Assistant coaches at USC and AZ among those arrested...

45,759 Views | 222 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by EricBear
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

calgldnbear said:

Any number of schools may be involved but as far as we know right now, the major brand involved is Adidas. Cal was hooked up with Nike and now Under Armour so we don't have the Adidas stigma associated with us

Isn't Fucla an Adidas school???
UCLA was an Adidas school until recently and the basketball program had some highly unusual relationships that everyone seemed to turn the other cheek. Again, I would not assume that the current regime is involved.
IIRC, Howland reportedly alienated AAU and high school coaches in California, and he was bringing in 4 and 5 star recruits from various locations outside of California.
6956bear
PalyBear said:

MinotStateBeav said:

bearchamp said:

More than a decade ago the NCAA had tapes, receipts, photos and the like that implicated about 20 of the top 25 football teams: and did nothing. The NCAA has no interest in "cleaning" up college sports, only in making money. Agents have been paying high school players and their families, through "AAU" programs for decades.
this is different..this isn't the NCAA..this is the Feds...haha. They don't lose often.

Good chance this spills over into football recruiting eventually. By the end this is a good thing for college sports. Feds are doing the job the NCAA is supposed to do but don't have the balls to do.
Football is a lot harder to predict professional success than hoops. Injuries, physical development etc all play into the dynamic. So you will see less of this sort of corruption, where shoe companies, agents and handlers are involved. But there are some emerging trends. 7 v 7 football clubs often run by ex players and sports training mentors that again are often ex players or trainers. They get players associated with them and use their influence to encourage certain behaviors. Coaches now need to develop relationships with these types. Nothing like hoops for now, but worth watching.

Football will remain a mostly booster supported enterprise IMO. Boosters will funnel money, cars, housing etc to players and families in exchange for a LOI signature.
TheSouseFamily
6956bear said:

PalyBear said:

MinotStateBeav said:

bearchamp said:

More than a decade ago the NCAA had tapes, receipts, photos and the like that implicated about 20 of the top 25 football teams: and did nothing. The NCAA has no interest in "cleaning" up college sports, only in making money. Agents have been paying high school players and their families, through "AAU" programs for decades.
this is different..this isn't the NCAA..this is the Feds...haha. They don't lose often.

Good chance this spills over into football recruiting eventually. By the end this is a good thing for college sports. Feds are doing the job the NCAA is supposed to do but don't have the balls to do.
Football is a lot harder to predict professional success than hoops. Injuries, physical development etc all play into the dynamic. So you will see less of this sort of corruption, where shoe companies, agents and handlers are involved. But there are some emerging trends. 7 v 7 football clubs often run by ex players and sports training mentors that again are often ex players or trainers. They get players associated with them and use their influence to encourage certain behaviors. Coaches now need to develop relationships with these types. Nothing like hoops for now, but worth watching.

Football will remain a mostly booster supported enterprise IMO. Boosters will funnel money, cars, housing etc to players and families in exchange for a LOI signature.

Football is absolutely dirty but the environment around basketball makes it more susceptible to this kind of thing. One and done changes the dynamic completely and reduces the risk profile for the money people. Also, one player in basketball makes a much bigger difference. 5 starters versus 22 starters makes any one player more valuable. And lastly, as an AAU coach said yesterday, football players don't sell shoes and apparel. Basketball players do. Heck, Michigan and UNC's football jerseys have a picture of a basketball player on them.
TheSouseFamily
Looks like the first scalp will be taken today. Pitino (and perhaps the AD) appear to be out.

http://www.lex18.com/story/36463879/espn-louisville-sources-say-pitino-jurich-expected-out
MinotStateBeav
Pretty pathetic by Pitino to play the "I had no idea" card. I would say it's extremely rare for an assistant coach to do anything without the head guys approval. Same goes for Sean Miller at Zona.
concordtom
MSaviolives said:

Arizona had their Media Day scheduled for tomorrow....awkward

"The UA also postponed plans for a Wednesday media day for the team. The event has yet to be rescheduled."
concordtom
TheSouseFamily said:

The allegations involving Book Richardson appear to implicate Pasternak as well. He's mentioned (albeit unnamed) in the formal allegations a couple of times (see page 36-38) as having dinner with Book Richardson in Vegas this March (pac-12 tourney) as well as the informant and Sood, (a defendant) to discuss their relationship. Pasternack also had follow up cell phone exhanges with Sood. Sood later says after the dinner that the "coaches" (plural) are "interested in working with us."

That is, unless there's another Arizona assistant that was an assistant then and isn't now. Anyone still pining for Joe P?

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998756/download

ROXIE BERNSTEIN

calgldnbear
concordtom said:

MSaviolives said:

Arizona had their Media Day scheduled for tomorrow....awkward

"The UA also postponed plans for a Wednesday media day for the team. The event has yet to be rescheduled."
cowards.....
concordtom
MinotStateBeav said:

Pretty pathetic by Pitino to play the "I had no idea" card. I would say it's extremely rare for an assistant coach to do anything without the head guys approval. Same goes for Sean Miller at Zona.

Agreed.
I mean, with no personal agenda here, they gotta be fired, right?
parentswerebears
I am looking forward to the dominoes falling. I hope all guilty parties fall. Clean it up!
MSaviolives
They need time to formulate Miller's answer to the inevitable first question:

Reporter: Coach, what did you know and when did you know it?

Coach Miller: We are here to discuss our upcoming basketball season and the fine young men in our program. Look over there! A cat!!

[Edited to correct typo]
concordtom
PalyBear said:

MinotStateBeav said:

bearchamp said:

I agree. However I doubt much will change. The situation is likely widespread and too hard to clean up.
concordtom
NVBear78 said:

What about *****gon and Altman? The way he picks up multiple transfers every year is sketch.

The whole system is sketch!!!!
College basketball generates BILLIONS in revenue.
concordtom
parentswerebears said:

I am looking forward to the dominoes falling. I hope all guilty parties fall. Clean it up!

Is Butte's basketball team any good?
If all the dominoes fall, that's what we'll be left to watch. I bet the NCAA itself could be hung, too, if the book were thrown at them.
concordtom
MSaviolives said:

Coach Miller: We are here to discuss our upcoming basketball system and the fine young men in our program. Look over there! A cat!!

Was it Miller who came up with:
"A players program"
That's their URL or twitter or motto.
We "get" the meaning.
calfanz

U of PAY!!!
U of PAY!!!
U of PAY!!!

U of PAY!!!
U of PAY!!!
U of PAY!!!
calfanz
"A payers program"
bearsandgiants
Pitino gone at Louisville. How long before this takes out our own coach? I hope to hell that's why he left. i.e. didn't want any part of it.
MilleniaBear
Now that Pitino is toast...what are the chances Louisville makes a run at OUR coach?
85Bear
A 4-star forward just decommitted from Auburn.

EJ Montgomery decommits
concordtom
Was UA a major competitor for Jordan Brown? I think so.
This could be good for us.
MSaviolives
All this makes Huff's escapades and our wide receiver coach who got caught in a prostitution sting seem so pedestrian. Of course, we have had our own payoff shenanigans. See e.g., Bozeman, Todd.
MinotStateBeav
concordtom said:

MSaviolives said:

Coach Miller: We are here to discuss our upcoming basketball system and the fine young men in our program. Look over there! A cat!!

Was it Miller who came up with:
"A players program"
That's their URL or twitter or motto.
We "get" the meaning.

I saw we create a new slogan for Zona..

"A payers program"

Damn it...Calfanz beat me to that hot take.
85Bear
I admit I do kind of miss Shocky now.
bluehenbear
MSaviolives said:

This could be the launching point for the NCAA...
Um yeah...I"m sure they'll get right on it.

SFCityBear
85Bear said:

A 4-star forward just decommitted from Auburn.

EJ Montgomery decommits
Did he have to give back the money?
SFCityBear
bearsandgiants said:

Pitino gone at Louisville. How long before this takes out our own coach? I hope to hell that's why he left. i.e. didn't want any part of it.
Let's hope so. We never, ever want a Bozeman repeat. That ended up costing Cal basketball players and fans alike a lot of years.
bluehenbear
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/ncaa-statement-mark-emmert-federal-investigation
UCBerkGrad
bearsandgiants said:

Coincidently, Wyking was on my flight to Portland this morning. I wanted to ask him about it but didn't think it was appropriate. Did give him a "Go Bears!" though.
85Bear
bluehenbear said:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/ncaa-statement-mark-emmert-federal-investigation
Rings pretty hollow to me.
parentswerebears
concordtom said:

parentswerebears said:

Is Butte's basketball team any good?
If all the dominoes fall, that's what we'll be left to watch. I bet the NCAA itself could be hung, too, if the book were thrown at them.

You've got to break some eggs to make an omelet. Go Roadrunners!
BearSD
MilleniaBear said:

Now that Pitino is toast...what are the chances Louisville makes a run at OUR coach?

If the people in charge at Louisville have any common sense, they have to know that when the NCAA gets around to this they are going to get nuked. At a minimum, they'll lose scholarships and get a multi-year postseason ban. They are going to be radioactive for awhile, it's just a question of how long.

If they remove all traces of anyone connected to Pitino and/or adidas, and cough up all paper and computer records to investigators, they might be able to keep the postseason ban down to 3 or 4 years.

So I think they need someone who has never before had any ties to Louisville, or Pitino, or adidas. That includes not only former assistants like Wyking Jones or Reggie Theus, but also Tom Crean, who has been mentioned as a possible next head coach there. Indiana has been with adidas for a long time, and one of the Pitino assistants named in the federal case against the adidas guy was a Crean assistant at IU until about two years ago.

Cal89
85Bear said:

bluehenbear said:

Rings pretty hollow to me.
Yup. Compare to Petino's yesterday...
Sig test...
Cal Insider
A few guys on Outside the Lines just blasted the entire NCAA and brought in a ton of names from the past that were guilty. Basically, this isn't an isolated incident but rather how business works with the shoe companies, agents, etc. and is created and swept under the rug by the NCAA. Seems like a lot more are guilty here........it's the way business works. Jason Williams and Sunny Vacarro (former agent) made these claims....
BearSD
Attn: Andy Enfield, Sean Miller, Cuonzo Martin, other Nike head coaches

[url=https://twitter.com/DarrenHeitner][/url]
Quote:

Darren Heitner
@DarrenHeitner

Sources: Employees of Nike's EYBL grassroots division, along with documents, have been subpoenaed by FBI in furtherance of investigation

10:40 AM - 27 Sep 2017

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.