Next years depth chart.

8,166 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Big C
Ccajon2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Caps for the guys with most mins. (IMHO)

5--Vanover
4--KELLY, Anticevich
3--SUING, Gordon, Erv. Davis
2--HARRIS-DYSON, BRADLEY (McCullough)
1--AUSTIN, MCNEIL, Orlander, (Winston)

Have fun disagreeing with me.
parentswerebears
I think its incomplete, so I disagree based solely on that.
oskidunker
Mcneill has to start.
Go Bears!
BeachedBear
I think the 5 starters (and most minutes) will be:

GRAD Transfer
BIG Freshman
Sueing
McNeil
Austin

The following will get significant minutes (and occasionally start, if needed):

Harris-Dyson
Gordon
Bradley

Davis, Vanover, Antecivich, Kelly, Frosh PG will get developmental minutes. Which means they could be significantly greater as the season goes on and they develop/get healthy/adapt. The bigs may get more opportunity due to depth, but I also expect us to play a lot of 4-1 based on matchups.
UrsaMajor
McNeill is not a pg
SFCityBear
UrsaMajor said:

McNeill is not a pg
Mebbee so, but Austin ain't gonna play 40 minutes every night, and the only other player on the roster who can handle the ball well enough to play PG is McNeill, IMO.
SFCityBear
Ccajon2 said:

5--Vanover
4--KELLY, Anticevich

McNeill starts. Erving ahead of Davis???? McCullogh and Winston no longer with us, presumably. Could be a lot of Kelly at the 5. Once again, we are depending a lot on incoming freshmen, and one is coming off an injury. At least Wyking Jones has seen this scenario before, and maybe will be better able to deal with it.
Big C
Do we pretty much know for sure that Grant Anticevich plans on returning to Cal next year and is committed to redoubling his efforts? (I have no specific reason to think otherwise... just looking for a confirmation.)
UrsaMajor
SFCityBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

McNeill is not a pg
Mebbee so, but Austin ain't gonna play 40 minutes every night, and the only other player on the roster who can handle the ball well enough to play PG is McNeill, IMO.
Strange as it may seem, I can see Harris-Dyson playing a few minutes at the 1 so McNeill can spot up as a shooter. JHD can drive; he did demonstrate some decent passing at times. Not a real point guard, but if we don't land Harris...
EricBear
Staff
Big C said:

Do we pretty much know for sure that Grant Anticevich plans on returning to Cal next year and is committed to redoubling his efforts? (I have no specific reason to think otherwise... just looking for a confirmation.)

Yes.
SFCityBear
UrsaMajor said:

SFCityBear said:

UrsaMajor said:

McNeill is not a pg
Strange as it may seem, I can see Harris-Dyson playing a few minutes at the 1 so McNeill can spot up as a shooter. JHD can drive; he did demonstrate some decent passing at times. Not a real point guard, but if we don't land Harris...
It is not too strange. I think he has the potential to play point someday. He dribbles well enough to start and complete drives to the basket. It is dribbling well enough to bring the ball up the floor against pressure that I would question. He needs to improve that skill. On the other hand, in order to get consistent minutes at the shooting guard, he will need to improve his shooting. He has work to do this summer.
concordtom
parentswerebears said:

I think its incomplete, so I disagree based solely on that.
He's just trying to change the subject.
Okay, I'll have the ham sandwich. No, make it the veggie loaf, actually, but put extra sauce on it, please.
concordtom
Ccajon2 said:

5--Vanover
4--KELLY, Anticevich

Until JHD learns to shoot a jumper, he ain't starting. Depth takes over.
PtownBear1
I'll play, with the assumption that Brown/Harris aren't coming and the grad transfer is:

5--Grad transfer, Kelly, Vanover
4--KELLY, Sueing, Antecivich, Davis
3--SUING, Bradley, Gordon, HD
2--Mcneill, Bradley, HD
1--AUSTIN, MCNEIL

I'm thinking WJ won't differentiate much between the 2/3 and will also try combos for several minutes a game to get Mcneill, Sueing, and Bradley on the floor together with Austin facilitating.
bearybear
5 - Grad Tnsfr, Kelly, Anticevech
4 - Sueing, Kelly, Gordon, Anticevech
3 - JHD, Sueing, Bradley, Gordon
2 - McNeil, Bradley, Gordon
1 - Austin, McNeil

Think we are going small next year.
concordtom
bearybear said:

Will be hard provided we have no proven shooter.
Civil Bear
concordtom said:

bearybear said:

Easier than going big with no proven bigs. At least there is depth at the wings.
parentswerebears
1 Austin, McNeill, ?
2 McNeill, Bradley, JHD
3 Sueing, Bradley, Logjam
4 Brown (yeah, I think he comes), Kelly, Anticevich
5 Mystery grad transfer, Vanover, Kelly
parentswerebears
I trust the scouting chops of Moraga, Eric and Greg and think we have some guys who are going to put up some serious numbers- Sueing can shoot. Bradley can, Gordon can, Austin can will get his points. Grad transfer can flipping ball (pure guess). And Brown will get buckets. . I've even heard that Kelly has a good shot. The guys from last year, I'll bet will improve. I think we are a tough out in the tourney.
Ccajon2
I made the post based on what we have, not on what we hope to have. Thinking that the 7 footer will bs a year to beef up. Sure don't know what's going to happen to wjs two rejectees.
OdontoBear66
parentswerebears said:

I trust the scouting chops of Moraga, Eric and Greg and think we have some guys who are going to put up some serious numbers- Sueing can shoot. Bradley can, Gordon can, Austin can will get his points. Grad transfer can flipping ball (pure guess). And Brown will get buckets. . I've even heard that Kelly has a good shot. The guys from last year, I'll bet will improve. I think we are a tough out in the tourney.
I agree on Sueing. He will play best when he is part of the machinery and not the "go to" guy as he had to be last year. Look back on his years at MD and you will see how he plays when not the prime focus. The best is yet to come with Sueing.
parentswerebears
Ever the optimist, I can't help but think what we may have.
Big C
Ccajon2 said:

I made the post based on what we have, not on what we hope to have. Thinking that the 7 footer will bs a year to beef up. Sure don't know what's going to happen to wjs two rejectees.

Vanover will probably get 10-15 minutes-per-game just out of necessity (if we don't get anybody else at the 4 or 5).
Ccajon2
Like your optimism, we get this line-up and Cal is flirting with a conference title and sweet-16
BeachedBear
Ccajon2 said:

Like your optimism, we get this line-up and Cal is flirting with a conference title and sweet-16
I also like the optimism. If that happens, then WJ is probably a pretty darn good coach.

However, even with that roster, I would lower my expectations to a top third P12 finish and making the NCAA tourney. Getting the talent is only part of the puzzle. Making the pieces fit and execute better than the competition is a big piece as well. I'm only cautiously optimistic at this point (but not overly confident).
oskidunker
Maybe 500 if everyone comes. Just my opinion.

Coach still learning. No experienced big men .too many new players.
Go Bears!
helltopay1
we need to WAIT until we have all the pieces from thge spring recruiting class. Then we can project the starting lineup as well as the rotation.
SFCityBear
concordtom said:

bearybear said:

What exactly does Darius McNeill have to do to prove to you he is a shooter?
petalumabear
SFCityBear said:

concordtom said:

bearybear said:

Probably post about his high school FT shooting percentage SFCity.... :-)
Reasonable people can disagree about who is/isn't a shooter. As a true frosh, handling the PG duties and being responsible for his share of our offense, I thought Darius did a good job. His biggest negative would be his lack of consistency which (to my mind) had more to due with him being a freshman and not having many other consistent options around him.

just my .02c
helltopay1
Darius is easily the best perimeter shooter on the team. needs to play off the ball to maximize his skills. bradley did not participate in the 3 pt shooting contest. probably shows a lack of confidence in that area of his game. No matter. he is a good player who will help Cal. shooting help arrives the following year with Smith. Now---let's have available openings--
SFCityBear
petalumabear said:

SFCityBear said:

concordtom said:

bearybear said:

Probably post about his high school FT shooting percentage SFCity.... :-)
Reasonable people can disagree about who is/isn't a shooter. As a true frosh, handling the PG duties and being responsible for his share of our offense, I thought Darius did a good job. His biggest negative would be his lack of consistency which (to my mind) had more to due with him being a freshman and not having many other consistent options around him.

just my .02c
Yep. Big jump to D1 from high school for a freshman. They don't play 35 games in their main high school team or AAU team schedule, do they? Nor do they travel as often or play 10 conference games in away arenas with 10,000 hostile fans screaming at them. I felt McNeill showed excellent shooting in the pre-season, with much less pressure, but when the conference began and game pressure increased and so did exhaustion, his shooting tailed off. This year he knows what it will be like, and he won't have to prepare to play point guard as often and he can work on getting loose to get open looks at the basket. Three point shooting for almost every player is inconsistent, but I expect him to be more consistent this season, just because he knows what to expect, and will have less offensive responsibility if Austin is the real deal.
Big C
It seemed like McNeill was more in his shooting rhythm when he was playing point, like he needed to take a dribble or two. No doubt he'll be working on "catch and shoot" this off-season. I hope he's watching Klay Thompson.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.