Assistant coaches at USC and AZ among those arrested...

45,598 Views | 222 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by EricBear
bearsandgiants
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RJABear said:

BearSD said:

From Twitter:

Beautiful. That made my day

Might have to plagiarize for the Arizona game, with "U of Pay" on the back.

Just make sure to keep it blue!
bluehenbear
Todd Bozeman is coaching D1 basketball again, and has been for a few years now.
ncbears
Now here's a bad shoe deal for a university: Louisville: Ah shucks, Pitino takes the bucks
And its not like the University of California coaches whose salary - at least at one point in time - were limited, so their compensation was based on "outside" sources, like "media contracts". But all the same, maybe someone should take another look at the Athletic Department endorsement contracts in the Pac12
UrsaMajor
Now Padgett is left without assistant coaches and Louisville is "re-thinking" it's Adidas contract.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20935925/louisville-cardinals-place-assistant-coaches-kenny-johnson-jordan-fair-paid-leave

BTW: Cal connection--Coach Padgett is Jim Padgett's grandson.
wifeisafurd
concernedparent said:

Cal89 said:

Wow, just wow.

From someone who does investigations for my employer, and has for 15 or so years, I am quite happy to hear this news. I often pitch the schemes I uncover to the FBI, and then work closely with them over many months and years to get closure. I'm batting 1,000 as they have taken every case I've presented. Everything changes when the feds get involved. Whole new ballgame folks...

The Special Agents I've worked with are damn smart, thorough and have some serious authority of course. I've been in on search warrants with them, in interviews and proffer sessions, and when at the table with these guys, others get ratted-out and fast, grown men cry.

The NCAA? They likely don't know for a damn good reason. My guess is that they are on the radar too, if not already, for being complicit. Either way, they are the mouse watching the cheese and as we know, it's not always in their best interest to crack-down on such shenanigans.

Really curious where this goes...

As much as we like to laugh about government workers hamming it up, and punching clock for a pension, federal attorneys don't **** around. They by and large come from top schools or are laterals from top firms, turn down far more lucrative careers purely for the chance to take on cases like this, have reach and resources second to none. If these coaches are as dirty as we think they are, this is going to be huge.
Second this. And they are looking to roll heads in order to advance.
Jeff82
UrsaMajor said:

Now Padgett is left without assistant coaches and Louisville is "re-thinking" it's Adidas contract.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20935925/louisville-cardinals-place-assistant-coaches-kenny-johnson-jordan-fair-paid-leave

I was wondering about that, given his name. His grandfather recruited some of the greatest basketball athletes Cal has had, but couldn't always figure out what to do with them. Also, some were not great in the classroom, I've been told.
UrsaMajor
Jeff82 said:

I was wondering about that, given his name. His grandfather recruited some of the greatest basketball athletes Cal has had, but couldn't ever figure out what to do with them. Also, some were not great in the classroom, I've been told.
FIFY
oskidunker
He admitted he could not coach. Very sad.
Go Bears!
BearDevil
UrsaMajor said:

Somehow weaseled our way into court side seats for the 2002 Pete Newell Challenge (Cal/Kansas, LSJU/Zags). Was standing directly behind Monty while he was watching warm ups and chatting with a donor. Knew he wasn't long for the farm when I overheard Monty scoff about "the Reno kid's" (Padgett) application being sent to admissions. Both Padgett and Omar Wilkes initially ended up at Kansas before moving on.
EricBear
Staff
I think this is an important point and am glad JA Adande wrote about it:

https://theundefeated.com/features/black-assistant-coaches-get-hurt-the-most-in-recruiting-scandals/

Speaks to a lot of underlying issues in this scandal. Rick PItino, Sean Miller, Bruce Pearl, etc.: they all know what's going on.

UrsaMajor
EricBear said:

I think this is an important point and am glad JA Adande wrote about it:

https://theundefeated.com/features/black-assistant-coaches-get-hurt-the-most-in-recruiting-scandals/

Speaks to a lot of underlying issues in this scandal. Rick PItino, Sean Miller, Bruce Pearl, etc.: they all know what's going on.

Agree. Interestingly, there are 2 black head coaches in the Pac-12 (Wyking and Ernie Kent, although Ernie may not be long for the job). This is down from the time when Graham was at ASU, Romar at UDub, Johnson at Stanfurd, Patton at CU, Kent at UO, Robinson at OSU.
joe amos yaks
Jeff82 said:

UrsaMajor said:

I was wondering about that, given his name. His grandfather recruited some of the greatest basketball athletes Cal has had, but couldn't always figure out what to do with them. Also, some were not great in the classroom, I've been told.
>" . . . couldn't always figure out what to do . . . I've been told . . . "<

Ask uCLA's late Coach Wooden what he thought about it.
MinotStateBeav
What a BS article. These guys are knee deep in the AAU circuit..THAT's why they got hired. They knew exactly what they were doing and why they got hired. It wasn't to 'coach'.
EricBear
Staff
Meanwhile:

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball/2017/9/27/16376992/arizona-wildcats-basketball-allegedly-offered-recruit-150000-fbi-documents-charges-book-Richardson

I wonder where Book Richardson, who had been with Miller for 11 years, was going to get that $150k?

Nonsense.
BearSD
EricBear said:

I wonder where Book Richardson, who had been with Miller for 11 years, was going to get that $150k?
You know where. N-I-K-E.

Calfans
Wonder what Shocky1 would say about all of this.
Cal-i-for-nia. (Clap, Clap)(Clap, Clap, Clap)

EricBear
Staff
Some strong quotes from Krystkowiak in here:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/10/08/utah-coaches-hope-fbi-investigation-into-dark-underbelly-of-ncaa-mens-basketball-scandal-ends-recruiting-problems/
TheSouseFamily
Some interesting comments in the LA Times about the investigation.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-college-basketball-scandal-20171010-story,amp.html

"Two people involved in the case, who spoke on the condition they not be identified because of the ongoing legal proceedings, said they expect more college coaches and others involved with grassroots basketball programs to be charged later this month.

"This is the tip of the iceberg," one of them said.

One former high-major college coach who retains deep connections in the business said he believes the case will lead to 40 to 50 job openings for head and assistant coaches by the spring."

bearsandgiants
Calm before the storm?
6956bear
TheSouseFamily said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-college-basketball-scandal-20171010-story,amp.html

"Two people involved in the case, who spoke on the condition they not be identified because of the ongoing legal proceedings, said they expect more college coaches and others involved with grassroots basketball programs to be charged later this month.

One former high-major college coach who retains deep connections in the business said he believes the case will lead to 40 to 50 job openings for head and assistant coaches by the spring."

One can guess the other programs likely to be implicated in this. Kansas would top my guess list. Followed closely by Syracuse, UNC, Kentucky, Oregon and Florida St.
UrsaMajor
I'd say Oregon is #1 on the list, followed by (in no particular order) Kentucky, UNC, UCLA, Syracuse, Kansas, UDub.
bluehenbear
UC Los Angeles just gave Alford a contract extension. Hmmmm....
TheSouseFamily
Congrats to Monty for landing a seat on the new NCAA college basketball commission led by that lady Furd. Sign of respect for sure.

http://www.ncaa.org/governance/ncaa-commission-college-basketball

MilleniaBear
Something is brewing about Kansas....anybody got the skinny?
TheSouseFamily
MilleniaBear said:

http://www.kansan.com/sports/fbi-says-it-cannot-release-documents-regarding-ku-involvement-with/article_af64a0ec-aeee-11e7-8c18-0b11a775fd20.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share
6956bear
MilleniaBear said:

No skinny but the numbers of top players that find their way to Lawrence Kansas to play hoops over the years is absolutely mind boggling. They have a long history and have fielded great teams. But starting with Wilt Chamberlain the Jayhawks seemingly attract an endless supply of top players to the school. Lets again remind ourselves of where the school is located. Lawrence Kansas. All these great HS players decide that Lawrence Kansas is where they want to be. Yeah sure.
joe amos yaks
Lawrence is a nice town, the Ku campus is beautiful (kind of like UCD), and there's corn . . . plenty of corn in August.
BearSD
6956bear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

One can guess the other programs likely to be implicated in this. Kansas would top my guess list. Followed closely by Syracuse, UNC, Kentucky, Oregon and Florida St.

Duke should be on that list, they have been a leading one-and-done program along with Kentucky and Kansas. But maybe Coach K really does have Teflon and even dirt like this can't stick to him.

Any adidas program (yes, especially Kansas) should be feeling the heat because one or more of those adidas guys is likely to sing to the feds in exchange for a greatly reduced sentence.

The assistant coaches who are being prosecuted by the feds could give up evidence on other programs including other schools where they used to work.

Agree with the former coach that this will likely lead to some coaches leaving at the end of the season even if not forced out before then.

UrsaMajor
There was an article in the Chronic today including interviews w/ MW and Bernard Muir (AD at Stanfurd). Not terribly enlightening--other than Stanfurd refused to say what their Nike contract was, and MW said that eliminating all apparel company contracts wouldn't work. Muir did say, however, that he thought the problem was "much less widespread" than the media think. I guess one way to avoid breathing the smoke is to keep your head firmly in the sand.
Jeff82
6956bear said:

MilleniaBear said:

No skinny but the numbers of top players that find their way to Lawrence Kansas to play hoops over the years is absolutely mind boggling. They have a long history and have fielded great teams. But starting with Wilt Chamberlain the Jayhawks seemingly attract an endless supply of top players to the school. Lets again remind ourselves of where the school is located. Lawrence Kansas. All these great HS players decide that Lawrence Kansas is where they want to be. Yeah sure.
They have tradition. Phog Allen, for whom Allen Fieldhouse is named, was coached by James Naismith, who invented the game. In his autobiography, Chamberlain said he never considered any West Coast schools, because at the time he believed their brand of basketball was inferior, something he said in the book he was mistaken about. (Cal played him under Newell, but lost.) I'm sorry, but your comment reeks of hoops ignorance.
6956bear
Jeff82 said:

6956bear said:

MilleniaBear said:

They have tradition. Phog Allen, for whom Allen Fieldhouse is named, was coached by James Naismith, who invented the game. In his autobiography, Chamberlain said he never considered any West Coast schools, because at the time he believed their brand of basketball was inferior, something he said in the book he was mistaken about. (Cal played him under Newell, but lost.) I'm sorry, but your comment reeks of hoops ignorance.
Lots of places have tradition. John Wooden widely considered one of the greatest coaches ever established a tradition with an amazing number of championships. Yet in one of the greatest "open secrets" ever he had a bagman named Sam Gilbert help with developing that tradition. Coach Wooden wrote books and often spoke of the "pillars of success". Funny but I do not recall his bagman ever being mentioned as one of the pillars. College hoops has been dirty for a long, long time. Our own Golden Bears have some history in that area as well.

I maintain that Kansas is a legendary cheater. It is my opinion. Whether Chamberlain was bought or not (many believe he was) is old news and not germain to todays news. I would also maintain that many of the programs all over the country that have "tradition" helped develop that tradition by coloring outside the lines. Many blatantly. Some simply push the rules to the edge. Boosters run amok all over the place.

The FBI currently is in possession and not releasing information about Kansas basketball. Maybe it is simply coincidence. Maybe they are holding information on every single program in the country. The basketball community does not seem surprised that Kansas could be involved. I certainly am not. But then again I am just "hoop ignorant".
Jeff82
UCLA had no tradition before Wooden got there. They were basically a .500 team. Before he arrived they had won only two conference titles in 17 years. I don't know when Gilbert got there, but comparing the tradition at Kansas, which was coached by the guy who invented the game, to UCLA, is ludicrous. It also has no bearing on what's happening now. Kansas may be dirty now, but Wilt Chamberlain and other players who played there had logical basketball reasons to do so. That's all I'm saying. By the way, Kansas won the national championship with Clyde Lovelette before Chamberlain ever got there. I guess if you want to argue the college basketball was never clean, with no evidence, I can't argue with you.
socaltownie
UrsaMajor said:

There was an article in the Chronic today including interviews w/ MW and Bernard Muir (AD at Stanfurd). Not terribly enlightening--other than Stanfurd refused to say what their Nike contract was, and MW said that eliminating all apparel company contracts wouldn't work. Muir did say, however, that he thought the problem was "much less widespread" than the media think. I guess one way to avoid breathing the smoke is to keep your head firmly in the sand.
Well the ADs are arguing that because they benefit (tremendously).

Simple rule. NATIONALIZE the contracts. Share the revenue equally. Just like with the TV contracts you go ahead and sign for a period of years and then rebid.

A school opts out (you know, anti-trust things), then the NCAA will not allow them or another school to participate in its tournament at the end of the year.

I have no idea why this is hard. I really do not. I get that I am not an anti-trust laywer but it seems exceedingly simple _IF_ there was a will. Since AD's benefit tremendously financially from the status quo (they would become, essentially, mid-level academic administrators which means between 150 and 200 max a year) there is no will....ergo no way.
UrsaMajor
Interesting idea, SCT. Probably nationalizing would be to unwieldly, but doing it by conference seems eminently doable.
TheSouseFamily
Some illuminating and candid comments from a couple P12 coaches on the current nature of recruiting. I like the cut of Krystkowiak's jib

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/2017/10/14/five-key-questions-ncaa-basketball-recruiting-scandal/764969001/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.