Story Poster
Photo by Getty Images
Cal Basketball

BearInsider PodCast: All time great Cal basketball player Bob Dalton - Part 2

January 3, 2018

The Podcast can be found Here

To continue reading, you must be a Bear Insider Premium subscriber.
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial
Discussion from...

BearInsider PodCast: All time great Cal basketball player Bob Dalton - Part 2

6,746 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MoragaBear
EricBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Part I, which is about 60 minutes, focused on Bob's personal background, lots of cool Cal history, and his time with Pete Newell (e.g., watching game film with Pete Newell; that Newell tended to look past you when speaking to you, which Bob described as intimidating; other cool Newell anecdotes).

Part II, about 30 minutes, focuses on the 1959 Final Four and the ramifications of winning the Championship that season. Bob's recollection and attention to detail are remarkable, particularly re: Oscar Robertson. As you can tell, I could not get enough of that discussion.

Also fascinating to hear how playing for Newell, and performing at such an elite level on the biggest stage, prepared him for life.

Bob also discusses his son Wesley's brief time as a Cal QB (two starts vs. Oregon/at Stanford), and discusses Wesley's character and its impact on his post-Cal football career.

Really wonderful to hear from a true Cal legend.

Thanks to Bob Dalton for allowing me to spend time with him discussing these great memories, and to Bear Greg for giving me the support and the opportunity to interview gentlemen like Bob Dalton and Denny Fitzpatrick, pillars of the '59 Champions.

Go Bears!
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Part 2's really interesting, too. Loved hearing about how Herrerias's scouting paid off guarding Oscar Robertson and Jerry West in Cal's NCAA championship season.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.