all-americans predict where Jordan Brown will go

48,116 Views | 230 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TheSouseFamily
BearlyCareAnymore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

where is the justice?
Jones comes to the agreement with players for a four-year scholarship. John's decides he wants out of the contract and jettisons those players and continues to collect $1 million a year.
it's not right.
And it's not a CAL thing - it's an entire NCAA thing, and everybody knows it!
See I disagree with this and I think that it demonstrates what is actually not right. The attitude that the value is playing a sport, not the scholarship. Cal's side of the contract is that they provide a scholarship, not a roster guarantee or a playing time guarantee. If that is not of value to the player, they shouldn't be here or any other college for that matter. Find a pro league. Playing on the basketball team is the player's responsibility. Cal is giving the four year scholarship. You seem to think the value Cal is giving is a roster spot. That is not the contractual relationship, nor should it ever be for a college athlete.

If Giancarlo Stanton suddenly loses it and goes 6 months without a hit, the Yankees will cut him. Their responsibility is to pay the salary, which they would have to do. He does not get to stay on the team when he is not qualified. What team, beyond bottom level youth rec league sports, guarantees a roster spot to anyone?

I do not understand why you feel any player is entitled to a roster spot that he is not qualified for in the eyes of the coaching staff. He is entitled to the scholarship. I would be upset if Cal didn't provide that. And by the way, the second Cal doesn't want Jones as their coach, they will pay the buyout and he will by off the team as well. He continues to collect his contracted compensation ($1M for now) and guess what - the players continue to collect their compensation - their four year scholarship. If you don't think that is fair compensation (and I'm going to have to argue that I don't think there is anywhere that any of the players you are upset about could have gotten greater compensation for their basketball skills) that is another question. But if your idea is that part of the deal is that substandard players are guaranteed roster spots, I think they need to add orange slices and participation trophies to the scholarship contract.
SFCityBear
concordtom said:

where is the justice?
Jones comes to the agreement with players for a four-year scholarship. John's decides he wants out of the contract and jettisons those players and continues to collect $1 million a year.
it's not right.
Justice is on the roster, and we are happy to have him.
Big C
OaktownBear said:

concordtom said:

where is the justice?
it's not right.
See I disagree with this and I think that it demonstrates what is actually not right. The attitude that the value is playing a sport, not the scholarship. Cal's side of the contract is that they provide a scholarship, not a roster guarantee or a playing time guarantee. If that is not of value to the player, they shouldn't be here or any other college for that matter. Find a pro league. Playing on the basketball team is the player's responsibility. Cal is giving the four year scholarship. You seem to think the value Cal is giving is a roster spot. That is not the contractual relationship, nor should it ever be for a college athlete.

If Giancarlo Stanton suddenly loses it and goes 6 months without a hit, the Yankees will cut him. Their responsibility is to pay the salary, which they would have to do. He does not get to stay on the team when he is not qualified. What team, beyond bottom level youth rec league sports, guarantees a roster spot to anyone?

I do not understand why you feel any player is entitled to a roster spot that he is not qualified for in the eyes of the coaching staff. He is entitled to the scholarship. I would be upset if Cal didn't provide that. And by the way, the second Cal doesn't want Jones as their coach, they will pay the buyout and he will by off the team as well. He continues to collect his contracted compensation ($1M for now) and guess what - the players continue to collect their compensation - their four year scholarship. If you don't think that is fair compensation (and I'm going to have to argue that I don't think there is anywhere that any of the players you are upset about could have gotten greater compensation for their basketball skills) that is another question. But if your idea is that part of the deal is that substandard players are guaranteed roster spots, I think they need to add orange slices and participation trophies to the scholarship contract.
While I am in basic agreement with you on this, there is one thing:

In situations like this, the staff DOES NOT WANT the player to stay at the university, on scholarship. The reason they got rid of them in the first place is that thought they could offer the schollies to better players. If they have to eat the scholarship there is a good chance they are going to try and do something to make the player feel uncomfortable and eventually leave. So, maybe technically, the player can stay on scholarship, but can they really?

One solution would be to allow colleges to be able to switch the schollie from an athletic one to an academic one and therefore not count against the roster, but then you might have schools sifting through their rosters every year, trying to bury their mistakes. Of course, the vast majority of kids would probably rather leave, to go to a place where they could play.
oskidunker
Then the coach would be in trouble for sure.
Go Bears!
BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

concordtom said:

where is the justice?
it's not right.

While I am in basic agreement with you on this, there is one thing:

In situations like this, the staff DOES NOT WANT the player to stay at the university, on scholarship. The reason they got rid of them in the first place is that thought they could offer the schollies to better players. If they have to eat the scholarship there is a good chance they are going to try and do something to make the player feel uncomfortable and eventually leave. So, maybe technically, the player can stay on scholarship, but can they really?

One solution would be to allow colleges to be able to switch the schollie from an athletic one to an academic one and therefore not count against the roster, but then you might have schools sifting through their rosters every year, trying to bury their mistakes. Of course, the vast majority of kids would probably rather leave, to go to a place where they could play.

I agree with the problem you identified and the solution (I was the first one here to mention both points, so of course I agree). I actually don't care if schools cut players in that situation as long as they give the schollie. If they aren't the best 13, oh well. That's life. But since CT has such an issue with Cal, I have to say there is no indication they are trying to make things uncomfortable. I certainly hope they are not. I would be upset if they did. However, in the case of Chauca, he might have been tossed from school if he was a regular student. And frankly, after reading the self pity, lack of responsibility, self aggrandizing missive, (yeah, number one shooter while guarded in the PAC-12, ooooookaaaay), I wouldn't want him on my team period.

I don't know enough to defend Jones, but while I sympathize with being cut, no one ever envisioned a four year guaranteed roster spot. If he does unethical things to get them to drop the schollie, I'll scream, but cutting them and finding options where they can play is not that.
SFCityBear
So how many of these all-Americans correctly predicted Brown would play his basketball at Nevada?
MoragaBear
Staff
Doesn't really matter. Nevada came on late.
SFCityBear
MoragaBear said:

Doesn't really matter. Nevada came on late.
In the article I read, I think Brown said Nevada was on him from the beginning and was the first team to make him an offer.
MoragaBear
Staff
Doesn't matter. There was a real reluctance from the family to play in the Mountain West.

Their tourney performance combined with their late adds plus Cal's inability to clear the roster room to make the moves they wanted to see were the clinchers.
Big C
Up until very recently, hardly anybody thought Nevada had a real shot, right? When you think about it, though, it's a pretty easy drive from Roseville to Reno.

The Browns put all their eggs into the "NBA basket" and probably overthought this. If he's an NBA player, he'll get to the NBA. Heck, our previous coach couldn't hold back Jaylen Brown.

#TenYearDecision. Wait, what?!?

Glad he didn't go to 'Zona. Certainly there are guys over there pulling their hair out because they lost a recruiting battle to Nevada. LOL.

If we get that grad transfer, our roster will actually look pretty strong. I wonder if we have a "back-up plan grad transfer" if we don't get the one guy. If not, save the schollie for next year!
SFCityBear
MoragaBear said:

Doesn't matter. There was a real reluctance from the family to play in the Mountain West.

Their tourney performance combined with their late adds plus Cal's inability to clear the roster room to make the moves they wanted to see were the clinchers.
I agree with you on Nevada's tourney performance, and I can't argue facts with you because you have inside info. If I was a big time recruit, the biggest thing for me about considering Cal basketball would be the way Cal looked on the court last season. Disorganized, new head coach obviously having growing pains, mostly one-on-one play, no perceivable offensive system, and too many defenses for freshmen to learn, resulting in a porous defense. Not much individual improvement in players over the season. If I had seen only the Wichita state game, I'd have been excited. If I had also seen the VCU game, I would have understood the loss, but if I had then seen the drubbing by Division 2 Chaminade, I'd have been waiting for Cal to somehow turn things around. At the end of the season, I was not at all convinced Cal had improved enough to handle little Chaminade if they played again. Team's best scorer suspended and then leaves the team. Other players released or asked to leave the team. On the academic side, Cal is a big draw, so any smart parents should realize their son does not yet have a secure future in the NBA, and is an injury away from not having an NBA career at all, and a degree from Cal means so much in the real world away from and after basketball.

Sorry to get so cynical, but sometimes all the sunshine pumping and overlooking the difficiencies, which may be obvious, just gets to me.
MoragaBear
Staff
It's sunshine pumping to tell you what the Brown family thought and what his MCD AA teammates got from him because you don't like it or believe it?

Cal would've been publicly eliminated a long time ago if the Brown's thought like you.

They obviously didn't.
concordtom
I won't be surprised when Watkins transfers now AFTER the fact and waves the middle finger as his goodbye.
Tit for tat, take that.
concordtom
It also would be interesting to know if any of the potential transfer destinations have since rescinded their offers.
As in, "you did WHAT? You mean, you waited until AFTER they lost their big fish if only to say F U?
You know what, that's okay, we don't need that type of energy in this program."
SFCityBear
MoragaBear said:

It's sunshine pumping to tell you what the Brown family thought and what his MCD AA teammates got from him because you don't like it or believe it?

Cal would've been publicly eliminated a long time ago if the Brown's thought like you.

They obviously didn't.
You have obviously completely misunderstood my original post, to come up with this much vitriol in response to a simple, honest question: "How many all-Americans correctly predicted Brown would sign with Nevada?" I am an honest person. I have no ulterior motive. I asked a simple question just to get some information. I had no intention of going anywhere with it, or responding to anyone who gave me an answer. As you may know, I am very interested in how accurate recruit rankings may or may not be, and I am interested in how accurate the predictions of good players may be. Nothing more than that.

You chose to dismiss my question with an off hand remark, saying the answer "doesn't matter", which implies my question doesn't matter. Well, the answer may not matter to you, but it matters to me. That is why I asked the question. I responded and you dismissed my response by again saying "it doesn't matter." I took some offense to that, and for that I apologize, since I clearly have offended you. I hate electronic media, because it is so easy to offend people if one is not careful. I am as guilty of this as anyone, in spite of my efforts not to offend. Believe me, I had no ulterior motive in asking my question.

Can I ask you another unrelated question, off this topic? This too, will be a simple honest question, because I'd really like know this information. Yesterday, I spoke with a cousin of mine who writes for the Daily Cal. He said some of Daily Cal reporters who covered the basketball team this season told him that from their player interviews, they determined there was some dissension on the team. Have you heard this, and do you know if there was any dissension on the team?

I would not be surprised if there was. I've played on losing teams, and sometimes there is dissension and players blaming each other when things are not going well. I've been in locker room fist-tights on losing teams. But again, all I'd like to know is if it is true or not for last season's Cal team, or whether we just don't know. I'd appreciate your answer.

oskidunker
If you aske a question that might suggest the slightest questioning of the Current basketball regime, you are likely to get a snarky, condecending, angry reply. It's best not to question anything here. . At least, that's been my experience.
Go Bears!
joe amos yaks
Well, if you ask a reasonable question you deserve a cogent explanation and clear answer.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
MoragaBear
Staff
SFCityBear said:

MoragaBear said:

They obviously didn't.
You have obviously completely misunderstood my original post, to come up with this much vitriol in response to a simple, honest question: "How many all-Americans correctly predicted Brown would sign with Nevada?" I am an honest person. I have no ulterior motive. I asked a simple question just to get some information. I had no intention of going anywhere with it, or responding to anyone who gave me an answer. As you may know, I am very interested in how accurate recruit rankings may or may not be, and I am interested in how accurate the predictions of good players may be. Nothing more than that.
You had a long list of what was wrong with the team and listed why this might not have been attractive to the Brown's and I responded by saying if they agreed with you, Cal would've been eliminated a long time ago. Where's the vitriol in my response and where was the sunshine pumping when the OP passed on what McD AA's were saying at the time? As the OP said, none of them picked Cal.

Things obviously changed for the Brown's in the latter stages of his recruitment. Talking to the father several times myself, they expressed reluctance to play in the MWC until Nevada in the end became what they thought was their best choice.

As for dissension on the team, most every team that loses so many games has dissension. A lot of it came from Coleman and his brother. Winston and McCullough's dads were tweeting asking why the bench players weren't playing more. I didn't hear much of anything from those that remain on the team.
Big C
oskidunker said:

If you aske a question that might suggest the slightest questioning of the Current basketball regime, you are likely to get a snarky, condecending, angry reply. It's best not to question anything here. . At least, that's been my experience.
I haven't found that to be the case. Some posters this year have written many, many, negative posts, with nary a positive one. Okay, I get that this would be the prime season to have done that. Believe me, I get it! But when somebody goes "all negative" and their writing usually has a negative tone to it, as well, then that person can probably expect a commensurate reply.
KenBurnski
In 1926, the All Americans from the SF Boys Club of Southern Mission Street correctly predicted the signing location of their top teammate, Pass Passington. Passington set SFBCSMS records for pass attempts and completions, as well as sock height. Today's athletes use too many muscles and social media. I shot perfect free throw percentage when I played for the H Squad of my Junior High. In 1943, High Schools had twenty seven unique teams divided by sock length and ft percentage.

Robert Benchley used to like to smoke cigars, and I too, was a cigar smoker.
parentswerebears
KenBurnski said:

In 1926, the All Americans from the SF Boys Club of Southern Mission Street correctly predicted the signing location of their top teammate, Pass Passington. Passington set SFBCSMS records for pass attempts and completions, as well as sock height. Today's athletes use too many muscles and social media. I shot perfect free throw percentage when I played for the H Squad of my Junior High. In 1943, High Schools had twenty seven unique teams divided by sock length and ft percentage.

Robert Benchley used to like to smoke cigars, and I too, was a cigar smoker.
This just makes complete sense. Sock length determines so much.
TheSouseFamily
I'm other recruiting news, USC just got a commitment from 6-9 Onyeka Okongwu, rated as the #15 player in the country. Nice pull for USC.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.