cal washington game thread

5,826 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by concordtom
Bisonbob
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The lack of depth makes it so hard to compete. When you have to bring in Hamilton for Lee you know you are in trouble. 5min w/o a FG and I have seen no passes into the high post which is wide open, and then a forced 3 will not cut it. have no idea what they are trying to do on offense, and as expected Coleman is left with a dash and splash. If you net out his shots block, and bad passes with forced shots it would be net negative. I'll give him a A for effort but that is about it.
EricBear
Staff
King misses front end of one-and-one. Could have cut it to six.

UW hits a prayer bank three at buzzer. Up 11.
EricBear
Staff
62-49. That will do it.
sonofabear51
Agree. Good effort though.
trueblue22
Coleman 11% from the field and 0% from 3. Big part of that scoreless stretch.
Econ141
God let this season end.
EricBear
Staff
fat_slice said:

God let this season end.

Agreed. Can't come soon enough.

NYCGOBEARS
EricBear said:

fat_slice said:

God let this season end.

Do you think that the players feel the same?
EricBear
Staff
33-16 in the second half. Believe UW run started around the time Marcus and Kingsley went to the bench with their respective fourth fouls.

These past two games were winnable.
egbear82
We only scored 16 in the second half..
trueblue22
Suppose I shouldn't let Marcus Lee off the hook either. 2 rebounds 6 points 4 turnovers 4 fouls. Those are walk-on guard numbers.
TheSouseFamily
TrueBlue42 said:

Suppose I shouldn't let Marcus Lee off the hook either. 2 rebounds 6 points 4 turnovers 4 fouls. Those are walk-on guard numbers.

In Marcus' defense, he just doesn't get the ball enough. He shot over 90% from the floor this week but only gets it a few times a game. Whether that's his assertiveness or off-ball movement, teammates not getting to him or a scheme that doesn't use him is an open question but when he gets it, he scores.
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
NYCGOBEARS said:

EricBear said:

fat_slice said:

God let this season end.

Do you think that the players feel the same?

Probably a little bit because this losing wears on you so much.

But they are still playing hard, appear to care about each other, and certainly seem to like Wyking. Good signs in about as bad a season as you can have.
EricBear
Staff
TheSouseFamily said:

TrueBlue42 said:

In Marcus' defense, he just doesn't get the ball enough. He shot over 90% from the floor this week but only gets it a few times a game. Whether that's his assertiveness or off-ball movement, teammates not getting to him or a scheme that doesn't use him is an open question but when he gets it, he scores.

Good points. I think it's more of the first three, maybe a bit of the fourth. Ultimately, not assertive enough. Today really said it all. Senior, back at home in the Bay Area, desultory season, had to demand the ball and go out firing. Instead, cloaked in foul trouble, nor assertive, doesn't do much on a day his team was desperate for him to deliver something.

Will be a huge success in life though. That's one guy I will be fascinated to follow post-Cal Basketball.
OdontoBear66
EricBear said:

Problem on that play when King went up is he brought the rebound down around his numbers and then started up. At least he didn't take it to the floor like he has done in the past, but that does give the defenders the chance to go up with you and............
Bisonbob
Lee has been a mystery all year. He will have a couple of plays a game when he looks like a next level player, but then he disappears. He had to be more assertive to lead and he did not. There was nobody left to lead. The plan was to go inside, but the two bigs had as many fouls as points. Wash zone had to be attached inside out, but the guards never even passed it inside even though they were wide open. If I'm coaching and that's the plan, play that way or your on the bench. Coach said "once his bigs got in foul trouble he had to play combinations he never had to play before. Huh! That's why you practice, Those guys have been in foul trouble the whole year, so if you have not planned for that shame on you.
Not sure about Jones. Will wait and see how he recruits, as really good players will cover up a lot of coaching shortcomings .
Big C
EricBear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

TrueBlue42 said:

Good points. I think it's more of the first three, maybe a bit of the fourth. Ultimately, not assertive enough. Today really said it all. Senior, back at home in the Bay Area, desultory season, had to demand the ball and go out firing. Instead, cloaked in foul trouble, nor assertive, doesn't do much on a day his team was desperate for him to deliver something.

Will be a huge success in life though. That's one guy I will be fascinated to follow post-Cal Basketball.
Marcus Lee is an interesting study, isn't he? On the court, half the time I'm like "Wow!" and half the time I'm cringing. From what I hear/read about him off the court, it's just "Wow!", nothing else.

Too bad the seniors didn't rise up and deliver victories in these last two home games. Still, they're headed on to good things and I love 'em.
ayetee11
I wish Lee would have been able to play with Rabb. I view him similar to Deandre Jordan. Not someone you run an offense through, but someone who will clean up the boards and work very well off the ball. I think he'll make the league still.
oskidunker
When Lee was taken out, the game was over.
We saved him for nothing. Play him until he fouls out.
Go Bears!
Econ141
EricBear said:

This is the second (maybe third) year we have said that we can't get the ball in to our bigs. Next year we have Austin which should help but we need better passers just across the board.

And of course since we are Cal, we will get a true point guard the year after all of our good to great big men have left.
oskidunker
You got that right!
Go Bears!
Big C
ayetee11 said:

I wish Lee would have been able to play with Rabb. I view him similar to Deandre Jordan. Not someone you run an offense through, but someone who will clean up the boards and work very well off the ball. I think he'll make the league still.
Yeah, imagine this team if Rabb had come back, Austin had transferred a year earlier, Jaylen Brown had stayed for three years and Mathews and Bird had red-shirted their first year.

I'm also imagining if I catch Jennifer Aniston on the rebound from that guy she just broke up with...

ayetee11
Big C said:

ayetee11 said:

Yeah, imagine this team if Rabb had come back, Austin had transferred a year earlier, Jaylen Brown had stayed for three years and Mathews and Bird had red-shirted their first year.

I'm also imagining if I catch Jennifer Aniston on the rebound from that guy she just broke up with...

Fortunately that's a roster with no international guys. Apparently they take have their life to get decent in basketball.
Big C
ayetee11 said:

Big C said:

ayetee11 said:

Fortunately that's a roster with no international guys. Apparently they take have their life to get decent in basketball.
You're starting to catch on, but note that it's not the internationals (Have you seen the NBA lately?). It's the British!
bearister
Big C said:

ayetee11 said:

Well, if Cuonzo was coaching it would be an underperforming team. Not willing to make that call on Coach Jones until end of next season.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
ayetee11 said:

You should have watched him at Kentucky for. 3 years.
concordtom
EricBear said:

egbear82 said:

So impressed how hard our guys play despite the losing, the heartbreaking losses, and getting down by 10 today. It's really nice to see them never quit.

Yes. Really impressive.
Lol.
At least, I THINK you were being facetious.
I mean, it was a 17-point loss, after all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.