Chauca article

19,171 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Chapman_is_Gone
Chunger89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://spark.adobe.com/page/8SxBGtV75zs8Y/

I'm not trying to insinuate anything, but here's Brandon Chauca's statement on what went down behind the scenes.
KoreAmBear
We're talking a lot about it on the insider board. I'm glad Brandon got to express himself. It is the truth but only coming from him. There is objective truth and truth from perception (sincere but subjective). Both sides will say they have the "truth." But there's no referee here. Just stories and narratives.
bearybear
So Winston and McCullough are bad dudes too? I dunno - seems like there is a pattern here and quite frankly Wyking should have been begging Brandon to play this year - he might be defensive liability, but We needed shooting badly and some experienced ball handlers.
KoreAmBear
bearybear said:

So Winston and McCullough are bad dudes too? I dunno - seems like there is a pattern here and quite frankly Wyking should have been begging Brandon to play this year - he might be defensive liability, but We needed shooting badly and some experienced ball handlers.
Ye, I don't know what to believe. I'm not taking either side on this one. I just know that we've heard only from Brandon, that's it. But I certainly am on the fence with Wyking as a coach period. This upcoming season will be an important one to prove his chops.
MoragaBear
Staff
He conveniently left out being busted for plagiarism and other rules violations.

If they wanted to, they could've played hard ball with him and he could've lost his chance at a degree and much, much more so I'm pretty surprised he thought it was a good idea to put this out there.
SFCityBear
Thanks for posting this. We don't know if it is the truth or not. It did seem believable until I read the part about Domingo being one of the team's best three-point shooters. Domingo must have been lighting it up in practice, because he did not make many threes in games.

I have to feel sorry for the kid. He had such high aspirations, seemed to do what the coach asked, suffered a lot of injuries, and then was unceremoniously dumped. To ask a kid to get in the best shape of his life over the summer, and then dump him, if it happened, was not a good way to handle a player, whether he was potentially in the rotation or on the bench. Chauca plays up his own abilities, which frankly are not what most fans saw on the floor. And he writes with resentment, which he may be justified in doing or thinking, but it means we need to wait for the all truth to come out, which it may never do. It took some courage, i guess, to write this, but I don't like hearing this about a Cal player and a Cal coach.

As to being late for practice, you can't just hear about the time, you have to always see if the time is posted, and if not, you need to ask the coach. You can't ever be late to practice or to a game. I guess no one told him about Eddie Hart missing his starting time in the Olympics. And i didn't like the hearsay alleging what Wyking said to Winston and McCullogh. If Chauca wanted to put Jones under a magnifying glass this coming season, he has certainly contributed to it. Nevertheless, I congratulate him for graduating and getting his degree, and wish him well in whatever he does. He is still young and becoming a man is not without its lumps and bruises.
KoreAmBear
Didn't Domingo light up summer league.
oskidunker
He did in Australia underMike Montgomery, I think but not sure.
Go Bears!
HKBear97!
MoragaBear said:

He conveniently left out being busted for plagiarism and other rules violations.

If they wanted to, they could've played hard ball with him and he could've lost his chance at a degree and much, much more so I'm pretty surprised he thought it was a good idea to put this out there.
Curious, do you have any issue with how Chauca, Winston and McCullough are being handled by this staff? Any misgivings or concerns?

I completely understand the rationale and that it is the ugly side of Division 1 basketball, but we now have this story coming out along with a clearly upset Winston group. It's a very bad look.
MoragaBear
Staff
I doubt the situations were handled perfectly but there's a way you respond as players and families to situations like these, if only for your own future prospects -just like the dominant majority of other athletes out there handle similar scenarios and like Eric did. You certainly don't cast stones when you were allowed to stay and graduate when most ordinary students would be thrown out on the spot for serious academic violations.
socaliganbear
Ugh to all of this....
4thGenCal
MoragaBear said:

MB - totally correct and I need to comment on this extremely one sided/inaccurate recount of his time on the roster. First I know Brandon and have received several calls in the past to constantly help him out (all perfectly legal from compliance approved dinner, life advice etc). When you plagiaris a final and fortunately have a professor who allows an "incomplete" vs a failing grade, coupled have other rules violations, you are held accountable for repeated actions. Wyking took the high road by allowing Brandon to retain his scholarship, when He would have been completely justified in releasing him outright with no scholarship aid. Extremely disappointed in this attempt to discredit Wyking.
concordtom
Was it Harvey Weinstein who said, "Shut up, if you ever want to work in this town again." ???

Or did he say, "don't bite that hand that feeds you" ?

Or maybe he just said, "you are lucky we gave you that part. You should show a little more respect."
Econ141
If true, then Chauca-khan, I think I hate you.
BearGoggles
KoreAmBear said:

We're talking a lot about it on the insider board. I'm glad Brandon got to express himself. It is the truth but only coming from him. There is objective truth and truth from perception (sincere but subjective). Both sides will say they have the "truth." But there's no referee here. Just stories and narratives.
I don't understand that statement at all. Why would you be glad that someone opportunistically "expressed himself" in a one-sided (and, due to material omissions, misleading) account? I'd have had more respect for him if he did it at the time - not on the cusp of graduation when the post is intended primarily as revenge.

The reality is this reflects very poorly on Chauca as well. Any "overseas team" who might offer him a job (as he's dubiously claiming) would think twice after seeing that post. Not to mention any other employer - it is a major red flag.

Civil Bear
Chauca sounds like the guy that got fired and blames everyone but himself. Tough to learn from your mistakes and grow as a person that way.
ThesePretzels
"I was a 4th year veteran, and was considered one of the best, if not the best shooter on a team full of extremely accurate perimeter shooters (Stephen Domingo, Jordan Mathews, Jabari Bird, etc). When I played decent minutes my freshman year I shot in the top 98% in the country when guarded which was #1 in the PAC-12."

He shot 40.4% as a freshman. Kingsley shot 46% that same year. For his statistic to be true, he must have been rarely covered, which is telling in and of itself.

And the statement he might be a better shooter than Jabari Bird... gotta love that confidence.

oskidunker
I think Amonde Amoke was suspended for the same thing but not sure. I know he was released from thevteam after we won the pac 12 but that was for another issue. Anyway I remember it was in the newspaper. This stuff eventually gets out.
Go Bears!
socaltownie
<Sigh>. Short guy syndrome (or at least short guy playing hoop syndrome).

Think about how hard Jerome had to work and the gulf between the effectiveness of Jerome and Chauca. Size challenged, he was a defensive liability everytime he was on the court.
packawana
MoragaBear said:

Frankly I'd like someone on the team to come say something about this. If its true then they should come out and say it outright.
BeachedBear
Looking at the OP's link and all of the other pieces of recent info about Chauca's story, I have come to a pretty quick, but solid conclusion.

There are people outside of Chauca and his family who have an agenda to bring these types of stories to light. Part of me thinks that is fine, but a bigger part of me is annoyed that . . .

1. They are portraying only one side of the story.
2. They are portraying Chauca as the naive victim.

Methinks they are cajoling him and others into doing this more publicly than it warrants. They are hiding behind the victims to promote their agenda. Cal MBB and the staff are the target.

There is a reason this story and the Winston/McCullough narratives are not covered by other media outlets. They know this for what it is. At this point in time, I support the University and the MBB program for NOT responding to or acknowledging these taunts. (However, I may change my mind if more comes to light).
SFCityBear
KoreAmBear said:

Didn't Domingo light up summer league.
I saw him play a couple of games in the SFProAm summer league, and he made several threes in those games.
SFCityBear
oskidunker said:

He did in Australia underMike Montgomery, I think but not sure.
Australia trip was under Cuonzo Martin. Domingo never played for Mike Montgomery. I watched the Cal-Illawarra(?) game video and I don't remember if Domingo made any threes in that one.
SFCityBear
oskidunker said:

I think Amonde Amoke was suspended for the same thing but not sure. I know he was released from thevteam after we won the pac 12 but that was for another issue. Anyway I remember it was in the newspaper. This stuff eventually gets out.
Amoke was not suspended, he was dropped from the team, for allegedly stealing laptops. You may be thinking of Richard Solomon, who was suspended for plagiarism.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
socaliganbear
SFCityBear said:

oskidunker said:

Amoke was not suspended, he was dropped from the team, for allegedly stealing laptops. You may be thinking of Richard Solomon, who was suspended for plagiarism.
Oh, I thought it was for weed.
Big C
BeachedBear said:

Looking at the OP's link and all of the other pieces of recent info about Chauca's story, I have come to a pretty quick, but solid conclusion.

There are people outside of Chauca and his family who have an agenda to bring these types of stories to light. Part of me thinks that is fine, but a bigger part of me is annoyed that . . .

1. They are portraying only one side of the story.
2. They are portraying Chauca as the naive victim.

Methinks they are cajoling him and others into doing this more publicly than it warrants. They are hiding behind the victims to promote their agenda. Cal MBB and the staff are the target.

There is a reason this story and the Winston/McCullough narratives are not covered by other media outlets. They know this for what it is. At this point in time, I support the University and the MBB program for NOT responding to or acknowledging these taunts. (However, I may change my mind if more comes to light).
I agree with everything you wrote and would only add that one reason this might not ever get much coverage is that Cal Basketball is so far under the radar these days. I wanna say that one of our "premier" games this past season (one of the Stanfurd games maybe?) had its story hidden on page 6 of the Chron sports section the day after the game. A he-said/he-said story concerning an ex-bench warmer most people have never heard of? Well, pretty much nobody cares (except for a few hundred of us). Now, if it were the 49ers...
oskidunker
Wilner has already tweeted a link to the article but has no mentioned yet on the Hot Line.

Also a link just showed up as a google news story when I clicked on google to search for something else. The link is to California Golden Blogs. First time Inhave a link from google news to them. Maybe they know Inam a Cal fan and only sent it to a Cal fans. I think these news feeds are customized.
Go Bears!
KenBurnski
Chauca got dinged for being a playboy. WJ is a massive hater.
concordtom
I hear chicks dig the high wave hair.
Ccajon2
Like every other "poseur" on thus board, I suspect my like/dislike of WJs "roster-managment" will correlate directly with # of wins over 20/# if wins under 10.
socaltownie
Ccajon2 said:

Like every other "poseur" on thus board, I suspect my like/dislike of WJs "roster-managment" will correlate directly with # of wins over 20/# if wins under 10.
Disagree.

This is more evidence of "learning on the job". Do you think this is the first time a coach has made poor recruiting decisions? That a parent had delusions of granduer for his kid? That twitter became a thing?

This is NOT rocket science. After several years of experience and watching you figure it out (if you are going to last) - understanding how to evaluate talent sooner, how to get young men to figure out what they want to do with their lives sooner, living with a mistake (if that is what it is) in respect to recruiting to minimize damage, etc. etc. etc.

It might NOT be fair but the truth is that it is pretty easy to view what is going on by understanding that this is Jones FIRST gig at being a HC. In all likelihood the mistakes are magnified because of the small margin of error from being "good" in the P5 and being bad. Larry Turner can learn on the job at UCI because, lets face it, if you mess up and lose a few more games in the Big West no one care because all that anyone remembers is whether you win the conference tournie and show up for 10 minutes of hard played basketball before losing to Kansas in the dance.

It is time to cowboy up Bears fans and realize that a change MUST be made. And lets also face it, the more we have perspective the more I am very skeptical that coming from the Rick Patino coaching tree means a damm thing other than you learn how to skirt the rules. Slick Rick hasn't built a team that overperformed in relationship to its talent for 20 years.

rkt88edmo
Agree there are real indicators it is first time growing pains for the HC. As much as I'd like to say that we shouldn't be having someone cutting their teeth here, I think our situation with academics, and leadership and demands to perform as a true P5 contender team are a lot of plates top spin. If we are going to let someone learn the HC ropes, it has to be a long term project. (for better or worse).

That being said, new AD, so it may not matter what the intention was when hiring WJ.

Yeah, Brandon's post definitely reads like some sour grapes, but look, he has taken a devastating blow in his young life, I can't even begin to understand how unsettling that can be. Hopefully he can look past that and see the long game for himself in life, which would probably include less public grousing.
concordtom
Growing agreement that it's Rick's fault!!
Ccajon2

Who could we get to replace him at this late date? Only reasonable alternative now would be Jason Kidd.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.