Lets get a Cal Poly Game thread going

7 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by concordtom
Yogi58
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearSD said:

So according to the graphic just displayed on the telecast, the Bears have already lost a home game to the team predicted to finish next-to-last in the Big West this season, and right now the Bears are hanging on by their fingernails against the team predicted to finish last in the Big West.

Gonna be a difficult season.
First honest assessment of the game I've read either here or CGB
MoragaBear
Staff
These two games are a perfect example of why snap judgments shouldn't be made on very little evidence.

We all heard that Coleman had made improvements in the offseason and if this was the first game we saw, everyone would be saying, "Wow, he really did improve."

But instead, the other game was first and many said Coleman stinks and will never be good because his first game was so inefficient and error-prone.

If this was Lee's first game, everyone would've said, "Wow, this is the player we hoped we'd be getting. He just needed to have more of the offense run through him than he saw at Kentucky."

King had a career high 15 tonight so optimism probably would be running high with him, too, even with Cal Poly's smaller and less effective frontcourt.

The fact is, none of them were as bad as they showed Friday or probably as good as they looked today.

UCR was MUCH tougher in the paint, Surprisingly so. There will be nights against big and aggressive posts that they'll need to score in other ways. There will be nights where Coleman forces things too much. But as Wyking said after the game, he's glad for this learning opportunity for Coleman to see what a difference it makes to tighten things up and play more efficiently instead of forcing things all the time.

Really looking forward to Harris-Dyson getting a couple games under his belt. He probably would've helped contest some of those 3's and should help a lot with the press, too.
kingpindonuts
You mean King, Lee, and Coleman are the same players they've been throughout their whole careers?
MoragaBear
Staff
Not sure where you got that from what I said.

Definitely not as bad as they were on Friday but do I see King averaging 15, Lee regularly going for 21 and 11 or Coleman scoring 30 on 61% from the floor and 78% from the line with minimal turnovers? No.

The answer's likely somewhere in between and an improvement from all 3 over last season.
UrsaMajor
Sad, MB, that you have to spell things out for some folks.

Good analysis of the 2 games. What impressed me the most was how much DC changed his approach; sounds like WJ can get through and DC can listen.
parentswerebears
Limited sample size, but adjustments were made by players and coaches in between games. I am happy so far with what I see in terms of coaching. I know that's not a popular opinion, and I know that Jones isn't perfect, but long run, I think this is a great hire.
concordtom
dbush518 said:

Fields just fell for the rooting section counting down the shot clock.. He still had three seconds left when he threw up a desperation shot. Score one for the fans

Yep.
And it's not a stretch to suggest that could have been the game.
Well done, student section!!
concordtom
NYCGOBEARS said:

The King is going off! And hitting jump shots. Wow

Elbow jumper both surprised and impressed me! Wow, indeed!
concordtom
Justice Sueing:

He might need his own thread soon.

Gotta give credit to MoragaBear for long ago stating that he was going to be pretty good, a starter, a rebounder.

He's bigger than I expected.
concordtom
Cole Welle:

I have him slated for minutes behind Lee and Kingsley, ahead of Anticevich or Davis. When will he be back from IR?
concordtom
Dyson:

He's said to be our best perimeter defender.
concordtom
We are not likely to compete for top of PAC, but enjoy watching these guys bloom.
Yogi58
concordtom said:

Justice Sueing:

Gotta give credit to MoragaBear for long ago stating that he was going to be pretty good, a starter, a rebounder.

He needs to add distance shooting to his tool kit, but he looks like he has some tools.
Yogi58
concordtom said:

We are not likely to compete for top of PAC
That is an understatement. I think we're competing not to be the very bottom.
concordtom
Yogi Bear said:

concordtom said:

Justice Sueing:

He needs to add distance shooting to his tool kit, but he looks like he has some tools.
Just think, he's only 2 games in to 4 seasons of development!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.