OT: Stanfraud in real life

5,397 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by helltopay1
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stanford drop out indicted for fraud

http://www.businessinsider.com/theranos-founder-ceo-elizabeth-holmes-life-story-bio-2018-4
Go Bears!
StrawberryCanyon
It's kind of ironic that your post includes a quote from Jack Welch. Welch cooked the books at GE and got out just in time. He is one of the most overrated CEOs ever.

A friend of mine who went to Stanford Business School told me that Holmes gave at least nine speeches at Stanford in the two years that he was there. I guess that nobody thought to ask her if the product was real or whatever.

As long as we're making fun of Holmes...don't forget the accomplices on Theranos' board: Mattis, Schultz, Kissinger, Boies, etc. It was a great money-making / fraud opportunity for the Hoover Institution clowns.

Big C
I can read the full story (with the latest updates) a few times a year and never get tired of it!
ColoradoBear
Is she getting locked up? Seems worse for society than what Martha Stewart did.
tequila4kapp
ColoradoBear said:

Is she getting locked up? Seems worse for society than what Martha Stewart did.
+1
SFCityBear
We never seem to tire of the off-topic. My question is could she play basketball?
UrsaMajor
SFCityBear said:

We never seem to tire of the off-topic. My question is could she play basketball?
No, although she claimed that shots she took that hit the rim should be worth 1-point...
rkt88edmo
She has a sweet stroke and is 100% on free throws, but only when no one is watching.

The funniest part of the story is the storied BoD she assembled and the investors she was able to continue to lead on based on NOTHING with no audited financials for so long.
prospeCt

"Give to Cal Legends! https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it ", if so inclined, & beneficent 🙏🏼
helltopay1
Elizabeth Holmes should change her name to Hillary clinton. All charges would be dropped, she could run for President on the democratic ticket, and, when she lost, she could write a book entitled " what happened."
helltopay1
In addition, this wunderkind proves once again that, there is no correlation whatsoever between raw intelligence, maniacal work habits and sane and ethical behavior. Psychologists and behavioral profilers have always maintained that many, if not most serial killers have very high I.Q's. Elizabeth was not a serial killer but she used her brilliant mind to defraud customers and make life miserable for her employees. Jail time??Of course: Martha Stewart was jailed in essence for lying to investigators. lying???That's it??Most of us start lying when we are five years old. Some of the lies we tell are necessary to just survive. The poet, mr. Pope, had it right when he said that " an honest man was the noblest work of God. Everything else is leather and prunella."
Civil Bear
helltopay1 said:

In addition, this wunderkind proves once again that, there is no correlation whatsoever between raw intelligence, maniacal work habits and sane and ethical behavior. Psychologists and behavioral profilers have always maintained that many, if not most serial killers have very high I.Q's. Elizabeth was not a serial killer but she used her brilliant mind to defraud customers and make life miserable for her employees. Jail time??Of course: Martha Stewart was jailed in essence for lying to investigators. lying???That's it??Most of us start lying when we are five years old. Some of the lies we tell are necessary to just survive. The poet, mr. Pope, had it right when he said that " an honest man was the noblest work of God. Everything else is leather and prunella."
I believe it was for lying to a grand jury.
helltopay1
Dear Civil: yes it was . Selective prosecution.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Civil Bear said:

helltopay1 said:

I believe it was for lying to a grand jury.
Actually, there were 3 charges. From Wikipedia:

Stewart was found guilty in March 2004 of felony charges of conspiracy, obstruction of an agency proceeding, and making false statements to federal investigators, and was sentenced in July 2004 to serve a five-month term in a federal correctional facility and a two-year period of supervised release (to include five months of electronic monitoring).

That didn't even include the insider trading allegations, for which she paid around $200,000 in restitution and fines. Another case where the attempted cover up was worse than the initial crime. If she had owned up and paid back what she had saved by trading early, she probably wouldn't have served any time at all.
helltopay1
Dear Eastern: Thanks for thge update.
calumnus
helltopay1 said:

Elizabeth Holmes should change her name to Hillary clinton. All charges would be dropped, she could run for President on the democratic ticket, and, when she lost, she could write a book entitled " what happened."

https://synbiobeta.com/trump-taps-elizabeth-holmes-to-lead-fda/
Civil Bear
calumnus said:

helltopay1 said:

Just curious calumnus: are you aware or unaware you a sending us to an April Fools gag in June?
GoCal80
The former COO of Theranos received his MBA at Cal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramesh_Balwani

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-theranos-elizabeth-holmes-20180615-story.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/theranos-former-president-sunny-balwani-role-in-the-company-2018-5

calumnus
Civil Bear said:

calumnus said:

helltopay1 said:

Just curious calumnus: are you aware or unaware you a sending us to an April Fools gag in June?

Yes, it was a fake news response to HelltoPay's fake news post. Why don't we just get back to bashing Furds? We can all agree on that.
helltopay1
Dear cal alumnus: There was nothing fake about my post:
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.