Are we gonna get that rumored grad transfer?

38,480 Views | 208 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by concordtom
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who is "he"?
MoragaBear
Staff
socaliganbear said:

I wonder if he's talked to other programs, and if those others coaching staffs also think they have the same shot at landing him. . .
According to him, he hasn't. He said it's stay put or Cal. And he'd be a far better addition than any grad transfer Cal's had before.
Yogi58
oskidunker said:

Coleman may transfer back after he graduates
Boo this man
Yogi58
MoragaBear said:

socaliganbear said:

I wonder if he's talked to other programs, and if those others coaching staffs also think they have the same shot at landing him. . .
According to him, he hasn't. He said it's stay put or Cal. And he'd be a far better addition than any grad transfer Cal's had before.
Too bad Mother's Day has come and gone. I hear D.J. Williams is unhappy in Miami.
concordtom
So, it's REAL!
Not just a myth.
Thank you. I will continue to hold my breath. I almost blinked and exhaled.

(When this is all over, maybe you can let us know who it was, like in a year or so in the event he doesn't come...)
GMP
MoragaBear said:

socaliganbear said:

If I sign up for Premium, am I going to be able to find out the player's name?
joe amos yaks
No.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
wifeisafurd
stu said:

. If he does come we'll know soon enough.

You really think so?
KoreAmBear
oskidunker said:

Coleman may transfer back after he graduates
LOL. Hero Ball Part Deux, the Sequel.
stu
wifeisafurd said:

stu said:

. If he does come we'll know soon enough.

You really think so?
Right now I have no idea if he's coming or not. I'll know by the first game, which is soon enough for me.
MoragaBear
Staff
Yogi Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

socaliganbear said:

Too bad Mother's Day has come and gone. I hear D.J. Williams is unhappy in Miami.
Yup, it's all just one big deluded scam, designed to give frustrated Cal fans another club to bludgeon the staff with when they ultimately don't get a guy Cal fans have been set up to hope for that there never was a realistic chance of getting.

That makes a lot more sense than this being legit info...
joe amos yaks
When or if this occurs, for now Mr X plays wearing a mask, generic sweats, and an unmarked uniform.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
mikecohen
MoragaBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

socaliganbear said:

Yup, it's all just one big deluded scam, designed to give frustrated Cal fans another club to bludgeon the staff with when they ultimately don't get a guy Cal fans have been set up to hope for that there never was a realistic chance of getting.

Don't lose heart, M.B. You knew we were a snake when you picked us up.
oski003
It's LeBron.
Alkiadt
MoragaBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

socaliganbear said:

Lol. Great response to the broken record.
Yogi58
Alkiadt said:

MoragaBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

socaliganbear said:

Lol. Great response to the broken record.
We'll check back in around September and see if there are any unexpected roster additions of value.
MoragaBear
Staff
Because we all know if they don't get him, the information was bogus and him having a hard time bailing on his coach and teammates that have been on him hard to stay is all a story he or the Cal staff made up, too.

Same with every other recruit Cal's supposedly in the mix with that doesn't come. It's all either a pipe dream or a lie.
Yogi58
MoragaBear said:

Because we all know if they don't get him, the information was bogus and him having a hard time bailing on his coach and teammates that have been on him hard to stay is all a story he or the Cal staff made up, too.

Same with every other recruit Cal's supposedly in the mix with that doesn't come. It's all either a pipe dream or a lie.
So there's a guy out there who will either stay where he is or he would grad transfer to Cal.....for what exactly? For the privilege of playing with a bottom half of the conference team? For the privilege of Wyking's special coaching ability? To spend one year in a grad program for a degree he probably doesn't ever intend to finish? For a relationship with a current player or assistant that would supersede the relationships he has with his current coaches and teammates?

I'm sorry that it bothers you so much that I'm not buying it, but that's your problem, not mine.
MoragaBear
Staff
He's a very strong student and Cal's a far better academic school. He also has a strong connection with one of the coaches and likes the idea of playing in a higher profile conference.

He was closer to making the move earlier but he's still expressed willingness to consider the move.

Odds are probably higher that he stays but Cal's still in the running.

I have no issues with you thinking Cal won't get him, just the opinion that this whole possibility was some foolish nonsense.
BearGoggles
Yogi Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

So there's a guy out there who will either stay where he is or he would grad transfer to Cal.....for what exactly? For the privilege of playing with a bottom half of the conference team? For the privilege of Wyking's special coaching ability? To spend one year in a grad program for a degree he probably doesn't ever intend to finish? For a relationship with a current player or assistant that would supersede the relationships he has with his current coaches and teammates?

I'm sorry that it bothers you so much that I'm not buying it, but that's your problem, not mine.
I can think of reasons, such as maybe he doesn't like his current coach or roster. Or maybe he wants to play in a bigger/more prominent conference with coaches he is comfortable with from prior relationships? Or maybe he thinks practicing and playing against better players will help him develop? Or maybe he likes the Bay Area and wants to try something new? Or maybe a family member lives near Cal.

Players do things for a variety of reasons - like Jaylen Brown coming to Cal which made no sense from a basketball point of view. Tarwater gave up an ivy league graduate degree to come to Cal which a lot of people would question from both an academic and athletic perspective. Gary Franklin left Cal (where he started 11 of 13 games as a true freshman) to ride the bench at Baylor - and that was under the relative success of Monty.

I have no personal knowledge (and really no guess) as to who the potential transfer is and ultimately I have my doubts that he will come (as I did with Jordan Brown). But at this point, it seems clear that the potential transfer did in fact apply to grad school at Cal - if he hadn't the speculation would have ended log ago.

Bottom line, neither of us know what the potential transfer is thinking. So your choice to take the most negative spin (as you pretty much always do) and to state it in the most strident and condescending matter is a reflection on you. But that's your problem, not mine.

TheSouseFamily
"For what exactly?"

Perhaps you haven't noticed that it's been a significant trend for mid-major players to grad transfer to P6 schools to elevate their profile, be on TV more often, play at a higher level of competition and increase their shot at playing at the next level. There are 29 (and counting) such grad transfers already this off-season who are making the jump from a mid-major conference to a P6 conference. These guys all had previous teammates and coaches too, believe it or not; and many are going to teams that didn't have great seasons last year, maybe because those are the kinds of teams where they can make a bigger impact. Plus, this guy is a legit pro prospect. You seriously can't fathom why someone like that might want to prove himself in a power conference?

If you want to question why a player would come to Cal after the season we just had, that's fine. But at least be fair-minded enough to acknowledge that the staff is recruiting quality players and that people like Walker are leveraging a lot of connnections to generate interest from guys like this one, Bassey and the TX players, etc. Sounds like you have a preferred narrative you'd like to stick to, however.
concordtom
mikecohen said:

MoragaBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

socaliganbear said:

Don't lose heart, M.B. You knew we were a snake when you picked us up.
Nominated for BIski. Mike Cohen's all time best.
CAL6371
YogiBear is a phenomenon - he knows all secrets. He knew the moment Reagan was shot the motive was to impress Jodie Foster.
bearybear
So if I research the big men that played in Coach Walker's AAU teams and find the ones that finished their junior year in a mid-major program, playing either the 4 or 5, that are all conference selections - I'll find our mystery potential grad transfer?
ColoradoBear
So is it a situation where if he gets in to grad school, he's definitely coming (But the admission process is slow)? And if not, he wants it on the DL so he can return to his current team w/o anyone's knowing?

What grad program did he apply to, and is he actually planning on finishing his degree?
MoragaBear
Staff
No, admission's not a problem. It's all about whether to stay or go to Cal.But if his program knows it's a strong consideration,with his situation, it makes leaving that much less likely.

If only Cal players agonized so much about leaving...
wifeisafurd
MoragaBear said:

No, admission's not a problem. It's all about whether to stay or go to Cal.But if his program knows it's a strong consideration,with his situation, it makes leaving that much less likely.

If only Cal players agonized so much about leaving...
MB, I think some of the joking is you have potential transfers in both the women and men's program and other opportunities, and nothing seems to be happening after a lot of build-up. It is the wait, and the desire for both programs to rebound from recent underachieving seasons. Sorta the houndog perspective - we are Cal fans and nice things can't happen, or can they?
MoragaBear
Staff
The women's transfer is in the works. The men's potential transfer was never described as imminent.

Don't know why everyone on the women's board is so up in arms about a grad transfer taking a while. That's the way it works with grad transfers, especially at Cal.
Big C
bearybear said:

So if I research the big men that played in Coach Walker's AAU teams and find the ones that finished their junior year in a mid-major program, playing either the 4 or 5, that are all conference selections - I'll find our mystery potential grad transfer?
Almost, but not so fast: The new Assistant, Grace, has connections all over.
BearGoggles
Big C said:

bearybear said:

But, unless I'm mistaken, the grad transfer rumors started before Grace was hired. No?
Big C
BearGoggles said:

Big C said:

bearybear said:

But, unless I'm mistaken, the grad transfer rumors started before Grace was hired. No?
You are quite possibly right. But remember, there was talk of "a grad transfer" before there was talk of "The Grad Transfer": Maybe somebody pieces together the timeline and discovers that talk about "TGT" surfaces VERY SHORTLY AFTER Grace's hire, eh?!?

Or maybe not. We will all find out in a matter of days*, when the identity of "TGT" -- coming here or not -- is revealed on the Insider board. If you haven't yet sprung for "premium", folks, this is the time!

* "days" could be 10, 20, 45, who knows?
helltopay1
OK---I know who it is.
superbear99
Mr. Hell,

What is your independent assessment of getting Mr. Grad Transfer?
helltopay1
Dear Super: i have no inside knowledge. i barely have outside knowledge.
KoreAmBear
Grad transfer or bust. Whoo hoo!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.