2018 NBA Finals Thread .... Go GSW

17,472 Views | 147 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFCityBear
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

bearister said:

Let's put it this way OneKeg, you have to pull a muscle to come up with the name of a pro franchise owner that has ever done a solid for a fan or a taxpayer, and who can't hear a nickel fall out of their pocket behind them in the mud.

Giants owners did not rely on public funding for the new downtown ballpark.
There, no muscles pulled.
Here's a reason to like Lacob, pulled right from your linked article.

"In 2019, the Warriors will move to a new, self-financed arena complex on the San Francisco waterfront that will include office buildings and commercial space. The move is estimated to add as much as $1 billion more to the club's value."

See, how could anyone be a Raiders fan?
Al Davis, who lies mere feet from my grandparents (which pisses me off) jilted Oakland, after jolting others, like Irwindale. Davis ruined the feel of the Coliseum by building the outfield stands. And he setup an impossible financial arrangement for Oakland. I hate him.

Lacob keeps them local, just across the pond. No big deal. The Bay Area is OUR city. We don't need to be so provincial, and Oakland doesn't need to feel like SF's little sister.
My roots are in Oakland for 100 years, Bear. 4 generations of men on my male line who have all lived in Oakland, and worked in San Francisco.
gobears
Great all around game 2 (i know at home).

a. Much better D on Lebron that did not have all those tomahawk slams
b. Much better keeps on Lebron not making the switch so easy (why switch when Lebron is 30 feet out?)
c. Curry, another great all around game... (finals record of 9 3's help) On pace to get this year's finals MVP to add to his resume.
d. role players with minimal PT the last few series, kept ready like the pros they are and delivered well when each of their names were called. West and Javele.
e. Only worry was Cavs were down 0 - 2 to Celts and came back to tie series.
f. No Kyrie is a big deal... Lebron needs Robin to help take big shots..

all the pressure is on Cavs to hold home court... lose either game and it is lights out....

goGSW
goBears
concordtom
Will be fun if Curry makes MVP, but don't count out Durant OR Lebron.
If Lebron continues to play near triple double with 40 points, I'd give it to him, if only for the appreciation that he even GOT here again. It's odd how all the media seems to want to give it to Curry even before the series started.

concordtom
No Kyrie IS a big deal, you are correct.
bearister
concordtom said:

If Lebron continues to play near triple double with 40 points, I'd give it to him, if only for the appreciation that he even GOT here again. It's odd how all the media seems to want to give it to Curry even before the series started.

"The Bill Russell NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award is an annual National Basketball ... Jerry West, the first ever awardee, is the only person to win the award while being on the losing team in the NBA Finals." Wikipedia
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
helltopay1
Cleveland has a 99% chance of winning game three for all the obvious reasons. the question is who wins game four.
concordtom
bearister said:

I'm having a hard time with that JR "Finals take out" Klay tackle.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.usatoday.com/2018/05/nba-playoffs-cleveland-cavaliers-jr-smith-dirty-boston-celtics-al-horford-video/amp
Good connection, Bear.
I actually thought it was subtly intentional, and considering his horrific play on Horford, I now see the stumble vs Klay moreso that way.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him out of the NBA as soon as this contract ends.
Hopefully he doesn't take anyone with him.
It's been a terrible postseason for him!
concordtom
bearister said:

concordtom said:

"The Bill Russell NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award is an annual National Basketball ... Jerry West, the first ever awardee, is the only person to win the award while being on the losing team in the NBA Finals." Wikipedia
i know. There are candidates on the Warriors, but it's hard to pick between them, while it's a nice honor for Lebron.

Perhaps a more interesting question is whether the W's will sweep, or lose a game in Cleveland so that they can earn another home game. I think last year we were saying it was worth $20M for Lacob?
gobears
Lebron win MVP even if Cavs lose? sure, there is chance of that...

Much better D game plan against Lebron in game 2 (vs game 1). Lebron had 5 TO's

but Cavs have to win 2 or 3 games to get that outcome.. 35/10/10 average for series is well within Lebron's skills.....

but if he does that and they lose in 4 or 5 games, nope..

GSW trying to get one in Cleveland and then finish up in game 5. (like last year)

goGSW
goBears

bearister
concordtom said:

... I think last year we were saying it was worth $20M for Lacob?

Gee, let me venture a guess.
concordtom
Chuckle.
Exactly. Take the extra money as an offset to luxury tax.
Yet, playing with Fire like 2 yrs ago, 3-1 lead, lost in Oakland with draymond gone and it all fell apart.
JR could take out two of 'em by himself.
helltopay1
If I had money to burn and didn't mind losing a chunk of that money, I would bet a ton of money on Cleveland to win the series. Think!!!!If cleveland loses they series, you have lost money that you didn't care about. but, if Cleveland wins the series after being down 2-0, you could make a fortune.
bearister
helltopay1 said:

If I had money to burn and didn't mind losing a chunk of that money, I would bet a ton of money on Cleveland to win the series. Think!!!!If cleveland loses they series, you have lost money that you didn't care about. but, if Cleveland wins the series after being down 2-0, you could make a fortune.

If the Warriors lose the series at this point I won't be bitter when they leave Oakland. I will also be ok if Lacob renames them the San Francisco Warriors and replaces The Town jerseys with The City jerseys.
Yogi58
hanky1 said:

Bron is awesome. Greatest of all time. He's not some skinny poin guard who does nothing but shoots 3s all day.
What a stupid comment
Yogi58
concordtom said:

ducky23 said:

After watching the Cavs try to play defense tonight, I'm fairly confident that the only way to beat the dubs is to construct a team that can put five players on the court who can all defend positions 1-5.

I don't think Houston's really that good. I think the Cavs probably beat them. But they are the best constructed team (right now) who can challenge the dubs cause they have 4 really good defenders (and harden...who will defend sometimes) who can all switch every on ball and off ball screen. That's literally the only way to beat the dubs. The Cavs just have way too many liabilities on defense.

If Houston adds lebron (lebron could replace capela to form the ultimate small ball defensive team) I can't see the dubs beating them unless the dubs add some serious bench pieces.
Yes, the recent NBA developments have really put a kink in the construction of any All-Time imaginary best team. There is no room for a Bill Walton, Kareem, Bill Russell, or even Wilt Chamberlain under such a scenario. Maybe Olajuwon could hit the 3. Maybe.
All of those guys would be the focus of their team in any era, including the current one. There just doesn't happen to be any current centers that are on that level at present.
concordtom
I don't think Russell was even the focal point of his championship Celtic teams, was he? At least not in the offensive set.

In my fantasy world, I'd beat Kareem by defending him with someone like Dirk, pull him away from the paint. Laurie Markinaan has height to battle inside (give him 5 yrs to gain weight and experience) but, again, can draw Kareem away from the paint on the other end.

Kareem was a 56% FG shooter.
My guy would need to shoot .37.7% to be equal in points scored. That's doable. Dirk is a creer 38.3% from deep and shoot over 40% last year at age 39.

And having the floor spread would open things up for guards to drive. Increasing their %'s too.
I think that's the whole point.
bearister
My anti Lacob Super Team:
Klay-Lebron-Kawhi
concordtom
bearister said:

My anti Lacob Super Team:
Klay-Lebron-Kawhi
I don't get it.
Klay already IS on a Lacob team.

Who are you trying to defeat? I was talking about the all-timer centers who played a different style.
bearister
Draymond gives Bogut love.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8ow6q3/draymond_bogut_showed_me_how_to_guard_the_posti/?st=JI2MHCCD&sh=e9817ad8
gobears
I always like Bogut's D and his ability to hold down the paint... Wide body... not backing down from anyone..
I know, liability at end of games as his FT % not good... add his history of injuries... but when healthy... would take him over most other Bigs at time in the league..

as far as why Steph has shot out of gate 1st 2 games with MVP type numbers.... no Iman, no Delly this year...
easier to get space..... and get into his groove..

goGSW
goBears
GMP
gobears said:

I always like Bogut's D and his ability to hold down the paint... Wide body... not backing down from anyone..
I know, liability at end of games as his FT % not good... add his history of injuries... but when healthy... would take him over most other Bigs at time in the league..

as far as why Steph has shot out of gate 1st 2 games with MVP type numbers.... no Iman, no Delly this year...

goGSW
goBears

I think there are often media narratives that take over and are hard to shake in the short time before a series is up.

In 2015, after a rough couple games, Curry finished strong and for the series averaged 26 points, 5.2 rebounds, 6.3 assists, 1.8 steals, and shot .443/.385/.885 (for the final four games, he averaged 27.8/5.3/6.3/2.3 and shot .494/.477/.857).

Last year, in the first two games he averaged 30 points, 8 rebounds, 10.5 assists, 2 steals and shot .462/.445/1.000.

helltopay1
game 3 tonight: cleveland by 10 or so. motivation, motivation, motivation. home court, home court, home court. game 4 will be the key game.
oskidunker
My friend is there ion the main floor for $499.00. Bet it would be double here
Go Bears!
bearister
Warriors -4
gobears
GMP said:

gobears said:

goGSW
goBears

I think there are often media narratives that take over and are hard to shake in the short time before a series is up.

In 2015, after a rough couple games, Curry finished strong and for the series averaged 26 points, 5.2 rebounds, 6.3 assists, 1.8 steals, and shot .443/.385/.885 (for the final four games, he averaged 27.8/5.3/6.3/2.3 and shot .494/.477/.857).

Last year, in the first two games he averaged 30 points, 8 rebounds, 10.5 assists, 2 steals and shot .462/.445/1.000.

Curry is able to adjust to tight D as he did against Delly in "round 1" after a few games... but the D that is in your space as Delly played, it took Curry time to adjust.. "round 2" Curry's knee made it hard for him to turn the corner on anyone... and was hard for him to shake anyone...

Round 3, Iman played good D on Curry, but again, he figures out a way... for round 3, Curry was in running for MVP consideration.... as he almost averaged a triple double for the finals/round 3.

Round 4? Right from the 1st quarter, Curry was making plays... (great all around game 1)
Let's see if Curry continues his play and help get GSW a W.

goGSW
GoBears
oskidunker
not tonight.Warriors not looking good so far. stay within 10 by half and maybe
Go Bears!
bearister
oskidunker said:

Lacob told them to tank so he can pick up a few extra million.
bearister
Lebron shoe size : 15
Kevin Love shoe size: 19*

*I would be considered a foot fetishist if I listed Uma Thurman's shoe size
hanky1
bearister said:

bearister
hanky1 said:

bearister said:

OneKeg
Big start to the 3rd quarter by the Warriors (edited to add 3rd quarter, not 3rd game). It's anyone's ballgame right now.
bearister
bearister said:

oskidunker said:

Lacob told them to tank so he can pick up a few extra million.

You can't have all three tank. Curry/Thompson 2-14 from trey has odor to it. Lacob can pay Curry's salary for the year with the money he makes from a Warrior loss.*

*I got this theory from a Sean Hannity sports segment.
HoopDreams
bang!
gobears
book em Dano
HoopDreams
is this a foul on lebron or curry?

https://instagr.am/p/BjtNkWUh4Ui

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.