Are we gonna get that rumored grad transfer?

38,102 Views | 208 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by concordtom
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
June 9th, I think those grad ceremonies have mostly all happened by now, freeing him up to don that Cal hat by now, no?
helltopay1
No.
ColoradoBear
If not, can someone say where he went?
Econ141
I think you have to pay for that info.
KoreAmBear
Still the waiting game. To me the longer we wait the less likely we get him. But maybe Bassey?
stu
KoreAmBear said:

Still the waiting game. To me the longer we wait the less likely we get him.
I've heard our women are waiting on graduate admissions for a transfer of their own. Might be the same sort of delay with our men.
orindabear74
MPH program is reviewing applications now.
wifeisafurd
orindabear74 said:

MPH program is reviewing applications now.
To quote from another thread, their on the Cal fast track. There is a committee being appointed to name a search firm which will select an outside consultant to review the transfers; although, the Chancellor will have the final say.
stu
wifeisafurd said:

To quote from another thread, there on the Cal fast track. There is a committee being appointed to name a search firm which will select an outside consultant to review the transfers; although, the Chancellor will have the final say.

Probably the governor. The new governor. Whose name we won't know till November.
helltopay1
Dear Wife: i hope what you wrote was satire. If not, the final approval/disapproval will be given sometime in the year 2026. By that time the grad Transfer will have been married and divorced three times and we will talking about his nieces and nephews whose final three choices are Cal, Sac state and san quentin. The Chancellor and the AD need to cut the through the far too n numerous layers and streamline a process which fast tracks desired athletes into the Cal system. Of course, that's only me.
Yogi58
concordtom said:

June 9th, I think those grad ceremonies have mostly all happened by now, freeing him up to don that Cal hat by now, no?
Name the best grad transfer in Cal history. Then expect that guy to not be even half as good as that guy was.

People hoping that a grad transfer is really going to help up are too eager to lap up everything Wyking feeds them and call it water.
UCBerkGrad
helltopay1 said:

No.
Gonna be another long season.
KoreAmBear
Yogi Bear said:

concordtom said:

Name the best grad transfer in Cal history. Then expect that guy to not be even half as good as that guy was.

People hoping that a grad transfer is really going to help up are too eager to lap up everything Wyking feeds them and call it water.

Btw since the grad transfer program has not been around that long, for hoops it has to be Mullins?
TheSouseFamily
Yogi Bear said:

concordtom said:

It's fair to worry about whether this guy transfers but you should have ZERO worry about the quality of the player if he comes. This is a guy who has started over 100 games in college and has put up big numbers from day 1. He'd be our best big in a long time and very likely would be our best player next year (and probably an all conference player too). He'd fundamentally change the outlook for the year. We just need to get him in.
concordtom
You seem to know what you are talking about. Is his name a secret for any particular reason?
Civil Bear
concordtom said:

You seem to know what you are talking about. Is his name a secret for any particular reason?
Maybe because he doesn't want it known he is thinking of jumping to another program. That said, at this point, it looks like he decided not to.
UrsaMajor
exactly. My understanding is that the choice is stay put or transfer; wouldn't want to burn bridges.
TheSouseFamily
UrsaMajor said:

exactly. My understanding is that the choice is stay put or transfer; wouldn't want to burn bridges.

Right. That's my understanding too. I haven't seen this guy mentioned as a grad transfer anywhere so I suspect that the reason for radio silence is to not let other programs (or his current program, if he stayed) know that he's thinking about it.
wifeisafurd
helltopay1 said:

Dear Wife: i hope what you wrote was satire. If not, the final approval/disapproval will be given sometime in the year 2026. By that time the grad Transfer will have been married and divorced three times and we will talking about his nieces and nephews whose final three choices are Cal, Sac state and san quentin. The Chancellor and the AD need to cut the through the far too n numerous layers and streamline a process which fast tracks desired athletes into the Cal system. Of course, that's only me.
Yes, satire, though at this point.....
Yogi58
TheSouseFamily said:

Yogi Bear said:

concordtom said:

It's fair to worry about whether this guy transfers but you should have ZERO worry about the quality of the player if he comes. This is a guy who has started over 100 games in college and has put up big numbers from day 1. He'd be our best big in a long time and very likely would be our best player next year (and probably an all conference player too). He'd fundamentally change the outlook for the year. We just need to get him in.
LOL. We aren't getting a guy like that and if you think we are, you are deluding yourself. Probably getting bad info from the Insider board who is getting BS information from the coaching staff.
TheSouseFamily
My comment made no claim at all about the likelihood that we get the player, only that the player would be a major addition to the team if, praise Oski, that actually happened.
Yogi58
TheSouseFamily said:

My comment made no claim at all about the likelihood that we get the player, only that the player would be a major addition to the team if, praise Oski, that actually happened.
Reid Travis isn't coming here. You can stop thinking about it.
BeachedBear
Most would consider the potential transfer superior to Reid (who is transferring to Kentucky and working towards an MBA- Masters of Bourbon Acquisition).
TheSouseFamily
Yogi Bear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Reid Travis isn't coming here. You can stop thinking about it.

I wasn't talking about Reid Travis.
oskidunker
Coleman may transfer back after he graduates
Go Bears!
Big C
BeachedBear said:

Most would consider the potential transfer superior to Reid (who is transferring to Kentucky and working towards an MBA- Masters of Bourbon Acquisition).
Wait, have you and Souse figured out who it is? Because it hasn't been revealed yet on the Insider board. I guess, if I wanted to do my homework, I could figure it out (or at least narrow it down to 2-3), using the clues that have been revealed.
concordtom
Souse obviously has a name in mind, and he's not sharing.
But tell us this, Souse.... where did the name you have in mind come from. You can tell us that without revealing anything you may have promised not to disclose.
stu
If the possible transfer doesn't want to reveal his name then figuring it out and posting it is not likely to improve the chances he'll come to Cal. If he does come we'll know soon enough.
helltopay1
Dear Concord: Why torture yourself? The player obviously does not want his name revealed. If his name is splattered all over this site ( or any other) how does that help with our honoring his request? Patience is not only a virtue: Sometimes it is a necessity.
socaltownie
OK. Lets play 20 questions.

You can look at stats here
http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

Here is a notable site that has some of Marquettes targets

https://painttouches.com/2018/03/31/2018-ncaa-free-agent-tracker-3-31-edition/

So those in the know. Given THIS list were do you put the Mystery Grad Student? As good/better than
parentswerebears
Near the top.
TheSouseFamily
concordtom said:

But tell us this, Souse.... where did the name you have in mind come from. You can tell us that without revealing anything you may have promised not to disclose.

Tom - I'm not trying to be cute about it and didn't mean to open a can of worms here. I was just responding to the notion that grad transfers, even this potential one, are always insignificant contributors. I'm the wrong guy to chime in on what the current situation is with respect to the likelihood that this guy makes a move. I understand (and respect) the rationale of the staff as well as guys like Jim and Greg here to keep things on the DL while it all plays out for better or worse. That said, of all the posts here speculating on who this guy is (including my own early guesses), I don't think I've ever seen his name mentioned even once.
Alkiadt
TheSouseFamily said:

concordtom said:

Tom - I'm not trying to be cute about it and didn't mean to open a can of worms here. I was just responding to the notion that grad transfers, even this potential one, are always insignificant contributors. I'm the wrong guy to chime in on what the current situation is with respect to the likelihood that this guy makes a move. I understand (and respect) the rationale of the staff as well as guys like Jim and Greg here to keep things on the DL while it all plays out for better or worse. That said, of all the posts here speculating on who this guy is (including my own early guesses), I don't think I've ever seen his name mentioned even once.
I believe I am aware of this same potential grad transfer.
I agree with Souse; should he come, (and get admitted), we would all be very happy, as he has tons of experience, and very strong stats.
No, it's not Travis....and it's not an Ivy Leaguer.
But it's a moot point until he gets here.
parentswerebears
I do not have high hopes that he will be coming, but maybe miracles will happen.
socaliganbear
I wonder if he's talked to other programs, and if those others coaching staffs also think they have the same shot at landing him. . .

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.