Are we gonna get that rumored grad transfer?

wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
helltopay1 said:

My bad. Is that a sentence?
He did use "It's" properly. That puts him far ahead of me on the grammar scale (just ask NY).
UrsaMajor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

helltopay1 said:

My bad. Is that a sentence?
He did use "It's" properly. That puts him far ahead of me on the grammar scale (just ask NY).
on the other hand, the way the sentence is structured, it means that if he is the one HTP referred to, he didn't go to hs in SF, but if he's NOT the one referred to, presumably he did go to hs in SF.
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was referring to the common usage 'my bad" I shouldn't have posted the question. my bad. i always get a kick out of folks who use the word whom. To quote Chief Gillespie, " whom---whom----where did they teach you to use language like that boy"??"You some northern boy or something"??
mikecohen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
helltopay1 said:

My bad. Is that a sentence?
It is (a sentence), although the sentiment is mis-placed.
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In less than a week, it'll be July: Can you believe it?!?

Still hopin' we land that grad transfer!
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
helltopay1 said:

I do remember Robin Freeman of Ohio State. God never sculpted a more pure shooter. I refuse to apologize if I've 'offended" any atheists or agnostics on this site. As Judge Jeannine is fond of saying, " put on your big boy pants and deal with such a harsh, unforgiving world. I will, however, weep with you as I seem to have an overabundance of tissues. Robin came to play against Cal on both Friday and Saturday nights. he scored 23 in the first game on seven field goals and nine free throws. Thge following night, he poured in 34 points. Remember, in those halcyon days there was njo shot-clock and no three point shot. Robin had at least two of his fingers sliced off in a bizarre accident and that was the end of his pure jump-shooting. I don't believe Robin was taller than 5'10.
Helltopay1 You are in good company with your description of Robin Freeman's shooting. Hall of Famer Jack Twyman said that "Freeman is the finest pure shooter I have ever seen, high school, college, pro, or whatever.

I wish I had seen those Cal-Ohio State games. That was Newell's first season at Cal. Cal usually started Mike Diaz and Frank Hess (of Lowell High) at guards. I wonder which one guarded Freeman? Maybe the whole Cal team tried to guard him, and failed. Cal did win both games, according to the records. OSU was ranked #11 and Cal won 74-62, and 54-50 the following night. Note how the Cal defense got better the second time Cal played a team. That is what usually happened under Newell. If Freeman scored 34 in that second game, he was nearly all of the OSU offense, as they scored only 50 points. Freeman played only 13 games that season, and missed the rest due to health reasons, but he still played so well that he was named a Consensus All-American.

The next year, 1956, Freeman, at 5-11, played a full season, scoring 33 points a game. He lost the scoring title to Darrell Floyd of Furman, who averaged 34 points a game, but Freeman was named 1st team Consensus All-American, while Floyd was named to the 2nd team.

Freeman went to high school in Cincinnati, where he was credited with being the first player to introduce the jump shot to Cincinnati high school basketball. He was also the first player to use a jump shot at Ohio State. In his senior year in high school, he averaged 39.5 points per game, and set the National high school scoring record.

In 1956, he was drafted by the Hawks, but that summer, as you said, he cut off the tips of two fingers while chopping wood, and never played in the NBA.

Here is some more on Freeman: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/high-school/ohio-high-school/2014/09/26/former-ohio-state-and-hughes-standout-robin-freeman-dead-at-age-80/16271961/






helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm wondering if Nibs Price coached the year Freeman played against Cal. I know Hess was a sophomore that year. After that year, hess never played first string again. Did Newell arrive for 53-54 or 54-55?????hess was a sophomore in 53-54.
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
helltopay1 said:

I'm wondering if Nibs Price coached the year Freeman played against Cal. I know Hess was a sophomore that year. After that year, hess never played first string again. Did Newell arrive for 53-54 or 54-55?????hess was a sophomore in 53-54.
I don't remember Frank Hess all that well. The Cal record book shows that Nibs Price's final year at Cal was 1953-54, and that Pete Newell arrived to coach Cal in the 1954-55 season. Hess started for Newell in 1954-55 and averaged 4 points per game. The Cal record book also shows that Hess lettered in basketball at Cal in '54, '55, and '56. The website Sports-Reference.com shows that Frank Hess played three seasons at Cal, played in 24 games as a soph, averaging 6 points, 23 games as a junior, averaging 4 points, and 16 games as a senior, averaging 1 point. In the 1955-56 season, Newell replaced both Hess and Mike Diaz in the starting lineup with Earl Robinson and Gabe Arillaga. Here is the link to Frank Hess's record page:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/frank-hess-1.html

Here is the link to the Cal record book for basketball records prior to 2004:

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/calberk.sidearmsports.com/documents/2016/6/28/MBB_101148_102103.pdf?id=2872












wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

In less than a week, it'll be July: Can you believe it?!?

Still hopin' we land that grad transfer!
Does the transfer lose eligibility once he is on Medicare? With Cal you have to think of all the contingencies.
joe amos yaks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Coach Clarence "Nibs" Price was head coach of both football and basketball from 1926-30* then focused on basketball winning 6 PCC championships with a record of 449-294.

Then there is the mysterious matter of straight on wood grilled hamburgers (a "Nibs Burger") and fantastic pies at Nibs' Grill (1949-1968; sold and finally closing in 2013).
UrsaMajor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
joe amos yaks said:

Coach Clarence "Nibs" Price was head coach of both football and basketball from 1026-30, then focused on basketball winning 6 PCC championships with a record of 449-294.

Then there is the mysterious matter of straight on wood grilled hamburgers (a "Nibs Burger") and fantastic pies at Nibs' Grill (1949-1968; sold and finally closing in 2013).
Did he know William the Conquerer?
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

Big C said:

In less than a week, it'll be July: Can you believe it?!?

Still hopin' we land that grad transfer!
Does the transfer lose eligibility once he is on Medicare? With Cal you have to think of all the contingencies.
I don't think he loses eligibility even if he is on Medicare.

I can't speak for Helltopay1, but my own eligibility ran out with my graduation. I bemoan this fact in most years, especially last year, when the Bear perimeter shooters could not be counted on to even hit the backboard, let alone the rim. All I ever did well on the court was shoot the lights out, and so I winced with each Golden Bear three point attempt last season. I pray for some better shooting for Cal this season. It won't solve all their problems, but it would be a start.
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCityBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Big C said:

In less than a week, it'll be July: Can you believe it?!?

Still hopin' we land that grad transfer!
Does the transfer lose eligibility once he is on Medicare? With Cal you have to think of all the contingencies.
I don't think he loses eligibility even if he is on Medicare.

I can't speak for Helltopay1, but I'm on Medicare, and ineligible, for another reason. My own eligibility ran out with my graduation. I bemoan this fact in most years, especially last year, when the Bear perimeter shooters could not be counted on to even hit the backboard, let alone the rim. All I ever did well on the court was shoot the lights out, and so I winced with each Golden Bear three point attempt last season. I pray for some better shooting for Cal this season. It won't solve all their problems, but it would be a start.
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another bungled post. Sorry. I need to retire. Or at least take a vacation.
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SF: hess was a senior at Lowell when I was a frosh at SI. ( I transferred to Lowell thge following year) Hess could drive and shoot. poor Frank had marital problems from which he never recovered. He committed suicide at age 32. He left two kids behind.
joe amos yaks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes. Called him Bill.
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dear Yaks: Please explain your "bill" post.
joe amos yaks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
. . . Wm The Conqueror. . . Bill the "Spurious". . . aka Duke of Normandy. . . aka King of England.
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nowadays, especially if he was a Millennial-or-younger, he'd go by Liam.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Willow for a girl, or a softy.
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
helltopay1 said:

SF: hess was a senior at Lowell when I was a frosh at SI. ( I transferred to Lowell thge following year) Hess could drive and shoot. poor Frank had marital problems from which he never recovered. He committed suicide at age 32. He left two kids behind.
Boy, that is really tragic. Life is short enough without taking that road.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, I guess today's news kills off this thread.
We got "a" grad transfer, not "that" grad transfer.
But beggars can't be choosers, and I am thankful for a season with the Norwegian Collegian.
mikecohen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

Well, I guess today's news kills off this thread.
We got "a" grad transfer, not "that" grad transfer.
But beggars can't be choosers, and I am thankful for a season with the Norwegian Collegian.
I think the mods have a duty to state unequivocally that the hoped-for grad transfer will definitely not be coming.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why? Did they ever say he was?
Hmmm, maybe there were some stats mentioned, alluding to.
The person in question wanted to remain anonymous, as I understand it.
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mikecohen said:

concordtom said:

Well, I guess today's news kills off this thread.
We got "a" grad transfer, not "that" grad transfer.
But beggars can't be choosers, and I am thankful for a season with the Norwegian Collegian.
I think the mods have a duty to state unequivocally that the hoped-for grad transfer will definitely not be coming.
Winning isn’t everything It’s the only thing
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dear Mr. Cohen: The Mods do not have a duty to do what you want them to do. living in a state of anxiety and uncertainty is maddening but it is the human condition. The songwriter knew this and is why he wrote a song titled " It is what it is." There are complications of which you are not aware. Please see the above. The reality, of course, is that we swung for the fences and hit a dribbler two feet in front of home plate. Disheartening??Yes, but, with a little bit of luck, ( another songwriter) we will hit at least a solid double in the fall/spring recruiting process. In our recruiters we trust.
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well I wouldn't say that but a possibility is

Winning isn’t everything It’s the only thing
petalumabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The mods not only stated that he isn't coming but they named him. On the Insider Board of course.
Yogi Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, that was unexpected.

Oh wait, it wasn't
UCBerkGrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
petalumabear said:

The mods not only stated that he isn't coming but they named him. On the Insider Board of course.
That's some good inside intel...."psst, hey buddy, I have the name of a kid who is NOT coming to Cal....will only cost you $11.50 a month for you to find out."
Civil Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yogi Bear said:

Well, that was unexpected.

Oh wait, it wasn't
I think about a month before that it was assumed by all it wasn't going to happen.
fat_slice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UCBerkGrad said:

petalumabear said:

The mods not only stated that he isn't coming but they named him. On the Insider Board of course.
That's some good inside intel...."psst, hey buddy, I have the name of a kid who is NOT coming to Cal....will only cost you $11.50 a month for you to find out."


Cal sports subscriptions mottos should be "where you can get your bad news sooner ... for a small fee."

Just lost out on our top running back prospect to Stanford. "In our recruiters we trust."
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dear Fat: I was exclusively referring to the Basketball recruiters .
puget sound cal fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought Coleman's release contained the standard, "no backsies" clause.
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
joe amos yaks said:

Coach Clarence "Nibs" Price was head coach of both football and basketball from 1926-30* then focused on basketball winning 6 PCC championships with a record of 449-294.

Then there is the mysterious matter of straight on wood grilled hamburgers (a "Nibs Burger") and fantastic pies at Nibs' Grill (1949-1968; sold and finally closing in 2013).
Anyone know what historical enrollment at Cal was?
How many students in 1910, 1920, 1930.... etc?
Page 6 of 6
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.