Old Guys Still Playing

3,641 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sonofabear51
MSaviolives
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As I was getting off the freeway last night, there was a small sign on the off ramp saying something like Over 50 Basketball League, and it gave a phone #. Hmmm, says I. I'm 61, back in reasonable shape, but haven't actually played since my late 40s, when I finally had to flick it in because of a series of sprained ankles--I was basically spraining my sprains at that point.

But with over a decade on the IR, maybe I'm ready to get back to it! I used to enjoy playing with the old guys, most of whom wore leg braces and cheated like crazy--I had hoped to become one of them. Is there hope? Who of you old guys still play?
joe amos yaks
I played injury-free in a City of Pleasanton novice / intermediate league until I was 60. The league was well run with solid officiating and in a nice gym. 90% of the guys who play are really fine fellows; however, grabbing and cheating is part of the game.

Btw -- There are always a few guys who think they should have played in the big time and have something to prove. I didn't re-up when I stopped having fun which was when I started being concerned about being bounced around by a few rogue elements. My advice is to play as long as you are able in a well operated league, with people you like, and as long as you are enjoying the game.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
GMP
MSaviolives said:

As I was getting off the freeway last night, there was a small sign on the off ramp saying something like Over 50 Basketball League, and it gave a phone #. Hmmm, says I. I'm 61, back in reasonable shape, but haven't actually played since my late 40s, when I finally had to flick it in because of a series of sprained ankles--I was basically spraining my sprains at that point.

But with over a decade on the IR, maybe I'm ready to get back to it! I used to enjoy playing with the old guys, most of whom wore leg braces and cheated like crazy--I had hoped to become one of them. Is there hope? Who of you old guys still play?
I'm only 36 - but I play in a friendly, weekly game in my neighborhood with players at a wide range of ages. The game has been going on for at least 30 years, with a few of the older guys among the founding members. There are guys as young as mid-20s, but there are many in their 40s, 50s and 60s, and a couple guys even in their late 70s. We try to split teams up fairly so that each player has someone of equivalent age/skill level to guard. If those guys in their 70s can do it, so can you.

bearister
F anaerobic sports for old guys. Sometimes the ticker goes stop but doesn't start again.

"Tennis, basketball, racquetball, soccer, volleyball, football and other start-and-stop sports are anaerobic because of the high heart rates, short durations and longer recovery periods you experience when you play them. Depending on how competitive you are, the number of people on the field and what rules you use, your heart rate will vary. For example, a recreational game of tennis doubles will not raise your heart rate or burn as many calories as competitive singles. A soccer goalie will not have the same heart rate as a midfielder." AZ Central
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
smokeyrover
Is the over50 league or age-diverse pickup game in the Bay Area by any chance?

MSaviolives
smokeyrover said:

The one I saw the sign for is Contra Costa (925)--looking at it again it is over 55. Seems like most YMCAs I have been to have age-diverse games, and I used to play at Oakland's Club One (now Active Sports Club) with plenty of old guys. Several would grab my shirt when I would blast by them--I never begrudged them that
oskidunker
There is one in a Redwood City at the community center. I have thought about going there but from where I live Inwould be in the asilicon valley traffic since they play in the morning. I wish there was something closer to where I live but most gyms are not open for basketball until 7 pm.
Go Bears!
concordtom
I'm 50 later this summer, and been over the hill for a long time.
More power to y'all!
sonofabear51
The key is to keep moving, be it basketball, walking ,running, etc. I think it is one of the most important things to staying in good health as we age. I gave up Basketball long ago, but have been a long distance runner since I was 20. I have completed 50 full marathons. I am now 58, and recently did the New Orleans 1/2 marathon in 2:05. I have 5 more 1/2 marathons on tap for this year, the next one is Mountains to the Beach in about 2 weeks down here in Ventura County. I guess the message is don't stop, keep moving, keep playing.
concordtom
Applause.
Allow me to buy you a V8.
Thanks.
sonofabear51
Naw, you can buy me a single malt. That or a really good oaky chardonnay, or a thick pinot noir. Next time I am in the Bay Area. Cheers Concord! Enjoy your posts!
Cal8488
I play in a weekly game with a handful of guys in their 20's and 30's, but most of the the guys are in their 50's. We have a few guys in their late 60's. In 10 years of play and a sample size of about 30 players, we have had 3 torn achilles tendons. All 3 were there for the 1st time. None of the regular weekly players has suffered a serious injury
Bjorn91
Turning 50 this summer...play every weekend at local high school gym with about 20+ semi-regulars ranging from early 30's to mid 60's.

After every injury I say that the next one means retirement for me. But it's too fun and I can still shoot better than most of the Cal players (can't do much else, though).
GMP
smokeyrover said:

Mine is in SF. Sunday mornings.
ddc_Cal
If you are able to play in the mornings, there are excellent senior softball leagues around. (Slow pitch)
concordtom
Is there a keg on second base???
BeachedBear
Used to play BBall on Sunday mornings at the JM gym in Moraga. Until I ruptured my Achilles tendon, when a couple of the guys HS age kids picked up the pace one day (one played for Miramonte and the other played for Campo. It got competitive and the old guys tried to keep up). Now I hike as much as I can and use it as an excuse to travel the world with my kids.
Oursol
I still play in the game BeachedBear mentioned. I've been playing since around 1999-2000 and seen a lot of people come and go. At 57, I am now one of the elders. I am lucky to have only mildly sprained an ankle a time or two.

HearstMining
sonofabear51 said:

The key is to keep moving, be it basketball, walking ,running, etc. I think it is one of the most important things to staying in good health as we age. I gave up Basketball long ago, but have been a long distance runner since I was 20. I have completed 50 full marathons. I am now 58, and recently did the New Orleans 1/2 marathon in 2:05. I have 5 more 1/2 marathons on tap for this year, the next one is Mountains to the Beach in about 2 weeks down here in Ventura County. I guess the message is don't stop, keep moving, keep playing.
Yep, keep moving. I started running Spring of my senior year (1976) on the firetrail in Strawberry Canyon. I still played basketball sporadically until my late 30s, but running turned out to be what I was meant to do - I ran a few marathons (but not 50 - you are a tough MF!) and it was easier to fit into a normal lifestyle. Even at my best, I always knew there were 15 year-old girls who could kick my a$$! Lately, I probably bicycle more than run (did the Sierra Metric Century last month). In fact, cycling has exploded in much of the US in the last 15 years. Easy to see the appeal: folks can buy an infinite amount of gadgets and clothing, they can enjoy it even when they're in lousy shape, and they can stop at every bakery on their ride and still think they're getting a workout. Where I live near Roseville/Auburn, there are great roads and trails to ride (just get out there at 6AM in the summer). But when push comes to shove, I'm still a runner and that firetrail is still a special place.
ddc_Cal
Senior softball, Tom, senior. So no keg.

It's hard enough even getting to second base. But there are leagues on weekday mornings right there at Baldwin and Willow Pass. And Heather Farm.
bluesaxe
MSaviolives said:

I am about your age. I played pickup and city league until I was 51, the leagues being typically 35 and older or 40 and older, pickup games being all comers. There were always guys in their 60's still hanging on and being effective in some way. I'd still be playing now if I hadn't hurt my knee badly playing baseball. The trick is not to overdo it, manage whatever minor injuries come up (and they will), and realize that you aren't going to out-jump anyone and there is less risk of getting hurt if you try, so learn to box out really well, learn to play the angles on defense, always pump-fake younger guys because they love to jump, and you can become one of those annoying old guys at the gym as long as you can shoot.
SFCityBear
There used to be an Asian American basketball league one night a week at the Presidio Junior (now Middle) High School gym. That League may still be in existence. Asians from all over the Bay Area competed. Most of the college age players in that league would eat Brandon Chauca alive, IMO.

Norm Owyoung of Washington High and Chinatown Rec Center, who once got a tryout with the GS Warriors, tore up the Warrior practices. He was unstoppable, but was cut from the team for being too small. He then began playing in that Asian League at Presidio. When he was 70, and still playing in the league's old-timer division, he said their games were reduced to half court, and his team of 70-year olds played defense by standing in a row and making a wall to defend the basket. When one guy got hit, they all fell down. Norman quit playing at 74. A high school teammate of mine, Hiroshi, played in that league until almost 60. One day, he didn't see a pass coming and the ball hit him in the face and broke his nose. His wife said, "Hiroshi, if you can't see a pass coming, it's time to retire," and he did. Another high school teammate of mine, Willie, just retired from his league in Diamond Bar at age 72, with knee problems. He was a runner and is still in great shape doing bike races in the Sierras.

My advice is go for it, if you can, and more power to you.
concordtom
bluesaxe said:

I am about your age. I played pickup and city league until I was 51, the leagues being typically 35 and older or 40 and older, pickup games being all comers. There were always guys in their 60's still hanging on and being effective in some way. I'd still be playing now if I hadn't hurt my knee badly playing baseball. The trick is not to overdo it, manage whatever minor injuries come up (and they will), and realize that you aren't going to out-jump anyone and there is less risk of getting hurt if you try, so learn to box out really well, learn to play the angles on defense, always pump-fake younger guys because they love to jump, and you can become one of those annoying old guys at the gym as long as you can shoot.
Lol, and so true.
Big C
One of the last times I had fun playing was when I was 40ish and in France. Used to play in pick-up games with international students from around the world and some local French students. Mostly young adults.

A lot of them had some moves and THOUGHT they could play, but didn't have most of the nuances, such as boxing out for a rebound. They all wanted to play zone, which, to them, meant easier defense. There was little physicality. At 5-11, with sub-high school level skills, I could rebound and block shots with impunity.

There would usually also be a smattering of better players. Once I had a young guy from Slovakia on my team... good player (approx level of an average HS point guard)... he could tell exactly how good I was (i.e. not very, but I knew what I was doing) and kept motioning for me to go back door and he would throw me an alley-oop. At a break, I explained that I didn't think I could do it and he said, "Of course we do it!" We go back out there and I fake like I'm coming out to the arc, then I cut to the basket for a PERFECT pass, which I put in off the glass, probably my first and only alley-oop basket in a 5-on-5 game.

Nowadays, I'll only play if everybody has a tacit agreement to not exceed "3/4 speed", as I really don't want to tear or break anything.
sonofabear51
ITY for your post. I was running street races except for the yearly trail 10k race in Topanga from 1991-2007. Then the trail races expanded here via Xterra and other running companies. Love trail races, did 2 Ultras, Bulldog 50k in 2010, and Ray Miller 50k in 2013. At that point, I figured I was close to 50 marathons also. My 50th marathon was in Portland Maine in 2014. Good times, thank you for letting me share,
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.