The Kicker Evaluation. Or an Ode to jorge

4,586 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by smokeyrover
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
anyone care to enlighten us as to how he is doing?

i think he had an ok year.
Go Bears!
socaltownie
oskidunker said:

anyone care to enlighten us as to how he is doing?

i think he had an ok year.
He had a amazing year. I believe it is among the greatest one year turn arounds in NCAA history. Now my understanding is that he had some good pieces fall into place (a kid or 2 coming back from injury - and then the reality of the non P5 that if you do well but lose your conference tournament you are screwed but I believe they mirrored our record to the upside (23-9)
calumnus
Then there was this:

http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/2018/02/former-ua-assistants-book-richardson-and-joe-pasternack-work-with-agneys-for-recruits
helltopay1
Joe Pasternak????????In the immortal words off John mcEnroe, "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS." A small white guy with no basketball background before he became the video coordinator for ben braun. That Joe Pasternak???The Joe Pasternak who married into the Roxy bernstein family????That Joe pasternak????Oh right!!!!He will do well recruiting three, four and five star african'american athletes. Right!!!'YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS."!!!
oskidunker
Well, if he had not kicked Jorge and never knew Roxie MAYBE then he would be ok? Thrnational search firm searched and searched and didn't know where to find him.

By the way, I was never a fan of Tim O'toole. I think somewhere along the line he lost his lucky charms.

A good scotch may change your mind about the kicker.
Go Bears!
BeachedBear
calumnus said:

Then there was this:

http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/2018/02/former-ua-assistants-book-richardson-and-joe-pasternack-work-with-agneys-for-recruits
When I was more connected to the program under Braun, I got to spend some time with Joe. My personal opinion of him as a person is mixed, but he does live and breathe basketball! He has a good (and rare) balance of X/O's, recruiting and what it takes to run a program (organization, running practice, fundraising, donor outreach). At the time, I thought he would make an excellent basketball coach someday.

However, the item above (and some other related tidbits) suggest to me that it is best to steer clear of him until this FBI thing is settled. I hope (for his sake) that nothing comes of it, but am cautiously pessimistic.

I know a number of posters got excited when Joe's name, Musselman and Bennett were tossed out after Cuonzo left. For various reasons, I would be surprised if any of them were to come to Cal.

helltopay1
Dear Oskidunker: There is no such thing as a good scotch. All scotches taste like Iodine. Actually, I prefer iodine. but that's just me. Joe pasternak??Please explain to me once again how a small white guy will be able to recruit talented african-american players??Maybe Rick Pitino in his prime. tribalism is still the name of the game and we would be foolish to ignore it or pretend it does';t exist.
helltopay1
Dear Oski---hope to see you at the games--we need the MGT.
Big C
helltopay1 said:

Dear Oskidunker: There is no such thing as a good scotch. All scotches taste like Iodine. Actually, I prefer iodine. but that's just me. Joe pasternak??Please explain to me once again how a small white guy will be able to recruit talented african-american players??Maybe Rick Pitino in his prime. tribalism is still the name of the game and we would be foolish to ignore it or pretend it does';t exist.
I don't care for Scotch either, but I can tell you how a small white hoops coach can recruit talented African-American players...

- is respectful and sincere
- is personable, with a charismatic personality
- commands respect with coaching skills
- sells recruits that their talents will be maximized and showcased
- is hard-working, relentless
- works as a team with a diverse staff (almost certainly including multiple African-Americans)

I'm not too keen on the possibility of Pasternak being at Cal, but it's not because of his size or race.
tsubamoto2001
Laughable.

Small white guys have been able to recruit talented black players for a long time. A small white dude (Musselman) just beat us out for Jordan Brown.

helltopay1 said:

tsubamoto2001
Pasternack has baggage, but so does Wyking. That they were both options spoke to Mike Williams' ineptitude in identifying prospects for the job. The Wyking hire was abominable. Like buying a lemon, just so you had something to drive. Due diligence was not practiced in this hire and now the program is in the crapper for the next few years.

Big C said:

helltopay1 said:

I don't care for Scotch either, but I can tell you how a small white hoops coach can recruit talented African-American players...

- is respectful and sincere
- is personable, with a charismatic personality
- commands respect with coaching skills
- sells recruits that their talents will be maximized and showcased
- is hard-working, relentless
- works as a team with a diverse staff (almost certainly including multiple African-Americans)

I'm not too keen on the possibility of Pasternak being at Cal, but it's not because of his size or race.
Civil Bear
Wasn't the video kid the lead recruiter at Arizona?
TheSouseFamily
helltopay1 said:

Joe Pasternak????????In the immortal words off John mcEnroe, "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS." A small white guy with no basketball background before he became the video coordinator for ben braun. That Joe Pasternak???The Joe Pasternak who married into the Roxy bernstein family????That Joe pasternak????Oh right!!!!He will do well recruiting three, four and five star african'american athletes. Right!!!'YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS."!!!

Wait, what?

John Calipari: 5'11"
Mike Shashefski: 5'10"
Roy Williams: 5'10"
Tom Izzo: 5'9"
Sean Miller: 6'0" (generously)
John Wooden: 5'10"
helltopay1
Dear Souse; YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS.
TheSouseFamily
helltopay1 said:

Dear Souse; YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS.

I never joke about height! Speaking of John McEnroe, he was only 5'11" too.
calgo430
i thought wyking could out recruit joe when they were candidates for the job. its possible that i will be proven wrong. the 2018-19 season will give us the answer on the progress of mcneill and the abilities of the freshman coming in.
oskidunker
Well I know there might be hell to pay but everyone knows the Souse family was the best family to ever come out of Old Germany. Not to be bigoted , but The Highland Dutch and the low land Dutch Do not compare in arhletic ability
Nor do the Irish.

Go Bears!
mikecohen
oskidunker said:

Well I know there might be hell to pay but everyone knows the Souse family was the best family to ever come out of Old Germany. Not to be bigoted , but The Highland Dutch and the low land Dutch Do not compare in arhletic ability
Nor do the Irish.

or the Rotterdam Dutch
StillABear1
I'm fairly close to a couple of UCSB people and I have seen quite a few of their games. Just my opinion, but I think Joe is the type of coach you love when he is on your side and hate when he is against you.

They (UCSB) believe he is clear of any wrong doing at Arizona or he would not have been hired obviously. As mentioned in this thread, Joe lives and breathes basketball; at the extreme. No one will outwork him. He has injected new life into the program and is ambitious as can be. Bob Williams was a long tenured, very well respected coach whose contract was not renewed after a really unfortunate year, much of the misfortune out of his control. Joe didn't come to SB and see an empty cupboard. But often change is good and this guy is all in.

His players play for him and he has their backs. The turnaround last year, on paper looked miraculous, but he did get back two bigs and then was able to bring in two grad transfers for the first time in UCSB history. One, Leland King, was first team All Big West and the other, Marcus Jackson, was a key contributor and even subjected himself to the team first mantra by playing PG. Because of the success of King and Jackson, both on the court and off (both excellent students that will receive their master's degrees in June), Joe has built up equity with admissions and he has another grad transfer coming in next year, Ar'mond Davis from Alabama, who will be a very tough wing in the Big West. They may bring in another.

They have two redshirts that will play this coming year, one a PG named Devearl Ramsey, an ultra quick 4* out of Sierra Canyon, the LA Valley powerhouse team, and a transfer from Seattle, Zack Moore,who was a double figure scorer there the previous year.

In November, he inked two of Brown's teammates from Prolific Prep, Amadou Sow, who was recruited by us and reportedly turned down Illinois and Wichita State, and Sekou Toure. These two were big time players, and, not to knock Brown, but Sow and Toure have been there for their entire high school careers, played in all the games, and are well qualified academically. Sow could be big time, particularly in the Big West. Sekou is a long 6-6 G who plays outstanding D. Lastly, he has another 6-10 JC kid out of Texas coming in, who played at Modesto Christian (originally from Spain or England, via Africa).

He turned Max Heidegger into a bonafide pro prospect in his soph season. He's also got JaQuori McLaughlin coming in, eligible after the fall quarter, from Oregon State, and a few other players of note, including Christian Terrell who played with the Oakland Soldiers (as did Sow and Toure, and Gabe Vincent previously).

Joe is obviously not well liked by opponents. He wasn't even named COY in the conference despite the Gaucho's historic turnaround. After one game at home, the Prairie View coach looked like he wanted to duke it out with little Joe.

UCSB is having some challenges in their scheduling as the P5's are somewhat leery even when UCSB offers 2 for 1s. You all know what happened to a good Cal team a few years ago when they went to there to play. I heard, not confirmed, that Cal turned down scheduling them again.

Probably more info on the Gauchos than you want to know, but if Joe can do this, and do so quickly at a mid-major, I think his time at UCSB might be 3-4 years and then off to a P5 team. Why wouldn't Cal want him, if we can get over the Jorge kicking incident? He might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think he is a winner and a guy you want on your side.
smokeyrover
He can certainly get players.

Interesting make up of his staff including Louis Reynaud and John Rillie, an Australian who played at Gonzaga followed by a long professional career back home, then assistant for Leon Rice at Boise St.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.