Mike Williams Honored for outstanding work

3,068 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by oskidunker
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.facebook.com/CalAthletics/posts/10156080142941900

better than Bib Bockrath
Go Bears!
Golden One
oskidunker said:

https://www.facebook.com/CalAthletics/posts/10156080142941900

better than Bib Bockrath
If Mike Williams exceeded our standard of excellence, it tells you all you need to know about how low our standards are for our athletic programs.
PtownBear1
Going beyond the call of duty and exceeding the standard of excellence? LOL

I suppose we didn't have any athletes arrested for a major crime under his watch, maybe that's the standard.
socaliganbear
This probably because of the millions he's donated tbh...
petalumabear
socaliganbear said:

This probably because of the millions he's donated tbh...
Are you sure socal? I thought it was because he was retiring....
oskidunker
it must be the baby races
Go Bears!
UrsaMajor
I know everyone hates Mike (I don't like him that much myself), but he's gone, people. What's the point in snide comments? Let the man get his certificate and leave.
oskidunker
Calbstarted the thread by posting on Twitter
Go Bears!
petalumabear
UrsaMajor said:

I know everyone hates Mike (I don't like him that much myself), but he's gone, people. What's the point in snide comments? Let the man get his certificate and leave.
Sorry Ursa... just having some fun. I'm sure he's a good man but poorly suited for the role he volunteered for and then ultimately sought. Gallows humor don't you know..
Another Bear
You guys sure are a proud bunch...in a loser sorta way.
PtownBear1
Thinking about how historically awful Cal basketball has become and the fact that there's currently a $3m impediment to try to make a positive change reminded me of this thread and how laughable it is that the university awarded Mr. Williams after his service.

I would argue that the WJ hire was lazy. It reminds me of when I was once trying to fill a position before going on vacation for 3 weeks and just hired one of our first interviews even though I wasn't impressed by the candidate. I didn't have time to go through my normal process and assumed it's better to just have the position filled with anyone than left vacant but man was I wrong. It took us months to recover from that horrible hire.

But what bothers me the most is not so much the gamble on a completely unqualified candidate, but tying the university to a 5 year contract. Are you telling me you couldn't negotiate a 3 year contract with someone who had zero experience and no other chance at being a HC anywhere to triple their salary? I find it very hard to believe they couldn't have reached an agreement on a 3 year contract with some negotiation and effort.

bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oskidunker
I hope Wyking gave Williams some of the millions he is getting.
Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.