Charles Bassey Not Coming...

6,950 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by concordtom
socaliganbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

First Nevada, now Western Kentucky. Cool...
Big C
Somebody explain to me why a top prospect would go to Western Kentucky? I'm guessing their school color is now "green", if you catch my drift.

And please, don't anybody answer this by asking why a top prospect would come to Cal! Really, do not. (The reason is because we are the good guys.)
KoreAmBear
BeachedBear
Big C said:

Somebody explain to me why a top prospect would go to Western Kentucky? I'm guessing their school color is now "green", if you catch my drift.

And please, don't anybody answer this by asking why a top prospect would come to Cal! Really, do not. (The reason is because we are the good guys.)
Risk Stansbury is no slouch as a coach. They also have a great exchange program with University of Akureyri in Iceland!
TheSouseFamily
BeachedBear said:

Big C said:

Risk Stansbury is no slouch as a coach. They also have a great exchange program with University of Akureyri in Iceland!

I think if you asked Mississippi State fans, they'd tell you that he's not much of a coach but one hell of a recruiter. Maybe even a little too good for the NCAA's liking which is why he left Miss State under very odd circumstances.

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/state-fans-whats-your-opinion-of-rick-stansbury/62109326/page-2/
bluehenbear
Let the board meltdown begin...or will it be after the mystery grad transfer decides to stay put?
helltopay1
Whatever happened to stone geddings?? Still in play?? He can help.
Vineyardview
Likely not enough to save the current administration.
wifeisafurd
Big C said:

Great mascot.

Edit: with high five star players going to such academic heavyweights as Nevada and Western Kentucky, it demonstrates that the one and done rule really blows.
parentswerebears
I hope it goes away soon.
parentswerebears
I was thinking. Guys like Bassey want a couple of things. Wyking can offer them none of those things, yet. Don't know if he will be able to.
1. Money? I don't know if this is a reality- but maybe. Not at Cal. I hope.
2. The ability to coach you up. Here, we just don't know. Doesn't look like he can do that right now.
3. Instant winning. Definitely not at Cal
4. An experience. This is the most personal of the things they want and, it seems the most unusual- also the only one Wyking can offer right now.
Edit:
5. Come in and be the savior of the program. Cal can't even get this.
helltopay1
Dear parents: What exactly do you teach??
parentswerebears
Middle school English right now, but I'm a history teacher to my core.
Edit: Yeah, I know my writing is atrocious. How can I possibly teach it?
ColoradoBear
I really didn't see how an out of state student would be UC eligible if they reclassified. There is a UC required core class set, and while classes in CA high schools are designed to easily meet those reqs, it's not exactly the first thing other states schools would be trying to do. You take a whole year out of coursework and it has to be even harder (how do students reclassify anyways? Online ged style classes/tests?)
parentswerebears
bluehenbear said:

Let the board meltdown begin...or will it be after the mystery grad transfer decides to stay put?

Nope. No meltdown. Just me. That's because nobody gives a **** about Cal Men's basketball. They have given up all hope, at least with the current coach.
helltopay1
Dear Parents: Stop speaking for other people.
concordtom
parentswerebears said:

bluehenbear said:

Nope. No meltdown. Just me. That's because nobody gives a **** about Cal Men's basketball. They have given up all hope, at least with the current coach.
Damn, dude.
You are depressed, have taken a step down into the basement.
It's okay, relax....
Lots of good new stuff to watch new year:
Bradley
Gordon
Kelly
Vanover

That enough for me. I think we will suck b/c we don't have a couple more bigs, but I can still find joy in it.
parentswerebears
Consensus: I need to take a break and go do some fun summer stuff. Sorry if I offended anyone or pissed you off.
Yogi58
parentswerebears said:

bluehenbear said:

I care, but from a distance. They have to show me something before I am willing to invest a lot into the program.
concordtom
My comment wasn't berating you. It was concern for you and just saying, hey, the sky is not falling my friend.
It's the heat, right? The heat is finally here for us. I hate this time of year.
BeachedBear
parentswerebears said:

bluehenbear said:

PWB. . . it's just a game. There is a lot of forces out there trying to make it more than that, but at the end of the day it's young men playing basketball (and some people making a lot of money off of that - none of whom are complaining). We're in a down cycle and Jones maybe gets more heat than he may deserve - because some people need a target to vent their frustration. It's a tough time to be overly supportive - so why not be quietly supportive until there is something to cheer about (like first game of the season).

Try not to get hung up on recruiting or off season stories. This has been going on for decades. Twitter may make it seem more in your face, but that is just your face - not reality 18 year-olds have been considering Cal and opting for other choices forever. Nothing really new here other than perhaps more transparency.

But I've been to this rodeo before (as have many others). It's not that I don't give a ****, it's just that I give less **** than when we're winning and having more fun. I'd stop giving a ****, if they were to shut the program down or make coming to Berkeley 20 times a year impossible. Complaining and feeling sorry just doesn't do much to change things. Hey, I've tried and it doesn't work. So instead, I just give less *****

:gobears
:itwilltasteevensweeterwhenwestartwinningagain
Yogi58
BeachedBear said:

Jones maybe gets more heat than he may deserve

Less. Far, far less.
oskidunker
Things even out. The basketball gods gave us Rabb and Brown. Now we have Blueblood and the Mysterious Traveler.
Go Bears!
helltopay1
Dear Yogi & others who are of a like-minded persuasion: any criticism and /or praise for WJ will have to wait until after the 2019-2020 season. That's the year he will be judged on how well/poorly his recruits performed for the entire year. Any praise/criticism before that season is premature because it will be based upon incomplete information. I am willing to wait. Who else its willing to wait? How would you like your performance at work, at school or at home to be based upon incomplete information/ didn't think so.
BeachedBear
helltopay1 said:

Dear Yogi & others who are of a like-minded persuasion: any criticism and /or praise for WJ will have to wait until after the 2019-2020 season. That's the year he will be judged on how well/poorly his recruits performed for the entire year. Any praise/criticism before that season is premature because it will be based upon incomplete information. I am willing to wait. Who else its willing to wait? How would you like your performance at work, at school or at home to be based upon incomplete information/ didn't think so.
I generally agree with you HTP, but I think there needs to be (will be) an interim judgment at the end of 2018/2019. I'm not sure what the exact metrics are going to be, but improvement must be seen and fewer mistakes than last season. Jones no longer has the excuse for it being his first year as a coach. He was a stretch hire, that would be called 'probationary' in most other circles.

He doesn't need to finish top 4 in conference, but probably needs to be in double digit wins and the players need to show some fight and improvement over last year. I actually think this is very possible with this team and staff.

As for work & school . . . I don't think anyone ever gets a 3-year trial period before getting their grades. As an employer, I generally remove folks after 6 months if they aren't working out.
TheSouseFamily
I'm basically with you as well HTP. I've always said that out rebuild should ideally look similar in many respects to the USC rebuild (absent the FBI inquiries, naturally). Enfield went 2-16 and 3-15 his first two years before getting to .500 in his third and improving every year since. Lot of SC fans were calling for Enfield's head after year 2 but I suspect SC is glad they showed a little patience, which was justified by good recruiting. Obviously other factors come into play when assessing how program development is coming along but a mediocre or even poor upcoming season may not be grounds for action if other factors (especially recruiting) are trending positively.
helltopay1
Dear souse: Good post. John Madden always made the point that you have to wait three years before you can fairly evaluate a draft. We should adopt this as a model, always, allowing, of course, that there will always be apples and oranges during this period. I might be inclined to give WJ a grade after 2018-2019 but I hesitate to do so because he does not have the tools in the front court available to other teams. So, let's see if he can recruit at least one top-flight man this fall and let';s see how this man jells with his other teammates during the season. Anyone is free to evaluate WJ at any time. it's a free country. For me, I will be totally prepared to evaluate the entire program after the 2019-2020 season. time for breakfast.
oskidunker
If the scheme is bad again and no screens are set for shooters, he needs to go.
Go Bears!
calumnus
People, when a 5 star player goes to Western Kentucky there are hundreds of schools with better academics and better athletic programs in better areas that he has passed up. No need for "woe is Cal" or "Fire Wyking." If Western Kentucky is what he wants that is about as opposite of Cal as you can get.

They should just let 18 year olds go straight to the D League.
oskidunker
Western Kentucky made the NCAA playoffs 2012 and 2013. Not exactly a bad team there.
Go Bears!
Big C
helltopay1 said:

Dear souse: Good post. John Madden always made the point that you have to wait three years before you can fairly evaluate a draft. We should adopt this as a model, always, allowing, of course, that there will always be apples and oranges during this period. I might be inclined to give WJ a grade after 2018-2019 but I hesitate to do so because he does not have the tools in the front court available to other teams. So, let's see if he can recruit at least one top-flight man this fall and let';s see how this man jells with his other teammates during the season. Anyone is free to evaluate WJ at any time. it's a free country. For me, I will be totally prepared to evaluate the entire program after the 2019-2020 season. time for breakfast.
Look, I'm a patient Wyking defender, but we need to show noticeable improvement over last season. Maybe that means going minimum 12-20 overall, 5-13 conference, or maybe the improvement is measured holistically. I'll know it when I see it, but we need to show better play on the court and keep the recruiting going.

And I think we will. That bar is not set very high (but it will keep getting raised).

Edit: Careless number corrected.
Civil Bear
How about just not get embarrassed at home by directional schools.
UrsaMajor
Big C said:

helltopay1 said:

Look, I'm a patient Wyking defender, but we need to show noticeable improvement over last season. Maybe that means going minimum 12-20 overall, 5-12 conference, or maybe the improvement is measured holistically. I'll know it when I see it, but we need to show better play on the court and keep the recruiting going.

And I think we will. That bar is not set very high (but it will keep getting raised).
I've been a WJ defender as well, but I think 12-20/5-13 (you can only go 5-12 if one game is cancelled) is not good enough. He's got some decent players with a year under their belts (McNeill, JHD, Sueing) and some promising freshmen. If he can get the team near to .500, I think he's going to be in trouble.
Big C
UrsaMajor said:

Big C said:

helltopay1 said:

Look, I'm a patient Wyking defender, but we need to show noticeable improvement over last season. Maybe that means going minimum 12-20 overall, 5-12 conference, or maybe the improvement is measured holistically. I'll know it when I see it, but we need to show better play on the court and keep the recruiting going.

I've been a WJ defender as well, but I think 12-20/5-13 (you can only go 5-12 if one game is cancelled) is not good enough. He's got some decent players with a year under their belts (McNeill, JHD, Sueing) and some promising freshmen. If he can get the team near to .500, I think he's going to be in trouble.
I can't believe I wrote 5-12 as a conference record! (edited)

You're right: I really lowered the bar after another poster mentioned Enfield's 2-16 and then 3-15, plus another poster's prediction of single-digit wins (overall record).

Point is, if this next year's team shows significant improvement (again, I'll know it when I see it) and WJ is still recruiting well, I think he survives to try a third season. And after last year's debacle, the Bears could still be pretty crappy, overall, but be significantly improved from 2017-18.

I can wait another year, as long as we are obviously headed in the right direction.
wifeisafurd
Big C said:

UrsaMajor said:

Big C said:

helltopay1 said:

I can't believe I wrote 5-12 as a conference record! (edited)

You're right: I really lowered the bar after another poster mentioned Enfield's 2-16 and then 3-15, plus another poster's prediction of single-digit wins (overall record).

Point is, if this next year's team shows significant improvement (again, I'll know it when I see it) and WJ is still recruiting well, I think he survives to try a third season. And after last year's debacle, the Bears could still be pretty crappy, overall, but be significantly improved from 2017-18.

I can wait another year, as long as we are obviously headed in the right direction.
Savior grad recruit or not this is a couple year rebuild. Essentially no front court experience, very young everywhere but at point guard, a new point guard, and no real sense at this time of offensive or defensive identity. What could possibly go wrong? Your very right about needing patience, and for ability to see WJ after next season depends on the patience of the new AD and donors.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.