Who's side are you on with Chauca vs. WJ?

21,099 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFCityBear
dpy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chauca's article makes it seem like he just got the raw end of a deal for no good reason. It seems like Wyking Jones is this evil, cruel, heartless, person who wanted to make his life as miserable as possible. I don't know what to believe but if Chauca's story is the truth I feel bad for him and Jones has got some sick twisted agenda on his mind.
socaliganbear
What if you don't care for either of them? That's me.
Eastern Oregon Bear
There's only a vague resemblance to the truth in Chauca's story. Thus far, Wyking has chosen not to air the dirty laundry in public, so he's looking bad to those who have only read Chauca's version.
Big C
I'm on WJ's side. Reliable sources here have stated that Chauca's story is FAR from "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth". If WJ handled it like Chauca said, that's not good, but, frankly, Chauca lacks credibility at this point.

Chauca got accepted to Cal, he got the vast majority of his college education paid for, he got a chance to compete as a college basketball player (along with any peer standing that comes with that) and he was shepherded almost to the point of graduation despite at least one fairly serious transgression. I'm not seeing a victim here.
NVBear78
Wyking
MoragaBear
Staff
Well, he got caught plagiarizing twice according to several that would know on the academic side and if he were a regular student, he probably would've been expelled after the first incident, let alone the second. There are a bunch of other conduct issues, too.

His expose showed monumental bad judgment, at a minimum.
graguna
I'll side with our coach vs a former player
Chapman_is_Gone
dpy said:

Chauca's article makes it seem like he just got the raw end of a deal for no good reason. It seems like Wyking Jones is this evil, cruel, heartless, person who wanted to make his life as miserable as possible. I don't know what to believe but if Chauca's story is the truth I feel bad for him and Jones has got some sick twisted agenda on his mind.
Why in the world did you start a new thread on this when there is one just five spots down?
TheSouseFamily
Honestly? I think Chauca is the least skilled and least talented scholarship player I've seen in a very long time. Not just at Cal, but at any power conference school. That's normally a thought I'd keep to myself, especially about one of our own. But his absolutely ridiculous, eye-rolling and comically arrogant "testimonial", combined with his past behavioral issues removes the reluctance to be honest/critical that I'd normally have in just about any other situation.

Haven't heard much news on his grad transfer destination other than that IUPUI kicked the tires briefly. Strange outcome for a guy who compared himself favorably to Jabari Bird and "was considered one of the best, if not the best shooter on a team full of extremely accurate perimeter shooters."
KenBurnski
Maybe he meant most accurate when the guys got together to play NBA 2K
concordtom
Y'all are harsh.
And I thought I was bad...
calumnus
I am on both of their sides...and neither.

I generally support the student athletes who wear the Cal uniform and will be fellow Cal alums for life, over the people we pay for a few years to coach them.

The article did not make me sympathetic to Chauca.
He does not seem grateful for the opportunity unities he has been given and this article offered no path to his goal. It was just public revenge.

As a thought: when presenting the options of 1) stay in school on scholarship but not on the team or 2) transfer to another school to play, could there be a third option 3) stay in school and on the team, but as a walk-on/not on scholarship? Or on a partial scholarship?
GMP
concordtom said:

Y'all are harsh.
And I thought I was bad...
I'm usually very deferential to our student-athletes - but if the allegations on this board that he committed plagiarism (twice!) are true, then he's a POS for his "article" , which conveniently left that part out while ripping our school, program, and coach.

And while I commend Coach Jones for trying to be the adult and taking the high road on this, I think a public statement in response to Chauca's article, explaining his student conduct issues, was warranted.
MoragaBear
Staff
With the various conduct issues involved, the last option was not a viable one.
tequila4kapp
I don't know what happened but didn't care for the article. Add in the alleged academic misconduct (x2) and unreported other stuff and I'm in the WJ camp.
UrsaMajor
tequila4kapp said:

I don't know what happened but didn't care for the article. Add in the alleged academic misconduct (x2) and unreported other stuff and I'm in the WJ camp.
Agreed. In retrospect, it may have been a mistake for WJ to go to bat for him with the academic side.
MoragaBear
Staff
You can google some of his other legal problems while a student. They're not good at all, which makes it all the more stunning that he'd put something out about the Cal staff and his grievances with them.
socaliganbear
MoragaBear said:

You can google some of his other legal problems while a student. They're not good at all, which makes it all the more stunning that he'd put something out about the Cal staff and his grievances with them.
Oh f*ck. This kid needs to disappear from all public forums. . .
NYCGOBEARS
socaliganbear said:

MoragaBear said:

Wowza! This kid continues to make very poor choices.
petalumabear
NYCGOBEARS said:

socaliganbear said:

MoragaBear said:

Wowza! This kid continues to make very poor choices.
But Tom has his back...... in spite of all that's alleged...
moonpod
socaliganbear said:

MoragaBear said:

Yeah the google search is....enlightening
SRBear
my google must not be very good...could not find anything regarding Chauca...at least not of first like 5 pages.
Eastern Oregon Bear
moonpod said:

socaliganbear said:

MoragaBear said:

Yikes! The arrest report from last December was shocking. If guilty, he should be doing jail time.
CALiforniALUM
Looks like we have our own Brock Turner. Disgusting.
NYCGOBEARS
CALiforniALUM said:

Looks like we have our own Brock Turner. Disgusting.

Worse.
TheSouseFamily
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

moonpod said:

socaliganbear said:

MoragaBear said:

Yikes! The arrest report from last December was shocking. If guilty, he should be doing jail time.

There are actually two from last December (in two different states), just a week apart. The first one obviously more unsettling than the second. Not a good week for him. And why I didn't feel too bad about being critical (albeit honest) about him earlier in the thread having known this.
PtownBear1
Woah. Just googled his name + arrest. Even if he's ultimately acquitted, I can't believe someone who has that hanging over their head would be stupid enough to boost their profile by talking to the press.
philbert
what the hell?
socaliganbear
philbert said:

what the hell?
yes... ***.
MoragaBear
Staff
Never heard if the guy pursued the charges further
ColoradoBear
Wow, did people know about this back in december?

Seems like the chronicle is off it's game....

Guess he was not on the team then, so not sure who's business it was. Still, if it involved a fellow student, then it should be University business.

Finally, is localcrimenews.com even a legit site?
Big C
ColoradoBear said:

Wow, did people know about this back in december?

Seems like the chronicle is off it's game....

Guess he was not on the team then, so not sure who's business it was. Still, if it was a fellow student, then it should be University business.
Yeah, I'm surprised this didn't receive more publicity at the time. Last time I checked, the SF Chron takes almost a perverse delight in running stories entitled "Former Cal Athlete Arrested for... "

Maybe the charges were dropped shortly after the arrest? What is the current status of this case?
MoragaBear
Staff
Whether charges were dropped or not, that never stopped the Chronicle from digging dirt. Looks like they just missed it.
LongTimeBearFan
I guess my Google must stink too... when I type in Chauca's name and 'arrest' I get nothing back.... any more hints/specifics?
oskidunker
It doesnt matter in the overall scheme of things since three other players were thrown off the team.
Go Bears!
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.