Central Arkansas 4-5

17,456 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Yogi58
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fat_slice said:

Also - I can hear Charlie Moore, Kameron Rooks, Jordan Mathews, and even Cuonzo laughing from here in my apt in SF. What a disaster - why did we get rid of Braun? He would have stayed and we could have at least been mediocre all these years.

I was at the confetti game.
Conference champs.
Thank you Mike Montgomery.
UCBerkGrad
5 total assists for the game? Jesus
concordtom
Maybe it is all Marcus' fault.
His "peeps" came on this site and said Marcus' family wanted Cal but Monty blew it with the in-house visit.
Thereafter, Monty retired, with it said that he didn't have the stomach to recruit entitled kids.

Any truth to this web I've just told?
Yogi58
concordtom said:

His "peeps" came on this site and said Marcus' family wanted Cal but Monty blew it with the in-house visit.
Thereafter, Monty retired, with it said that he didn't have the stomach to recruit entitled kids.

Monty was a good coach but a ****ty recruiter who retired one year before he retired.

As for Marcus Lee, the whole episode is one of the biggest wastes of time in speculation and hope in the history of Cal basketball.
MinotStateBeav
Give me the guy who can coach, over the guy who can recruit any day all day.
Yogi58
I'll say this for Braun, he talks the game a lot better than he coaches it. Color commentary agrees with him, even if you don't exactly get Monty-level insights.
bearister
Cut Wyking a check for $5 million and hire the USF coach. He beat these guys.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Econ141
concordtom said:

fat_slice said:

Also - I can hear Charlie Moore, Kameron Rooks, Jordan Mathews, and even Cuonzo laughing from here in my apt in SF. What a disaster - why did we get rid of Braun? He would have stayed and we could have at least been mediocre all these years.

Conference champs.

I forgot to add Theo to the list. Braun's sweet sixteen is worth way more than anything Monty did.

Edit: braun's Sweet 16 > pac-12 championship (where we lose in first round of tourney and pac 12 was "not strong" lol) > NIT championship > anything else Monty did.
Yogi58
MinotStateBeav said:

Give me the guy who can coach, over the guy who can recruit any day all day.
In college, there is no reason to make that decision. Get a guy who can do both. If you're a college coach and you don't want to recruit, then get the **** out of the business and into the announcer's booth.
Yogi58
fat_slice said:

concordtom said:

fat_slice said:

Conference champs.
I forgot to add Theo to the list. Braun's sweet sixteen is worth way more than anything Monty did.
Wrong. Utterly wrong.
MinotStateBeav
A coach that wins brings recruits. A good coach breeds good habits in a program that carry over year to year.
Yogi58
MinotStateBeav said:

A coach that wins brings recruits.
A coach that wins championships already had the recruits to begin with.
Econ141
Yogi Bear said:

fat_slice said:

concordtom said:

fat_slice said:

Conference champs.
Wrong. Utterly wrong.

Come on - pac 12 was weak that year and we lost in the first round in the tourney (USF?).
tequila4kapp
fat_slice said:

Jesus. Pining for Braun to come back. Is it really that bad (I'm not watching)
Econ141
tequila4kapp said:

fat_slice said:

Unfortunately yes.

Braun and Tedford - let's bring back cal's glory days!
OneKeg
fat_slice said:

concordtom said:

fat_slice said:

Conference champs.

Edit: braun's Sweet 16 > pac-12 championship (where we lose in first round of tourney and pac 12 was "not strong" lol) > NIT championship > anything else Monty did.
Not agreeing or disagreeing, just a nitpick:
Pac-12 championship team won in the first round of the tourney. We were an 8 seed and beat 9 seed Louisville handily. We then lost to 1 seed Duke, by the same margin we beat Louisville by (15).
Econ141
OneKeg said:

fat_slice said:

concordtom said:

fat_slice said:

Conference champs.

Pac-12 championship team won in the first round of the tourney. We were an 8 seed and beat 9 seed Louisville handily. We then lost to 1 seed Duke, by the same margin we beat Louisville by (15).

Good call on that - I stand corrected but still value the sweet sixteen more.
Yogi58
fat_slice said:

Yogi Bear said:

fat_slice said:

concordtom said:

fat_slice said:

Conference champs.
Wrong. Utterly wrong.
Come on - pac 12 was weak that year and we lost in the first round in the tourney (USF?).
No, they didn't lose in the first round. Try again.
Yogi58
tequila4kapp said:

fat_slice said:

It is, but coaching alone wouldn't fix this year.
Yogi58
OneKeg said:

fat_slice said:

concordtom said:

fat_slice said:

Conference champs.

Also known as eventual national champion Duke
Econ141
Yogi Bear said:

fat_slice said:

Yogi Bear said:

fat_slice said:

concordtom said:

fat_slice said:

Conference champs.
Wrong. Utterly wrong.

You're right - but i can bet you we got more national publicity/recognition from going to sweet 16 then the conference championship. Did we even win the Pac-12 tourney? I don't think we did ... it's just really hard for me to be to happy about a pseudo championship.
tequila4kapp
I couldn't believe it was as bad as you guys make it out to be so I hit the record button on the DVR. Sometimes you have to slow down to see the crash...
Yogi58
fat_slice said:

Yogi Bear said:

fat_slice said:

Yogi Bear said:

fat_slice said:

concordtom said:

fat_slice said:

Conference champs.
Wrong. Utterly wrong.
You're right - but i can bet you we got more national publicity/recognition from going to sweet 16 then the conference championship. Did we even win the Pac-12 tourney? I don't think we did ... it's just really hard for me to be to happy about a pseudo championship.
We lost in the finals of the tourney.
Yogi58
Is there anything more embarrassing than the Tuna cheer in a game you're losing by 30?
KenBurnski
Maybe an Internet poster taking exception to the behavior of college students who are looking for any small reason to have a little fun?
Econ141
KenBurnski said:

Maybe an Internet poster taking exception to the behavior of college students who are looking for any small reason to have a little fun?

Nah ... that really is a horrible cheer that needs to go. And at the very least not be done to a small school opponent that just wiped the floor clean with us.
CalGrad95
Time to tell Wyking:

bonsallbear
I'll have hope for Mens basketball when we hire a coach. Until then. Audios.
Yogi58
bonsallbear said:

Audios.
LOL, illiterate Dodger fan.
Chapman_is_Gone
calbearsfan said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Where is the regular (non-alumni) band? There are about 30 band members here,.

Night of their nnual end of the marching season banquet. Turned out to be a very smart decision not to have it last night.
OK, thanks.

That said, the band should help set the tone of a winning program. I don't care how bad the team is...they should be at every men's basketball game at as close to full attendance as possible.
concordtom
EricBear said:

concordtom said:

EricBear said:

I am at a sports bar across the street from my hotel in Bakersfield. So I'm gonna ride this one all the way down. Hope everyone else has a nice night.

What's that mean?
Drive home?
Get drunk?
Both?

It means I've got nothing better to do than watch this entire game, and I am going to do it.

Here we go - second half!
Oh, like a stock headed to zero.
Right. Got it.
Stick to your guns. Not selling, even at 50 cents.
Me neither, for what it's worth!
Hey, if you can avoid the fires, your over halfway to San Diego! Go Bears!!!
concordtom
Yogi Bear said:

concordtom said:

Monty was a good coach but a ****ty recruiter who retired one year before he retired.

As for Marcus Lee, the whole episode is one of the biggest wastes of time in speculation and hope in the history of Cal basketball.
Ha, yes, I am afraid I have to agree with you.
And seeing as how I was probably THE guy leading so much of the talk for all these years, I do what many politicians should be doing right now, offer you my head on a platter.
Do you cut it off, Yogi Bear?
concordtom
Yogi Bear said:

MinotStateBeav said:

A coach that wins brings recruits.
A coach that wins championships already had the recruits to begin with.
Well, yeah, that's been said many times.
MM won with BB's recruits. No doubt about it!
Yogi58
concordtom said:

Yogi Bear said:

concordtom said:

Ha, yes, I am afraid I have to agree with you.
And seeing as how I was probably THE guy leading so much of the talk for all these years, I do what many politicians should be doing right now, offer you my head on a platter.
Do you cut it off, Yogi Bear?
We're just fans. We're not talent scouts. I'd never seen him play. Had you?

Everybody hopes we'll get star recruits who will make us good. Just didn't happen in this case.
kingpindonuts
Do we have any chance of winning a conf game this year? Or even keeping it within 10? Maybe furd at home but hard to picture it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.