Marcus Lee working out for Lakers today

8 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rkt88edmo
EricBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
EricBear
Staff
bearister
I am a big fan. Extreme quickness and hops. Good person. With good coaching he has a huge upside.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
socaliganbear
LeBron doesn't need this kind of project...
bearister
Under Cuonzo, Jaylen Brown looked like a project.
helltopay1
Dear Bearister: Marcus Lee is a sturdy golden bear. at this point, he is barely a D league player. he should carve out a niche for himself overseas somewhere.
bearister
helltopay1 said:

Dear Bearister: Marcus Lee is a sturdy golden bear. at this point, he is barely a D league player. he should carve out a niche for himself overseas somewhere.

We shall see. He was 100% mismanaged at Cal.
helltopay1
Marcus Lee was a fifth year senior. Every team had a full binder on Lee . 'mismanagement" has nothing to do with his natural skills or how his skills translate to the NBA. He is not projected to be drafted. 99% of players not drafted either wind up in the D league or they, if they are talented enough, carve out a career overseas somewhere. it is not a disgrace to either play in the D league or to play overseas. Water usually seeks its own level.
bearister
helltopay1 said:

Marcus Lee was a fifth year senior. Every team had a full binder on Lee . 'mismanagement" has nothing to do with his natural skills or how his skills translate to the NBA. He is not projected to be drafted. 99% of players not drafted either wind up in the D league or they, if they are talented enough, carve out a career overseas somewhere. it is not a disgrace to either play in the D league or to play overseas. Water usually seeks its own level.

The odds favor your analysis. I am a gambler.
socaliganbear
bearister said:

helltopay1 said:

How could that be, I was told repeatedly on this very forum by some of its most ardent followers that I was an idiot for calling Cuonzo a middle of the PAC coach.

Maybe this whole time they actually meant he was worse.
bearister
socaliganbear said:

bearister said:

helltopay1 said:

How could that be, I was told repeatedly on this very forum by some of its most ardent followers that I was an idiot for calling Cuonzo a middle of the PAC coach.

Maybe this whole time they actually meant he was worse.

Rabb lost millions staying another year and regressing under Cuonzo's useless tutelage.
helltopay1
DearBearister: rabb did not lose one penny. Rabb was probably told that he was a marginal first round talent . and, as a result, decided to stay another year. He also probably liked his teammates. The NBA evaluates raw, natural talent and potential. They knew that Rabb was a marginal first round talent whether he stayed one year or 20 years. again, water seeks its own level. Again, let's not glorify athletes just because they wear blue & gold. Separate cold, hard analysis from wishful thinking. I know this very hard to do. but, as the priest said to Paul newman, " we must try--we must try."
bearister
helltopay1 said:

DearBearister: rabb did not lose one penny. Rabb was probably told that he was a marginal first round talent . and, as a result, decided to stay another year. He also probably liked his teammates. The NBA evaluates raw, natural talent and potential. They knew that Rabb was a marginal first round talent whether he stayed one year or 20 years. again, water seeks its own level. Again, let's not glorify athletes just because they wear blue & gold. Separate cold, hard analysis from wishful thinking. I know this very hard to do. but, as the priest said to Paul newman, " we must try--we must try."

My position is some NBA teams may have had inaccurate perceptions after his first season at Cal regarding his abilities and were going to draft him fairly high in the First Round of the draft. By going back a second year those misperceptions went away, plus he was never going to improve under Cuonzo. BTW I think M. Lee is more athletic.

Your theory is based on the speculation Ivan Rabb was lying about what NBA representatives told him after his first season at Cal with regard to what his projected draft status was.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/projected-lottery-pick-cals-ivan-rabb-plummets-second-round-035732205.html

https://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/ivan-rabb-cal-bears-return-to-school-lottery-pick-mock-draft-050416

"Of the few who decided to return to school without even testing the waters was Cal's Ivan Rabb, who elected to bypass the draft process altogether and come back for his sophomore year at Cal.

It was a surprising move, especially when you consider that Rabb said he was told by NBA teams that he would have gone anywhere from No. 6 to 14 overall had he stayed in the draft. Meaning that by returning to school, he is almost certainly giving up millions of dollars next season. " Fox Sports

Being patronizing is never becoming and it can make you look foolish in the end.
helltopay1
Yes---lee is more "athletic" than Rabb. however, Rabb is a better player.
calumnus
socaliganbear said:

LeBron doesn't need this kind of project...

LeBron will need guys who can play interior defense (so he can rest) and will get out of his way on offense or dunk if left open. Oh, and won't take up much cap space. If the Lakers really are getting LeBron, I could definitely see Lee on the roster.
gobears
Marcus will probably not be drafted but will get teams asking him to join their Summer league rosters to take a look. Thus, trying to show well enough to get 2 way contract from a team by end of July...... and if not, a pre season camp invite to a team that are shallow at the 5 spot.

as Ty has done, put the work in the G league and if games develops and gets a call up... show well such that he can get offered a contract...

since G league (non 2 way players) salary is minimal, has to decide if this route vs higher salaries overseas is route to take... based on his performance this summer...

good luck to Marcus on his goal of making it to and sticking in the league.

goBears

BeachedBear
gobears said:

since G league (non 2 way players) salary is minimal, has to decide if this route vs higher salaries overseas is route to take... based on his performance this summer...

$7K per month is not that bad for a college graduate ($84K annually). Except they only get paid for 5 months.
gobears
BeachedBear said:

gobears said:

$7K per month is not that bad for a college graduate ($84K annually). Except they only get paid for 5 months.
Most recent college players that are NBA "maybe" have to decide if to go overseas with higher salary but reduces the chance to get to the league or go to the G league with a lower salary but higher chances to get call up.
Either path, players have to figure out how to improve and made skills adjustments to the pro game.

Ty is a good example of an "on the fence" NBA player out of college who has worked on his game (his 3 point shot is a good example) where once he got his name called has made the most of his opp and now will sign a NBA full contract soon.

And once in the league if at right place/time as one enters FA, can get a whale contract put in front of them to sign. (Alan Crabbe/Ryan Anderson)

concordtom
If Lee were to play with the Lakers, he'd have to be involved with the sick sideshow that is Lavar Ball. There's a piece about the Balls in the Washington Post. He's a arse even to his wife, who suffered a bad stroke that has robbed her of abilities.
BeachedBear
gobears said:

BeachedBear said:

gobears said:

Most recent college players that are NBA "maybe" have to decide if to go overseas with higher salary but reduces the chance to get to the league or go to the G league with a lower salary but higher chances to get call up.
Either path, players have to figure out how to improve and made skills adjustments to the pro game.

Ty is a good example of an "on the fence" NBA player out of college who has worked on his game (his 3 point shot is a good example) where once he got his name called has made the most of his opp and now will sign a NBA full contract soon.

And once in the league if at right place/time as one enters FA, can get a whale contract put in front of them to sign. (Alan Crabbe/Ryan Anderson)

Yup. Don't hear about players from Europe (or elsewhere) coming over mid-season. Also nothing like a 10-day call up as an injury replacement to make an impression in the NBA (like Ty and others). Also need to factor in lifestyle of living overseas. For some that can be a plus - for others that can be a frightening thought.

All in all, a pretty nice problem to have (when I graduated, I had a choice between SF and San Diego). The G-league minimum bump to $7K a month is a nice step up. I think it was significantly lower with the D-league - which would make overseas more attractive.
socaliganbear
Kawhi doesn't need this kind of project.
calumnus
socaliganbear said:

Kawhi doesn't need this kind of project.

Go Bears!
gobears
concordtom said:

If Lee were to play with the Lakers, he'd have to be involved with the sick sideshow that is Lavar Ball. There's a piece about the Balls in the Washington Post. He's a arse even to his wife, who suffered a bad stroke that has robbed her of abilities.
Marcus does not have to worry about sideshow distractions.... His "job 1" is to get with a team and develop his game... (lateral quickness to guard smalls on switches, etc)

One advantage Marcus has is his salary if he makes a roster will be at the league minimum...

All teams are looking for players to fill their rosters that can fill in PT minutes but with minimal salary impact., contribute a bit, and maybe is unpolished that can contribute more than their salary slot

All the tier 1 players all want "max" that consume all the salary space...

Why do you think Damian Jones is making the 2018/19 GSW roster?
Likewise Kevan Looney the past 3 years..

rooting for Marcus to show well next month in Vegas...

goBears

EricBear
Staff

rkt88edmo
Yeah, didn't D-keague used to be more like 45k back in the Rod Benson days, so you figure maybe 55k now, didn't realize G-league got them a bump up, good for the players.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.