USC never really changes does it....

4,809 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearister
MinotStateBeav
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22900103/usc-trojans-hire-eric-mobley-father-recruits-isaiah-evan-mobley-assistant-coach

this is pathetic that the ncaa is allowing this.
BearSD
Andy Enfield is doing what Cuonzo did at Missouri...
Quote:

USC has hired Eric Mobley, the father of two high-profile recruits, as an assistant basketball coach.
Quote:

Most recently, Mobley coached the Compton Magic 16-and-under AAU team. He played collegiately at Portland and Cal Poly Pomona but never has coached at that level.

His oldest son, Isaiah, is a 6-foot-10 high school junior and the No. 44-ranked prospect in the Class of 2019. His youngest son, Evan, is 6-10 and considered one of the top players in the country in the Class of 2020.
Big Dog
but even better: since 'SC is a private college, dad's $$ contract won't be disclosed.
bearister
Legalized bribery. NCAA should plug that loophole. A few games in the new assistant should say: "My son is getting real upset that you are not using my plays. Andy, I am trying to talk him off the ledge but I just don't know..."
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
EricBear
Staff
Not just about Mobley brothers.

GMP
bearister said:

Legalized bribery. NCAA should plug that loophole.
When people are suggesting rules to prevent an employer from choosing its employees, and vice versa, you have a broken system.
BearSD
There already are rules. Enfield and Cuonzo hired elite players' dads as full-time assistants because the rule permits that, but doesn't permit giving a recruit's parent a lesser job that might be construed as pay for no work.
SRBear
always looking for someone to roll the practice balls out.
concordtom
bearister said:

Legalized bribery. NCAA should plug that loophole. A few games in the new assistant should say: "My son is getting real upset that you are not using my plays. Andy, I am trying to talk him off the ledge but I just don't know..."
You just illustrated how much of an idiot Lavar Ball is, as if we didn't know.
He could have shut his mouth and worked out an asst coaching gig at any number of schools that would have lasted many years and made him more money than trying to sell those damn shoes.
The Ball name is mudd, and he's to blame. Were he to have played his cards right, he could have made a (Positive) name for himself and his boys that outlasted their playing days.
concordtom
EricBear said:

Not just about Mobley brothers.

A bird just told me that Enfield was looking for a way to lose his asst this last season so he could hire this guy. Thus he floated the FBI info that would sink everybody (AZ), leaving him standing alone.
The man is too cunning, long term thinking....

But even if this weren't so, just look at his wife. He wins anyways.
bearister
concordtom said:

bearister said:

You just illustrated how much of an idiot Lavar Ball is, as if we didn't know.
He could have shut his mouth and worked out an asst coaching gig at any number of schools that would have lasted many years and made him more money than trying to sell those damn shoes.
The Ball name is mudd, and he's to blame. Were he to have played his cards right, he could have made a (Positive) name for himself and his boys that outlasted their playing days.

Having Lavar Ball as an assistant coach of a team that one of his sons is on would result in scenarios that even Rod Serling could not have imagined.
BearSD
SRBear said:

always looking for someone to roll the practice balls out.
Can't stop a head coach from hiring a full-time assistant who does just that, but it's still an important limitation because each team is limited to three full-time assistant coaches. When you hire an elite player's dad you're giving up one of those three coaching positions, so if the guy isn't a contributor to the coaching staff, it handicaps the head coach in that way. And the dad/coach has to be at practices, be on the bench at games, has to be visible in the ways assistant coaches are; he can't be sitting at home all day just cashing paychecks.

It's far from perfect, but it's better than letting the likes of Cuonzo or Enfield pay a 5-star player's dad $150,000/year to be a "special assistant to the athletic director for basketball affairs".
EricBear
Staff
Had a terrific lunch today with Nick Hamilton.

Will be at USC next year for Grad School. Interviewing with Enfield & Co. tomorrow for a Grad Assistant position. Brace yourselves for seeing him on their bench next season.

HoopDreams
EricBear said:

Had a terrific lunch today with Nick Hamilton.

Will be at USC next year for Grad School. Interviewing with Enfield & Co. tomorrow for a Grad Assistant position. Brace yourselves for seeing him on their bench next season.

with his credentials (Cal degree, super grades) I would have thought he would have attended a better academic school
UrsaMajor
In fairness to U$C (although why be fair to them?), it depends on the program. They have the best film school in the country, and are solid in several other fields.
iwantwinners
Hiring the parent of a prized recruit(s) is a no-brainer. I think Stanford did this with the Lopez twins.
Northside91
Privilege and success are bad, but only when they belong to other people it seems.

The operative phrase, "...such hirings do not violate NCAA rules." The end.
iwantwinners
MinotStateBeav said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22900103/usc-trojans-hire-eric-mobley-father-recruits-isaiah-evan-mobley-assistant-coach

this is pathetic that the ncaa is allowing this.

Of all the things the NCAA should and shouldn't do, it's odd that this riles you up. They're giving a father a career, a livelihood.

Hopefully more in-demand student athletes and their families are getting paid or perks, under the table or not.

We clamor about the NCAA not letting their athletes earn off their likeness, then we're morally outraged when these kids do just that despite the absurd NCAA rule. They should all pay and accept the consequences if caught, as these kids can go elsewhere if they don't like the terms given by the NCAA
concordtom
How many of our opponents may have suggested that Cal must have played some dirty pool in order to land both Rabb and Brown?
TheSouseFamily
BearSD said:

Andy Enfield is doing what Cuonzo did at Missouri...
Quote:

USC has hired Eric Mobley, the father of two high-profile recruits, as an assistant basketball coach.
Quote:

Most recently, Mobley coached the Compton Magic 16-and-under AAU team. He played collegiately at Portland and Cal Poly Pomona but never has coached at that level.

His oldest son, Isaiah, is a 6-foot-10 high school junior and the No. 44-ranked prospect in the Class of 2019. His youngest son, Evan, is 6-10 and considered one of the top players in the country in the Class of 2020.

This move is paying dividends already Isaiah Mobley committed to USC today. That's two top 40-ish commits just this week.
bearister
I wish I had a young relative, or two, that were major ballers. I would "deliver" them to Cal, get an assistant coaching gig, and then Coach Jones could get my instructions orally from the bench instead of secretly getting them from my BI posts like a long line of Cal coaches have had to do.

concordtom
Be careful, you don't really want to be taking credit for the coaching decisions that occurred last season.
bearister
concordtom said:

Be careful, you don't really want to be taking credit for the coaching decisions that occurred last season.

The isolated times things went right. That was me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.