Lets get a Cal Poly Game thread going

17 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by concordtom
socaltownie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow. Under 16 and no thread!!!

Anyway, good start. You can actually see a game plan. Nice face up Jumper by lee and they are falling back into the zone MUCH better after the press is broken.
dbush518
Staff
Davis' fall did not look good. His knee was bent pretty severely. Although he was standing near the bench
NYCGOBEARS
Much better this game. These guys are super young. The enjoyment will come from watching their improvement.
socaltownie
MUCH better offensive scheme.
dbush518
Staff
twice in a row gave up easy buckets on the press
OneKeg
We actually look like we're occasionally playing team ball today.

Sueing still playing well.
socaltownie
Important phase of the game. Would like to get to half up at least 10
dbush518
Staff
Fields just fell for the rooting section counting down the shot clock.. He still had three seconds left when he threw up a desperation shot. Score one for the fans
socaltownie
He fell for it a second time. A solid half of Basketball for our young bears and I thought an EXCELLENT job in transitioning from the press to the zone.

But a lot easier than against UCR who had Bigs who could shoot from corner and thus pulled Kings and Lee out from the rim.
Kovy
Playing so much better today. I think coach has done a lot better today with the personnel rotations. I think he learned a lot on Friday.
socaltownie
Kovy said:

Playing so much better today. I think coach has done a lot better today with the personnel rotations. I think he learned a lot on Friday.
That is what I am seeing. He is working well to keep both bigs on the floor but not leave them out there without at least 2 scoring wings. Helps that JS is playing a LOT of minutes. He could be a very good kid - and the kind that stays 3/4 years.
gobears
Excellent half of play.

Don Coleman had excellent half. Good looks, in control, efficient play.
Focus to get twin towers touches in O sets... (good).. 19 1st half points from the twin towers.
Justice Sueing, continues his 1st game efforts with solid half.
I like Grant A's game with limited PT, plays in control as freshman.. follow up to his excellent performance in exhibition game.

Let's see continued play in H2 for team's 1st win of season.

goBears....
OneKeg
Coleman a bit more under control in this first half. I think he hit 2 3s as well. We'll see.

Okoroh and Lee looking like decent big men actually.

Sueing has 12 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds and has hit his free throws. It is Cal Poly only but not bad for one half. Not sure he's a star, but he may be our best player.
bross
Night and day from Friday. Coleman much more in control. Lee more assertive. Offense overall has much better flow. Great first half.
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/benrosssports
dbush518
Staff
Martin going out really hurts CP, but they can shoot the thres
HoopDreams
Lee having a MONSTER game
socaltownie
OK. Can we get some extension. Keep playing hard Bears!
NYCGOBEARS
The King is going off! And hitting jump shots. Wow
dbush518
Staff
Great move by Okoroh. He doesn't do that last year.
Kovy
Poly hanging around with all the three balls. Hopefully they miss a few down the stretch
Mama Bear
How many 3's, no stats available.
socaltownie
Mama Bear said:

How many 3's, no stats available.
13 of 23
BearSD
So according to the graphic just displayed on the telecast, the Bears have already lost a home game to the team predicted to finish next-to-last in the Big West this season, and right now the Bears are hanging on by their fingernails against the team predicted to finish last in the Big West.

Gonna be a difficult season.
Kovy
Relying way too much on Coleman on offense right now
bearister
We're back! Extend Coach Jones immediately!
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
socaltownie
That was fine. They played well and the only reason it was this close was that the Mustangs made a ridiculous number of threes. Most were fairly well defended.
MinotStateBeav
We want Bama!!
gobears
This was clearly Don's best game of his Bear career... 30 points, on 8 for 13 from floor, and 11 of 14 from line as well as FT to seal win... add the 5 boards... (and only 2 TO's) his best all around game of his career at Cal.

Add Marcus double double 21 points/11 boards...

Cal Poly's 16 of 28 from 3's was impressive to keep them in game... but the inside D of the twin towers forced Cal Poly to get all their points from outside the paint area...

goBears
graguna
gobears said:

This was clearly Don's best game of his Bear career... 30 points, on 8 for 13 from floor, and 11 of 14 from line as well as FT to seal win... add the 5 boards... (and only 2 TO's) his best all around game of his career at Cal.

Add Marcus double double 21 points/11 boards...

Cal Poly's 16 of 28 from 3's was impressive to keep them in game... but the inside D of the twin towers forced Cal Poly to get all their points from outside the paint area...

goBears
would you say the incredible 16 for 28 for Cal Poly from 3 was due to poor defense by the Bears or good fortune for Cal Poly?
MoragaBear
Staff
Almost all their 3's were pretty well-contested.

They were just on fire.
calgldnbear
Even though possible, how often are they going to shoot 57% from 3 point range ??

They couldn't do much inside with our two big boys so they were forced to shoot outside as well as use the 3 point shot to try to catch up. They are going to give a few teams some trouble this year imho
SFCALBear72
Cal Poly was 10 for 25 in 3-pointers on Friday night vs. Stanfurd.
LudwigsFountain
Coleman definitely listened to the coaches. My favorite play of the game was near the end of the first half. He's about to go one on three to the hoop but pulls up and starts the half court offense instead. The crowd breaks into applause.

It was great to see him attempt a few dishes on his drives.
graguna
SFCALBear72 said:

Cal Poly was 10 for 25 in 3-pointers on Friday night vs. Stanfurd.
Had they also shot 40% from three tonight ( a solid percentage ) CAL would have won by 18. I believe fund won by 16. Take that for what you will.

CAL looked horrible during the first half on Friday night, since then, they have looked pretty much as I would have expected. Coleman and the two bigs lead the way. Two games in Sueing looks very solid and McNeil is decent. If Dyson end being solid, we'll be OK. OK as in, we'll win 8-12 games and have a solid foundation for another step forward next year. ( not the 2-4 wins many were predicting after Friday night )
Yogi58
HoopDreams said:

Lee having a MONSTER game
Not a real shock, both Lee and Okoroh much bigger than anybody on the other team.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.