2018 NBA Finals Thread .... Go GSW

calgldnbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Competitive first quarter so far
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm having a hard time with that JR "Finals take out" Klay tackle.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.usatoday.com/2018/05/nba-playoffs-cleveland-cavaliers-jr-smith-dirty-boston-celtics-al-horford-video/amp
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearister said:

I'm having a hard time with that JR "Finals take out" Klay tackle.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.usatoday.com/2018/05/nba-playoffs-cleveland-cavaliers-jr-smith-dirty-boston-celtics-al-horford-video/amp
He is Dellavedova 2.0!
calgldnbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Third Quarter Time !!!!!
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
15 board differential speaks volumes .
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concernedparent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This one is on JR Smith. One of the dumbest players I have ever seen.
going4roses
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
this about sums it up...


wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Reversal of charging foul was strange. Are they gonna look back at ever foul now, or just at critical times? Didn't understand the reason for reversal either. Can some guys with ref experience explain?
GMP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

Reversal of charging foul was strange. Are they gonna look back at ever foul now, or just at critical times? Didn't understand the reason for reversal either. Can some guys with ref experience explain?


They can't simply review all calls. Steve Javie said that, as of a couple years ago, they can go to review on the restricted area and then once they do that they can ALSO review whether the defender was in a legal guarding position. I watch the NBA a good bit and had never heard that before.

Another issue at play here is that the baseline ref called a charge and the ball side wing ref called a block. Normally in those situations they do confer. But again, I've never seen them go reply on it, despite Javie's claim.
gobears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cavs lost their chance to steal one on road... big deflator.... Lebron is bulldozier when he drives with his right hand dribbling.. he just plows away defender... much less so when you forrce him to use his left.... overplay his right hand...

KD's drive /Lebron blocking foul... KD should have dished to Draymon for easy layin... GSW got lucky on that foul reversal...

Currry had a great all around game.. his knee injury now in rear view mirror...

goGSW
goBears

OneKeg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rules surrounding NBA Instant Replays:

http://www.nba.com/official/instant-replay-guidelines.html

Scroll down to number 12. I think they reviewed because it was the last 2 minutes and they were checking if Lebron was in the restricted area. He was not, but then, under the "when conducting their review" section, it says they can check if he was in legal guarding position. I'm guessing they deemed that he jumped in front of Durant after Durant had initiated his "gather" dribble, which is considered part of the shooting motion.

12. Restricted Area Block/Charge Review
Since the 2012-13 season, referees have reviewed all block/charge calls when they are not reasonably certain as to whether the defender was inside or outside of the restricted area. For more information about what constitutes a block or a charge, click here). Restricted area replays are conducted only during the last two minutes of the fourth period and during all of overtime.
When conducting their review, referees attempt to confirm or overturn their original call.
The call is deemed a block if referees deem the defender was:
  • Not in a legal guarding position, or
  • In a legal guarding position, but inside the restricted area
  • The call is deemed a charge if the defender was in a legal guarding position and outside the restricted area.
  • Referees also determine if any unsportsmanlike acts or unnecessary contact occurred.
TrueBlue42
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not a charge. LeBron tries to set his feet initially, then realizes he's still out of position and tries a last second shuffle. His right foot was still off the ground when contact was initiated. Typical LeBron, says "as good a play as I've ever made" lol.

Cavs now have the perfect excuse to get swept. I bet Lebron puts up 50+ in the elimination game as his ode to Cleveland.

HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bizarre ending

I didn't like the play review and ultimate block call. warriors were clearly lucky on that one.

Why does Cleveland stick with JR for so long? I think I've only seen him have one good game vs warriors, and today he had 3 'lowlights'): (1) taking thompson out at the legs ... yeah it was an accident, but why was he charging him that far out? (2) going for the steal at the half, and giving up a Curry 3. not only did he muff the steal but what was that even going to accomplish. Should have just played Curry on the catch (3) last play

with all the crazy things that happened at the end of the game, why is no one talking about TT getting ejected? It didn't look like an intentional elbow. Of course, after he lost his cool with Green, then it's hard to have any sympathy for him. But doesn't it mean he misses game 2???
GMP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TrueBlue42 said:

Not a charge. LeBron tries to set his feet initially, then realizes he's still out of position and tries a last second shuffle. His right foot was still off the ground when contact was initiated. Typical LeBron, says "as good a play as I've ever made" lol.

Cavs now have the perfect excuse to get swept. I bet Lebron puts up 50+ in the elimination game as his ode to Cleveland.


You just don't know the rule. From the NBA:
Quote:

A block/charge foul occurs when a defender tries to get in front of his man to stop him from going in that direction. If he does not get into a legal defensive position and contact occurs, it is a blocking foul. If he gets to a legal position and the offensive player runs into him it is an offensive foul. In both situations, if the contact is marginal, no foul may be called. To get into a legal position defending against the dribble, the defender needs to get his torso directly in the path and beat him to the spot. On a drive to the basket, the defender must get to his position before the shooter starts his upward shooting motion.
The feet do not need to be set. The torso just needs to beat the offensive player to the spot.

http://www.nba.com/nba101/misunderstood_0708.html
ducky23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I understand not going under the screen against harden/Paul, but against lebron?

If lebron scorches you from 3, so be it. Much better than lebron going 1 on 1 against Steph.
TrueBlue42
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GMP said:

TrueBlue42 said:

Not a charge. LeBron tries to set his feet initially, then realizes he's still out of position and tries a last second shuffle. His right foot was still off the ground when contact was initiated. Typical LeBron, says "as good a play as I've ever made" lol.

Cavs now have the perfect excuse to get swept. I bet Lebron puts up 50+ in the elimination game as his ode to Cleveland.


You just don't know the rule. From the NBA:
Quote:

A block/charge foul occurs when a defender tries to get in front of his man to stop him from going in that direction. If he does not get into a legal defensive position and contact occurs, it is a blocking foul. If he gets to a legal position and the offensive player runs into him it is an offensive foul. In both situations, if the contact is marginal, no foul may be called. To get into a legal position defending against the dribble, the defender needs to get his torso directly in the path and beat him to the spot. On a drive to the basket, the defender must get to his position before the shooter starts his upward shooting motion.
The feet do not need to be set. The torso just needs to beat the offensive player to the spot.

http://www.nba.com/nba101/misunderstood_0708.html

Meh. When your 270 lbs your not going to get away with sliding forward leading with your shoulder into the path of the shooter. LeBron was clearly trying to bait that call vs make a play on the ball or get a block.

Its a catch 22, LeBron loves to flop and bait calls, but that reputation costs you in crunch time when the refs tend to let things play out.

That's how I've always thought about the difference between MJ and LeBron. I honestly think LeBron would knowingly flop on a crucial play if a title was on the line. I don't think MJ would make that decision. Maybe I'm being romantic, but LeBron's antics are hard to watch, and diminish the situations where he actually is hurt (like last night when he was clearly poked in the eye).
GMP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TrueBlue42 said:

GMP said:

TrueBlue42 said:

Not a charge. LeBron tries to set his feet initially, then realizes he's still out of position and tries a last second shuffle. His right foot was still off the ground when contact was initiated. Typical LeBron, says "as good a play as I've ever made" lol.

Cavs now have the perfect excuse to get swept. I bet Lebron puts up 50+ in the elimination game as his ode to Cleveland.


You just don't know the rule. From the NBA:
Quote:

A block/charge foul occurs when a defender tries to get in front of his man to stop him from going in that direction. If he does not get into a legal defensive position and contact occurs, it is a blocking foul. If he gets to a legal position and the offensive player runs into him it is an offensive foul. In both situations, if the contact is marginal, no foul may be called. To get into a legal position defending against the dribble, the defender needs to get his torso directly in the path and beat him to the spot. On a drive to the basket, the defender must get to his position before the shooter starts his upward shooting motion.
The feet do not need to be set. The torso just needs to beat the offensive player to the spot.

http://www.nba.com/nba101/misunderstood_0708.html

Meh. When your 270 lbs your not going to get away with sliding forward leading with your shoulder into the path of the shooter. LeBron was clearly trying to bait that call vs make a play on the ball or get a block.

Its a catch 22, LeBron loves to flop and bait calls, but that reputation costs you in crunch time when the refs tend to let things play out.

That's how I've always thought about the difference between MJ and LeBron. I honestly think LeBron would knowingly flop on a crucial play if a title was on the line. I don't think MJ would make that decision. Maybe I'm being romantic, but LeBron's antics are hard to watch, and diminish the situations where he actually is hurt (like last night when he was clearly poked in the eye).

I wasn't arguing the call. It was certainly a close call. I was arguing your misunderstanding of the rule, which led you to incorrectly believe it wasn't a close call.

Your comments on LeBron are another story, and you are going to continue to find yourself in an increasingly small minority on that one.
GMP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ducky23 said:

I understand not going under the screen against harden/Paul, but against lebron?

If lebron scorches you from 3, so be it. Much better than lebron going 1 on 1 against Steph.
I had the same thought last night - why are they switching?
OaktownBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

Reversal of charging foul was strange. Are they gonna look back at ever foul now, or just at critical times? Didn't understand the reason for reversal either. Can some guys with ref experience explain?


My understanding is it wasn't a reversal. They didn't actually make a call on the floor. It was originally thought a charge on television because the official in the frame started to make that call, but the other official started to call blocking and they looked at each other and said "uh oh".
boredom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Reversal of charging foul was strange. Are they gonna look back at ever foul now, or just at critical times? Didn't understand the reason for reversal either. Can some guys with ref experience explain?


My understanding is it wasn't a reversal. They didn't actually make a call on the floor. It was originally thought a charge on television because the official in the frame started to make that call, but the other official started to call blocking and they looked at each other and said "uh oh".
It had to be called something on the floor otherwise there's nothing to review. In order to review using the rule in question the call has to be made as either "it's a charge but we're not sure if the defender was too deep" or "it's a block only because we thought that the defender was too deep and we want to check". If they called a block on the floor because Lebron was not in legal guarding position then there is nothing to replay. If they didn't call a foul then there is nothing to replay.
LOUMFSG2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
boredom said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Reversal of charging foul was strange. Are they gonna look back at ever foul now, or just at critical times? Didn't understand the reason for reversal either. Can some guys with ref experience explain?


My understanding is it wasn't a reversal. They didn't actually make a call on the floor. It was originally thought a charge on television because the official in the frame started to make that call, but the other official started to call blocking and they looked at each other and said "uh oh".
It had to be called something on the floor otherwise there's nothing to review. In order to review using the rule in question the call has to be made as either "it's a charge but we're not sure if the defender was too deep" or "it's a block only because we thought that the defender was too deep and we want to check". If they called a block on the floor because Lebron was not in legal guarding position then there is nothing to replay. If they didn't call a foul then there is nothing to replay.
That is what I thought as well, but I was watching someone in the postgame analysis (I don't remember who, I was flipping around a little) suggest that the two officials had conflicting calls, and they went to review to decide which way to go. I don't know whether they actually made a call on the floor before the review or not.
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now Smith says he knew the game was tied. Hilarious.
Up with the Blue and Gold. Down with the Red!
ducky23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LOUMFSG2 said:

boredom said:

OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Reversal of charging foul was strange. Are they gonna look back at ever foul now, or just at critical times? Didn't understand the reason for reversal either. Can some guys with ref experience explain?


My understanding is it wasn't a reversal. They didn't actually make a call on the floor. It was originally thought a charge on television because the official in the frame started to make that call, but the other official started to call blocking and they looked at each other and said "uh oh".
It had to be called something on the floor otherwise there's nothing to review. In order to review using the rule in question the call has to be made as either "it's a charge but we're not sure if the defender was too deep" or "it's a block only because we thought that the defender was too deep and we want to check". If they called a block on the floor because Lebron was not in legal guarding position then there is nothing to replay. If they didn't call a foul then there is nothing to replay.
That is what I thought as well, but I was watching someone in the postgame analysis (I don't remember who, I was flipping around a little) suggest that the two officials had conflicting calls, and they went to review to decide which way to go. I don't know whether they actually made a call on the floor before the review or not.


What probably happened is that the refs were unsure about the call so they used this rule as a pretext to review the play and make the correct call.

Now you can argue that under the strict reading of the rule, the refs probably got it wrong since it's likely that there wasn't doubt as to whether lebron was actually in the restricted area. Thus there shouldn't have been an initia trigger to review the play

However the spirit or intent of the rule is that it's important to get charge/block rules correct under two mins or else why allow a stipulation in the rule that you can change the call when reviewing to see if the defender was in the restricted area.

Which means Cavs fans are Scalia and dubs fans are RBG. Which I'm completely good with.
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That call was also reviewed at referee headquarters, I think New York. It wasn't"t just the local refs deciding this.
Up with the Blue and Gold. Down with the Red!
joe amos yaks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is the official ruling for the TT ejection (elbow or not) near the end . . . ejection / technical / carryover to game #2?

And what about DG and KT?
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One baseline official in replay background makes "charge" gesture but looks at other before finalizing the call.
In other replay view, we see the guy he looks at, who initially makes "block" gesture, but he looks at the baseline ref.
For a split second, they are both in a holding pattern wondering who is going to win out. The baseline official instantly decides to just finish the call while the top official allows him to.

I don't have a problem with them deciding, "you know what, it's a big moment in the game, let's use the rule to look at it and decide."

Brian Windhorst, the espn reporter who follows Cleveland, was on First Take after Stephen A and Mike Greenberg on Get Up only want to complain, and he minced few words, "but you know what? They got the call right."

End of story for me! I heard the espn announcer explain that the refs contradicted each other. I saw just that on replay. And live, I saw it as a charge, but they explained that the NBA rule is very different from college, and so I'll rely on the replay judgment, and the hometown reporter, who just grew in honesty stature with me.
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thx for that. It clarified an important point. That there was a call and it was a charge

But if so, then the final call is even worse. It was not clearly a block, so call on the court should stand (assuming a call can only be reversed using a higher standard to overturn)

Bottom line is it was a bad call and Cavs should have won



concordtom said:

One baseline official in replay background makes "charge" gesture but looks at other before finalizing the call.
In other replay view, we see the guy he looks at, who initially makes "block" gesture, but he looks at the baseline ref.
For a split second, they are both in a holding pattern wondering who is going to win out. The baseline official instantly decides to just finish the call while the top official allows him to.

I don't have a problem with them deciding, "you know what, it's a big moment in the game, let's use the rule to look at it and decide."

Brian Windhorst, the espn reporter who follows Cleveland, was on First Take after Stephen A and Mike Greenberg on Get Up only want to complain, and he minced few words, "but you know what? They got the call right."

End of story for me! I heard the espn announcer explain that the refs contradicted each other. I saw just that on replay. And live, I saw it as a charge, but they explained that the NBA rule is very different from college, and so I'll rely on the replay judgment, and the hometown reporter, who just grew in honesty stature with me.
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NBA reviewed call and said it was correct
Who knows what a block/charge is in that situation
gobears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cavs know they should have won game 1... similar to Raptors vs Cavs this year.... and gave game away....

Sure, with Lebron, never say never.... (2016 down 3 games to 1) ...but my thoughts now, is: book em Dano.

then again, I had similar thoughts after game 1 vs Rockets.


goGSW
goBears
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Durant will have a better game tomorrow.
Up with the Blue and Gold. Down with the Red!
85Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oskidunker said:

Durant will have a better game tomorrow.
Hopefully on Sunday too.
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Both days
Up with the Blue and Gold. Down with the Red!
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oskidunker said:

Durant will have a better game tomorrow.


Durant playing too much one-on-one
hanky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bron is awesome. Greatest of all time. He's not some skinny poin guard who does nothing but shoots 3s all day.
Page 1 of 5
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.