Winston to transfer?

11,220 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by puget sound cal fan
85Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw this tweet an hour ago and was expecting a discussion here but didn't see anything yet.

MoragaBear
Staff
The tweet would be a lot more more meaningful if it included a destination but I'm pretty confident both Winston will be playing elsewhere next season -scholarship or not.
85Bear
Regardless of where he's transferring to, I'm just relieved to hear that a resolution is on the horizon.
helltopay1
Cal will be logging more than 18,000 miles on the road. Recipe for success and growth or recipe for fatigue??
Yogi58
85Bear said:

Regardless of where he's transferring to, I'm just relieved to hear that a resolution is on the horizon.
If there was a resolution on the horizon, I think we'd know what it is. Right now, I think we're still at Dewey beats Truman stage.

tequila4kapp
Yogi Bear said:

85Bear said:

If there was a resolution on the horizon, I think we'd know what it is. Right now, I think we're still at Dewey beats Truman stage.

Winston deciding to transfer is a resolution, no?
85Bear
Yogi Bear said:

Yes, of course it's not resolved until he actually transfers, but after weeks of no news, I am thankful there is some movement in that direction.
calgo430
good luck to him. hope it happens.
EricBear
Staff
Deschon is currently in summer school at Cal so who really knows about a timeline.

TheSouseFamily
Surprised that his twitter profile still reads "Cal Berkeley Basketball" and not "Cal Berkeley student" or "Basketball Player".
helltopay1
still at Cal?????How depressing. How can he be testing the waters elsewhere if he's still hanging around?????doesn't make me happy.
HoopDreams
What's wrong with him taking summer school? He is furthering his education and it looks like continuing to workout in Berkeley. I'm cool with that
helltopay1
Dear Hoop: The longer he hangs around Cal, the less time he is taking to explore other basketball opportunities. Cal is trying very hard to free up those scholarships ( Winston and Austin) so that we can offer actionable scholarship offers to eager recruits. Thge longer those scholarships are held in abeyance thge greater thge likelihood that the recruits will sign elsewhere. Hello????????
joe amos yaks
The Lad is taking classes. He's achievement oriented.
He isn't hanging around looking at chics like Snoopy "Joe Cool".
Cal in the 2000's is different than in the 1950's.
He'll probably transfer to Cornell or Tulane.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
helltopay1
Dear Yaks:
1) If he's not looking at chicks, something is wrong with him. Don't care if it's 2018 or the jurassic period.
20 Cornell or Tulane??Inside info or did you just throw out the first two schools which popped into your head?
joe amos yaks
No idea . . . might be Tulane, Wheaton, or Pepperdine, but it won't be PAC12 or ASu.
helltopay1
Dear Yaks: As long as he transfers within the next 10 years, I'll be satisfied.
joe amos yaks
He will aka Dkr Winston in 10 years.
helltopay1
Just heard from Dkr winston: Transfer date is september, 2034. He hopes this " doesn't cause any confusion."
puget sound cal fan
I would think the Pepperdine, Loyola, Santa Clara, etc would be potential destinations for Winston.
helltopay1
dear puget: same question. do you have inside info???
concordtom
Dear Hell,
It sounds like you could care less about Deschon the person and are only interested in him burning in your fires so that some new meat can come and dance for your pleasure.

Bobodeluxe
Those ladies weren't employed for their dancing abilities.
helltopay1
dear Concord: Naturally you are right. you are always right. it was silly of me to think I could fool you.
Big C
helltopay1 said:

dear puget: same question. do you have inside info???
Folks are simply coming up with a survey list of the "lowest-level" programs that still offer full athletic scholarships (preferably West Coast and also decent-to-good academic schools). Colleges that play at a talent-level where DW might be considered worthy of a basketball scholarship.

Places like San Jose State.

The dude can play college ball. He just needs to find his level. He can also succeed in college, academically. Not a bad situation to be in, really. Let's hope he finds a good "fit", ASAP.
concordtom
helltopay1 said:

dear Concord: Naturally you are right. you are always right. it was silly of me to think I could fool you.
Why, thank you, Hell.
So nice to be complimented.

What's that about the Laws of Attraction? You're looking better all the time!
oskidunker
He could have played at Cal with the right coaching.
Go Bears!
stu
oskidunker said:

He could have played at Cal with the right coaching.
Which he, Hell or Concord?
oskidunker
Helltopay2
Go Bears!
concordtom
Cal State East Bay, baby!
(Do they have a hoops Team?)
UrsusTexicanus
concordtom said:

Yep. From the thread on next year's non conference schedule:

Fans get their first look at a youth-packed Cal squad on Oct. 30 in an exhibition against CSU East Bay

Division II, 10-18 last year. Not quite Villanova level.
SFCityBear
UrsusTexicanus said:

concordtom said:

Yep. From the thread on next year's non conference schedule:

Fans get their first look at a youth-packed Cal squad on Oct. 30 in an exhibition against CSU East Bay

Division II, 10-18 last year. Not quite Villanova level.

No, not Villanova level, but here is some food for thought from last year's Division II:

CSU East Bay 88, Holy Names College 75

Chaminade 85, Holy Names College 74

You remember Chaminade, right? That little school in Hawaii which blew Cal out of the gym last season 96-72? They eventually finished 16-12.

Let's hope the Bears were distracted by the girls and the beaches in Maui last year in that one, particularly leaving the paint wide open open all night. If CSU East Bay is anywhere close in ability to Chaminade, the Bears had best bring their A-game to play them, even at Haas.
puget sound cal fan
Nope. No inside info.
concordtom
Cal vs east bay at haas will be a glorified scrimmage!
And if I'm wrong, it's an exhibition.
Save your anxiety for later.
SFCityBear
concordtom said:

Cal vs east bay at haas will be a glorified scrimmage!
And if I'm wrong, it's an exhibition.
Save your anxiety for later.
I never have anxiety over Cal basketball. I was fortunate to grow up when the best basketball in the country was being played in the Bay Area. I've seen all the Pete Newell teams play and I've seen Cal win the NCAA title. I don't need to see it again. I do hope that Cal becomes a winner again, mostly for all the fans who haven't had the privilege of seeing and following such an exciting ride, but I hope that Cal does not sell its soul to do it. We tried that once, failed, and the inevitable probation followed. What I would like to see is Cal play a little better. Can't we at least TRY and LOOK a little like Chaminade does when we play basketball? You know - move without the ball, screen, pass, put the ball in the basket, and play tough defense?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.