facility is going to be a difficult sell for a number of other reasons as well. For one thing, the campus is under state mandate to increase undergraduate enrollment, and there is an acute shortage of student housing. The number one priority right now is to build new student housing, and there is competition for land. I realize that the spot where the practice gym might be wouldn't do for housing, there is a cascade effect. There is also the perception of athletics getting more while it remains in the hole financially, which is likely to upset other constituencies on campus.

While there is general approval of the hiring of Wilcox for football, MW is getting slammed (rightly, in my view) for the extension to Dykes a year before canning him. This kind of indecision/reversal of course is paradigmatic of his tenure. As a result, we are on the hook for a sizable buyout that didn't need to be.

Whether or not major donors support MW (most don't), he's likely gone regardless. If, in fact, there is a $10 million donation that is contingent on MW leaving, that is just icing on the cake. I just hope that isn't because the donor's favorite candidate for HC wasn't chosen. That would cause me to lose respect for him (and I currently respect him a lot).

Finally, as for MW's lack of communication skills, I can vouch for that as well. I had a question for him about how a major gift of ours was being handled, and he never responded to calls. When we finally set up a meeting through his staff at a football game, he didn't show up. We got the information eventually from a staffer, but as a CEO you just don't f...ing do that.
socaltownie
http://verbalcommits.com/players/j-raan-brooks

offered for 2018 per kids twitter and others.
Sebastabear
UrsaMajor;842829291 said:

Surprisingly, Shocky, I find I agree with almost all of this post :bluecarrot:

A few corrections/additions: While MW is a major part of the problem, the dedicated practice facility is going to be a difficult sell for a number of other reasons as well. For one thing, the campus is under state mandate to increase undergraduate enrollment, and there is an acute shortage of student housing. The number one priority right now is to build new student housing, and there is competition for land. I realize that the spot where the practice gym might be wouldn't do for housing, there is a cascade effect. There is also the perception of athletics getting more while it remains in the hole financially, which is likely to upset other constituencies on campus.

While there is general approval of the hiring of Wilcox for football, MW is getting slammed (rightly, in my view) for the extension to Dykes a year before canning him. This kind of indecision/reversal of course is paradigmatic of his tenure. As a result, we are on the hook for a sizable buyout that didn't need to be.

Whether or not major donors support MW (most don't), he's likely gone regardless. If, in fact, there is a $10 million donation that is contingent on MW leaving, that is just icing on the cake. I just hope that isn't because the donor's favorite candidate for HC wasn't chosen. That would cause me to lose respect for him (and I currently respect him a lot).

Finally, as for MW's lack of communication skills, I can vouch for that as well. I had a question for him about how a major gift of ours was being handled, and he never responded to calls. When we finally set up a meeting through his staff at a football game, he didn't show up. We got the information eventually from a staffer, but as a CEO you just don't f...ing do that.

+1. This is no bueno. And add me to the list of folks posting for the first time on the Monster Thread.
First Page Last Page
Page 126 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.