Wyking a No Show on postgame show

14,134 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by EricBear
Beararama
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No Surprise. Get rid of him NOW
Econ141
That is crazy - he better skip town. Let o'toole take over.
KoreAmBear
Yes I'd cut our losses this is ridiculous. Would Monty or Ben be willing to come back lol.
calgo430
coach k could not due much with this group.
Beararama
calgo430 said:

The obvious dysfunction emanating from the top is impossible to swallow.
touchdownbears43
What a POS
Alkiadt
Beararama said:

calgo430 said:

Put Jay John in as Interim.
NOW.
KenBurnski
Yeah this excuse doesn't work. Multiple blowouts against traditionally weak competition. Team sulks at the drop of a hat. The head is rotting and it stinks, and is unfair to the players.
Yogi58
calgo430 said:

Coach K went 7-22 in conference in years 2 and 3 and won 10 and 11 games overall those years before he got Duke established. You can't do anything without talent. The guys who are starting would be bench players on a real team and the guys behind our current starters wouldn't even be on the team. That's the formula for a really bad year.
socaliganbear
Alkiadt said:

Beararama said:

calgo430 said:

Put Jay John in as Interim.
NOW.
$5M white flag?
PalyBear
wow. this is more disconcerting than any play on the floor. a professional would find a way to get themselves to the press conference. I hope he's just delayed. wow.
KoreAmBear
Kidding me? We wouldn't be blown out by UCR, Chaminade and Central Arkansas with a decent coach. This is bottom of the barrel stuff.
KoreAmBear
Yogi Bear said:

calgo430 said:

Coach K went 7-22 in conference and won 10 and 11 games overall those years before he got Duke established. You can't do anything without talent. The guys who are starting would be bench players on a real team and the guys behind our current starters wouldn't even be on the team. That's the formula for a really bad year.

So you're telling me UCR, Chaminade and Central Arkansas have more talent? Come on now, Yogi.
evanluck
It's not so much that we are less talented than these teams but we are waaaay younger. The freshman are rattled and there is no one on the court to settle them down.

The announcers pointed out that we returned the fewest players in all of college basketball. These teams that we have been losing to have solid lineups filled with upper classmen. When they smell our fear on the court, they push us around and we don't have anyone to push back.

Hard to watch.
Big C
PalyBear said:

wow. this is more disconcerting than any play on the floor. a professional would find a way to get themselves to the press conference. I hope he's just delayed. wow.
On one hand, Cuonzo even did his post-game show after the NIT game against Bakersfield. His last words: "Go Bears".

On the other hand, and I guess I'm just playing devil's advocate here, he may have felt his talking to the team at this time was more important than talking to the few hundred fans who were listening to the radio.

To the larger point, though, the powers that be (if we have any right now) do need to start wondering -- if they have not already -- if this program can be salvaged over the next couple of years.
Big C
KoreAmBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

calgo430 said:

Coach K went 7-22 in conference and won 10 and 11 games overall those years before he got Duke established. You can't do anything without talent. The guys who are starting would be bench players on a real team and the guys behind our current starters wouldn't even be on the team. That's the formula for a really bad year.

So you're telling me UCR, Chaminade and Central Arkansas have more talent? Come on now, Yogi.
I was at the game and it was clear that UCA had more players that can put the ball in the basket than we do. That much was certain. As to more "talent", I'm not sure.
Golden One
I was also at the game, and this was the worst Cal basketball game I have ever witnessed. The team looked like it wasn't being coached; they were just playing playground basketball. Every man for himself. It was just ugly. Maybe it is time for Wyking to go, and he can take Mike Williams with him. Going without an AD for awhile can't be any worst than the mess we currently have. Hell, Christ can do the usual Cal thing and hire a consulting firm to serve as interim AD.
concordtom
Yogi Bear said:

calgo430 said:

Mike Montgomery would be able to make them play well.
We have enough players to be decent.
MM was also a bit of a magician.
Yogi58
KoreAmBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

calgo430 said:

This Central Arkansas team took UCLA to overtime. I don't think they belong in the same category as Riverside and Chaminade.
concordtom
evanluck said:

It's not so much that we are less talented than these teams but we are waaaay younger. The freshman are rattled and there is no one on the court to settle them down.

The announcers pointed out that we returned the fewest players in all of college basketball. These teams that we have been losing to have solid lineups filled with upper classmen. When they smell our fear on the court, they push us around and we don't have anyone to push back.

Hard to watch.
I would expect Marcus to be that guy.
But he makes as many silly turnovers, fouls, and missed shots as anyone.

I was starting to think tonight that the long ago asked question to his brother Bryan (familyfirst) is being answered.
We here at BI (users, not mgmt) said that it was better to be the man every night, have the ball thrown into you regularly, in order to develop into an NBA talent than it is to be a 5th wheel at Kentucky. Bryan asserted that it was no contest, lil bro Marcus would blossom much more being around other NBA big men at Kentucky.

Well, either Bryan was big time wrong, or Marcus really sucked 4 years ago.
Yogi58
Big C said:

To the larger point, though, the powers that be (if we have any right now) do need to start wondering -- if they have not already -- if this program can be salvaged over the next couple of years.
The powers that be are coasting to the end of a tenure that never should have occurred. Somehow despite it all, we ended up with Justin Wilcox. I don't know how we pulled that rabbit out of the hat.
concordtom
Yogi Bear said:

This Central Arkansas team took UCLA to overtime. I don't think they belong in the same category as Riverside and Chaminade.
Neither do we.
Civil Bear
evanluck said:

Hard to watch.
I'm of the mind now that is precisely the reason to not hire a first-year coach.
helltopay1
right now I'm too depressed to type. I will say that central Arkansas was superbly coached. The 103 points they scored against UCLA was not an aberration. it may be way too early to tell, but there is a good possibility that Wyking was a buddy hire by Williams. Also, the five year guaranteed deal at one million per seemed too extravagant at the time given that Wyking would have settled for a smaller amount. after all, he had no leverage. This is what happens when you hire an AD without either football or basketball experience. my prayer is that our young, talented players do not bail after the season if we continue to go south. By the way, I haven';t seen AD Williams at any games so far. Is this because my eyesight is failing, or is AD Williams at home watching wrestling on TV???
Yogi58
concordtom said:

Yogi Bear said:

calgo430 said:

Mike Montgomery would be able to make them play well.
We have enough players to be decent.
MM was also a bit of a magician.
In 1992-93, Montgomery went 7-23 and 2-16 in conference.

In basketball, much more than any other sport, you CANNOT win without talent. We have very few shooters and the ones that we have range somewhere between adequate to poor. Our ballhandling is not great and one of our "best" ballhandlers regularly takes the ball to trouble. Our bigs aren't bad, but you can't run an offense through them. The bench has nothing. A walkon gets regular minutes for us.

Our talent, combined with our extreme lack of experience, is a situation that no coach could get a lot of wins with. Would a better coach have beaten Riverside and Chaminade? Probably. The game tonight I think we got beat by a team that was definitely more experienced and probably more talented than us too. Small schools all over manage to find guards that can shoot and dribble.

I'm not trying to say Wyking is doing a good job. I think he's doing a very poor job. But there's not much that can be done about it right now. Play out the season, see what the talent level of the team is going to be for next year, and then decide what you're going to do.
Yogi58
helltopay1 said:

right now I'm too depressed to type. I will say that central Arkansas was superbly coached. The 103 points they scored against UCLA was not an aberration. it may be way too early to tell, but there is a good possibility that Wyking was a buddy hire by Williams. Also, the five year guaranteed deal at one million per seemed too extravagant at the time given that Wyking would have settled for a smaller amount. after all, he had no leverage. This is what happens when you hire an AD without either football or basketball experience. my prayer is that our young, talented players do not bail after the season if we continue to go south. By the way, I haven';t seen AD Williams at any games so far. Is this because my eyesight is failing, or is AD Williams at home watching wrestling on TV???
You want to know the worst part that will really make you depressed?

He has a $4M buyout.

Why a first-time head coach has a $4M buyout I can't explain other than that Cal AD's consistently **** up contracts.
bearister
Methinks SFCityBear is sitting in a Catholic High School basketball gym penning a War and Peace caliber missive on the current state of Cal Basketball.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Yogi58
bearister said:

Methinks SFCityBear is sitting in a Catholic High School basketball gym penning a War and Peace caliber missive on the current state of Cal Basketball.
Heaven help us all
bigcocoon007
Was Tracy Webster in the running for HC? He was the one associate head coach and likely more qualified...
Yogi58
bigcocoon007 said:

Was Tracy Webster in the running for HC? He was the one associate head coach and likely more qualified...
Or we could have set our sights just a tiny shade higher than getting a coach with no head coaching experience.
bigcocoon007
Coach we should have hired beat us on Saturday. Randy Bennet
Golden One
Yogi Bear said:

Small schools all over manage to find guards that can shoot and dribble.

But for some reason, Cal can't. Strange, Very strange.
Econ141
Yogi Bear said:

helltopay1 said:

He has a $4M buyout.

Why a first-time head coach has a $4M buyout I can't explain other than that Cal AD's consistently **** up contracts.

If this is true (and given that this is cal athletics, it is highly believable), I am speechless. I just in good conscience cannot support giving him 4 million dollars and adding him to my "those laughing at cal" list. We will just have to ride him out.

Men's basketball was what helped me get through the dec-mar period of no college football. Now I have to wait the full cycle.
HoopDreams
just got back from game
stayed till the end. a fire alarm went off after the game so that's why WK didn't go to the press conference
Yogi58
fat_slice said:

Yogi Bear said:

helltopay1 said:

He has a $4M buyout.

If this is true (and given that this is cal athletics, it is highly believable), I am speechless. I just in good conscience cannot support giving him 4 million dollars and adding him to my "those laughing at cal" list. We will just have to ride him out.

Men's basketball was what helped me get through the dec-mar period of no college football. Now I have to wait the full cycle.
I should caveat this. I think representing it as a buyout is incorrect.

https://247sports.com/college/california/Article/Contract-details-for-Cal-mens-basketball-coach-Wyking-Jones-rele-74910174

He is entitled to the rest of his contract if he is terminated without cause. If that's done this year, he'd get the remaining of this year's $1M salary, plus $1M for each of the next four years of the contract.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.