Don Coleman Podcast Interview

2,832 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFCityBear
Chunger89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://soundcloud.com/morethanthemasterspodcast/don-coleman-taking-my-talents-to-south-alabama

Interesting to hear some of his thoughts in regards to how the season went
dmoy
just listened to this and the interviewer talked a LOT more than don did, which was kind of annoying...but don gave some insight, from his perspective, into:

• theo: parted ways after wichita state game. don said theo was a players' coach and was more relateable because he was younger
  • suspension: suspended twice actually. first time was after the blue/gold scrimmage for calling the ref a mf-er for not getting an and-1 late in the game. second time was for the ucla/usc roadtrip--wyking benched don after issuing an ultimatum on technical fouls. coleman got a double tech with ayton against arizona and was benched the next game against ASU. marcus got a double tech against ASU but wasn't benched for the following practice. coleman walked out of that practice after saying he was just going to the bathroom and that earned him the road trip suspension.
  • said cuonzo was more respected than wyking. nobody spoke when cuonzo spoke. individual workouts were mandatory under cuonzo but not mandatory under wyking.
  • no leader among the players this past year. hamilton tried to lead but he had the walk-on stigma. "scholarship egos"
  • he volunteered to the play the 1 to let darius play the 2.
  • guesses that wyking will only last one more year.
  • didn't feel like he improved during the season, not much player development from the coaching staff.
  • he was "faking it" throughout the year with the coaches especially after the suspension. he didn't really respect them and felt like he was in a bad situation.
  • knew that he couldn't stay another year at cal after
socaliganbear
Makes sense.
superbear99
thanks for the summary Dmoy. Started listening but the interviewer talked way too much as you noted. Made it impossible to listen..
PtownBear1
Wow, he really let loose. I'm always skeptical of anything that comes from a disgruntled employee though...

Appreciate the summary.
Yogi58
I agree with him that he didn't improve. Not inclined to blame the coaches for that though. Plenty of other things that can be laid at Wyking's feet.
UCBerkGrad
Yogi Bear said:

I agree with him that he didn't improve. Not inclined to blame the coaches for that though. Plenty of other things that can be laid at Wyking's feet.
I blame the coaches. It's their job to get players to improve. Ultimately, they burden the responsibility.

Yogi58
UCBerkGrad said:

Yogi Bear said:

I blame the coaches. It's their job to get players to improve. Ultimately, they burden the responsibility.
So should we blame Monty because Ricky Kreklow never improved his shot? Because Bak Bak, Emerson Murray, and Kahlil Johnson never did anything?

Sometimes the players just aren't good enough. Like in Coleman's case.
SFCityBear
Coleman had his good points. He was more athletic, faster and quicker than anyone on the team, IMO. He was, however , a loose cannon, with poor decisions with the ball, and more so with his temper.

In spite of that, I felt he was grossly misused by Wyking Jones. When Jones announced publicly, prior to the first center jump of the season, that "Coleman is our go-to guy," indicating that Coleman would be the player the team depended upon most to score points, I wrote at the time that it was a bad idea, in my opinion. Yes, he was capable of scoring a lot of points in certain matchups, but the way he had scored points all his life was to get into the lane and be quicker and jump higher than his defender. But to tell Coleman that he would be the "go-to" guy on the Cal team, put too much pressure on him, and likely did not endear him to his teammates. That statement told our opponents who to stop in our offense, and most all of them figured it out in a hurry. Why would you telegraph your strategy to opponents before you play them?

Wyking Jones played Coleman in the wrong position, IMO. Coleman realized in high school that he could score, but not shoot threes well. He played a year in JC to get ready for Division One, and what he worked hard on there was probably not threes, but point guard skills, and he raised his assist totals quite a bit from high school. He realized that he was not going anywhere in this game as just a scorer, and his best chance was as a point guard.

I would have started him at point guard. Wyking Jones let him have the green light shooting threes. I would not have let him shoot threes, maybe one or two a game, that is it. He was a great penetrator, who could make some shots in the lane, but who needed to learn point guard skills and court vision. But I would still have played him there, because he had the strongest dribble, the best handle, the quickest first step of the other choices. I did not know what McNeill could do, and it is hindsight for me to say he should have been the SG and Coleman the PG. But I did think it from the beginning. It was good to hear that he volunteered to play PG and let McNeill play the SG. I don't know if Coleman could ever learn to see the court and pass well. Most good point guards learn that early in life or are born with it. But I'd rather have seen Coleman as the leader of that team, if there was an offense to actually run. Wyking had two ways to use him: give him the green light, or try to rein him in have him just standing there passing around the perimeter and hope McNeill or Sueing or Lee could score one on one. Either way, it did not work. I know Jones used Coleman as a backup PG for McNeill, but it is not the same as starting him as PG, and giving him an offense to lead. That would give DC more confidence.

He was a head case, and I don't know if he will ever get past that. But he usually busted his butt on the floor for Cal, and I wish him the best on his next team.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.